ADVERTISEMENT

Legalize weed already...

Just get scripts for hydrocodone and cyclobenzaprine. It's all legal and non addictive. Big pharma said so.:rolleyes::(
It's crazy that benzos were advertised as not addictive when they first came out. Turns out they were one the most dangerous drugs to use and withdrawal from.

Reactions: HBK4life
Brilliant reason to legalize. Makes a ton of sense.

No one has produced any evidence why this is good for our athletes. There is plenty why it is not. I just assumed if we wanted people in their best physical and mental condition, we would encourage all aspects of that. Guess not. JMHO.

university police live for this sh*t

'no time for backup!'

Lol, that is ABSOLUTELY true. Campus Cops. BAHAHAHAHAHA.

In all seriousness though, this is happening because we live right next to Weed Mecca, weed feels great, and its a good mild painkiller. It should be fully legal, and everyone knows that at this point, but I digress.

The posters, and Coach Frost, who mentioned that no matter what, its still banned by the NCAA, are right; so, I would say, quit busting them for this and just enforce drug testing. If you fail your drug test, you get some sort of mild penalty, but if you fail it X number of times, you may face serious consequences.

I say this only because I know it's going to be hell getting the NCAA to ever back off of a current regulation. It would be NICE if they actually enforced all of their recruiting regulations, instead of just watching Alabama and Clemson get richer and more ornate with their b.s., but hey, that's just me.

No one has produced any evidence why this is good for our athletes. There is plenty why it is not. I just assumed if we wanted people in their best physical and mental condition, we would encourage all aspects of that. Guess not. JMHO.

ERRRR! Not true. Like most things, it has benefits and drawbacks. The drawbacks, you named: it can affect short-term memory and in general smoking something, even lightly as you do with weed, isn't good for the body in the long term.

BUT, it also has a relaxing and mild to moderate pain-killing effect. That part, for athletes, is actually quite beneficial.

It's a painkiller and it's a million times better than alternatives. I guess I would be curious on what evidence there is that it is bad especially compared to other legal substances. Please elaborate.

I'm sure all this isn't helping Dedrick Mills stay away from it. Sounds like Frost needs to have a come to Jesus talk with the team. I don't care if they smoke, but now that someone clearly very interested in enforcing this rule, they need to be committed to the team to either drop the habit or find a way to do it that won't draw the attention of Barney Fife.

I'm all for legalization of marijuana and I don't care if players smoke (just like I don't care if the drink alcohol, as long as they don't act like idiots). I've gone through this before, but the FDA is severely stupid for EVER lumping marijuana in with other schedule I drugs. Go look at the scheduling lists and tell me marijuana belongs anywhere near schedule I. Part of the schedule I definition is that the drug has no accepted medical use. Has anyone at the FDA read an academic medical journal from the 2000's?

https://www.dea.gov/drug-scheduling

How does this affect body chemistry when trying to perform, heal, and progress as an athlete?

I've got to think that humans were not designed to inhale smoke of any kind, so that would lead me to believe weed does not in fact help any athlete's condition.

It may help a cancer patient on chemo to desire food.

Not help athletes run sub 40 s or become more explosive off the line. Concentration??? Go con someone else.

another player caught in dorms last night, legalize it before we start losing recruits in the future.
I wonder if someone actually is hiring law enforcement personnel just to go around the dorm rooms of players to sniff for marijuana. Sure seems like it. There might be a better use of funds and the time of law enforcement personnel. Either that or their budget should be cut back.

another player caught in dorms last night, legalize it before we start losing recruits in the future.
Even if it's legalized, I'd have to imagine there will still be age limits like alcohol. I'm not so sure this is that different from a student being in possession of a 40 oz beer, but both are against the law and rules of the team/University.

I didn't follow all the rules in college, but when my fraternity had a no alcohol on premise rule (yes, we did), you can imagine that I didn't have it in my room.

Big picture: Weed is the same (or maybe even less damaging) than alcohol. It's dumb to keep criminalizing it differently.

Small picture: Stop having an illegal substance on your person or in your dorm room.

Rules exist. If you can't follow them, there are consequences.

Reactions: baseball31ne
iu

Reactions: Sinomatic
It's a painkiller and it's a million times better than alternatives. I guess I would be curious on what evidence there is that it is bad especially compared to other legal substances. Please elaborate.

Why does it need to be compared to other legal substances? It is illegal for a reason, just because there is a nationwide "make it legal" mantra does not change the information, it just demonstrates that people will ask for something that may not be good for them. Now that several states have legalized it, you will begin to see more research and data. When it was illegal nationally, there was no reason to research something that was illegal. Google is your friend.

Here is a cumulative research on the negative affects. You can read each one that is linked if you wish. https://kgov.com/negative-effects-of-marijuana-pot-research-shows-cannabis-is-harmful Here is another article that has both pros and cons and links to various other symptoms and studies. https://www.healthline.com/health/addiction/marijuana/effects-on-body#1

What I don't understand is the lack of understanding/caring what it is doing or even possibly doing to athletes who must compete at the highest level possible. Then there is the tired comparison to alcohol. People can pretend it is OK and the best thing these kids can do is just be smarter about using it but is that what we think is best for their overall health? This is not the same weed that was around in the early 70's as well.

How does this affect body chemistry when trying to perform, heal, and progress as an athlete?

I've got to think that humans were not designed to inhale smoke of any kind, so that would lead me to believe weed does not in fact help any athlete's condition.

It may help a cancer patient on chemo to desire food.

Not help athletes run sub 40 s or become more explosive off the line. Concentration??? Go con someone else.
Not sure it should matter why they smoke. Can atheletes only partake in activities that advance their game? Why do people drink?

How on Earth do NU players get their hands on this stuff when it's illegal in Nebraska? They must drive all the way to the dispensaries in Julesburg on the weekends, produce a fake ID, and buy it over the counter.

Reactions: Spectrumalaska
When law enforcement and social workers agree that it doesn’t harm anyone, then I might be in favor of legalizing it. But since they see the harmful effects, I am going to side with them.

Reactions: stucknks
ADVERTISEMENT