ADVERTISEMENT

Legalize weed already...

The NCAA says nooooo. It is does not matter where it is legal, who thinks it should be legal, who thinks athletes smoking it is no big deal. The NCAA says no. The university says no. Team rules say no.

So....what part of no is not clear? Team leaders need to send a clear message that the team comes first. Until there are consequences....significant consequences....players will continue to put themselves above the team.

When law enforcement and social workers agree that it doesn’t harm anyone, that I might be in favor of enforcing it. But since they see the harmful effects, I am going to side with them.
Dumb. Law enforcement and social workers in Colorado smoke/vape/eat and were part of the voting that allowed it to be legalized. Alcohol is widely known as damaging by everyone, yet drunks sit on a high horse, talking down to pot use. It's all damaging.

I would ring the "it's against NCAA rules" bell if it was causing an issue with the NCAA. This is only popping up because of local legislation. Every college football team has lots of guys blazing. The NCAA doesn't really give a shit, despite the rules. Ask any player about the lack of drug tests in the NCAA

Why does it need to be compared to other legal substances? It is illegal for a reason, just because there is a nationwide "make it legal" mantra does not change the information, it just demonstrates that people will ask for something that may not be good for them. Now that several states have legalized it, you will begin to see more research and data. When it was illegal nationally, there was no reason to research something that was illegal. Google is your friend.

Here is a cumulative research on the negative affects. You can read each one that is linked if you wish. https://kgov.com/negative-effects-of-marijuana-pot-research-shows-cannabis-is-harmful Here is another article that has both pros and cons and links to various other symptoms and studies. https://www.healthline.com/health/addiction/marijuana/effects-on-body#1

What I don't understand is the lack of understanding/caring what it is doing or even possibly doing to athletes who must compete at the highest level possible. Then there is the tired comparison to alcohol. People can pretend it is OK and the best thing these kids can do is just be smarter about using it but is that what we think is best for their overall health? This is not the same weed that was around in the early 70's as well.

"It is illegal for a reason", good point, a better point would be is it a good reason or bad reason.

I would ring the "it's against NCAA rules" bell if it was causing an issue with the NCAA. This is only popping up because of local legislation. Every college football team has lots of guys blazing. The NCAA doesn't really give a shit, despite the rules. Ask any player about the lack of drug tests in the NCAA

GASP!! The NCAA is the only thing keeping our beloved amateur athletes away from commercialization and focused on what really matters: education!

how dare you slander such an upstanding institution!

another player caught in dorms last night, legalize it before we start losing recruits in the future.

I am more concerned with how smart these guys are. I am not a big smoker of weed but I did it occasionally when at UNL. My close friends and I didn't smoke pot in our dorm rooms. I know lots of people who did. I can't think of anyone I knew, at least very well, who got caught. Are these guys dumb or just clueless?

It been legal here in Washington for awhile and it has had NO effect on my life.

I would be concerned if it’s enough of a problem to impact the field or classroom, but light use is more common. I think it should be legalized everywhere immediately, but I understand that is not reality. The first step in that progression is for local authorities to explicitly realize that enforcement of possession of small quantities is the lowest of priorities. Sadly, the state of Nebraska is woefully behind the prevailing social winds. But hey, it’s not for everybody.

Reactions: DeadRed402
I would be concerned if it’s enough of a problem to impact the field or classroom, but light use is more common. I think it should be legalized everywhere immediately, but I understand that is not reality. The first step in that progression is for local authorities to explicitly realize that enforcement of possession of small quantities is the lowest of priorities. Sadly, the state of Nebraska is woefully behind the prevailing social winds. But hey, it’s not for everybody.

fining citizens via chickensh*t tickets sure beats going door to door raising $$ for the policeman's ball

university police got to justify their paychecks somehow

Reactions: SC_'sker
Yea I know this stuff is minor, but the fact remains it’s illegal and against team rules, quit being morons! Team leaders need to have a sit down and straighten this stuff out.

There is a difference between being a team leader and being a moral human being. Every single leader of the 95 huskers had moral issues, some legal issues, some were absolutely awful human beings but could flip the switch when it came to football. I remember a team a few years ago who was caught laughing on the sideline while being beaten by Iowa for 40, at home. That team had zero issues with weed but had zero football players or leaders. CF is a corrupt sport, coached and played by compromised human beings. And on the legality issue...I could certainly see the legislature legalize this thing if it impacts our football team. Right now we aren't good enough but imagine losing a bcs game because we had kids suspended for weed.

Reactions: Huskerfan2112
A simple google search of the NCAA drug testing program resulted in the following:

“The NCAA tests for steroids, peptide hormones and masking agents year-round and also tests for stimulants and recreational drugs during championships. Member schools also may test for these substances as part of their athletics department drug-deterrence programs.”

So as we learned during the Randy Gregory years, the school drug-deterrence programs can be in place to test for the recreational drugs and stimulants. When the schools don’t want to test, they don’t, and the recreational drug use will go on unbeknownst to the NCAA, until “championship” season.

another player caught in dorms last night, legalize it before we start losing recruits in the future.
Are you saying that smoking weed in the dorms should be allowed but smoking a cigarette shouldn't be? Lighting a candle should be banned but lighting a blunt should be allowed?
I don't think legalizing it in Nebraska is going to make a difference on what is allowed on campus and in particular in public housing. Universities are going to be reluctant to put federal funding at risk by allowing it to be used on campus. If the federal government legalizes it, that might be a different story, but smoking it probably still wouldn't be allowed in dorms. Maybe edibles.

When law enforcement and social workers agree that it doesn’t harm anyone, then I might be in favor of legalizing it. But since they see the harmful effects, I am going to side with them.

We may as well ban everything we can...

Not sure it should matter why they smoke. Can atheletes only partake in activities that advance their game? Why do people drink?

I'm sure alcohol is also one of those things the strength coach would rather you not consume. And a game of checkers for instance is not going to affect performance even if it were illegal to play, against team rules, AND ruled off limits by the NCAA. that is an activity.

Why do people take up MJ anytime, any where, any circumstance as a hill to die on? Give up the idol.

I am more concerned with how smart these guys are. I am not a big smoker of weed but I did it occasionally when at UNL. My close friends and I didn't smoke pot in our dorm rooms. I know lots of people who did. I can't think of anyone I knew, at least very well, who got caught. Are these guys dumb or just clueless?

It been legal here in Washington for awhile and it has had NO effect on my life.

They are young kids still and lacking awareness. There is also a big difference in terms of how powerful the odor of the weed is now as opposed to 20+ years ago. A lot of the stronger weed has overpowering smell that will travel through a bag and down a hall no problem. That's without even smoking it.

It is surprising that word hasn't gone around the team that smoking in the dorms is not a good idea.

I'm sure alcohol is also one of those things the strength coach would rather you not consume. And a game of checkers for instance is not going to affect performance even if it were illegal to play, against team rules, AND ruled off limits by the NCAA. that is an activity.

Why do people take up MJ anytime, any where, any circumstance as a hill to die on? Give up the idol.
You asked about how smoking it related to ones performance. I pointed out that not everything a football player does is done with performance in mind. You must be the 100% sober God fearing type.

You asked about how smoking it related to ones performance. I pointed out that not everything a football player does is done with performance in mind. You must be the 100% sober God fearing type.

also someone could win on a devastating last-second king play in checkers and weigh on a player's mind for weeks causing him to lose focus, putting himself and the team at risk.

ERRRR! Not true. Like most things, it has benefits and drawbacks. The drawbacks, you named: it can affect short-term memory and in general smoking something, even lightly as you do with weed, isn't good for the body in the long term.

BUT, it also has a relaxing and mild to moderate pain-killing effect. That part, for athletes, is actually quite beneficial.

But if it hurts short term memory, might that impact play in the field? People would be forgetful. Lets say you smoke a blunt before kickoff. What if you blow a coverage as a result? People might for get assignments or not. They might do one coverage twice.

But if it hurts short term memory, might that impact play in the field? People would be forgetful. Lets say you smoke a blunt before kickoff. What if you blow a coverage as a result? People might for get assignments or not. They might do one coverage twice.

The point is that marijuana is still a banned substance by the NCAA, regardless of whether it is legalized or not.
Your point was that testing positive for THC is an NCAA violation. Nobody tested positive, no NCAA violations. The real point is that none of our players are in cahoots with the NCAA for failing drug tests, only locally are they having trouble. They dont routinely test players for THC because they are aware of how widespread it is, and they dont care.

Is the Campus Police dept funded solely by the University? Maybe the Ath dept should share some of that B1G money.

RollingLaugh

wouldnt taxing the hell of out of it drive people to purchase on the black market?

Do you consider tobacco being overly taxed? I would think it should be very similar. Dont think there is much of a black market for tobacco.

I live in CO and even with very high taxes (40%+), it's much cheaper (~1/2 price) than it used to be on the black market.

or so a friend tells me ;)

Reactions: SC_'sker

Aww now now, DeadRed, do you have refer madness??

I understood you as saying that committing to a program for 4 years in an athletic capacity does not include accountability, responsibility, or sacrifice of any kind, especially when striving for championship level performance in a day and age where they test more than just the kicker for PED's.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
When law enforcement and social workers agree that it doesn’t harm anyone, then I might be in favor of legalizing it. But since they see the harmful effects, I am going to side with them.
It's not like law enforcement is conflicted by all the millions in funding they receive to combat the devil weed. Note that a lot of the big "drug free america" foundations are sponsored by alcohol companies and big pharma

Weed isn't being legalized in Nebraska anytime soon. It amazes me the difference in opinion between this board and what you hear on the street. Most Nebraskans I've talked to are against legalizing marijuana.

Reactions: TheNewNU
1. Not this again.
2. Are the cops this bored?

I used to work for University Housing. Dealing with reports of marijuana smells and such usually fall to RA's, who are just students. They receive tuition and living expenses in exchange for being RA's. They have certain policies, and they can bend the rules a little bit, but they're not going to put their entire future on the line for a dumbass smoking weed in his dorm room. There is NO SMOKING in the dorms, anyway. The smell would carry for miles. How stupid would someone need to be to smoke in a dorm?

If campus police receives a call, they are obligated to respond. Not because they are bored, or have an axe to grind, but because it is their freaking job to do so. Something about that whole being a police officer, you know, means not ignoring calls when you receive them.

legalize it before we start losing recruits in the future.

It is still a banned substance as far as both the federal government, and the NCAA, is concerned. Even if it were legal, like alcohol, it would still be illegal for minors, or to consume in the dorms. Is this really any worse than a freshman being caught with a bottle of Jack Daniels in the dorms?

Personally, I think all drugs that are naturally occurring should be decriminalized nationwide, but no one asked me.

This seems like a problem the leaders on the team need to take care of. Obviously there hasn't been enough punishment to stop guys from smoking in the dorms. Why our states media has to blast a violation equivalent to a speeding ticket is the biggest problem.

Regardless of anyone’s view on weed, I’d say the evidence is in that RAs and cops aren’t predisposed to look the other way. So these kids need to dummy up.

ADVERTISEMENT