ADVERTISEMENT

Leipold is impressive

He's been the poster child of building programs to a degree. Others have done well when handed the keys of a finely tuned machine.

His stock went up and Kliemen went down today
Regarding Klieman; NDSU is on tonight vs Arizona on Fox Sports 1. 11pm est so 10pm cst.

Leipold current contract was just extended this year after their first game through 2027. He's averaging around 2.5M will final year around 3.5M. Buyout penalty of 5M for 2022.

Per a couple articles I could find. His base salary isn't much. Perks and benchmark bonuses are large part. No doubt monetarily, Trev would have no problem.

He's been on my list but not necessarily my #1. But after today, I'm convinced we're in for program rebuild and hes a program builder.

IF Leipold, I'd keep base middle of the road to less but load it up with incentives and money for top notch assistants. AND a guarantee that hes got full backing and generous checkbook for official visits and nil.

Throwing big $ guarantee salary without earning it days better be over.

Here's my mea culpa:

I beat the drum hard for Klieman over Leipold in another thread. After looking like absolute trash today against Tulane, Leipold is clearly om a better path with his decisions and ability. If Urban isn't signing here, then Leipold needs to be the guy. Even if he "only" gets Nebraska to be a 9-10 win team annually, the next hire after his tenure could be outstanding. Wasn't too enthusiastic before, sure am now.

Leipold current contract was just extended this year after their first game through 2027. He's averaging around 2.5M will final year around 3.5M. Buyout penalty of 5M for 2022.

Per a couple articles I could find. His base salary isn't much. Perks and benchmark bonuses are large part. No doubt monetarily, Trev would have no problem.

He's been on my list but not necessarily my #1. But after today, I'm convinced we're in for program rebuild and hes a program builder.

IF Leipold, I'd keep base middle of the road to less but load it up with incentives and money for top notch assistants. AND a guarantee that hes got full backing and generous checkbook for official visits and nil.

Throwing big $ guarantee salary without earning it days better be over.
You pay him enough to get him here if that's the guy you want. You don't mess around and play games with incentives if you actually want the guy to make a career move. Somewhere between $5-8 million is probably the market rate for a guy like that for a non-stepping stone job.

• Love
Reactions: SuperBigFan
Here's my mea culpa:

I beat the drum hard for Klieman over Leipold in another thread. After looking like absolute trash today against Tulane, Leipold is clearly om a better path with his decisions and ability. If Urban isn't signing here, then Leipold needs to be the guy. Even if he "only" gets Nebraska to be a 9-10 win team annually, the next hire after his tenure could be outstanding. Wasn't too enthusiastic before, sure am now.
Of course, that could all change next week, lol.

Reactions: Bold Words
Liepold is Tom Osborne 2.0. I wonder what his buyout is. I think it's very obtainable though because Kansas isn't paying that much right now.

First off...KU doesn't even know they have a FB team...secondly...no one i staying at KU over NU.

This is similar to years ago when Self was at Illinois and left for KU...

Illinois is a great BB job...but KU is KU...
Are you seriously comparing Nebraska football to Kansas basketball?

Are you seriously comparing Nebraska football to Kansas basketball?
You are kidding right?

How could you not?

KU basketball has like what, 3 titles in the last 30 years or so?

In fact, leaving Illinois BB is a bigger deal than leaving KU football.

You agree with that, right?

Reactions: headcard
You are kidding right?

How could you not?

KU basketball has like what, 3 titles in the last 30 years or so?

In fact, leaving Illinois BB is a bigger deal than leaving KU football.

You agree with that, right?
THIS CENTURY, KU basketball:

-18 conference championships

- 22 ncaa tourneys put of 22 years

- 6 Final Fours

- 2 National Championships

So I guess no I do not agree. Has Nu won a conference title this century? Not here to be disrespectful but you asked and I don't think there's any comparison

Reactions: JabroniBlvd
You pay him enough to get him here if that's the guy you want. You don't mess around and play games with incentives if you actually want the guy to make a career move. Somewhere between $5-8 million is probably the market rate for a guy like that for a non-stepping stone job.
I guess I wouldn't call this a career move but not going to split hairs.

His base salary is 500K at ku and capped at 2.75M with bonuses and incentives.

Our guaranteed $ we've paid for our last 2 coaches has really worked well and paid off well.

If we've gotta be at 8M so be it. I just want it to be EARNED and rewarded for a job well done. You can always go up and extend a contract if you're satisfied. If this is to be, it'll more than likely be his final landing spot.

Reactions: BleedRed78

- 6 Final Fours

So I guess no I do not agree. Has Nu won a conference title this century? Not here to be disrespectful but you asked and I don't think there's any comparison
KU fans care about anything other than titles? Hahaha...No...you don't.

You got Self because Illinois was ****ing cheap and would not pay him...you do know where he was about to go, right, it was not KU, want to know?

He is amazing and as an Illini BB fan,I hate that he left.

KU fans care about anything other than titles? Hahaha...No...you don't.

You got Self because Illinois was ****ing cheap and would not pay him...you do know where he was about to go, right, it was not KU, want to know?

He is amazing and as an Illini BB fan,I hate that he left.
Maybe but bill was a grad assistant at Kansas and he loved the KU program so I'm not sure it was because Illinois was cheap. He has even said that he knew it would be a better chance to win championships at Kansas.

I do think you guys have a good coach at Illinois now.

Maybe but bill was a grad assistant at Kansas and he loved the KU program so I'm not sure it was because Illinois was cheap. He has even said that he knew it would be a better chance to win championships at Kansas.

I do think you guys have a good coach at Illinois now.
He loves Illinois...He has said that many times

Of course KU was easier...they cheat better! I love Bill, as do all Illini fans...

But as a KU fan, you do realize that was not where he was about to go...it just so happend that lame ass Roy "left" at the perfect tim

• Haha
Reactions: vighawk
He loves Illinois...He has said that many times

Of course KU was easier...they cheat better! I love Bill, as do all Illini fans...

But as a KU fan, you do realize that was not where he was about to go...it just so happend that lame ass Roy "left" at the perfect tim
Thank goodness for that! :)

I guess I wouldn't call this a career move but not going to split hairs.

His base salary is 500K at ku and capped at 2.75M with bonuses and incentives.

Our guaranteed $ we've paid for our last 2 coaches has really worked well and paid off well.

If we've gotta be at 8M so be it. I just want it to be EARNED and rewarded for a job well done. You can always go up and extend a contract if you're satisfied. If this is to be, it'll more than likely be his final landing spot.
The failures of our last two coaches has absolutely nothing to do with whether their salary was guaranteed or not. They were crap coaches to begin with, that's why they failed. Saban and Lincoln Riley have $10 million plus salaries guaranteed. They don't need a ton of incentives to be successful because they're successful coaches in the first place.

We should be doing the exact opposite of a program like Kansas who isn't willing to pay a market rate for their coach because they don't give a crap about their program and will get their successful coach poached right away as a result. If we like to think we're a blueblood program, we need to start acting like it and pay the market rate of a destination program.

The failures of our last two coaches has absolutely nothing to do with whether their salary was guaranteed or not. They were crap coaches to begin with, that's why they failed. Saban and Lincoln Riley have $10 million plus salaries guaranteed. They don't need a ton of incentives to be successful because they're successful coaches in the first place.

We should be doing the exact opposite of a program like Kansas who isn't willing to pay a market rate for their coach because they don't give a crap about their program and will get their successful coach poached right away as a result. If we like to think we're a blueblood program, we need to start acting like it and pay the market rate of a destination program.
#1, I DON'T BELIEVE any of these contracts are ALL cash and all guaranteed.

#2, we really don't know details of usc because they're private and don't have to disclose.

I get your point but I do believe it's human nature to work harder if you have to earn it.

- 6 Final Fours

We are probably going to take your coach. Deal with it. No one gives a crap about your basketball team.

Kansas does look good. get LL through the next five games and get them bowl qualified and you may have a point.

Reactions: Hford
He seems to know offense. Would need to get him a solid DC to match.
And be comfortable in the NIL/portal world that we live in. He's more impressive than Campbell to me, if he can prove to Trev that he's ready to play in that cesspool.

Of course he would. And I bet he’d be relatively cheap too but is that what we’re looking for?
Might have to settle if we can’t get anyone else.
Outside of the pipe dream guys, LL looks really good. Could he be any better than Bo Pelini is my question at his height?

Even if LL doesn't come to Nebraska, he has coached himself into a serious pay raise.

16844879.jpeg

LL is the complete opposite of Frost. His teams are well coached, disciplined, and don't beat themselves. And has more winning seasons than losing seasons. And it doesn't take him 4+ years to get results. Why didn't we hire this guy instead of Riley and Frost and save ourselves a lot of pain?

LL is the complete opposite of Frost. His teams are well coached, disciplined, and don't beat themselves. And has more winning seasons than losing seasons. And it doesn't take him 4+ years to get results. Why didn't we hire this guy instead of Riley and Frost and save ourselves a lot of pain?
I think he needed the Buffalo gig first to be taken seriously

Reactions: ivan brunetti
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT