ADVERTISEMENT

Lay-off/furlough notices today in AD’s office?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. So, you agree we can't compare the U.S. to any other country and say we lacked national leadership.
in general i would agree it would be very difficult to definitely explain specific outcomes by just the response alone. There are a lot of variables. It would be more reasonable to make assumptions if you actually tried to compare countries or states that had a lot in common instead of states like missouri and NY that are vastly different in a lot of ways. As far as leadership i think this virus would have been difficult for any president from any party. I'm not a fan at all of the way Trump decided to approach it by trying to make people feel safe and not ignite chaos if that was his reasoning. I much prefer telling people the truth and if you dont know the answers for sure then say you dont know the answers for sure. And i think a federal strategy would have worked a lot better than every state for itself. But i think no matter the initial strategy you take the outcome was going to be difficult. it was only the degree of badness that was to be affected.

Last edited:
in general i would agree it would be very difficult to definitely explain specific outcomes by just the response alone. There are a lot of variables. It would be more reasonable to make assumptions if you actually tried to compare countries or states that had a lot in common instead of states like missouri and NY that are vastly different in a lot of ways. As far as leadership i think this virus would have been difficult for any president from any party. I'm not a fan at all of the way Trump decided to approach it by trying to make people feel safe and not ignite chaos if that was his reasoning. I much prefer telling people the truth and if you dont know the answers for sure then say you dont know the answers for sure. And i think a federal strategy would have worked a lot better than every state for itself. But i think no matter the initial strategy you take the outcome was going to be difficult. it was only the degree of badness that was to be affected.

If you can't compare states because of the 1,000 different variables, then how can you have 1 strategy for every state when there are 1,000 different variables. That makes absolutely no sense.

If you can't compare states because of the 1,000 different variables, then how can you have 1 strategy for every state when there are 1,000 different variables. That makes absolutely no sense.

Although, I believe my already posted strategy would have been just as effective and would have minimized the economic damage and saved trillions of dollars.

Wash your hands
Cough into your shoulder/elbow.
Stay home when your sick.
Protect the elderly.

K.I.S.S.

That is all you need.

Here, I'll post this one.

The masks did exactly what they are supposed to do...kept the vapor close to the person breathing, instead of an unobstructed stream that spreads further from the person. Do you see the vapor getting further than just a foot or so from the person? Thanks for helping my argument.

BTW, the guy is breathing harder than a 500 lb. couch potato after he ran a 400 meter dash.

Last edited:
i dont know if 100% use of masks by everyone would reduce transmission to 0 or not. i do know that even with mask mandates many of the population are socializing in groups with no masks and only wearing them when they have to get into businesses. So do mask mandates in the real world eliminate the virus? No. They probably slow down the transmission. Would they be more effective if everyone wore them in all social settings instead of only when they enter a business. Probably so.
the mask mandate is probably only incrementally effective because they really are not followed very well. The situations where the virus is most easily passed from one another usually dont involve people not wearing masks. so it may not be the mandate that is the problem. it may be the lack of following the mandate. if you want to argue if people dont follow the mandate then its useless i guess thats probably true

The head of the CDC said that if 95% of the population were to wear masks in public, it would have app. the same efficacy as a Covid-19 vaccine. In addition, recent info suggests that wearing a mask can actually reduce the amount of virus the mask wearer is exposed to. That can cause fewer symptoms as a result of lesser exposure.

No one is saying that masks will completely eliminate transmissions. But masks, along with social distancing and hand washing do make a difference.

Reactions: regionsdoc
There are factories that are not producing because of a shortage of parts produced overseas (China). This is one reason there is a shortage of appliances. I volunteer at a Habitat Restore. We usually buy new appliances that have been damaged for resale. We can't get any new appliances because of the parts shortage. Political - Covid I'll let you make the call.
BS

Or, what if, no matter what mitigation steps you take, the outcome of the virus is the same? The only thing that you can change is how the policies you enact impact the people:

ie don't put 40 million people out of work.
ie don't financially incentivize hospitals to fill up with corona patients
etc. etc. etc.

Reactions: dinglefritz
The head of the CDC said that if 95% of the population were to wear masks in public, it would have app. the same efficacy as a Covid-19 vaccine. In addition, recent info suggests that wearing a mask can actually reduce the amount of virus the mask wearer is exposed to. That can cause fewer symptoms as a result of lesser exposure.

No one is saying that masks will completely eliminate transmissions. But masks, along with social distancing and hand washing do make a difference.

The head of the CDC flip flops and talks out both sides of his mouth so much only a moron would listen to him.

If masks worked don't you think they'd have done multiple studies by now showing their effectiveness? Each study confirming and further strengthening the science around masks? Why hasn't that happened?

Well that's certainly a lot of words. :Cool: I guess the reason why we have just 4% of the world's population and yet a quarter of the deaths in the world from Covid is because we must be just more prone than the rest of the world to contracting it and dying from it. :rolleyes:

This is false. But I'm not surprised that you'd try to push fake news to further your agenda. Typical.

Since we are talking silly. 175k dead and a massive economic overreaction. The economy is damaged because Americans are too lazy to adapt... Americans just want to shut their brain off, get paycheck and be taken care of. If Americans really cared they would support those businesses anyway, but that would require effort, planning and selflessness. So that puts us out... way to go lazy, fat Americans! U.S.A.!!!!
not all heroes wear capes. this one posts anonymously on the husker recruiting board.

Well that's certainly a lot of words. :Cool: I guess the reason why we have just 4% of the world's population and yet a quarter of the deaths in the world from Covid is because we must be just more prone than the rest of the world to contracting it and dying from it. :rolleyes:

I could post numerous trials that say that masks do reduce transmission, but instead I'll provide you with something where you can see it with your own eyes..

Finally, you’re right about something. The US and its world-leading obesity rate (COVID’s #1 comorbidity) was without question more prone to death via contraction.

does govt intervention make people lose 50lbs over night?

Last edited:
Finally, you’re right about something. The US and it’s world-leading obesity rate (COVID’s #1 comorbidity) was without question more prone to death via contraction.

The number one risk factors other than advanced age are obesity and diabetes. We're not talking about somebody carrying an extra 20-30 lbs here. We're talking more than 50 extra pounds. In many cases over 150 lbs extra. Of course that leads to more heart disease and diabetes. The only young people we've had die in my state have been obese women in their 30s with diabetes. I'll let you guess what government provided housing they lived in.

The number one risk factors other than advanced age are obesity and diabetes. We're not talking about somebody carrying an extra 20-30 lbs here. We're talking more than 50 extra pounds. In many cases over 150 lbs extra. Of course that leads to more heart disease and diabetes. The only young people we've had die in my state have been obese women in their 30s with diabetes. I'll let you guess what government provided housing they lived in.
Or what govt programs guided their food choices.

Finally, you’re right about something. The US and its world-leading obesity rate (COVID’s #1 comorbidity) was without question more prone to death via contraction.

If you don’t remove the masks you don’t eat... weight loss has to happen. Makes sense... :)

A family friend had a high fever that caused a seizure on Friday. They took him in and tested him which came back positive. Strangely, they are freaking out about the covid and not about the fact that he weighs almost 400 pounds. Not sure what you expect to happen when you put all of your vital organs under that much stress, but guaranteed if he dies, they'll blame covid.

So is covid that contagious? The way I see it that it’s not, simply by looking at these small towns. Hebron Ne had a small outbreak around the 4th of July. Now my thinking is if it that contagious wouldn’t the whole town of 1,700 have contacted it in a matter of days? I just trying to understand this. Wear mask don’t wear masks social distancing unless your a protester. At the beginning of all this it was only supposed to be two weeks, the daddy war bucks Fauci puts the crown on and declared himself leader. Like I mentioned to my wife if a person gets cancer and second guesses their dr what do they do? Get a second opinion. Where the hell is the second opinion on covid?

So is covid that contagious? The way I see it that it’s not, simply by looking at these small towns. Hebron Ne had a small outbreak around the 4th of July. Now my thinking is if it that contagious wouldn’t the whole town of 1,700 have contacted it in a matter of days? I just trying to understand this. Wear mask don’t wear masks social distancing unless your a protester. At the beginning of all this it was only supposed to be two weeks, the daddy war bucks Fauci puts the crown on and declared himself leader. Like I mentioned to my wife if a person gets cancer and second guesses their dr what do they do? Get a second opinion. Where the hell is the second opinion on covid?
There have been hundreds of 2nd opinions that are all on the same page but those are all immediately dismissed and the doctors are attacked personally. It started with the guys out in California and while they have been proven correct, they are still being smeared. The only guy who's opinion is valid is the guy that, after 8 months of focusing on this, still hasn't come up with anything other than "wear a mask". I swear, I think sometimes people actually just want to have something to be afraid of.

A family friend had a high fever that caused a seizure on Friday. They took him in and tested him which came back positive. Strangely, they are freaking out about the covid and not about the fact that he weighs almost 400 pounds. Not sure what you expect to happen when you put all of your vital organs under that much stress, but guaranteed if he dies, they'll blame covid.
as they should.. if he has covid and dies, then of course you blame it on covid. You can live for a long time being overweight. No it's not healthy, but it's not the direct cause of death if he has covid and dies.

how do you get this one turned upside down?

as they should.. if he has covid and dies, then of course you blame it on covid. You can live for a long time being overweight. No it's not healthy, but it's not the direct cause of death if he has covid and dies.

You can survive covid if you're healthy. Years of having an unhealthy lifestyle that puts your major organs under unnecessary stress has more to do with it than a virus does, if he dies.

There have been hundreds of 2nd opinions that are all on the same page but those are all immediately dismissed and the doctors are attacked personally. It started with the guys out in California and while they have been proven correct, they are still being smeared. The only guy who's opinion is valid is the guy that, after 8 months of focusing on this, still hasn't come up with anything other than "wear a mask". I swear, I think sometimes people actually just want to have something to be afraid of.

They have to create an enemy, constantly demonize that enemy, and preach to you how only they can save you from that enemy. It is the only thing they have in their playbook.

Or, what if, no matter what mitigation steps you take, the outcome of the virus is the same? The only thing that you can change is how the policies you enact impact the people:

ie don't put 40 million people out of work.
ie don't financially incentivize hospitals to fill up with corona patients
etc. etc. etc.

there is no evidence that the lockdown was worse for the economy than any other strategy. please share the published study on that. thanks

there are millions of second opinions in this country and across the world. the problem for you is those other opinions pretty much agree with those opinions you apparently dont like. the scientific and medical response to this pandemic is pretty consistent across medical experts and across countries. you dont hear other opinions because most of the experts all agree with each other.

The head of the CDC flip flops and talks out both sides of his mouth so much only a moron would listen to him.

If masks worked don't you think they'd have done multiple studies by now showing their effectiveness? Each study confirming and further strengthening the science around masks? Why hasn't that happened?

that only proves that the virus can continue to transmit in an open society who are encouraged to wear masks. It does not mean wearing masks is worthless because you do not have similar group of patients in the same geographic area that are not ever wearing masks. this twitter guy is making conclusions he cannot make. the data only shows that mask mandates haven't slowed transmission. it does not show they are worthless. without the mask mandate the transmission might be 10 times higher than it is. those graphs might actually show that masks slow transmission if you actually had data to show what happens with no masks at all. you are making conclusions that you cannot make. but you dont care because you want it to fit your agenda. wait until a real comparison shows up then draw your conclusion. this is not it

i didn't say 1 strategy for every state. i said a federal response. a federal response would be centralized and could very well coordinate different plans for different places. but it would help the states do this instead of creating total chaos

there are millions of second opinions in this country and across the world. the problem for you is those other opinions pretty much agree with those opinions you apparently dont like. the scientific and medical response to this pandemic is pretty consistent across medical experts and across countries. you dont hear other opinions because most of the experts all agree with each other.

“I am concerned people have become overly frightened and throughout this pandemic, the fear instilled in people has been a real problem.

“Many people misunderstand and overestimate their risk of Covid. This uncertainty is leaving them highly anxious and affecting schools, offices and how we go about our daily lives. The government needs to intervene to explain to people their true risks."

He said: "We now have more data which shows the disease is not as deadly as we first thought, and despite coming out of lockdown and the small increase in the detection of infections in certain areas we have not seen a corresponding increase in hospital admissions or critical care beds, or deaths.

"We have lost focus on the critical issue of the impact of the disease, and I don't understand why this is the case. It is becoming increasingly clear that lockdowns are harmful - during the lockdown; for instance, we saw an increase in non-covid deaths."

He said: "As a million children go back to school, and people start to go back to offices, we need to explain how the risks compare to other risks people may face in life.

“For Covid it's incredibly low. People need to understand this. Risk drives our behaviours, and if we don't understand them, then it gives rise to an overcautious - just in case - approach.

“Only if the impact of the disease worsens should we consider putting in local measures shown to slow down the spread of the disease.”

He said we need to learn to live alongside Covid-19 as we can no longer eliminate it. “We need to reorientate our thinking on how to live alongside it.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1326293/coronavirus-death-rate-UK-fatality-rate

Well of course we all have our own confirmation bias and that affects which opinions we agree with, but if we look at things objectively there is a level of common sense that has to enter the equation. Common sense would tell you that its basically impossible for there to be no treatment for this disease that has any level of efficacy so the preferred action is "go home and when your blood oxygen level drops to the point of causing permanent damage, come back and we'll put you on a machine that is an almost guaranteed death sentence". There are too many things like that which don't add up to believing the "approved" approach makes any sense at all.

The masks did exactly what they are supposed to do...kept the vapor close to the person breathing, instead of an unobstructed stream that spreads further from the person. Do you see the vapor getting further than just a foot or so from the person? Thanks for helping my argument.

BTW, the guy is breathing harder than a 500 lb. couch potato after he ran a 400 meter dash.

CDC straight up states that mask wearing doesn't matter.

Updated July 31, 2020

"Note: This is irrespective of whether the person with COVID-19 or the contact was wearing a mask or whether the contact was wearing respiratory personal protective equipment (PPE)"

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/php/public-health-recommendations.html

400 pounders don't usually live a "long time". They die early from things like influenza, heart disease, diabetes, renal disease, stroke...and now COVID.

Reactions: BigRedRising

Updated July 31, 2020

"Note: This is irrespective of whether the person with COVID-19 or the contact was wearing a mask or whether the contact was wearing respiratory personal protective equipment (PPE)"

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/php/public-health-recommendations.html

that statement is in reference to someone who is close contact (< 6 ft) for longer than 15 min of someone with symptoms and + COVID

the CDC recommends wearing a mask and social distancing as general preventative measure

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/prevention.html

Cover your mouth and nose with a mask when around others
  • You could spread COVID-19 to others even if you do not feel sick.
  • The mask is meant to protect other people in case you are infected.
  • Everyone should wear a mask in public settings and when around people who don’t live in your household, especially when other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain.
    • Masks should not be placed on young children under age 2, anyone who has trouble breathing, or is unconscious, incapacitated or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance.
  • Do NOT use a mask meant for a healthcare worker. Currently, surgical masks and N95 respirators are critical supplies that should be reserved for healthcare workers and other first responders.
  • Continue to keep about 6 feet between yourself and others. The mask is not a substitute for social distancing.

Updated July 31, 2020

Masks worn properly in medical settings do in fact work in conjunction with face shields and proper room ventilation. Masks also do in fact reduce transmission by reducing droplet spread. Estimates are at about a 20% reduction. That's not much but IF I'm the one out of 5 who don't get the virus when I would have otherwise, that matters to me because of my T-cell suppression. The cloth fashion ones I see people wearing are largely ineffective. Gators are a joke. All it does IMO is reassure that as I pass somebody in the store that they won't turn and yell at their kid and spray large chunks of spittle in my face. BTW, it doesn't appear to me that the rioters in Portland are worried about transmission when they put on their masks. It's purely to reduce efforts to identify them.

Reactions: Crazyhole

Updated July 31, 2020

That's not what the CDC is saying with that statement----they're saying that someone with that kind of exposure----whether they were wearing a mask at the time or not----needs to take the recommended precautions.

No one has ever said that face covers stop transmission--- they are recommended for mitigation.

Last edited:
there is no evidence that the lockdown was worse for the economy than any other strategy. please share the published study on that. thanks
LA's unemployment level at one point during their lockdown was about 50%. New York's I'm sure was similar. The last I saw, LA was still at 25% unemployment. My state with no lock downs has been near 10% but that was largely due to the disincentive to go back to work provided by the stimulus unemployment checks. There are signs up on plants all over my town trying to hire production workers. They're offering increased wages, benefits and flexible hours. You go on pushing your leftist propaganda.

Reactions: BigRedRising
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around all this. So now people are telling me that if they had a grandpa that died 2 years ago who was a borderline alcoholic, lifetime smoker, 40 lbs overweight but otherwise did normal grandpa things. That grandpa gets cancer, let's say pancreatic cancer, and dies. If someone asked what their grandpa died from they would say he was an overweight, chain smoking alcoholic and not blame it on the cancer? I call b.s. Newsflash. Their are all kinds of unhealthy people walking around that somehow defy death for many, many years. It's actually quite amazing.

who is saying this and what machine are you referring to?
Everybody thats saying there is no effective treatment because none of them have gone through the sacred "double blind test study" even though there is a mountain of anecdotal evidence to the contrary. Its silliness to test positive and be sent home with nothing more than "wait until you're really sick and come back" only to be put on a ventilator. At that point you're probably done for. Its irresponsible for a doctor to not prescribe some kind of treatment, even if it's just a broad spectrum antibiotic that might help avoid secondary infections, particularly in people that have comorbidities like obesity, kidney issues, COPD, or heart problems. Its like saying that the grease fire on your stovetop might not be a big deal, so don't even get the paper towels right next to it out of the way until your smoke detectors go off.

Everybody thats saying there is no effective treatment because none of them have gone through the sacred "double blind test study" even though there is a mountain of anecdotal evidence to the contrary. Its silliness to test positive and be sent home with nothing more than "wait until you're really sick and come back" only to be put on a ventilator. At that point you're probably done for. Its irresponsible for a doctor to not prescribe some kind of treatment, even if it's just a broad spectrum antibiotic that might help avoid secondary infections, particularly in people that have comorbidities like obesity, kidney issues, COPD, or heart problems. Its like saying that the grease fire on your stovetop might not be a big deal, so don't even get the paper towels right next to it out of the way until your smoke detectors go off.

wow are you ever misinformed

i didn't say 1 strategy for every state. i said a federal response. a federal response would be centralized and could very well coordinate different plans for different places. but it would help the states do this instead of creating total chaos
i-m-from-the-government-i-m-here-to-help.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT