ADVERTISEMENT

Let's be realistic 7-5 would be a really good season

Sooo you think we’re gonna go from 4-8 to 8 wins in the first year? Honestly anyone who thinks that our ceiling isn’t 7-5 is out of their minds. If you know football and you know our conference, 7 wins is our ceiling unless something crazy happens. That’s one thing that really bothers me is that we have really big expectations and then call for changes if we don’t get it right away. I won’t be surprised when at least a few people call for frost to be fired after this year when we go 6-6 or 7-5. The amount of wins don’t matter this year. What matters is the culture of the team and how we play. We do t want to have 1 or 2 great seasons we want to get back to where we were. That takes time. Quit it with the unrealistic expectations.
have any stock tips for me? I really thought 6-7 wins was the floor and 8 was possible....:(

No disrespect, but I would view 1-11 as a good thing right now. I will be routing for you against BCC. Nothing worse than a winless season. Nobody remembers 1-11, but 0-12? It's like a curse that never goes away.

Reactions: UCFBS
No disrespect, but I would view 1-11 as a good thing right now. I will be routing for you against BCC. Nothing worse than a winless season. Nobody remembers 1-11, but 0-12? It's like a curse that never goes away.
Nebraska fans would remember 1-11. It's a good thing that isn't going to happen here. Well not unless Martinez gets hurt again.

Nebraska fans would remember 1-11. It's a good thing that isn't going to happen here. Well not unless Martinez gets hurt again.

That was kind of the same attitude we had when we paid Furman a ton of loot to come into our house and take a beating. We ended up losing that too.

If you can get one against BCC, and avoid 0-12, nobody will remember it down the road. 0-12 you never hear the end of it. Don't look past BCC if you come into that game winless. They are putting up some numbers this year, and aren't far behind NIU.

have any stock tips for me? I really thought 6-7 wins was the floor and 8 was possible....:(
Same. I think we were all thinking get rid of Riley and 75% of the problems go away. All things considered we had the talent for 6 or 7 wins, even with new coaches. What we all failed to realize was how bad this team was mentally. That can't be fix over 9 months. Even if Saban was the coach. This isn't a talent issue, this isn't a coaching issue. This is one big, monster of a mental issue. Nobody could have predicted that.

Agree. A loss to BCC and an 0-12 would be catastrophic. As bad as we are the odds of that are very small. I see 2 or 3 wins this year. At this point. Going 3-4 the rest of the way would be great.

O'Leary had to chase off more than a handful of kids from the team in our 0-12 season before the ship got right, and he was a very experienced coach and disciplinarian.

Chasing kids off instead of 'reforming' them doesn't jive well with ol' Frosty's players coach speak, kumbaya, do it for your brothers messaging. Let's see which way the wind blows.

O'Leary had to chase off more than a handful of kids from the team in our 0-12 season before the ship got right, and he was a very experienced coach and disciplinarian.

Chasing kids off instead of 'reforming' them doesn't jive well with ol' Frosty's players coach speak, kumbaya, do it for your brothers messaging. Let's see which way the wind blows.
Kind of have to disagree. The players getting "run off" are those that won't correct repeated mental errors in games and/or are unwilling to practice the way the coaches want. Pretty easy to say if you aren't willing to work for your brothers on the team and accept the help the coaches are giving you then we will roll with someone who will.

The level of talent and coaching were both overestimated leading into the season. There is opportunity for improvement in both realms.

All knew the schedule was brutal this year even before Frost came back. I thought a maximum 6 wins and bowl game was the absolute best case scenario this year. btw.....my son and I drove from Birmingham, AL to Lincoln for the Akron game.....at least we got to see the tunnel walk!

We can see very clearly that they're telling players who aren't all in not to let the door hit them on the way out. What we need to see now is who they can get to fill the spots.

Reactions: jlb321
At this point, I'm not even looking at records anymore. Rather, I'm looking for any signs of improvement. Some thoughts:(nothing you all haven't seen)

I've seen flashes of improved offensive play. Just need to be more consistent across an entire quarter and then through a half, and then through 4 quarters. I'm excited to see how the offense does against Wisconsin.

Special teams is a liability at this point. Haven't seen any signs of life here yet. I wonder about our special teams coach, but his unit at UCF was very good! Athletes, perhaps?
...- Rugby punt? Are we asking our punter to do something he's not very good at?
...- Are we having him rugby punt because our punt coverage is suspect or we don't have the athletes to cover one?
...- FG kicker???

Defense still gives up too much. We need this unit to get "A LOT" better. Coaching/scheme? This is a unit I thought might struggle simply from watching UCF. UCF's offense carried them. However, I was actually impressed how UCF's defense did against Auburn.

Obviously, penalties across all 3 phases need to be cleaned up.

If our talent level needs upgraded, then our coaches are really going to have to get after it on the recruiting trail. Nebraska doesn't have an abundance of riches like UCF had to pick from.

Kind of have to disagree. The players getting "run off" are those that won't correct repeated mental errors in games and/or are unwilling to practice the way the coaches want. Pretty easy to say if you aren't willing to work for your brothers on the team and accept the help the coaches are giving you then we will roll with someone who will.
You guys seriously need to give Frost three (3) years at a minimum, and stop putting him under so much pressure. It's coming out on TV, and it's ugly. I mean really ugly. It looks like Frost is getting it from everywhere. I really hope you win against BCC, because I don't know what you'll do to him if not.

Because I actually have to agree with @Boston.Knight -- I see too many similarities between Frost '18 and GOL '15. You had to know GOL to know what we're talking about.

I never blamed GOL for '04**, but I totally blame GOL for '15, and I defend GOL against UCF fans today (aka being a "GOL Nuthugger"). And there was a lot more proven talent on UCF '15, as the prior years showed (several AP top 10 wins, plus more games decided by 1 score or less), but GOL ran his game and his dictatorship. E.g., forcing kids to run things that "don't work" -- in games -- until "it worked," like it was practice.

There is a way to de-motivate your team, and I think Frost '18 has crossed it. But it's coming from outside Frost. Frost has never really been in this position before, but we -- at UCF -- have seen it first-hand.

E.g., "That was a chip shot, he should have made it."

I don't think Nebraska is remotely UCF '04, but you're also rebuilding a program right now, so I'm not sure it was better than UCF '15. And Frost '18 really should be careful of adding to it right now.

Too many GOL-like statements that demoralized the UCF '15 team.

**UCF '02-04 had discipline and academic problems. The graduation rate was poor (although not USF-level, that's a whole other classification), UCF took chances, had a lot of "cockroaches," and even after cutting kids for academic fraud in '03, GOL came in and cut another 20. It was so bad, with not even enough walk-ons, that UCF had some players going full iron man -- both ways (offense and defense) -- e.g., Brandon Marshall was playing Defensive Back!

Last edited:
Reactions: Boston.Knight
I hope Nebraska wins games because I still like Coach Frost. I like a lot Nebraska fans. Up until last year, I rooted for Nebraska. I really liked the history and tradition and everything. I just kind of enjoy watching the struggle though because of the blatant trolls that infested our board last year and the passive arrogance of SOME of the general fan base.

I hope they lose every game this year and then start to win next year. That way I can satisfy my immature need for revenge against trolls and then get back to rooting for a good coach I admire and rooting for a team I still like.

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
You guys seriously need to give Frost three (3) years at a minimum, and stop putting him under so much pressure. It's coming out on TV, and it's ugly. I mean really ugly. It looks like Frost is getting it from everywhere. I really hope you win against BCC, because I don't know what you'll do to him if not.

Because I actually have to agree with @Boston.Knight -- I see too many similarities between Frost '18 and GOL '15. You had to know GOL to know what we're talking about.

I never blamed GOL for '04**, but I totally blame GOL for '15, and I defend GOL against UCF fans today (aka being a "GOL Nuthugger"). And there was a lot more proven talent on UCF '15, as the prior years showed (several AP top 10 wins, plus more games decided by 1 score or less), but GOL ran his game and his dictatorship. E.g., forcing kids to run things that "don't work" -- in games -- until "it worked," like it was practice.

There is a way to de-motivate your team, and I think Frost '18 has crossed it. But it's coming from outside Frost. Frost has never really been in this position before, but we -- at UCF -- have seen it first-hand.

E.g., "That was a chip shot, he should have made it."

I don't think Nebraska is remotely UCF '04, but you're also rebuilding a program right now, so I'm not sure it was better than UCF '15. And Frost '18 really should be careful of adding to it right now.

Too many GOL-like statements that demoralized the UCF '15 team.

**UCF '02-04 had discipline and academic problems. The graduation rate was poor (although not USF-level, that's a whole other classification), UCF took chances, had a lot of "cockroaches," and even after cutting kids for academic fraud in '03, GOL came in and cut another 20. It was so bad, with not even enough walk-ons, that UCF had some players going full iron man -- both ways (offense and defense) -- e.g., Brandon Marshall was playing Defensive Back!
To be clear I was disagreeing with the notion that "running off" kids instead of reforming them doesn't jive with Frost's "do it for your brothers message". As I said, the two can actually go hand in hand. Frost can't make everyone practice at a winning level nor can he keep them from making the same mistakes. All he can do is coach them the right way to do things. If the player doesn't want to or is unable to do it the right way then there is no possibility of reform. At that point it's best for both sides to part ways.

As for giving Frost time, he signed a seven year deal. He is going to get all the time he needs and the majority of the fans I interact with back that notion.

Despite what the majority of posters were saying in this thread, it isn't surprising that NU is struggling in Frost's first year. This was a four win team last year, starting a true freshman QB on an offense running a hybrid-spread with players recruited to a pro style, and new D coordinator for the third year in a row on a defense that switched from the 4-3 to a 3-4 two years ago, on a program undergoing an entire culture change, that is playing a schedule which is one of the most difficult in the country. I said it before the year started and I'll say it again, 4-5 wins was the potential for this team. Vegas got it right. Injuries, cancelled games, and undisciplined play are the reasons this team did not live up to it's potential.

To be clear I was disagreeing with the notion that "running off" kids instead of reforming them doesn't jive with Frost's "do it for your brothers message". As I said, the two can actually go hand in hand. Frost can't make everyone practice at a winning level nor can he keep them from making the same mistakes. All he can do is coach them the right way to do things. If the player doesn't want to or is unable to do it the right way then there is no possibility of reform. At that point it's best for both sides to part ways.

As for giving Frost time, he signed a seven year deal. He is going to get all the time he needs and the majority of the fans I interact with back that notion.

Despite what the majority of posters were saying in this thread, it isn't surprising that NU is struggling in Frost's first year. This was a four win team last year, starting a true freshman QB on an offense running a hybrid-spread with players recruited to a pro style, and new D coordinator for the third year in a row on a defense that switched from the 4-3 to a 3-4 two years ago, on a program undergoing an entire culture change, that is playing a schedule which is one of the most difficult in the country. I said it before the year started and I'll say it again, 4-5 wins was the potential for this team. Vegas got it right. Injuries, cancelled games, and undisciplined play are the reasons this team did not live up to it's potential.
The only "running off" Frost has done is releasing a depth chart and making his expectations for effort known.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT