ADVERTISEMENT

Lebron vs Covington

Bump for @jmliehr... you do so much dodging in this thread... I just want to know why it’s ok for LeBron to speak his mind but not ok for a white superstar athlete to speak his mind.

What gives?

I’m trying to stay on topic as much as one can, you insist on bringing up stuff that isn’t relevant to the topic at hand. Was Drew Brees racist? No, I don’t see people saying it was. Was it tone deaf at the time for him to say it? Probably.

But I turn the question to you, did you have an issue with what Brees said? If not, why do you take issue with LeBron talking?

Don't watch UFC anymore because it's turned into the WWE but from what I can tell, this dude is just trying to become the next McGregor. He should probably focus on becoming a better fighter first.

Reactions: cvogele29
Drew Brees plays in a predominately black league, most of his team is black. That is why he can't say the things lebron can say. If Brees was an internet conservative who made money making hot takes and speak baiting then he could say it....position, job, and expectations matter. Many people are free to say things like Black people are inferior to whites...and these people make a million dollars a year on youtube. But certain positions require certain etiquette. If Brees wants to say want he thinks he will probably have to start an all-white football league in Idaho.
So let me follow this logic. If a white person lives and works in a predominantly black workforce then the white person needs to conform to the ways of the majority or go start his own business?

Wow that sort of sounds like what the blacks are complaining about now. Another form of do as I say not as I do.

I’m trying to stay on topic as much as one can, you insist on bringing up stuff that isn’t relevant to the topic at hand. Was Drew Brees racist? No, I don’t see people saying it was. Was it tone deaf at the time for him to say it? Probably.

But I turn the question to you, did you have an issue with what Brees said? If not, why do you take issue with LeBron talking?
Thanks for answering. Here’s the thing. In a court of law, what Lebran said would be thrown out as conjecture. It’s stupid and inflammatory. I don’t think it qualifies as racism by the book, but he is stirring the pot tremendously by saying it out loud.

It is now open season on police officers. We are seeing good officers getting ambushed and shot in broad daylight. Why throw gasoline on the fire unless you intend to bring harm to those in the line of fire? I don’t think it’s ok at all.

And I don’t understand why people give LeBron a pass for even musing aloud that white officers would wake up one morning and decide to end a black person’s life. You have said it was stupid. I agree. But it’s far more than that. In my opinion.

Don't watch UFC anymore because it's turned into the WWE but from what I can tell, this dude is just trying to become the next McGregor. He should probably focus on becoming a better fighter first.

I think you should not comment on UFC fighters. Covington is the number 1 ranked fighter in his weight class. He has lost 2 fights, 1 to the current champ. He has defeated multiple former champs.

You were replying to quotes from Covington himself. You quoted someone completely unrelated to the discussion. Why? Because he is black?

Who is black? The person I replied to? Covington? Sorry, your poorly worded question is a bit confusing.

I know you were going for that big 'gotcha" but because of your inability to draft a good question you missed out on that as well.

Lebron is a garbage human
Stop it. Do you know just how much that guy has done for charity and education? Never been in trouble with the law. Been under a microscope since he was 15 and his biggest misstep was his Decision on TV to go to Miami which simultaneously raised 2.5 million for the Boys and Girls Club. He has said some ignorant stuff but "garbage human"??? Miss me with that nonsense

Reactions: huskeralk
Stop it. Do you know just how much that guy has done for charity and education? Never been in trouble with the law. Been under a microscope since he was 15 and his biggest misstep was his Decision on TV to go to Miami which simultaneously raised 2.5 million for the Boys and Girls Club. He has said some ignorant stuff but "garbage human"??? Miss me with that nonsense
He's an entitled garbage human

Reactions: baseball31ne

You appear to be some sort of a Lebron James expert. I am interested in how much money he spends on community investment in Akron. Not simply in education or charity. Has he been involved in getting businesses in the poor areas of Akron up and running with loans or grants from his charities? Giving handouts and a prop up is great but there has to be the old "teach him to fish" aspect of it too. That is what I am not seeing in poor community charities.

Lebron is a garbage human

I don't think he is a garbage human by any means, but he is just another wealthy athlete/actor that has no grasp of what is actually happening in real life. Yes he grew up in that life years ago, but he has had it pretty easy since about the age of 15 when he became this physical freak.

PS. He is still not close to Jordan.

You appear to be some sort of a Lebron James expert. I am interested in how much money he spends on community investment in Akron. Not simply in education or charity. Has he been involved in getting businesses in the poor areas of Akron up and running with loans or grants from his charities? Giving handouts and a prop up is great but there has to be the old "teach him to fish" aspect of it too. That is what I am not seeing in poor community charities.
I think this is the best thing he has done
Students get one other notable benefit: If they successfully complete the school program and graduate from high school, James will cover their full tuition at the local public college, University of Akron.

Now I am not an NBA guy at all. I would say my favorite team is anyone that plays the Lakers but I dont get the hate for an all time great that has never been in any remote legal trouble. The school is an enormous community asset. Small classes help both teachers and students. Also the longer day and school year keep kids out of trouble and gives them a tangible goal if they graduate.

I think this is the best thing he has done
Students get one other notable benefit: If they successfully complete the school program and graduate from high school, James will cover their full tuition at the local public college, University of Akron.

Now I am not an NBA guy at all. I would say my favorite team is anyone that plays the Lakers but I dont get the hate for an all time great that has never been in any remote legal trouble. The school is an enormous community asset. Small classes help both teachers and students. Also the longer day and school year keep kids out of trouble and gives them a tangible goal if they graduate.
Honestly, I tend to agree with you here... I do think LeBron has done some really great things. I just don’t like fanning the flames like he did. Police are targets and LeBron doesn’t care. Most recently, when he could have added to the reward for the police officers shot in LA, his response was “zero comment.”

It seems to me he is all for the escalation against the police. And that baffles me.

Who is black? The person I replied to? Covington? Sorry, your poorly worded question is a bit confusing.

I know you were going for that big 'gotcha" but because of your inability to draft a good question you missed out on that as well.
Your poor reading comprehension skill is on you, not me. Sorry.

That, folks, is also called deflection, because he really, REALLY does not want to answer the question.

Woah.. I mean Lebron might be a bit racist, but he is certainly not a piece of excrement.
Now that is a matter of opinion.
He is arguably one of the biggest POS because sheep actually follow him like he is an idol and he is a sh!t stirrer instead of problem solver.

Reactions: RedMyMind
didnt colby get his jaw broke in his own division? sounds like he has other fish to fry.

I've been a Lebron fan since he joined the NBA. He's a once in a generation talent and fun to watch on the basketball court. What he's doing at the age of 35 is pretty incredible. I don't really care what he says off the court. If I don't agree with it, I mostly just ignore it.

Reactions: tpmcg
This is not a stupid statement. He is one of the few black leaders who points out that cops are people, he acknowledges that they bring baggage to work everyday, just like everyone else, except they have to make a snap decision whether to shoot or not, and this SNAP decision is certainly affected by bias and experience, which is how the brain works. Bias exists precisely to make a snap decision. Hundreds of unarmed people of all colors are killed by police every year, the reason the protests were so multicultural supports this fact. Cops are overburdened to deal with a crush of mental health issues, social problems, and the occasionally extremely violent traumatized individual who happens to be heavily armed. This reminds of the soldier quandary. Soldiers would be much better off if we used diplomacy, and created situations where soldiers were needed less often...cops would benefit from being demilitarized, and investing heavily in every arena that can deescalate a situation, with an elite trained force able to respond to true violent situations, forces so well trained that they aren't susceptible to shooting a guy with a fake or an invisible knife a half dozen times.

"Hundreds of unarmed people of all colors are killed by police every year, " You really should stop commenting because you have no clue on the data. The high number is 13 for 2019 and the low number is 9 for black people. White people are a bit more than double. You do represent the general public though in having no idea on that facts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT