ADVERTISEMENT

Lay-off/furlough notices today in AD’s office?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around all this. So now people are telling me that if they had a grandpa that died 2 years ago who was a borderline alcoholic, lifetime smoker, 40 lbs overweight but otherwise did normal grandpa things. That grandpa gets cancer, let's say pancreatic cancer, and dies. If someone asked what their grandpa died from they would say he was an overweight, chain smoking alcoholic and not blame it on the cancer? I call b.s. Newsflash. Their are all kinds of unhealthy people walking around that somehow defy death for many, many years. It's actually quite amazing.

That's because the quality of living in the US is very good as is the medical care in general.

My grandparents were the picture of death for many years before they kicked it. One failing organ after another, yet they kept on kicking.

that only proves that the virus can continue to transmit in an open society who are encouraged to wear masks. It does not mean wearing masks is worthless because you do not have similar group of patients in the same geographic area that are not ever wearing masks. this twitter guy is making conclusions he cannot make. the data only shows that mask mandates haven't slowed transmission. it does not show they are worthless. without the mask mandate the transmission might be 10 times higher than it is. those graphs might actually show that masks slow transmission if you actually had data to show what happens with no masks at all. you are making conclusions that you cannot make. but you dont care because you want it to fit your agenda. wait until a real comparison shows up then draw your conclusion. this is not it

Masks are a virtue signal.

It's another nail in the coffin for masks.

Go ahead and compare it to states where mask use is less prevalent. I'll wait. Report back with your findings.

Reactions: Crazyhole
We had a neighbor lady many moons ago who checked in at a svelte three fiddy (at least)...She hurt her back (shocking, I know) and went to the doctor trying to claim workers comp stating it happened at work..... my wife was an RN who worked for the doctor she went to see and the doc told her (direct quote) "You didn't hurt your back at work lifting something to heavy, you hurt your back because you're 200lbs over weight".....she was very upset at him and bitched about that doctor for years, to us, because of the connection to my ex......little did she know we laughed at her every time as soon as she was out of ear shot. But that's just such an accurate snap shot of so much of our society anymore.

its apparent to me - keep the youngsters away from the porkers and the olders. risks are significant.
that being said, nothing you can do about being old, but people need to back-off on the calories in this country - we’re huge.

The head of the CDC said that if 95% of the population were to wear masks in public, it would have app. the same efficacy as a Covid-19 vaccine. In addition, recent info suggests that wearing a mask can actually reduce the amount of virus the mask wearer is exposed to. That can cause fewer symptoms as a result of lesser exposure.

No one is saying that masks will completely eliminate transmissions. But masks, along with social distancing and hand washing do make a difference.
how convenient that you left off part of Rodgers's statement. You know the most important part where he talks about maintaining physical distance and hand washing....:rolleyes: Mask wearing alone will NOT have the same efficacy as a vaccine. Nice dishonest try there.

Last edited:
By all means, inform me.

I presume the "machine" you are referring to is a ventilator

survival in the largest RCT to date with patients on the "machine" that you claim almost guarantees death or that "you are done for"

was 70% in the treatment group and even 59% in the patients who didn't get the drug - both patient groups were on the "machine"

does a 60-70% percent chance of surviving on your "machine" sound like death is a "guarantee"

nejmoa2021436_f2.jpeg

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2021436

Last edited:
I presume the "machine" you are referring to is a ventilator

survival in the largest RCT to date with patients on the "machine" that you claim almost guarantees death or that "you are done for"

was 70% in the treatment group and even 59% in the patients who didn't get the drug

does a 60-70% percent chance of surviving on your "machine" sound like death is a "guarantee"

nejmoa2021436_f2.jpeg

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2021436
Are those numbers after the institution of Dexamethasone therapy?Winking Survival rates for COVID patients who get put on ventilators has improved dramatically since this thing hit New York City. Part of it no doubt is the lower number of patients with COVID that most ICUs are treating versus what New York City hospitals had to deal with. Just think how much less stress there would have been on New York City's ICUs IF Cuomo hadn't ended up causing tens of thousands of positive patients in nursing homes many of whom ended up on vents in ICUs.

Reactions: BigRedRising
Are those numbers after the institution of Dexamethasone therapy?Winking Survival rates for COVID patients who get put on ventilators has improved dramatically since this thing hit New York City. Part of it no doubt is the lower number of patients with COVID that most ICUs are treating versus what New York City hospitals had to deal with. Just think how much less stress there would have been on New York City's ICUs IF Cuomo hadn't ended up causing tens of thousands of positive patients in nursing homes many of whom ended up on vents in ICUs.

UK study - survival vent + dex --- 70% -- survival vent alone -- 59%

hardly a death sentence

400 pounders don't usually live a "long time". They die early from things like influenza, heart disease, diabetes, renal disease, stroke...and now COVID.
Those things take years to develop and kill you.. covid takes about 10-14 days.

For sure without the covid, the guy would likely live another day, another week, another year, maybe 5 years or 10.. or have lost weight by then and maybe he lives another 20 years.

Seriously, I can't see how you guys have managed to twist that one upside down.

UK study - survival vent + dex --- 70% survival vent alone -- 59%

hardly a death sentence
Initial numbers coming out of New York City's ICUs was nearly an 80% CFR for patients put on ventilators. I think you may have even shared the link that showed that. The point is that "death sentence" was virtually true in New York early on especially when you consider the long term ramifications of being placed on a vent due to COVID. As with most things concerning COVID, we've learned a bunch over the past 5 months and one of them is that we're trying very hard to keep from putting patients with COVID on vents.

Last edited:
Those things take years to develop and kill you.. covid takes about 10-14 days.

For sure without the covid, the guy would likely live another day, another week, another year, maybe 5 years or 10.. or have lost weight by then and maybe he lives another 20 years.

Seriously, I can't see how you guys have managed to twist that one upside down.
Even 400 pounders who lose weight dramatically still have a shortened life expectancy. People who are that large are asking to die young. I have an in-law who is 5'5" and weighs at least 350. She's experiencing heart failure and could tip over at any moment. She can't walk more than a few yards and it takes her forever to climb a flight of stairs then she has to sit and recover for half an hour. Yet IF she contracts COVID and dies, she'll be counted as a COVID death.

Initial numbers coming out of New York City's ICUs was nearly a 80% CFR for patients put on ventilators. I think you may have even shared the link that showed that. The point is that "death sentence" was virtually true in New York early on especially when you consider the long term ramifications of being placed on a vent due to COVID. As with most things concerning COVID, we've learned a bunch over the past 5 months and one of them is that we're trying very hard to keep from putting patients with COVID on vents.

ole crazyhole was popping off about the "machine" and guaranteed death sentence with his posts just today, the 23rd day of August, in the year of our Lord, 2020 ... so I presume he felt he was up to date ... I would certainly hope before someone makes a statement in reference to guaranteed death they might be at least a little bit informed

ole crazyhole was popping off about the "machine" and guaranteed death sentence with his posts just today, the 23rd day of August, in the year of our Lord, 2020 ... so I presume he felt he was up to date ... I would certainly hope before someone makes a statement in reference to guaranteed death they might be at least a little bit informed
It's kind of ironic considering I'm pretty sure you were the one that spread the fear of being put on a ventilator a few months ago. Evidently you were very persuasive.:Cool: Regardless of how much survival numbers have improved, it's still not something you want if you can avoid it.

It's kind of ironic considering I'm pretty sure you were the one that spread the fear of being put on a ventilator a few months ago. Evidently you were very persuasive.:Cool: Regardless of how much survival numbers have improved, it's still not something you want if you can avoid it.

that is true of almost every disease process

patients who are sick enough to require a ventilator have higher mortalities

that is what is called science .. if you go in for bypass surgery do you want the standard of care that was present in the first several months of performing the surgery or do you want what is current best evidence

Even 400 pounders who lose weight dramatically still have a shortened life expectancy. People who are that large are asking to die young. I have an in-law who is 5'5" and weighs at least 350. She's experiencing heart failure and could tip over at any moment. She can't walk more than a few yards and it takes her forever to climb a flight of stairs then she has to sit and recover for half an hour. Yet IF she contracts COVID and dies, she'll be counted as a COVID death.
if you die from covid, you should be counted as a covid death... what flipping planet are you from?

if you die from covid, you should be counted as a covid death... what flipping planet are you from?
If my in-law dies with COVID, it won't be just the COVID that kills her. She would probably do just fine if she didn't weigh 350. That's the point. Any number of things can kill somebody who is teetering that close to the edge and nobody would look at her IF she were to die with syncytial virus and say "Wow that virus really took her quick. What a surprise". They would say that being morbidly obese is what caused her demise. No doubt the death certificate would list heart failure or heart disease as her cause of death.

Reactions: Crazyhole
how convenient that you left off part of Rodgers's statement. You know the most important part where he talks about maintaining physical distance and hand washing....:rolleyes: Mask wearing alone will NOT have the same efficacy as a vaccine. Nice dishonest try there.
Hand washing and distancing are a given at this point, and are not argued about nearly as much as face coverings.

Apparently hyperbole is now a sin when discussing a virus with a .4% mortality rate. Talk about unexpected irony.

I'm cool with testing and recording deceased people for covid because it does give us a better accounting of the spread and an idea of who are most prone to die that contract it, but how the information is being interpreted is not a good representation of how deadly the virus is. Daily deaths tolls that people look at dont paint an accurate picture, but they are being used to push a narrative that is intended to invoke fear and a reactionary response.

Apparently hyperbole is now a sin when discussing a virus with a .4% mortality rate. Talk about unexpected irony.
Considering multiple statements from Fauci and the CDC that there are roughly 11x as many cases in the U.S. as have been confirmed by testing, that would make the CFR roughly .04%. I said months ago that this thing was going to end up with an actual CFR of less than .05%.

Hand washing and distancing are a given at this point, and are not argued about nearly as much as face coverings.
It was NOT a given in Dr. Rodgers's statement. Social distancing is probably the most important part of this thing. IF you wear a mask and get too close to someone you can still get COVID. IF you stay outside that 6 foot zone and limit your time near potential carriers you are very unlikely to get COVID. That should be pretty simple to understand.

Last edited:
Considering multiple statements from Fauci and the CDC that there are roughly 11x as many cases in the U.S. as have been confirmed by testing, that would make the CFR roughly .04%. I said months ago that this thing was going to end up with an actual CFR of less than .05%.
Accidentally deleted the 0. Yes, .04%.

If my in-law dies with COVID, it won't be just the COVID that kills her. She would probably do just fine if she didn't weigh 350. That's the point. Any number of things can kill somebody who is teetering that close to the edge and nobody would look at her IF she were to die with syncytial virus and say "Wow that virus really took her quick. What a surprise". They would say that being morbidly obese is what caused her demise. No doubt the death certificate would list heart failure or heart disease as her cause of death.
you guys just want to manipulate the numbers to say that there are basically no covid deaths, so you can argue to get out of this covid box we are all in.

I'm cool with testing and recording deceased people for covid because it does give us a better accounting of the spread and an idea of who are most prone to die that contract it, but how the information is being interpreted is not a good representation of how deadly the virus is. Daily deaths tolls that people look at dont paint an accurate picture, but they are being used to push a narrative that is intended to invoke fear and a reactionary response.
And like I just stated, You guys want to skew the numbers in a completely different direction.

If someone dies in a car wreck, that is not death by covid.

I'm pretty sure the hospitals can tell what takes a person out..

A heart attack, is likely not covid.

Somebody that is not getting enough O2 in their blood and on a vent who is covid positive who then dies, it's likely covid.

This is a straight forward thing.

Or at least I thought it was.

How you guys are manipulating it only creates more problems & confusion.

What bugs me the most about this whole thing is that it seems like there are a ton of people stuck in mid April when we knew basically nothing about the virus. Its no longer an unknown quantity. We have tons of data that has been gathered over the course of 8 months that can be put in to use for the purpose of gaining perspective (if nothing else). Its OK to start relaxing a little bit now and get back to real life before its not an option anymore.

And like I just stated, You guys want to skew the numbers in a completely different direction.

If someone dies in a car wreck, that is not death by covid.

I'm pretty sure the hospitals can tell what takes a person out..

A heart attack, is likely not covid.

Somebody that is not getting enough O2 in their blood and on a vent who is covid positive who then dies, it's likely covid.

This is a straight forward thing.

Or at least I thought it was.

How you guys are manipulating it only creates more problems & confusion.
"Likely covid"? Covid contributes to it, but its very unlikely that there is a single contributing factor that leads to someone having an 88, 89, 90% blood oxygen level short of having a birth defect. Its generally a culmination of things, mostly due to lifestyle. Covid might be the tipping point, but 50 years of a 2 pack a day smoking habit or weighing 400 pounds had a hell of a lot more to do with it.

It was NOT a given in Dr. Rodgers's statement. Social distancing is probably the most important part of this thing. IF you wear a mask and get too close to someone you can still get COVID. IF you stay outside that 6 foot zone and limit your time near potential carriers you are very unlikely to get COVID. That should be pretty simple to understand.
Let me rephrase----people haven't made hand washing and distancing a political issue like they have with face coverings. That's what I meant. My apologies for the lack of clarity.

"Likely covid"? Covid contributes to it, but its very unlikely that there is a single contributing factor that leads to someone having an 88, 89, 90% blood oxygen level short of having a birth defect. Its generally a culmination of things, mostly due to lifestyle. Covid might be the tipping point, but 50 years of a 2 pack a day smoking habit or weighing 400 pounds had a hell of a lot more to do with it.
if they are covid positive, yeah.. because that is what covid does. Have you even read anything about it? It attacks the ACE receptors in your lung's alveoli, which cause the oxygen exchange not to function as well, which causes the oxygen levels in the blood to go down.

There is a tracking setting in your iPhone now that tells you if you’ve likely been exposed to covid.

I’d be willing to bet this auto-install will not be reversed once the virus is under control.

seems just a tad bit invasive, but maybe that’s just me.

if they are covid positive, yeah.. because that is what covid does. Have you even read anything about it? It attacks the ACE receptors in your lung's alveoli, which cause the oxygen exchange not to function as well, which causes the oxygen levels in the blood to go down.
So do you sit around all day and night worrying about covid?

Reactions: bobbuttons
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT