ADVERTISEMENT

"Let's bring Nebraska back." - Bill Snyder

Snyder is awesome, and I appreciate his attitude towards Nebraska and his desire to bring us back. I know it isn't going to happen, but it's nice to see him pine for us.

Reactions: chucks
Nebraska is like man who went through a epic mid-life crisis. Got a divorce to chase the hot piece of ass but after a while, they realized they made a mistake and can't go back.

The majority of people wish NU could go home but they can't. Instead stuck in the B1G West and will forever and day be forced to remember the good ol' days before they went off the reservation.

The majority of people wish NU could go home but they can't.
2928543-524906464-Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Nebraska is like man who went through a epic mid-life crisis. Got a divorce to chase the hot piece of ass but after a while, they realized they made a mistake and can't go back.

The majority of people wish NU could go home but they can't. Instead stuck in the B1G West and will forever and day be forced to remember the good ol' days before they went off the reservation.

Ha ha ha ha, um. NO.

No thanks.

Bill won't even be around if they ever decided to bone headedly go back anyway.

No way man. We're so much better off in the B1G it's not even funny. No desire to go back to the Big XII. I look upon those days with a lot of great memories, but that conference made it's choice and lost 4 great institutions. Now OU is finally starting to see the light it seems.

Made a mistake? No. We are home now. It's funny to me how people throw around this idea that a majority of fans wish we could go back, yet nobody produces any kind of a poll to prove it. Every poll I've seen on every site says that a clear majority of fans are satisfied with where we are.

The Big 12 is like man who went through a epic mid-life crisis. Got a divorce to chase the hot piece of ass (Texas) but after a while, they realized they made a mistake and can't go back.

The majority of people wish The Big 12 could go home but they can't. Instead they're stuck with Texas and will forever and day be forced to remember the good ol' days before they went off the reservation.

FIXED!

I do agree about the B1G West. Hopefully this division is trending up. I loved the idea of playing Mich, MSU and PSU every year when we joined. Overall, I love the B1G.

I know a lot of people feel this way, but if I had to guess, I'd say well under 50%.

I would love to see us go back to the Big 12

I know it won't happen, but leaving seems to have stripped ourselves of our identity. The B1G is mostly a bunch of eastern schools. I don't think we belong. I'd go back in a heartbeat if we could.

Reactions: Raging_Bull
I would love to see us go back to the Big 12

I know it won't happen, but leaving seems to have stripped ourselves of our identity. The B1G is mostly a bunch of eastern schools. I don't think we belong. I'd go back in a heartbeat if we could.
Our 2 biggest rivals are gone from the Big 12. What would we be going back to?

The topic that just won't go away. I miss NU having good and really great football teams, which has nothing to do with the Big12.

Reactions: huskerbux
Thanks but no thanks. All those years and all those votes when all of our old Big 8 brethren cozied up and sided with Texass on many decisions that favored Texass and basically gave them all the power in the Big 12. You guys jumped into bed with the whore Texass and now you're paying the price. Deal with it. NU is doing just fine with no UT drama, Big 10 stability and all the Big 10 $$$$. We good!!Cool Now go back to shining Texass's boots!

Last edited:
Bill shouldn't have continually sided with Texas and against us. We and others would still be there if they had seen the light waaaaayyyyyyy earlier. I think the old fart may be in the top ten of all time coaches in college football, but he needs to understand that past decisions still have consequences.

Reactions: huskerj12
Our 2 biggest rivals are gone from the Big 12. What would we be going back to?
I wouldn't miss Colorado at all. Missouri I would miss some, but I would be happy to play TCU and WV.

To me we are midwest and south geographically, it's where we should be type of thing. It feels alienated to me to be in the B1G. Nothing in common with those people. Lots of friends in the south, can't discuss what is going on in the conference, it just feels weird.

Here's the thing - Yes I would rather have stayed back in 2010 IF a huge and real conversation took place that somehow made us as valued as we should have been within the conference, Texas lost its preferential treatment, there was a Big 12 Network instead of a Longhorn Network, and none of the other teams left. But going back to a shell of that conference now would be a bad idea, much worse than staying put.

IMHO we are a far better cultural fit in the B1G. After everything that happened to Nebraska in the Big 12, I can't imagine anyone making a decision to return. As others have posted in this thread (and countless others), I feel no sympathy at all for the plight of our former conference brethren. We left that conference to avoid exactly what they are dealing with. Put simply, we got a golden ticket when we were invited to the B1G and we'll never leave. I despised the B1G for most of my life but now, I can't imagine a place I'd rather see Nebraska be. The B1G is a conference, the Big 12 is 9 moons in orbit around Jupiter.

Here's the thing - Yes I would rather have stayed back in 2010 IF a huge and real conversation took place that somehow made us as valued as we should have been within the conference, Texas lost its preferential treatment, there was a Big 12 Network instead of a Longhorn Network, and none of the other teams left. But going back to a shell of that conference now would be a bad idea, much worse than staying put.
This is on the money. /End discussion.

Reactions: oldj
I like the Big Ten in terms of stability and money. But in terms of the product on the field, I can't say I'm excited about playing Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern, Minnesota, and Iowa every year.

I know the Big 12 North wasn't great, but at least Ames, Lawrence, and Manhattan were all a short drive away. Now we're in a terrible division with only one school that's within 5 hours from Lincoln.

Fantastic post. Shell of the league is a great way to put it. They have no one left to grab. Is there serious excitement from them with Houston coming into the league?

Has anyone spoken with any K-State or ISU fans about how they feel with OU possibly leaving? I'd love to hear their take.

IMHO we are a far better cultural fit in the B1G. After everything that happened to Nebraska in the Big 12, I can't imagine anyone making a decision to return. As others have posted in this thread (and countless others), I feel no sympathy at all for the plight of our former conference brethren. We left that conference to avoid exactly what they are dealing with. Put simply, we got a golden ticket when we were invited to the B1G and we'll never leave. I despised the B1G for most of my life but now, I can't imagine a place I'd rather see Nebraska be. The B1G is a conference, the Big 12 is 9 moons in orbit around Jupiter.
Well said. I will freely admit that I used to hate the B1G and made fun of it. The idea of us joining the conference was batted around occasionally and at that time the idea of us ever joining seemed laughable. But I never was all that enamored with the Big 12, and when it came time to look for a more stable alternative, the B1G made the most sense. I have never looked back and think we are in the right place now anyway. Contrary to NikkiSixx above, I think we fit in better geographically with the B1G than the Big 12. The Big 12 is too Texas dominated(not just the University, but the whole state). We do not fit in culturally with Texas schools. The B1G is a cold weather conference, and in that respect we fit in better. It's nice to actually be one of the warmer places in the conference rather than one of the coldest. It was often said in Big 12 baseball, that Nebraska was the only place where the coach had to own a snow shovel(after Iowa State dropped their program). That's definitely not the case in the B1G.

If I could contrive a conference geographically, I would take the western schools in the B1G and the northern schools in the Big 12. That would be ideal in terms of cultural and geographical fit. That will never happen however, and I dislike the southern extension of the Big 12 more than I do the eastern extension of the B1G.

Bill you voted in lock step with Texas for 14 years. You preferred to be Texas' little B_tch. How did that workout? Used and abused rode hard and put out wet. Why crawl back to NU now?

I also feel like Nebraska is a much better cultural fit in the B1G. Yes, Nebraska and New Jersey are very different places. But the cultural of our state is likely more similar to Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Indiana than it is to Texas, Oklahoma, or (formerly) Colorado and arguably Missouri.

My wife is a Texan and we spend a lot of time down there. On those visits, I often get called a Yankee by perfect strangers. Whether we want to admit it or not, some wounds substantially predate the Big XII.

Here's the thing - Yes I would rather have stayed back in 2010 IF a huge and real conversation took place that somehow made us as valued as we should have been within the conference, Texas lost its preferential treatment, there was a Big 12 Network instead of a Longhorn Network, and none of the other teams left. But going back to a shell of that conference now would be a bad idea, much worse than staying put.[/QUOTE

+1

I also feel like Nebraska is a much better cultural fit in the B1G. Yes, Nebraska and New Jersey are very different places. But the cultural of our state is likely more similar to Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Indiana than it is to Texas, Oklahoma, or (formerly) Colorado and arguably Missouri.

My wife is a Texan and we spend a lot of time down there. On those visits, I often get called a Yankee by perfect strangers. Whether we want to admit it or not, some wounds substantially predate the Big XII.

Look, I sympathize with you. You can see my post above saying much of the same thing. However, I've never been treated bad in Texas because I was from the Midwest. If they are calling you Yankee it's because you are different. It's not a cut unless you allow it to be a cut. If you have red hair you may be called "Red". If your last name is Smith you may get called "Smitty". In Texas, anyone north of Texas is a "Yankee". You may be the douchebag Yankee or you could be a really cool Yankee. I never saw myself as a Yankee, but it's how Texans view you. That's up to the individual. In high school they called me "Nebraska" because I always wore Husker t-shirts and gear. When they got to know me more they'd call me by name. I never let it bother me.

I like the Big Ten in terms of stability and money. But in terms of the product on the field, I can't say I'm excited about playing Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern, Minnesota, and Iowa every year.

I know the Big 12 North wasn't great, but at least Ames, Lawrence, and Manhattan were all a short drive away. Now we're in a terrible division with only one school that's within 5 hours from Lincoln.
Exactly how I feel. I miss the close proximity of the old conference teams. Even going to Stillwater or Norman wasn't bad. And with such a longstanding relationship with the old schools, I miss the rivalry with the old Big 8. The Big 10 schools still bore me, and always will. The distance to the Big 10 schools certainly defers me to attending any away game. I was in Wisconsin in June for vacation, and maybe it's me getting old, but that was a long drive for me. And that's probably one of the closer places to Nebraska.

However, you can't forget how the old Big 8 teams stuck it to Nebraska in eliminating the partial qualifiers, which I think was a good thing to have. It benefited Nebraska and the student athlete. They all seemed to have it in for Nebraska upon going to the Big XII. It's hard to forget about that and how those old conference teams treated Nebraska. So my outlook is: things change, just about all the conferences today aren't the same as they used to be. And though I may be bored with the Big 10, it's where we are, the money is good and it's time to finally move on. We didn't create our move to the Big 10, the Big XII teams did, IMO.

I lived in Texas for 25 years. You could pick up a newspaper, they wouldn't talk about the big 12 north. They can be very egocentric.

It was perfect timing to leave the big12.

Fantastic post. Shell of the league is a great way to put it. They have no one left to grab. Is there serious excitement from them with Houston coming into the league?

Has anyone spoken with any K-State or ISU fans about how they feel with OU possibly leaving? I'd love to hear their take.

Iowa State fans are scared to death. They know they'll end up in the Missouri Valley or MAC if that happens.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
What about the current Big XII is that enticing?

KSU - Nearby but Manhattan is a hole and the program will be irrelevant again once Snyder retires again. Remember that we had a long winning streak against them until 1998.

KU - Outside of those two wins in the 2000s by those Mangino teams, they'd destroy us in basketball and we'd destroy them in football. Whoopee.

ISU - LOL no. I prefer Iowa that has the potential to be consistently decent. At least Iowa has co-league champions and BCS appearances.

WVU - Exciting offense, but just as much of a cultural mismatch as the other Big Ten schools

OU - They still prefer Texas over us. That annual game against them might not come back.

OSU - decent with T Boone money, but replaceable. It's not like we had that much tradition and rivalry outside of being in the same conference for decades.

Tech - Meh

UT - My main regret is our program never evening up the series against them. Regardless, we'd be going back to a conference with that team screwing us over and revolving the conference around Texas as opposed to regionally like the other conferences.

Baylor & TCU - Baylor was a dumpster fire before Briles got there. TCU wasn't much until Patterson got there. They are good now, but not worth leaving the Big XII. The first College Football Playoff committee told the nation how they felt about these two teams last winter.

The above doesn't even consider the higher conference payout and TV exposure we get by being in the Big Ten. Traditions and relationships take time to develop.

Reactions: St. Anger

You will be roasted for posting this but most of this board made fun of the B1G before we joined.

No.
Nebraska is like a man who divorced a no good, cheating bitch and married his much prettier (and richer) neighbor.

Reactions: timnsun
You will be roasted for posting this but most of this board made fun of the B1G before we joined.

Yes, we called them a second tier conference, but we're a second tier team, so it works out. Only in the last couple of years has the league started to shed it's second tier status.

ADVERTISEMENT