ADVERTISEMENT

Leipold is impressive

A few weeks ago somebody on here was telling me they didn't see more than a win or two on their schedule. I admit it did look kind of bleak. But fast forward and here they are 3 and 0 with two of their wins against good opponents on the road. Now I look at their schedule and believe that they can beat Duke, Iowa state, Kansas state, Texas tech, and TCU. The other four opponents are all top 20. That's going to be a tough task, but I think they could steal one of those. I firmly believe they'll be somewhere between 7 and 9 wins. Nine wins is definitely the ceiling at Kansas. But he could get 10 and 11 wins at Nebraska I believe.
Crazy to think that next week either Ku or Duke will be 4-0

We're probably making over 100 million in revenues now per year. And you’re worried about the most important person in the program for around 5 million per year, which is only 5 percent of those revenues? It's the same old trick used to make government programs seem much larger than they are by including the total costs over a decade vs the annual cost.

An example is the F-35 fighter program, which had total program costs included out to the year 2070 which add up to 1.5 trillion. But it's a 70 year program, with per decade costs around 200 billion, and annual costs at 20 billion. The total annual military budget is close to 800 billion, so the F-35 program is using only a fraction of those total resources. Yet some stupid senators wanted to cut the program because all they see is the word trillion. Based on its capabilities, the F-35 program will be the most successful military procurement program of all time, and it isn't close. There's a reason they budget it out to 2070 and that's because it will still be effective for at least that long.

Apologies for the off-topic reply, but I guess the point I'm trying to make is we need to find a coach that will set ourselves up for success in the long term, and we need to be willing to invest the resources to make it happen.
I’m not the least bit worried about the money - just postulating what it might take to get him based on what he is likely to make the remainder of his career if he stays at Kansas with low expectations

I have no problem paying him whatever it takes

Relax on Lance. The teams that he beat are 1-5 combined this year. I am sure that he is a great coach, but this isn't Wisconsin White Water, Buffalo, or Kansas. This is a whole new ball game. The three front runners aren't exactly home-run hires. All good coaches, but this program deserves better.

Relax on Lance. The teams that he beat are 1-5 combined this year. I am sure that he is a great coach, but this isn't Wisconsin White Water, Buffalo, or Kansas. This is a whole new ball game. The three front runners aren't exactly home-run hires. All good coaches, but this program deserves better.
Winning football is about confidence and momentum. So if they win this week and are undefeated, that will do a world of good for their belief in themselves and carry on to a pretty good season. That's good coaching, not good luck.

Nobody knows who the front runners are so….

They just extended him, so they'll look desperate if they try to extend him again in season. I doubt he would take it. Let the season play out and bet on yourself.
employers love to tell employees to bet on themselves

how about Trev bet on himself and the university - offer Meyer 150 million over ten or Aranda (if he thinks he is an A list candidate) 120 over 10?

USC bet on themselves

Last edited:
We're probably making over 100 million in revenues now per year. And you’re worried about the most important person in the program for around 5 million per year, which is only 5 percent of those revenues? It's the same old trick used to make government programs seem much larger than they are by including the total costs over a decade vs the annual cost.

An example is the F-35 fighter program, which had total program costs included out to the year 2070 which add up to 1.5 trillion. But it's a 70 year program, with per decade costs around 200 billion, and annual costs at 20 billion. The total annual military budget is close to 800 billion, so the F-35 program is using only a fraction of those total resources. Yet some stupid senators wanted to cut the program because all they see is the word trillion. Based on its capabilities, the F-35 program will be the most successful military procurement program of all time, and it isn't close. There's a reason they budget it out to 2070 and that's because it will still be effective for at least that long.

Apologies for the off-topic reply, but I guess the point I'm trying to make is we need to find a coach that will set ourselves up for success in the long term, and we need to be willing to invest the resources to make it happen.

Got to spend money to make money.

how about Trev bet on himself and the university - offer Meyer 150 million over ten or Aranda (if he thinks he is an A list candidate) 120 over 10?

USC bet on themselves
He's got no incentive to discuss a contract with Kansas until the season is over. He's already got an extension through 2027 locked in, so he can tell them to tear that one up and pay him big conference money in the neighborhood of five six million year on the low end, or come to Nebraska. I could see us doing 7 and 1/2 million a year, with incentives to push it over 10 million.
I really hope he crushes his season and gets a call from us. This guy has won championships at the lower level, so I bet he'd like to test himself at the very highest level. Does his brand of football stand up against Ohio State, Michigan, and USC? You got to find out.

Gramps - tell me what it was like back in the 80s when the Bugeaters were relevant in college football! I bet it was swell!
It was glorious, especially the 90s. Are you nervous? You should be. Why else would so many squawkers show up on our board recently to tell us how irrelevant we are? 😂 You dummies are 3 and 0 and suddenly you act like you invented college football. BTW, thanks for making your coaches buyout so low. That will come in handy.

USC bet on themselves
Amen

Look, the new hire will, for the most part, have a ton of fan buzz around him...but Urban Meyer as the new hire, well that is boner juice.

Gramps - tell me what it was like back in the 80s when the Bugeaters were relevant in college football! I bet it was swell!
I think you meant to say this…

Gramps - tell me what it was like back in the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000s when Nebraska was in our conference owning us year after year. I bet it was swell!

Does Kansas even have a single decade with a winning record against the huskers?

Liepold is 58 -- lets generously give another 10 years of coaching

He probably gets bumped from 3 million per year to 5
He most likely is assured job security at Kansas with minimal success

that is 50 million dollars over the next 10 years possibly more if another pay raise in that time frame occurs

Nebraska may need to come up with a package in excess of 50 million
8 million x 7 years from a pure dollars perspective - he certainly isn't guaranteed job security in Lincoln

it isn't about the money per year but the absolute guaranteed dollar value if the contract.

if I’m Kansas I extend his contact out 10 years x 5 million
If they haven't it's too late unless he wants to stay at ku and uses this for negotiating

Reactions: BleedRed78
I think you meant to say this…

Gramps - tell me what it was like back in the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000s when Nebraska was in our conference owning us year after year. I bet it was swell!

Does Kansas even have a single decade with a winning record against the huskers?
91-23-3 all time vs. KU enough said. Won 36 in a row at one point

Don't you think Urb is the answer?

Watching KU put on a clinic today at Houston…wouldn’t be upset at all if Trev zones in on LL
I just looked at the KU site. Anyone want to guess who is listed as a Senior Analyst on Leipold's staff? Matt Lubick. I don't think this has any merit on Leipold being qualified for the Husker job or if he is even interested in the job, but I bet Matt does not have too many good things to say about Husker fans and coaching in Lincoln.

Last edited:
I just looked at the KU site. Anyone want to guess who is listed as a Senior Analyst on Leipold's staff? Matt Lubick. I don't think this has any merit on Leipold be qualified for the Husker job or if he is even interested in the job, but I bet Matt does not have too many good things to say about Husker fans and coaching in Lincoln.
What a nice benefit, getting your checkbook reconciled by the senior analyst

Reactions: Wasker77
KU’s offense is impressive. Doing whatever they want today.
I think what we all need to remember is that no matter who our next coach is -- Campbell, Aranda, Leipold, Rhule, ..whoever ... they are going to be light years better than Scott Frost. Watching some really well coached football teams today. So damn refreshing to see real teams with real coaches going at it. I almost forgot what that was like.

After watching today's games, I doubt we get either Leipold or Aranda. With OU and Texas leaving the Big 12, both are building programs that will have good chances to win the conference and therefore make the playoffs in the future. Why leave to compete against Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Penn State, etc.?

After watching today's games, I doubt we get either Leipold or Aranda. With OU and Texas leaving the Big 12, both are building programs that will have good chances to win the conference and therefore make the playoffs in the future. Why leave to compete against Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Penn State, etc.?

Why leave Kansas? You can’t be serious.

I would ask you to tell us what it was like when you were great, but one of your best runs was barely better than one of our worst.

Mark Mangina record at KU
2-10
6-7
4-7
7-5
6-6
12-1
8-5
5-7 for a total record of 50-48.

You beat us a grand total of 2 times in that stretch.

200w.gif

I just looked at the KU site. Anyone want to guess who is listed as a Senior Analyst on Leipold's staff? Matt Lubick. I don't think this has any merit on Leipold being qualified for the Husker job or if he is even interested in the job, but I bet Matt does not have too many good things to say about Husker fans and coaching in Lincoln.
He’s not dumb, and unless he’s a child like Frost, he knows what the real issue here was. Our fans are such super dorks when they try and blame themselves when their ex qb ginger Jesus was the biggest loser in program history

That’s assuming that there will be a Big 12

Reactions: BleedRed78
I think what we all need to remember is that no matter who our next coach is -- Campbell, Aranda, Leipold, Rhule, ..whoever ... they are going to be light years better than Scott Frost. Watching some really well coached football teams today. So damn refreshing to see real teams with real coaches going at it. I almost forgot what that was like.
I was wrong about Frost. I thought he cared about being coach at Nebraska, but sounds like he just liked the money and having the title of coach. The next coach will be better just by showing up and actually doing his job.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
ADVERTISEMENT