ADVERTISEMENT

Leipold addresses rumors

Given the last 20+ years I think there is some question if the place you describe is present day Nebraska

Im not sure past (very distant) history and sell out streaks are top of the list for a candidate whose primary aim is to win at the highest level.

our biggest asset given the state of the program is cash

What other "blue-blood" program is going to hire Leipold? I don't see Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Alabama, Georgia, Notre Dame, or Texas hiring him anytime soon. A great coach can absolutely still win big at a place that has the resources that Nebraska has. At Kansas, the ceiling is becoming what Stoops has done at Kentucky, winning 7-8 games a year but never competing for championships.

Reactions: BleedRed78
lol... its apparent you guys havent been listening to any of his recent interviews outside of this one. Dude will be in Lawrence next year. Not to mention your program isnt anywhere near what you think it is. Your program is no different than minnesota, iowa, or wisconsin at this point. In fact youre in worse shape than all of those programs aside from this season.
Can we all start keeping a list of these guys^ so when Leipold gives his emotional goodbye to KU fans in December we can laugh at them?

Given the last 20+ years I think there is some question if the place you describe is present day Nebraska

Im not sure past (very distant) history and sell out streaks are top of the list for a candidate whose primary aim is to win at the highest level.

our biggest asset given the state of the program is cash
Agreed. And I know I'm late to the party on reading some of MJ's comments from his presser earlier this week, but the more I hear from him, the more I think he might be the guy. The team seems to be taking on his personality and he seems to really care about the kids. He communicates with them. That's important.

The first red flag under Frost was before he even coached his first game at NU and excitement about him was still sky high. It was with how he handled naming the starting QB. He went with Adrian Martinez over Tristan Gebbia, which immediately prompted Gebbia to transfer. This is common for kids to do, but we later found out Frost didn't even communicate that to Gebbia, his QB coach did. Frost said he probably could have handled that better.

Doesn't sound like MJ would ever do anything like that. He'd at least talk to the kid first. (Although I know there's some controversy with that WR that just transferred.)

Anyway, unless you have Urban Meyer locked up, I think he's the guy, but time will tell.

That may be, but it’s still Lawrence and it’s still football in Kansas. Given the choice (money being no issue), if you’re a competitive guy, just about anyplace other than Kansas would be more likely.

Now maybe he’s tired of moving. If so, then who knows? But I have a hard time believing Kansas is more appealing than a multitude of openings that will happen by the end of this season.
Nice college town that is close to KC. Contrast that to Wisconsin’s winters and the career killer NU has been. IMO Wisconsin wants their DC. I also think Trev would prefer Rhule or Mickey. That said, living in Lawrence at 4-5m per year would be pretty sweet.

Agreed. And I know I'm late to the party on reading some of MJ's comments from his presser earlier this week, but the more I hear from him, the more I think he might be the guy. The team seems to be taking on his personality and he seems to really care about the kids. He communicates with them. That's important.

The first red flag under Frost was before he even coached his first game at NU and excitement about him was still sky high. It was with how he handled naming the starting QB. He went with Adrian Martinez over Tristan Gebbia, which immediately prompted Gebbia to transfer. This is common for kids to do, but we later found out Frost didn't even communicate that to Gebbia, his QB coach did. Frost said he probably could have handled that better.

Doesn't sound like MJ would ever do anything like that. He'd at least talk to the kid first. (Although I know there's some controversy with that WR that just transferred.)

Anyway, unless you have Urban Meyer locked up, I think he's the guy, but time will tell.
Mickey has impressed me with his coaching and press conferences. We’ll see if he can win enough to get the job. I for sure think he should be a very highly
Valued and paid assistant though if he doesn’t get the head gig

What other "blue-blood" program is going to hire Leipold? I don't see Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Alabama, Georgia, Notre Dame, or Texas hiring him anytime soon. A great coach can absolutely still win big at a place that has the resources that Nebraska has. At Kansas, the ceiling is becoming what Stoops has done at Kentucky, winning 7-8 games a year but never competing for championships.
Like I said - I think our past history plays very little role in the attractiveness of the job

I think many lump us in with Iowas and Wisconsins rather than the Notre Dames - Georgias or Ohio States as far as present day is concerned

I don’t think any of the schools you listed would be looking at LL after just 2 years at KU

Likewise Joseph was an assistant at LSU for a number of years and their associate head coach and wasn’t even interviewed for the LSU position

doesn’t mean those guys wouldn’t have a great deal of success

Nebraska is a good job - I no longer think it is elite - hopefully the next coach can put us back in that conversation

Last edited:
Mickey has impressed me with his coaching and press conferences. We’ll see if he can win enough to get the job. I for sure think he should be a very highly
Valued and paid assistant though if he doesn’t get the head gig

It's not going to be Mickey unless every current head coach on Trev's list turns him down, or he somehow wins the West Division. Trev has made it clear he wants a proven program builder.

Reactions: Meanfarmer3160
“There’s nothing to [distractions], so why spend time on them at this time? And if it needs to get into a further conversation down the road, you deal with it then. It just so happens that two jobs opened where I’ve lived the majority of my life, unfortunately. Nobody’s mentioning Colorado or Arizona State, or something like that, or Georgia Tech. That’s where to me, let’s let the kids enjoy what they’re doing.”

link

yeah, he’s ours if Trev calls him
please please please go to Wiscy.

This is actually the ideal time for a coach to take the Nebraska job. NU fans are not expecting nor demanding National Championships. Instead, bowl games and occasionally Making the conference championship game is the target.

Do those things, and every once in a while enough things will line up to make the playoff, especially since it is expanding.

And - the new coach will have unlimited financial resources. Big NIL money. B1G money. Great facilities. Fan engagement.

It’s a great time for Nebraska to be hiring.

I get that, but a head coach who has won 6 national championships at any level doesn’t strike me as a guy who will play it safe at a place like Kansas either. He’s gonna want more than Kansas can provide (not financially, but in so many other ways).
Let's say Kansas goes on to win the Big 12. There's a possibility that Kansas would get to go to the playoffs if that happened. Doesn't get much better than that and with Oklahoma and Texas leaving the Big 12 soon, Kansas's path to the playoffs gets easier.

2-3 years to build - then 8-9 wins will likely get him to the end of his career at NU. He will be 59 next year - his coaching shelf life isn’t that long.
He needs cash in heavily ASAP as the age issue will be more and more of a factor as years pass.
He is likely making enough money at Kansas that he probably isn't hurting for money.

As long as Kansas wins 7-8 games a year about 70% of the time, he could stay in Lawrence until he retires. If he does that at Nebraska, he will get fired for not winning enough games. If he values coaching longevity/stability, he very well might stay at Kansas.
I'm assuming he also understands $$$$

Let's say Kansas goes on to win the Big 12. There's a possibility that Kansas would get to go to the playoffs if that happened. Doesn't get much better than that and with Oklahoma and Texas leaving the Big 12 soon, Kansas's path to the playoffs gets easier.
If he can get Kansas to the playoff, then that means he is confident he could get anyone to the playoff.

coaches don’t approach situations with a loser mindset like you’re anticipating

I get that, but a head coach who has won 6 national championships at any level doesn’t strike me as a guy who will play it safe at a place like Kansas either. He’s gonna want more than Kansas can provide (not financially, but in so many other ways).
Yeah, I get that and he probably just sort of realized it too.

That one loss...no matter the final score, just knocked them out of a 4 team playoff even if they win out because the Big 12 is so lame.

They would not get in over any 1 loss team from the SEC and/or Big Ten.

Now, as it expands to 12...he knows he can get in with 1 loss but in the Big Ten he can probably get in with 2 losses when it expands to 12.

Reactions: timnsun
What would be really cool is if we could find a coach that just finished an undefeated seasonWinking.

oh-yes-yes.gif

Yeah, I get that and he probably just sort of realized it too.

That one loss...no matter the final score, just knocked them out of a 4 team playoff even if they win out because the Big 12 is so lame.

They would not get in over any 1 loss team from the SEC and/or Big Ten.

Now, as it expands to 12...he knows he can get in with 1 loss but in the Big Ten he can probably get in with 2 losses when it expands to 12.
He isnt gonna have just 1 loss this year.

This is actually the ideal time for a coach to take the Nebraska job. NU fans are not expecting nor demanding National Championships. Instead, bowl games and occasionally Making the conference championship game is the target.

Do those things, and every once in a while enough things will line up to make the playoff, especially since it is expanding.

And - the new coach will have unlimited financial resources. Big NIL money. B1G money. Great facilities. Fan engagement.

It’s a great time for Nebraska to be hiring.
So much this.

There is likely no HC that is hurting for money.

he could make in 10 years at Nebraska what would take 25 years at Kansas
If he is only going to be coaching for about another 10 years, then what's the difference? It's not like he's hurting for money.

If he can get Kansas to the playoff, then that means he is confident he could get anyone to the playoff.

coaches don’t approach situations with a loser mindset like you’re anticipating
If he gets Kansas to the playoffs once, maybe he will stay thinking that he can get them there a few more times

If he is only going to be coaching for about another 10 years, then what's the difference? It's not like he's hurting for money.
If he gets Kansas to the playoffs once, maybe he will stay thinking that he can get them there a few more times
no offence, but I’m getting the feeling you’re really young and have an almost video game mindset towards how coaches do things.

there’s a reason Meyer didn’t stay at Utah, or Saban at Michigan State.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT