ADVERTISEMENT

LES Planned Outages

Fracking is what really killed the coal industry more than anything else.
Huh? You're out of your mind. The political pressure to get rid of coal and the cost of mandates to update coal fired power plants is what killed coal. Fracking had nothing to do with it. Natural gas fired power plants for whatever reason are more politically acceptable I suppose in part because it contains the word "natural" :rolleyes:. We have a huge reserve of coal easily available in the U.S. and it will probably never be mined or used going forward. Time will tell if that was the right decision.

Reactions: tpmcg
South Dakota should also have plenty of diesel fired turbines lying around ready to go just in case. They would have to scrutinize their power board members if they didn't.
Diesel? Because South Dakota produces so much diesel fuel? There's a hundred years of coal a few hundred miles west of Omaha and Sioux City. It wouldn't take billions of dollars of federal tax credits to get power companies to build new coal fired power plants. Literally a hundred miles from Scottsbluff and Rapid City there's a HUGE reserve of both natural gas and coal.

Last edited:
I wish I knew how to post a standing ovation GIF
I understand the sentiment, but he's wrong. I'm pretty sure the residents of his town pay for water and power, so yea, they are owed something. Surely everyone on this board can agree with that point. Separately, as the leader of his community, moments of crisis are when he is most needed. My take is that he's overwhelmed and he's getting frantic people attacking him from all sides, so he lashed out.

Huh? You're out of your mind. The political pressure to get rid of coal and the cost of mandates to update coal fired power plants is what killed coal. Fracking had nothing to do with it. Natural gas fired power plants for whatever reason are more politically acceptable I suppose in part because it contains the word "natural" :rolleyes:. We have a huge reserve of coal easily available in the U.S. and it will probably never be mined or used going forward. Time will tell if that was the right decision.
From what I have studied under economists, who could care less about whether something is green or not, the move to natural gas from coal was absolutely market forces at work. I'm not saying there weren't some politics involved that accelerated the process, however, as a matter of efficiency and cost, which significantly determine how the market will behave, natural gas won out over coal.

Fracking is what caused the price of natural gas to plummet

Diesel? Because South Dakota produces so much diesel fuel? There's a hundred years of coal a few hundred miles west of Omaha and Sioux City. It wouldn't take billions of dollars of federal tax credits to get power companies to build new coal fired power plants. Literally a hundred miles from Scottsbluff and Rapid City there's a HUGE reserve of both natural gas and coal.
Is South Dakota the only state that doesn’t have easy access to diesel? So weird.

I've dun a fair anount of mtn biking in Moab and once asked a local I was riding with what all the little 4" holes were in the ground...I have zero issues with grabbing every drop of oil from anywhere on earth you can get it...and we will do just that before we are dun with this planet...but man fracking leaves some ugly permament holes behind. Made me wonder if small animals ever fall in, as I was picturing Bob Fett falling into the sarlacc....
Bob Fett. Like it. I'm using that in the future Lite.
Also will be in the Moab/Arches/Kanab area this summer with the family. Any must sees in your opinion?

Also will be in the Moab/Arches/Kanab area this summer with the family. Any must sees in your opinion?

Well I've never taken the family, every time I've traveled there has been with friends and a bike. I did finally go into Arches N.P. for the first time ever about 6-7 months ago to see what it was all about, and it was cool but I prolly won't do it again unless I am with a date/girl friend/wife.

If you're riding at all, I suggest this....Notice the lights mounted in the top pic?? I stayed out a while on that one
zUjzGch.jpg
uI8tLqs.jpg

When you're hungry for a good but cheap and filling breakfast go here
2BokiFl.jpg

Before you go into Moab or before you leave, this joint is right off the exit and if you like jerky, go here (fun photo op to if you like Scooby-Doo)
76CxVeH.jpg

This is a magnificent area but if you are going in the summer, drill your family on the importance of getting out early - really, really, really early. The midday heat can be absolutely brutal, so take your breaks then and go back out later for the beautiful sunsets.

I understand the sentiment, but he's wrong. I'm pretty sure the residents of his town pay for water and power, so yea, they are owed something. Surely everyone on this board can agree with that point. Separately, as the leader of his community, moments of crisis are when he is most needed. My take is that he's overwhelmed and he's getting frantic people attacking him from all sides, so he lashed out.
He wanted to voice his opinion as a civilian and thought by doing that instead of as mayor there was a difference. When faced with a crisis, we’ve learned one thing: We normally elect complete friggin morons.

Well I've never taken the family, every time I've traveled there has been with friends and a bike. I did finally go into Arches N.P. for the first time ever about 6-7 months ago to see what it was all about, and it was cool but I prolly won't do it again unless I am with a date/girl friend/wife.

If you're riding at all, I suggest this....Notice the lights mounted in the top pic?? I stayed out a while on that one
zUjzGch.jpg
uI8tLqs.jpg

When you're hungry for a good but cheap and filling breakfast go here
2BokiFl.jpg

Before you go into Moab or before you leave, this joint is right off the exit and if you like jerky, go here (fun photo op to if you like Scooby-Doo)
76CxVeH.jpg
I've ridden Slickrock twice. incredible experience.

Is South Dakota the only state that doesn’t have easy access to diesel? So weird.
It comes via a pipeline and is not as easily stored as say a giant pile of coal OR nuclear fuel. Keep up the ridiculous trolls. They're entertaining.

Do you nuts really think burning diesel would be cleaner than burning coal? Some back up plants do use diesel but geezus.

How many gas plants can burn coal? Backup fuel is part of a resilient fleet. Coal covered in snow and ice presents challenges also. Having multiple options and flexibility is what keeps the grid reliable and costs low.

How many gas plants can burn coal? Backup fuel is part of a resilient fleet. Coal covered in snow and ice presents challenges also. Having multiple options and flexibility is what keeps the grid reliable and costs low.
wind does nothing for reliability. Nothing.

Sure it does, it becomes more and more predictable and is a piece of a diverse fleet.
again. They were shutting off electricity all over our area and the turbines weren't turning because conditions weren't right. NOT dependable at all.

It comes via a pipeline and is not as easily stored as say a giant pile of coal OR nuclear fuel. Keep up the ridiculous trolls. They're entertaining.
Who's trolling? Diesel is readily available everywhere and much easier to store than coal. Power plants don't just store a bunch of coal in a big pile and throw it in the boiler you know. And they don't even like coal. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere
And since you asked, diesel does burn a lot cleaner than coal for the most part. But you wouldn't use coal for peak shaving or emergency demand response so I'm not sure why you are comparing them anyway.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Who's trolling? Diesel is readily available everywhere and much easier to store than coal. Power plants don't just store a bunch of coal in a big pile and throw it in the boiler you know. And they don't even like coal. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere
And since you asked, diesel does burn a lot cleaner than coal for the most part. But you wouldn't use coal for peak shaving or emergency demand response so I'm not sure why you are comparing them anyway.
Did you just Anakin Skywalker coal?

Trying to prop up coal while tearing down renewables is classic culture war garbage. Energy companies would apply massive pressure on government if coal were a superior source of energy. They ain't fighting for it because it ain't the cheapest, and it ain't the best.

Take the Texas governor, for example. The dude goes on Fox and tilts at windmills, pun intended. He's barking into the silo and he knows it. Windmills make up a small fraction of the grid in Texas, and the fact of the matter is everything in the grid failed, not just windmills. But he attacks nonetheless because it plays well with the culture warriors. Everyone caught up in the political bickering seems to lose sight of the fact that energy companies are investing in renewables? They'd be foolish not to invest.

It's interesting how we orient ourselves in these debates, depending on which side of the cultural divide we identify with. Elon Musk is a villain/hero when he's pushing electric cars in California. Now he's a hero/villain because he pulled up stakes and moved to Texas. It's not political, it's business.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Fracking is what caused the price of natural gas to plummet
Somewhere in the world there is an unemployed former coal worker who unironically chanted "DRILL BABY DRILL" at a rally. And he hasn't given a single thought to how drilling for oil is also drilling for natural gas, and gas is a superior fuel to coal. Burning cleaner is a side effect of more efficient combustion.

THE MARKET is killing coal and it has been for hundreds of years. You'll notice we're not having this conversation about whale oil.

The reason we don't heat our homes with a coal fireplace in every room and/or a coal boiler isn't because of the smoke, it's because running a gas furnace is WAY more efficient. Go knock around the alleys in an old part of town, you'll still find coal chutes in existence. It used to be how damn near everything was fired in the 19th and even early 20th centuries.

Natural gas has been in the process replacing coal since before cars existed, yet people act like NONE of that happened except from 2008-2016. It's just egregiously incorrect.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT