ADVERTISEMENT

Leipold is impressive

I think he needed the Buffalo gig first to be taken seriously

Yes. That is like asking "why didn't we hire Urban Meyer after his gig at Bowling Green?".

SPT-BG09P-C-09-08-2001.jpg

First off...KU doesn't even know they have a FB team...secondly...no one i staying at KU over NU.

This is similar to years ago when Self was at Illinois and left for KU...

Illinois is a great BB job...but KU is KU...
Keep this in mind when Kansas is constantly ranked. Why would Lance leave for this dumpster fire?

Keep this in mind when Kansas is constantly ranked. Why would Lance leave for this dumpster fire?
Why would he? I don't know.

I suppose I would say, why would Self leave Illinois for KU 20 years ago.

Would you say he left because it was going to be easier to recruit, easier to win and KU had more resources and tradition? Even though he had Illinois rolling, hee still left.

Reactions: headcard
We know he can develop 2 stars. Can he recruit 4 stars? It would be tempting to be happy with 8-4 or 9-3. But our goals should be much higher. We can't let the Frost debacle lower our expectations.

Lol......get over it it.

It's not the 90s or the 80s anymore.

Those seasons will be consistent from now on with the occasional breakout season being the goal.

Your thinking is why we are where we are now.

Didn't this guy win big time in the Div. 2 group? Can't remember. But his KU team last year was the best OU had seen in several years. And looks to be better this year.

Reactions: BleedRed78
It might just depend on what gets him hard, like, if NU is his dream job or if he just loves the idea of starting over...who knows.
It still takes a tremendous amount of energy to do the job no matter how much you love the work. Saban is an outlier

Turner Gill was the guy that got Buffalo going first
Not really. Gill coached 2006 to 2009. Only 1 winning season in there, followed by 6 years of futility. Enter Leipold. It took him 3 years to turn it around. Now they suck again.

Been on the Leipold train for awhile now. I just worry when he drops some games at KU the love fest will be over. I am crossing my fingers for 8 wins so that Nebraska will be okay picking him up.
I think it’ll probably be Liepold. If it is, he needs to hire a grizzled B1G conference vet to run his defense.

Liepold is 58 -- lets generously give another 10 years of coaching

He probably gets bumped from 3 million per year to 5
He most likely is assured job security at Kansas with minimal success

that is 50 million dollars over the next 10 years possibly more if another pay raise in that time frame occurs

Nebraska may need to come up with a package in excess of 50 million
8 million x 7 years from a pure dollars perspective - he certainly isn't guaranteed job security in Lincoln

it isn't about the money per year but the absolute guaranteed dollar value if the contract.

if I’m Kansas I extend his contact out 10 years x 5 million

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: WHCSC

that is 50 million dollars over the next 10 years possibly more if another pay raise in that time frame occurs

8 million x 7 years from a pure dollars perspective - he certainly isn't guaranteed job security in Lincoln

it isn't about the money per year but the absolute guaranteed dollar value if the contract.

They just extended him, so they'll look desperate if they try to extend him again in season. I doubt he would take it. Let the season play out and bet on yourself.

We're probably making over 100 million in revenues now per year. And you’re worried about the most important person in the program for around 5 million per year, which is only 5 percent of those revenues? It's the same old trick used to make government programs seem much larger than they are by including the total costs over a decade vs the annual cost.

An example is the F-35 fighter program, which had total program costs included out to the year 2070 which add up to 1.5 trillion. But it's a 70 year program, with per decade costs around 200 billion, and annual costs at 20 billion. The total annual military budget is close to 800 billion, so the F-35 program is using only a fraction of those total resources. Yet some stupid senators wanted to cut the program because all they see is the word trillion. Based on its capabilities, the F-35 program will be the most successful military procurement program of all time, and it isn't close. There's a reason they budget it out to 2070 and that's because it will still be effective for at least that long.

Apologies for the off-topic reply, but I guess the point I'm trying to make is we need to find a coach that will set ourselves up for success in the long term, and we need to be willing to invest the resources to make it happen.

I just don't understand all the hype for Leipold, he's only beaten West Virginia and Houston. He hasn't beaten anyone really good yet. He could very well lose the rest of the games on his schedule.

If he ends up going 4-8 or 5-7, are you all still going to want him?

Campbell has at least shown he can beat multiple Top Ten caliber teams and take a crappy program to a New Year's Bowl. I don't think I will be sold on Leipold unless he wins at least 8 or 9 games this year.

I just don't understand all the hype for Leipold, he's only beaten West Virginia and Houston. He hasn't beaten anyone really good yet. He could very well lose the rest of the games on his schedule.

If he ends up going 4-8 or 5-7, are you all still going to want him?

Campbell has at least shown he can beat multiple Top Ten caliber teams and take a crappy program to a New Year's Bowl. I don't think I will be sold on Leipold unless he wins at least 8 or 9 games this year.
A few weeks ago somebody on here was telling me they didn't see more than a win or two on their schedule. I admit it did look kind of bleak. But fast forward and here they are 3 and 0 with two of their wins against good opponents on the road. Now I look at their schedule and believe that they can beat Duke, Iowa state, Kansas state, Texas tech, and TCU. The other four opponents are all top 20. That's going to be a tough task, but I think they could steal one of those. I firmly believe they'll be somewhere between 7 and 9 wins. Nine wins is definitely the ceiling at Kansas. But he could get 10 and 11 wins at Nebraska I believe.

In other words - Kansas negotiated a diminutive buyout to protect themselves from paying a large sum if they fired him rather than a huge buyout to prevent others from poaching him. Sounds like they weren’t all in

we paid frost an extra 7.5 mil just to not coach 2 more games
Beat me to it.

A few weeks ago somebody on here was telling me they didn't see more than a win or two on their schedule. I admit it did look kind of bleak. But fast forward and here they are 3 and 0 with two of their wins against good opponents on the road. Now I look at their schedule and believe that they can beat Duke, Iowa state, Kansas state, Texas tech, and TCU. The other four opponents are all top 20. That's going to be a tough task, but I think they could steal one of those. I firmly believe they'll be somewhere between 7 and 9 wins. Nine wins is definitely the ceiling at Kansas. But he could get 10 and 11 wins at Nebraska I believe.

I'll believe it when I see it. A couple of weeks ago, many here were high on Chris Klieman after K-State killed Mizzou. Then he lost to Tulane and now nobody is talking about him. If KU loses to Duke and ISU the next couple weeks, I don't think we'll hear much about Leipold anymore.

Reactions: dinglefritz
ADVERTISEMENT