ADVERTISEMENT

Lay-off/furlough notices today in AD’s office?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, it was Redfield that said that if 95% of the public wore masks, it would be equivalent to a vaccine. Maybe if he were quoting someone else, he did indeed forget to mention social distancing and walking hands. I don't remember him mentioning social distancing or washing hands. Not saying he didn't, but I don't remember him saying that.

BTW, social distancingo 6 or more feet does not have more impact than masks. Maybe you should read up. Not only will sneezes and coughs propel aerosolized droplets much much further than 6 feet (up to 25 ft.), but the mosture on aerosolized viral droplets evaporates, and viral particles can float in the air for an extended period of time. Some papers have mentioned for hours.

If what you mean by social distancing is that people staying home reduces transmissions, then of course that is the case, but if staying just 6 feet away from others is the standard, then masks would have as much impact as people without masks that are staying just 6 feet or more from others. Especially when you consider that masks reduce aerosolization, which can float around for quite some time.

You also apparently didn't read my original post in this thread very well. I said..

”The head of the CDC said that if 95% of the population were to wear masks in public, it would have app. the same efficacy as a Covid-19 vaccine. In addition, recent info suggests that wearing a mask can actually reduce the amount of virus the mask wearer is exposed to. That can cause fewer symptoms as a result of lesser exposure.

No one is saying that masks will completely eliminate transmissions. But masks, along with social distancing and hand washing do make a difference."
Go read the EXACT article on the AMA's website. Yes Redfield said it too and YES he also emphasizes the importance of social distancing. Do you understand WHY they BOTH said the same thing? It's an official talking point from the CDC and BOTH guys IF you actually read the entire article, include social distancing and hand washing as part of the way that might equal vaccination. MASKS ALONE AS YOU FIRST STATED ARE NOT GOING TO GET YOU TO A PROTECTION LEVEL OF A VACCINE. Another thing to consider, when an epidemiologist talks about a mask to prevent disease transmission I guarandamnedtee you that he isn't picturing 99% of what is actually being worn out there by you and your buds.

Reactions: GBRforLife1
So your a drug dealer! Look I think what you have accomplished is great. I’m definitely not a expert just my two cents. There is a lot of miss information out there. There have been way to many reports that patients have used and were cured with hydroxychlorquine. Look I don’t care if Russia or a dr in Montana finds something the will treat it effectively. That should be reported
A Yale University epidemiology professor just was quoted as saying that there are 12 different trials that support hydroxyquinilone has value in prophylaxis and treatment of COVID. He also stated that for some reason there is a concerted campaign by some people to discredit the drug. Gee. I wonder why? Personally, I'm not a believer for treatment but the idea that it is a horribly toxic useless drug is not factual either.

See that’s my problem, why do they need clinical data? If for example 5 aspirins and 2 zinc pills help control it, why not endorse it? By biggest complaint is if it’s not expensive drug it’s doesn’t work. Someone or company is going to make out like a fat hog on something that works 55% of the time but by gawd we have the data.

You have to keep in mind that the largest retrospective study on hydroxychloroquine took place in the VA. At least the most recent I'm aware of anyway.

The data from that study suggests that the drug caused dangerous alterations in the heart rhythm (prolonged Q-T interval) that ultimately led to higher mortality with hydroxychloroquine vs no drug. This information carries a lot of weight with the US healthcare community, and they are still leary of the drug.

https://www.physiciansweekly.com/co...-increased-mortality-with-hydroxychloroquine/

A Yale University epidemiology professor just was quoted as saying that there are 12 different trials that support hydroxyquinilone has value in prophylaxis and treatment of COVID. He also stated that for some reason there is a concerted campaign by some people to discredit the drug. Gee. I wonder why? Personally, I'm not a believer for treatment but the idea that it is a horribly toxic useless drug is not factual either.

Oh, you mean this guy that quoted non-randomized, poorly controlled trials? C'mon man, your bias is showing.

I'm fully willing to acknowledge hydroxychloroquine as a feasible drug...if the data supports it. This Dr. has been categorically dismissed by the medical community.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/87844

You have to keep in mind that the largest retrospective study on hydroxychloroquine took place in the VA. At least the most recent I'm aware of anyway.

The data from that study suggests that the drug caused dangerous alterations in the heart rhythm (prolonged Q-T interval) that ultimately led to higher mortality with hydroxychloroquine vs no drug. This information carries a lot of weight with the US healthcare community, and they are still leary of the drug.

https://www.physiciansweekly.com/co...-increased-mortality-with-hydroxychloroquine/
:rolleyes: READ THE WHOLE DAMNED ARTICLE! The conclusions drawn from that data are EXTREMELY misleading. A disclaimer at the end notes: Patients who were more seriously ill were more likely to receive either hydroxycloroquine or hydroxy + azithromycin. What does that mean? It means the conclusions from this retrospective study are extremely flawed. Of course the patients who got hydroxy had a higher mortality rate. THEY WERE SICKER TO START OUT WITH! I am NOT promoting hydroxycloroquine for treatment but at some point the blatant dishonesty has to stop. The EKG changes that are cited for this drug are similar to what you would see with another widely used antibiotic. It's not a big deal.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
there have been 8 randomized controlled trials of hydroxychloroquine to date

4 in hospitalized patients
2 in outpatients
2 as prophylaxis

all 8 are negative

the vast majority of the other nonrandomized studies (including the Henry Ford study) all contain a statement regarding the need to confirm results as part of a RCT

this is not to say that perhaps the drug, in a narrow, yet undefined subset of patients may be of benefit but given the 8 trials listed, the benefit, if any is discovered, will likely be quite small

conclusion of the Henry Ford Study:

However, our results should be interpreted with some caution and should not be applied to patients treated outside of hospital settings. Our results also require further confirmation in prospective, randomized controlled trials that rigorously evaluate the safety and efficacy of hydroxychloroquine therapy for COVID19 in hospitalized patients.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoosker Du
177,000ish deaths in the US, 53,000 in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, most of which took place between February and April, most of which were due to governors and mayors sending covid positive patients into nursing homes.

Talk all you want about masks, shutdowns and all the other stuff.

As DJT said, it is what it is. We aren't controlling anything. When it is your time to get the virus, you are going to get the virus. Look at the graphs, it isn't that freaking hard.

You mean sorta like saying sunlight kills the Coronavirus in a nanosecond? Misleading in that manner?

Tell me what legitimate medical school doesn't believe that masks reduce the spread of this virus. You're full of shit.

Oh, my apologies. I forgot about Ian Miller being a legitimate source. Laughing
While they may say that masks along with other measures help reduce the spread, if you place a homemade cloth mask on a table next to a fitted n95 and ask them to go into a room to treat a c19 patient I think I can guess which one they will choose. My daughter is a M2 at a top 30 med school and when she meets with her preceptor, particularly when doing hospital rounds, she isn't armed with grandma Trudys hand made mask, she is required to have a n95 and a faceshield.

I dont think masks hurt anything. I wear one whenever I go inside a building open to the public, but I think social distancing is a big part of the equation. But really the main reason I tell my 17 year old to wear his mask is so that if someone he knows gets the rona, he can say he was masked when he was with them and avoid a quarantine.

177,000ish deaths in the US, 53,000 in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, most of which took place between February and April, most of which were due to governors and mayors sending covid positive patients into nursing homes.

Talk all you want about masks, shutdowns and all the other stuff.

As DJT said, it is what it is. We aren't controlling anything. When it is your time to get the virus, you are going to get the virus. Look at the graphs, it isn't that freaking hard.

When you start quoting Donald Trump in matters of Science and medicine...well, it's probably time for you to sit this conversation out.

Go read the EXACT article on the AMA's website. Yes Redfield said it too and YES he also emphasizes the importance of social distancing. Do you understand WHY they BOTH said the same thing? It's an official talking point from the CDC and BOTH guys IF you actually read the entire article, include social distancing and hand washing as part of the way that might equal vaccination. MASKS ALONE AS YOU FIRST STATED ARE NOT GOING TO GET YOU TO A PROTECTION LEVEL OF A VACCINE. Another thing to consider, when an epidemiologist talks about a mask to prevent disease transmission I guarandamnedtee you that he isn't picturing 99% of what is actually being worn out there by you and your buds.

Any mask that alters airflow will aid in reducing transmissions. Even bandanas will work. This has been highlighted by the CDC repeatedly.

"Rutheford was more blunt. The legitimate concern that the limited supply of surgical masks and N95 respirators should be saved for health care workers should not have prevented more nuanced messaging about the benefits of masking. “We should have told people to wear cloth masks right off the bat,” he said."

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/4...s-heres-science-behind-how-face-masks-prevent

When you start quoting Donald Trump in matters of Science and medicine...well, it's probably time for you to sit this conversation out.

the quote was the point. It is what it is. Masks and other methods do not control this thing. It simply runs it course, then goes dormant. Again, look at the graphs of any country, state, city, or county, the graph patterns nearly all look the same. It doesn't matter what steps you take, lock down, mask, social distance, stand back to back with one leg in the air, whatever you want.

:rolleyes: READ THE WHOLE DAMNED ARTICLE! The conclusions drawn from that data are EXTREMELY misleading. A disclaimer at the end notes: Patients who were more seriously ill were more likely to receive either hydroxycloroquine or hydroxy + azithromycin. What does that mean? It means the conclusions from this retrospective study are extremely flawed. Of course the patients who got hydroxy had a higher mortality rate. THEY WERE SICKER TO START OUT WITH! I am NOT promoting hydroxycloroquine for treatment but at some point the blatant dishonesty has to stop. The EKG changes that are cited for this drug are similar to what you would see with another widely used antibiotic. It's not a big deal.

Every clinical trial you are referencing from Harvey Risch M.D. is flawed. He's become a laughing stock at Yale for his support of poorly designed trials.

the quote was the point. It is what it is. Masks and other methods do not control this thing. It simply runs it course, then goes dormant. Again, look at the graphs of any country, state, city, or county, the graph patterns nearly all look the same. It doesn't matter what steps you take, lock down, mask, social distance, stand back to back with one leg in the air, whatever you want.

That is patently false. Again, if this were the case, would the U.S. have 25% of the cases, with only 4% of the population?

Other countries are doing something to slow the spread of this virus. A combination of social distancing, masks, and contact tracing. We're past contact tracing at this point, but will have to use it again if we were get the virus under control.

Redfield has said that if we start wearing masks on a large scale (for Dingle; social distance and wash hands (implied)) we could get control of this virus within 4 - 8 weeks. Masks and social distancing do work, but we can't have 60% of the country wearing them. We need upwards of 80+% complying to make a dent. Ideally we would have everyone complying, but if we could even get to 80-85%, we would have a positive impact.

Um. The guy you seemed so ready to believe who compiled the VA study data called out Trump in the article you linked by name. When that happens don't you think that brings in to question his bias? The headline on the article AND the conclusions drawn from that article are grossly misleading. That's my takeway from that "study" and I'm not a proponent of hydroxyquinilone. I also believe however that IF a practitioner wants to prescribe it prophylactically and IF in his hands it seems to help some patients, then it SHOULD be available to him as an option. The drug is not nearly as toxic as some Drs and the media would have you believe.

That is patently false. Again, if this were the case, would the U.S. have 25% of the cases, with only 4% of the population?

Other countries are doing something to slow the spread of this virus. A combination of social distancing, masks, and contact tracing. We're past contact tracing at this point, but will have to use it again if we were get the virus under control.

Redfield has said that if we start wearing masks on a large scale (for Dingle; social distance and wash hands (implied)) we could get control of this virus within 4 - 8 weeks. Masks and social distancing do work, but we can't have 60% of the country wearing them. We need upwards of 80+% complying to make a dent. Ideally we would have everyone complying, but if we could even get to 80-85%, we would have a positive impact.
The problem is that their idea of mask wearing and social distancing is NEVER going to happen in this country. NEVER. Academic ideals are great. We're living in the real world out here and can't work from home. So go sit on your ass at your computer all day. Have you ever tried to work in a retail setting wearing a F'n mask all day. Go watch them at Menards or at the meat counter at HyVee. HyVee HAS to be open. The CDC's official estimate of how long it would take to "control" this virus is laughable. It's a joke. The masks are a joke. Yeah I'm glad they're at least trying and conscious of it but for God's sake man masks aren't the answer you think they are.

Reactions: Crazyhole
Um. The guy you seemed so ready to believe who compiled the VA study data called out Trump in the article you linked by name. When that happens don't you think that brings in to question his bias? The headline on the article AND the conclusions drawn from that article are grossly misleading. That's my takeway from that "study" and I'm not a proponent of hydroxyquinilone. I also believe however that IF a practitioner wants to prescribe it prophylactically and IF in his hands it seems to help some patients, then it SHOULD be available to him as an option. The drug is not nearly as toxic as some Drs and the media would have you believe.

Dingle, do you really not understand why people would call out Trump? I'm tired of arguing at this point, so I'll just say that a guy isn't going to build a lot of trust with the populous when he utters phrases like "Injecting Disinfectants."

At that point a guy may as well pack it in in terms of credibility on the science/medical front, because the country collectively had to pick their lower jaw up off the floor. Let's be honest...that's one you can't make your way back from. If he wants to increase his chances of winning this election, he just needs to stop doing Coronavirus pressers. Allow Dr. Birx to head them up. He is only hurting himself by being on the stage.

The problem is that their idea of mask wearing and social distancing is NEVER going to happen in this country. NEVER. Academic ideals are great. We're living in the real world out here and can't work from home. So go sit on your ass at your computer all day. Have you ever tried to work in a retail setting wearing a F'n mask all day. Go watch them at Menards or at the meat counter at HyVee. HyVee HAS to be open. The CDC's official estimate of how long it would take to "control" this virus is laughable. It's a joke. The masks are a joke. Yeah I'm glad they're at least trying and conscious of it but for God's sake man masks aren't the answer you think they are.

And you're wrong. The only thing we can do is wear masks, social distance, wash hands...until we get to a vaccine. That WILL result in the least loss of life. It would kill millions trying to attain a herd immunity, so just eliminate that from any serious thought from here on out. We're not going that route. Period.

A vaccine that provides even 3 or 4 months of antibodies can get us out of this pandemic. But if people refuse to get the vaccine, just like they refused to wear masks and socially distance, then say good-bye to your freedoms for at least another year. And say goodbye to some of your loved ones too, because you will lose friends and family with another year of this virus.

Dingle, do you really not understand why people would call out Trump? I'm tired of arguing at this point, so I'll just say that a guy isn't going to build a lot of trust with the populous when he utters phrases like "Injecting Disinfectants."

At that point a guy may as well pack it in in terms of credibility on the science/medical front, because the country collectively had to pick their lower jaw up off the floor. Let's be honest...that's one you can't make your way back from. If he wants to increase his chances of winning this election, he just needs to stop doing Coronavirus pressers. Allow Dr. Birx to head them up. He is only hurting himself by being on the stage.
I understand completely. He spoke on something he should have probably let Dr.s speak about. Do you understand that technically what Trump said about "disinfectants" is not wrong? Iodine is a widely used disinfectant. Did you realize that IV Iodine is given by veterinarians to treat some types of infections in cattle which are not susceptible to standard antibiotics? At the point he made that comment, we were looking at everything and anything that might be used to treat COVID. Drugs are nothing more than another chemical which might be used internally or externally. It wouldn't matter what the guy said, 50% of the public and 90% of the media are going to find something wrong with it.

And you're wrong. The only thing we can do is wear masks, social distance, wash hands...until we get to a vaccine. That WILL result in the least loss of life. It would kill millions trying to attain a herd immunity, so just eliminate that from any serious thought from here on out. We're not going that route. Period.

A vaccine that provides even 3 or 4 months of antibodies can get us out of this pandemic. But if people refuses to get the vaccine, just like they refused to wear masks and socially distance, then say good-bye to your freedoms for at least another year. And say goodbye to some of your loved ones too, because you will lose friends and family with another year of this virus.
The only way a vaccine gets us out of this mess completely is IF we get everyone to take it and you and I both know that isn't going to happen. The only way masks make diddly shits difference is IF everyone has a proper one and wears it properly. It's pretty obvious from video footage that even the blowhards on TV and the politicians aren't wearing effective masks Given the choice between masks and 6 foot distance, I'll take the 6 feet every day of the week. Give me some sunshine and 6 feet and I'm golden.

I understand completely. He spoke on something he should have probably let Dr.s speak about. Do you understand that technically what Trump said about "disinfectants" is not wrong? Iodine is a widely used disinfectant. Did you realize that IV Iodine is given by veterinarians to treat some types of infections in cattle which are not susceptible to standard antibiotics? At the point he made that comment, we were looking at everything and anything that might be used to treat COVID. Drugs are nothing more than another chemical which might be used internally or externally. It wouldn't matter what the guy said, 50% of the public and 90% of the media are going to find something wrong with it.

Don't even attempt to defend the comment. It will make you look as silly as him.

Drugs are designed to target human receptors, which ideally result in a positive response. Granted some drugs were discovered by accident. Disinfectants were designed to clean toilets and sinks. No human receptors were targeted during Lysol R&D..

The only way a vaccine gets us out of this mess completely is IF we get everyone to take it and you and I both know that isn't going to happen. The only way masks make diddly shits difference is IF everyone has a proper one and wears it properly. It's pretty obvious from video footage that even the blowhards on TV and the politicians aren't wearing effective masks Given the choice between masks and 6 foot distance, I'll take the 6 feet every day of the week. Give me some sunshine and 6 feet and I'm golden.

Masks don't need to be proper, but they do need to be worn correctly. If you alter airflow, you alter virus flow.

I'm guessing that people will be highly motivated to impose harsh penalties to those that don't get the vaccine. Call it Orwellian all you want. We have a responsibility to each other to get the vaccine. Adults won't be allowed to go to work and kids won't be allowed in school. That will be the way it's going to be. Like it or not. People are tired of living like this.

Masks don't need to be proper, but they do need to be worn correctly. If you alter airflow, you alter virus flow.

I'm guessing that people will be highly motivated to impose harsh penalties to those that don't get the vaccine. Call it Orwellian all you want. We have a responsibility to each other to get the vaccine. Adults won't be allowed to go to work and kids won't be allowed in school. That will be the way it's going to be. Like it or not. People are tired of living like this.
Geezus man. You've lost your mind. Masks won't fix this. Get over it. Wear yours and STFU. I'll wear my PROPER mask properly in to stores and hope it's enough to protect me from the shedders in cloth masks like Biden wears.

none of them were randomized, prospective, double blind placebo controlled trials. those are the kind of trials necessary to "prove" effectiveness. other kinds of trials like the ones this doctor refers to can be useful and create interest in following through with the much needed gold standard study later on. If you read the Yale study the authors actually state another kind of trial is recommended to confirm their findings. So it is possible there is benefit in prophylactic setting and maybe it needs to be studied more there which it probably is but at this time retrospective observational studies are not designed to draw cause and effect conclusions. somebody needs to do a better study

when the country was in lockdown why did the infections go lower than its ever been. and when lockdowns were stopped infections went up? how did NYC go to almost no infections? i'm not advocating lockdowns but if you dont think they reduced infections then you just are living in an alternate world. There are thousands of college kids with the virus since returning to campus that did not get it the 6 months they were at home. Its literally impossible to get it if aren't aren't close to other people

this is probably the issue with masks. it isnt that they dont work. its that we won't get enough people to use them effectively enough to make a big difference. which makes masks a problem. similarly if you make a very effective drug but price it so that no one will buy it then it isnt really very effective. i will agree with this. doesn't mean you dont try though.

First of all that isn’t what trump said, your news personal added that. One lie after another.

Hey the CDC said a bandana was fine!!!

First of all that isn’t what trump said, your news personal added that. One lie after another.
It actually was pretty close to that . I cringed because I KNEW that even though what he said wasn't completely crazy, his enemies were going to use it and go nuts over it. Very few M.D.s even know how disinfectants are used in some species. Hell a laboratory dye is used IV to treat some conditions in animals.

this is probably the issue with masks. it isnt that they dont work. its that we won't get enough people to use them effectively enough to make a big difference. which makes masks a problem. similarly if you make a very effective drug but price it so that no one will buy it then it isnt really very effective. i will agree with this. doesn't mean you dont try though.

They dont phucking work. There is no evidence! Repeat after me: There is no evidence masks work.

It's taken you a while, but nice to see you come around. Winking

Great point on academic ideals.

Hey the CDC said a bandana was fine!!!
I was in a checkout line and a guy came barging in wearing his fashion mask. I feel the air move and smell his breath. Yeah I don't think cloth masks do much in close quarters other than stop very large droplets.

when the country was in lockdown why did the infections go lower than its ever been. and when lockdowns were stopped infections went up? how did NYC go to almost no infections? i'm not advocating lockdowns but if you dont think they reduced infections then you just are living in an alternate world. There are thousands of college kids with the virus since returning to campus that did not get it the 6 months they were at home. Its literally impossible to get it if aren't aren't close to other people

Because the location of the infections was different. The virus hit the north east part of the US. The spike was big early then fell off, the it moved to other parts of the country, huge spike then it falls off. Look at the data. The graphs are very similar regardless of state and regardless of mask order or lock down.

Reactions: leodisflowers

Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
It's taken you a while, but nice to see you come around. Winking

Great point on academic ideals.
Look. I wear a surgical mask because I'm 62, have asthma and am on a T cell suppressing chemotherapeutic agent. It isn't 100% but it gives me some degree of protection from random strangers who spit when they talk. I think we should try to limit droplets but selling masks the way some on here and frankly some in government are is dishonest.

Last edited:
Reactions: GBRforLife1
I was in a checkout line and a guy came barging in wearing his fashion mask. I feel the air move and smell his breath. Yeah I don't think cloth masks do much in close quarters other than stop very large droplets.

Reasonable. I think we could believe that.

Because the location of the infections was different. The virus hit the north east part of the US. The spike was big early then fell off, the it moved to other parts of the country, huge spike then it falls off. Look at the data. The graphs are very similar regardless of state and regardless of mask order or lock down.
Many epidemiologists suggest now that New York City reached a population immunity from infection AND T cell cross protection to generic Corona viruses that slowed the spread.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Look. I wear a surgical mask because I'm 62, have asthma and am on a T cell chemotherapeutic agent. It isn't 100% but it gives me some degree of protection from random strangers who spit when they talk. I think we should try to limit droplets but selling masks the way some on here and frankly some in government are is dishonest.

I think that's what most have been saying since May or June.

Many epidemiologists suggest now that New York City reached a population immunity from infection AND T cell cross protection to generic Corona viruses that slowed the spread.

It likely did.

But seasonality also seems to play a role.

I'm starting to think there are multiple factors: seasonality, herd immunity, T cell protection, age, comorbidities.

The virus is inevitable. The epidemiologists who think the can stop it are lying. It's not if, it's when.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT