ADVERTISEMENT

Let's be realistic 7-5 would be a really good season

I am truly sorry that you thought I was picking on you. I was not

Go back and read the stuff on this board and other NU boards and tell me that a lot of people don't get devastated. I am sorry if you felt I was picking on you, but re-read the very first line in my post. It says "people" are hedging their emotional bets. Your previous posts were somewhat criticizing other people's comments and that is what I was addressing and giving an explanation about.

I did't say you got devastated, I was explaining what I had observed in others. I, though, actually was at a watch site and saw a couple of guys literally throwing napkins they were so distraught.

Second of all, that was SF's quote, not mine. If you want to argue, send him a letter about his comments. He, after all, is the one who said it. I said nothing about 7 and 5, or anything else about record except last year' s 4 and 8.

By the way, I knew a sales distributor in Nebraska several years ago that told me the gross state product goes down after NU losses. Gross consumer sales are significantly down the weeks after losses, and one can presume it is because people's emotional investments are not met and they, according to this sales guy, are depressed at the losses.

I have heard these types of things from other people in Nebraska businesses since then.

I didn't say these things, they did
I didn't think you were picking on me. I was telling you why I predict the way I do, and why I don't join the group of people who artificially lower their expectations to avoid being hurt by the result.
I have no problem with Frost's comments. My problem was I thought you were misusing them to indicate he was talking about a 7-5 season. I hardly think when he said that we will be dangerous in year 2, and not year 1 he meant, "don't expect us to win 7 games in year 1".

Agreed that those 3 games are most important games , but the Iowa game is the most difficult and most important of the three that we need to win...
Yeah Iowa needs to be a win. They need to remember who the little brother is in this relationship. They have gotten cocky the last few years and actually think they deserve respect from uso_O

Reactions: scarletred
Yeah Iowa needs to be a win. They need to remember who the little brother is in this relationship. They have gotten cocky the last few years and actually think they deserve respect from uso_O

Man you gotta give respect to an opponent who has not just beaten you the last 3 year's, but has made it look easy at times

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Hmm...not sure people are artificially lowering expectations as much as some are raising theirs. This is a team that went 4-8. It could have arguably been 6-6 but just as easily been 2-10. It had arguably the worse defense in college football. It had a horrid running game. It is a team that got routed over and over again against anyone with a pulse only to put up pity points against 3rd string scrubs or teams just coasting in the 2nd half.

This year we are sporting a 100% staff turnover and will be starting a QB without even a single full college game under his belt. We've brought in loads of new players, but they haven't played together in a game yet.

We are taking that info and some are being conservative in our guess and others are looking at those things as positives and being optimistic in their guess. But I'll bet every one of us are going to be cheering, hoping, and wishing for an undefeated season. I know I will be.

Man you gotta give respect to an opponent who has not just beaten you the last 3 year's, but has made it look easy at times
http://www.winsipedia.com/nebraska/vs/iowa No respect, outside of the last 3 years we own them historically. Even since joining the BIG10 and our worst decade in 60+ years they still only managed 4-3 on us. 3 of those wins came as a result of Smilin Mike.

Last edited:
I didn't think you were picking on me. I was telling you why I predict the way I do, and why I don't join the group of people who artificially lower their expectations to avoid being hurt by the result.
I have no problem with Frost's comments. My problem was I thought you were misusing them to indicate he was talking about a 7-5 season. I hardly think when he said that we will be dangerous in year 2, and not year 1 he meant, "don't expect us to win 7 games in year 1".

You are correct. He didn't say anything about any record numbers, nor did I. I was just making an attempt to explain a possible reason people have been stating things that appeared to get under other's skin. I wasn't intending to misuse anything pertaining to SF's thoughts or to explain any future record that I have no idea about. If I was that good, I'd be setting point spreads and over-unders in Nevada.

I don't know what SF "hardly" thinks other than by what he says, nor does anyone else not in his immediate circle. When he was hired, he made a point to say NU will not win every game (how many he thinks he wins, he didn't say) and more recently made the comment of being dangerous in year 2.

That is all that I have heard him say and I will not speculate on anything he didn't say.. He may have said other things on the subject, but I don't know that.

I was only speculating on why people may be guarded in their predictions. It was not meant as an affront to anybody.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I think we are all too beat down from the Eichorst-Riley loser mentality that permiated the program. We have coaches now that have common sense, since of urgency, and an offensive concept the will set us apart. I think we get our swagger back stop blowing games with breathtaking stupidity and if we do lose not get blown out. I would not be surprised to make it to CG even with our schedule.

Pearlman-Eichorst-Riley era is over. Memorial Stafium in the Green-Moos-Frost era should be a difficult place to come into. The electricity will be off the charts for big games. The fans are hungry and their pride is still there.

Last edited:
Reactions: bshirt73
First of all, I'd hardly call a team that goes 7-5 dangerous. Second of all, I don't need to hedge my emotional investments. If I predict good and it doesn't happen, I don't get devastated emotionally. I predict what I think can be accomplished and if they fall short, sure it's disappointing but it doesn't devastate me or destroy my enthusiasm for the team. I just move on and hope and expect better next year. I don't need to artificially hold my expectations down just to lessen the chance of being hurt by the result.

Can I get an AMEN?

So, predicting that a team coming off a 4-8 record with the one of the worst defense\oline in the nation, with an all new staff, a new qb, and playing one of the toughest schedules in all of cfb might win 6-7 games is artificially lowering expectations to not be hurt by the result?
You have to take a few leaps to read peoples minds in the way you do. I find it humorous you shame people who are basing their prediction on all that factual evidence while claiming you can read their mind as the basis for your arguments, and expect people to take you seriously?
I think we will win 7-8, btw, which would be an amazing turn around.
For some reason, theres a group of fans who refuse to see, or admit, just how bad it got under riley. Wonder what this group has in common?

Last edited:
If we go 7-5 say goodbye to the sellout streak. The businesses who normally bail us out to keep the streak alive will stop answering the phone.

We need to go 12-0, we’re a blue blood program.

If we go 7-5 say goodbye to the sellout streak. The businesses who normally bail us out to keep the streak alive will stop answering the phone.

D78FCA49-94EE-4FC8-ABF5-EADB3BBCF16C_zpsnebdb3ao.gif

24D5C712-EA36-4A7C-A6EE-1B5989CB1186_zpsnttbqoiq.gif

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. I think talent wise this team is better than 4-8 and I think they gave up on the coaching staff last year. I think attitude adjustment alone is worth 2 wins, better S&C worth another. We have a brutal schedule, a new scheme and a Freshman QB. Despite all of those things I still think we go 8-4. Losses to Michigan, Wisconsin, OSU, and either MSU or Iowa (I think MSU, we beat Iowa).

Overall I’m just looking for this team to fight and compete in every game. If there is game by game improvement then I will consider it a successful season, but I think 8-4 is very realistic.

Personally I don't really care about the final season record. If we see a coaching staff on the sidelines that looks like they have a clue and a team that plays to win start to finish that will be a huge upgrade from last season and the wins will follow, if not this year then next season and the seasons after that.

So you're saying, "Just play hard, baby"?

;)

Reactions: LBremser
Since when the hell is 7-5 a really good season? Pelini got fired for only winning 9 or 10 games a year. If we go less than 8 wins, I'll honestly be a little disappointed.
Sooo you think we’re gonna go from 4-8 to 8 wins in the first year? Honestly anyone who thinks that our ceiling isn’t 7-5 is out of their minds. If you know football and you know our conference, 7 wins is our ceiling unless something crazy happens. That’s one thing that really bothers me is that we have really big expectations and then call for changes if we don’t get it right away. I won’t be surprised when at least a few people call for frost to be fired after this year when we go 6-6 or 7-5. The amount of wins don’t matter this year. What matters is the culture of the team and how we play. We do t want to have 1 or 2 great seasons we want to get back to where we were. That takes time. Quit it with the unrealistic expectations.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Sooo you think we’re gonna go from 4-8 to 8 wins in the first year? Honestly anyone who thinks that our ceiling isn’t 7-5 is out of their minds. If you know football and you know our conference, 7 wins is our ceiling unless something crazy happens. That’s one thing that really bothers me is that we have really big expectations and then call for changes if we don’t get it right away. I won’t be surprised when at least a few people call for frost to be fired after this year when we go 6-6 or 7-5. The amount of wins don’t matter this year. What matters is the culture of the team and how we play. We do t want to have 1 or 2 great seasons we want to get back to where we were. That takes time. Quit it with the unrealistic expectations.

I honestly think they can reach 8 wins in the regular season this year.

A young man pumping iron and eating a lot with all the overage of testosterone flowing through his body can get strong fast. They also heal faster.

I wish they could get into some pressurized oxygen chambers to heal that much faster.

I agree with another poster that this team easily lost two games because of the seemingly auto quit feature. So if they gain those two just not quitting that's 6 wins. We get Colorado at home and I bet that Scott, Held, and everyone else that was a former Cornhusker there is going to motivate those guys to win that particular game. Sure it's just another game...I'm not buying that. This game will mean something deep down to those doing the motivating.

Akron, Troy, Illinois, Minnesota I can see these being easier based on past history. Troy being the hardest imho. That's 4.

Colorado, Purdue, NW- these teams have some spice in my estimation but I think these are EXTREMELY winnable. Thats 7.

Io_a and MSU- I think its fair to say these would be tougher to get, but not exactly outside of hair on fire play to secure a win. That's a possible 8 wins.

UM, Wisco, OSU- Toughest contests- these are near unwinnable without that hair on fire play and a string of some bounces our way.
Not even going to speculate a win here.

Just my opinion. But not expecting really anything. I'm excited for the uncertainty of results and the excitement of watching a staff whom I know actually sincerely cares in their heart not only about the players but the program.

Anything less than10-2 regular season is never acceptable. Will they go 10-2? No, but you don’t lower the bar to fell good about mediocrity. Bottom line this century Nebraska has only had 2 acceptable seasons.

Anything less than10-2 regular season is never acceptable. Will they go 10-2? No, but you don’t lower the bar to fell good about mediocrity. Bottom line this century Nebraska has only had 2 acceptable seasons.

You do realize Nebraska has won 9 games in a season 22 times since 1962 regardless of 10 game schedules or 12 games schedules...

9 wins has usually been the standard since 1962 only 8 times since 1962 that Nebraska hasn’t won 9+ games...

Reactions: SOHusker11
I think we are all too beat down from the Eichorst-Riley loser mentality that permiated the program. We have coaches now that have common sense, since of urgency, and an offensive concept the will set us apart. I think we get our swagger back stop blowing games with breathtaking stupidity and if we do lose not get blown out. I would not be surprised to make it to CG even with our schedule.

Pearlman-Eichorst-Riley era is over. Memorial Stafium in the Green-Moos-Frost era should be a difficult place to come into. The electricity will be off the charts for big games. The fans are hungry and their pride is still there.
Pearlman-Eichorst-Riley era is over. There is a God. Riley delivered what he'd always delivered---.500 numbers. Just a nice, old guy.

Reactions: bshirt73
Who didn't make it look easy though? If they can beat a Husker team with a pulse I might begin to give them credit

I think coach Frost is going to be great here and I am excited as I think this team is going to be better that we thought. However every time I get excited about the possibilities of this season I look at the schedule it is absolutely brutal

I expect to be a competitive team especially against our west foes. If we had Iowa's schedule then we could really make some noise but we do not.

I will be happy with getting better through the year and being competitive on the field

True. A 7-5 final record should be looked at as an unmitigated success.

We should all be happy with a 6-6 final record.

In the end, a 5-7 record is probably more realistic.

Sorry but I agree that 7-5 may be the season record but that is not to be considered a success. It is progress but success this season is nothing less than 8-4 and really true success would be 9-3 or better.

I know not many people recall the 1969 season but the final record that season was far from expected. I suspect that Frost and company are wanting that type of turnaround for this team. Anything less to this staff will be considered not a total success!

I have no idea what this team's ceiling or floor is simply because of all the new players on the team but also the dramatic shift in offensive philosophies. I am hoping to see a team that improves every game, that plays hard and doesn't quit. I want to see a team that looks like they know what they're doing and let the results play out.

In a perfect world, I'd love to see this team overachieve and keep the positive momentum flowing both on the field and on the recruiting trail.

Not sure if you were serious with this or not. The sell out streak will end at some point, a 7-5 season this year will not do it. As long as this team look competent, unlike last year, sellout streak is safe for at least another year.
On a side note, I have heard they are planning on widening the seating. So that would reduce the amount of seats to "sell out". It would help keep the sellout streak even longer.

Last edited:
I think a 7-5 or 8-4 season is the most realistic and would be a pretty darn good season. I think, however, that if you were to ask Frost... he would NOT be satisfied with 7-5... and that gives me lots of extra confidence.

Reactions: GoBluePureMichigan
I think coach Frost is going to be great here and I am excited as I think this team is going to be better that we thought. However every time I get excited about the possibilities of this season I look at the schedule it is absolutely brutal

I expect to be a competitive team especially against our west foes. If we had Iowa's schedule then we could really make some noise but we do not.

I will be happy with getting better through the year and being competitive on the field

7-6??

tenor.gif

Would be a great first year.

Sorry but I agree that 7-5 may be the season record but that is not to be considered a success. It is progress but success this season is nothing less than 8-4 and really true success would be 9-3 or better.

I know not many people recall the 1969 season but the final record that season was far from expected. I suspect that Frost and company are wanting that type of turnaround for this team. Anything less to this staff will be considered not a total success!
The definition of success is- the accomplishment of an aim or purpose. The debate of success or not is not winnable. Success depends on what ones aim or purpose would be. Everyone views it differently. My opinion of success is showing progress from last year, getting to 6-6 and making a bowl. Considering how bad this team was, tough schedule, new coaches, new schemes. Almost anything gained over last year is a success. Not a huge success but a success non the less. I also think success isn't a constant. It can change from year to year based on other situation and events.
Others view success as a BIG10 title, or National title. That is fine as well

Reactions: GoBluePureMichigan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT