BCBall20

Sophomore
Nov 13, 2003
IP H R ER K
G.King (W, 1-0) 4.0 3 1 1 1
M.Knutson 2.0 3 0 0 1
R.Eddins 1.1 4 2 2 0
C.Howell 1.2 1 0 0 3

When I looked at the box score from today's game I was puzzled how King got the win today and only pitched 4 innings as a starter. If it was a MLB game Knutson would have been credited with the win. College baseball has a rule if it is pre-arranged that the starter is going to go less then 5 innings and at least 3 pitchers are used that the starter can get credit for the win. I have linked the college baseball rule book it is referenced on page 98. Some people may have known this but I thought it was some useless knowledge I would share. Good win today. GBR

http://cbuao.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/2013-14-ncaa-baseball-rules-book.pdf

I remember hearing this last year from someone at the ball park when the same situation arose (although we ended up blowing the lead anyways). The win loss stat has always been one of my least favorite stats in baseball, you could pitch a gem and get the loss or give up 5-6 runs and get a win, it all depends on the offense and the opposing pitcher. Then again, how the 'Holds' stat in MLB is decided may be even worse.

ADVERTISEMENT