ADVERTISEMENT

Legalize weed already...

You obviously don't know what your talking about, there is trace amounts. Vaping is just as safe as Nicotine Gum! https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...armful-than-tobacco-estimates-landmark-review

Formaldehyde
: It's also naturally occurring in many foods. Fruits like apples, bananas, grapes, and plums; vegetables like onions, carrots, and spinach; and even meats like seafood, beef, and poultry contain formaldehyde.

I'm not against vaping at all (I vape wax and smoke bud) but formaldehyde is absolutely present in the vapor, and the higher the voltage of the e-cig the higher the amounts of formaldehyde.Along with many other chemicals and heavy metals.

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
I love the pain killer excuse. Like any one of these dudes are smoking pot for the potential pain killer benefits. ha ha ha ha

I agree with you that the reason's they are smoking probably aren't because of pain killers, but the bodies on these kids do take a ton of punishment and they are a lot more beat up then people like to think. I have a family member who is a former prominent Husker and he was pretty beat up during his time in Lincoln and had to find all kinds of ways to relieve pain. Now that weed is more prominent I can see it being used for that along with CBD.

I agree with you that the reason's they are smoking probably aren't because of pain killers, but the bodies on these kids do take a ton of punishment and they are a lot more beat up then people like to think. I have a family member who is a former prominent Husker and he was pretty beat up during his time in Lincoln and had to find all kinds of ways to relieve pain. Now that weed is more prominent I can see it being used for that along with CBD.

Agree, but two different things. No one is saying, he man it was a rough day on the practice field. I think I'll smoke some cheeba to ease the pain.

You actually believe that or this sarcasm?

Man you are absolutely out of touch. Smoking weed no more causes someone to turn to meth than drinking a beer does. There is absolutely no correlation at all. It is just something that people uneducated on the subject say and believe. They are so different from each other and if anything I would fully expect someone who likes weed to not like the effects of amphetamine. It literally is as stupid and random as saying "watching tv leads to meth". Just because they have both been classified as illegal does not make them related in any way. I've smoked bud on and off again for many years and have never so much as thought about trying meth.

Thankfully times are changing fast and the old way of thinking is being phased out. Demographics are changing and people are more and more educated on the topic of marijuana use. I live in a southern state and just saw we are going to put this on the ballot to vote on in the near future, if this is happening in the bible belt it really won't be too much longer.

I'm honestly not even trying to be rude right now but you sound COMPLETELY out of touch on this subject.

Reactions: HuskerMania257460
Man you are absolutely out of touch. Smoking weed no more causes someone to turn to meth than drinking a beer does. There is absolutely no correlation at all. It is just something that people uneducated on the subject say and believe. They are so different from each other and if anything I would fully expect someone who likes weed to not like the effects of amphetamine. It literally is as stupid and random as saying "watching tv leads to meth". Just because they have both been classified as illegal does not make them related in any way. I've smoked bud on and off again for many years and have never so much as thought about trying meth.

Thankfully times are changing fast and the old way of thinking is being phased out. Demographics are changing and people are more and more educated on the topic of marijuana use. I live in a southern state and just saw we are going to put this on the ballot to vote on in the near future, if this is happening in the bible belt it really won't be too much longer.

I'm honestly not even trying to be rude right now but you sound COMPLETELY out of touch on this subject.
No you the one out of touch!!! I venture to say you’ve never seen small town USA. I can positively tell you that these people start out on weed, but then need more of a fix so next up meth!!

Reactions: OzzyLvr
No you the one out of touch!!! I venture to say you’ve never seen small town USA. I can positively tell you that these people start out on weed, but then need more of a fix so next up meth!!
Please regale us of the biochemical effects of cannabinoids and methamphetamines on the human body and how they relate to each other.

Reactions: zrob
I am sooooo happy there are people on here to explain how absolutely out of touch some of us are....because we happen to think that inhaling a narcotic or hallucinogenic substance is a bad idea. (which is what "weed" is classified as).

Regardless of my seeming ignorance of the subject ...whether it is legal or not it will remain a prohibited substance for the athletic teams at Nebraska. Period. My personal opinion is, smoke weed if you you want on your own time, that's you own decision. These players who are living off the University have been warned and told it is not allowed ....and should suffer serious consequences if caught with it. PERIOD... These are not junior boys.

I don't care if it is a cultural thing....or just a personal choice. When the University of Nebraska and it boosters (which I am one) are paying for these young men to attend college free....they need to be mindful of what they can and cannot do that includes alcohol as well.

Anyone who questions how weed can destroy your life needs to simply look at Randy Gregory.

Healthcare/drug costs are an entirely different issue.

That's a valid point you've got there. MJ is not a drug known to actually be proven to cure anything.

I grew up in a house with MJ use, meth use, alcohol use, cocaine use. My parents grew magic mushrooms under the stairs for Pete's sake. That's how they got into Grateful Dead shows, they didn't have tickets...

By far the two worst were alcohol and meth.
Weed was really the little lamb of them all with the exception of the affects on society and the morals that it tends to erode, it does lower your guard.

My uncle had brain cancer and tried using the marijuana medication....he died of brain cancer. The only good thing about weed is that if a patient is on chemo, it can stoke an appetite hopefully. That's it.

Other that that this legalizing thing is just for hedonistic aspirations.

Why is it so hard for the legalize weed people to admit marijuana is nothing but a gateway drug for more hard core drugs. It happens all the time

the same reason it's so hard for the prohibition crowd to admit telling people what they can't do doesn't stop them from doing it and only promotes keeping your head in the sand as far as education & treatment is concerned for youth and those adversely affected.

Reactions: zrob
The gateway argument is a false premise. Would I say that most meth heads have used pot? Yes. That does not make the inverse true to say all people that smoke pot will become meth heads, the numbers are not there. The vast majority of people that smoke pot will never try another drug because chemically there is no connection.

To take this to an extreme we could claim that drinking milk leads to drinking alcohol and becoming an alcoholic. Everyone that drinks alcohol started on milk therefore milk is the gateway to alcohol and as a result all alcoholics can blame it on the milk they drank as a child. See how stupid this sounds? It is the same argument. Factually it is true alcohol drinkers started with milk and meth users started with pot. The problem is not all milk drinkers drink alcohol and not all pot smokers use meth.

I am rushed for time but there is some research on the connection between marijuana and harder drugs. It is not conclusive. Here is one. https://www.verywellmind.com/marijuana-leads-to-later-drug-abuse-63520

It appears one major factor is the age at which the person gets started smoking pot. To say there is NO connection would be totally incorrect.

My best buddy in HS, who is now deceased, smoked pot and we drank a lot of beer together in our younger days. Later on he got into weed and speed. We would go to Husker games and we stayed at their house with him and his wife. Years later I get a call from her saying they were getting a divorce. What? Turns out he got into meth - before anyone even knew what the stuff was. It was so hard to find he went to Denver to get it. It was just a few years before he passed away, my wife and I met up with him and he told us all those years we were running around he was high on meth and selling in out of his house. So, purely anecdotal, but he went from weed to meth. The happy ending is he finally got his life straightened out and worked part time helping others beat additions at the time of his death.

Another guy I know through my brother was an exceptional athlete in HS. He started smoking in HS, he would be about 58 now. I see him every few years and the last time he said he quit smoking pot because even the good stuff from CO (he lived there for several years) couldn't do anything for him. He is a shell of a person. No memory, very slow thinking, moving and seems to have aged tremendously. Again, just anecdotal.

I can't count the HS kids who I had as freshmen who were smoking pretty regularly and by the time they were seniors (if they didn't quit or get kicked out) were just a mess. Slow talking, slow thinking, really didn't much. These kids, to my understanding, were very chronic smokers. It really hit home to me to see these kids change so much. There is tons of research that tells us that young brains and weed do not go well together.

Why is it so hard for the legalize weed people to admit marijuana is nothing but a gateway drug for more hard core drugs. It happens all the time
We all know what the real gateway drug is. It ain't weed

There is tons of research that tells us that young brains and weed do not go well together.

This I agree with. Young brains haven't fully formed yet. The other stuff is all anecdotal. Abusing anything can be harmful. New studies have shown that in states where recreational use is legal, teen usage is lower than in states where it is illegal. Even teens that try marijuana once or use once in awhile may be just fine. Those that have underlying psychiatric issues may indeed be triggered by the effects of marijuana & alcohol and may abuse to self medicate. Those individuals are probably at high risk to abuse other harder drugs as well.

That doesn't mean that marijuana is worse than alcohol. In fact, it is a lot less harmful to the body than alcohol and less damaging to society and families than alcohol. Prohibition does nothing to stop them from using it. It just makes them criminals when they get caught. If we value freedom in this country, we should not be telling people what they can and cannot put into their bodies. Personally, I think that meth, heroin and cocaine should still be illegal, but maybe we should decriminalize for personal use and instead treat their addiction properly. Medical instead of criminal.

Reactions: RedMyMind
This I agree with. Young brains haven't fully formed yet. The other stuff is all anecdotal. Abusing anything can be harmful. New studies have shown that in states where recreational use is legal, teen usage is lower than in states where it is illegal. Even teens that try marijuana once or use once in awhile may be just fine. Those that have underlying psychiatric issues may indeed be triggered by the effects of marijuana & alcohol and may abuse to self medicate. Those individuals are probably at high risk to abuse other harder drugs as well.

That doesn't mean that marijuana is worse than alcohol. In fact, it is a lot less harmful to the body than alcohol and less damaging to society and families than alcohol. Prohibition does nothing to stop them from using it. It just makes them criminals when they get caught. If we value freedom in this country, we should not be telling people what they can and cannot put into their bodies. Personally, I think that meth, heroin and cocaine should still be illegal, but maybe we should decriminalize for personal use and instead treat their addiction properly. Medical instead of criminal.
You have some valid points, do you know how Japan cured there opium addiction 100 some years ago?

ERRRR! Not true. Like most things, it has benefits and drawbacks. The drawbacks, you named: it can affect short-term memory and in general smoking something, even lightly as you do with weed, isn't good for the body in the long term.

BUT, it also has a relaxing and mild to moderate pain-killing effect. That part, for athletes, is actually quite beneficial.
For my son, it was a definite gateway drug that started 30 + yrs of heart-ache. He has destroyed so much gray matter that he can't hang on to a coherent sentence. CBD oil apparently has many benefits for pain, but the THC is the negative aspect from what I read and hear.

For my son, it was a definite gateway drug that started 30 + yrs of heart-ache. He has destroyed so much gray matter that he can't hang on to a coherent sentence. CBD oil apparently has many benefits for pain, but the THC is the negative aspect from what I read and hear.
Sorry to hear that your son became addicted

Reactions: ssmill777
You have some valid points, do you know how Japan cured there opium addiction 100 some years ago?

giphy.gif

?

Reactions: Baxter48
Keep your head buried in the sand
how many people started out watching football and ended up drinking every saturday? football is a "gateway drug" by the same logic.

The only reason marijuana would/could lead to other drugs is because once you dip your toes into the illegal market, it opens up the possibility. If caffeine were on the black market, many of them would probably graduate to meth.

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
Like...no one here actually cares if guys they don't know playing for a team that they are not part of smoke pot, do they?

The first "gate-way drug"
iu
When I was a kid the bank my mom went to had those out next to the coffee and tea...I attacked those sugar cubes like my life depended on it!

Then in 4th grade guess who couldn't wait to make a pyramid out of the sugar cubes!.

does more damage to society than marijuana.
I'll have a puff for you. Don't worry, meth won't be the result.
Not my worry, just hope you don’t work any pace that randomly tests for drugs. I don’t care what anyone does in there own home, I’m just not a fan of legalizing weed

Not my worry, just hope you don’t work any pace that randomly tests for drugs. I don’t care what anyone does in there own home, I’m just not a fan of legalizing weed
No randoms. Companies are starting to drop drug testing because they are missing out on many qualified applicants.

ADVERTISEMENT