ADVERTISEMENT

Lawyer getting involved, possibly...

Sadly, that's what its going to take. The players need to file a lawsuit.

Its really pretty easy. They can point out how arbitrary the decision is. In some states, there are high schools, some colleges and pro teams playing but the Big Ten schools can't. Makes no sense. The players file suit saying they are facing damages as this hurts their pro potential as they can't show themselves to get drafted, while others can. They say the risk is no greater to get COVID than it is to become paralyzed, get CTE, tear ligaments, etc. The players all assume the risks of those as well.

The Big Ten may fold like a cheap tent if that suit is filed. Or they just drop sports and the conference folds anyway.

Its really pretty easy. They can point out how arbitrary the decision is. In some states, there are high schools, some colleges and pro teams playing but the Big Ten schools can't. Makes no sense. The players file suit saying they are facing damages as this hurts their pro potential as they can't show themselves to get drafted, while others can. They say the risk is no greater to get COVID than it is to become paralyzed, get CTE, tear ligaments, etc. The players all assume the risks of those as well.

The Big Ten may fold like a cheap tent if that suit is filed. Or they just drop sports and the conference folds anyway.

I highly doubt and unlikely the B1G is going to fold up their tent on sports..

The B1G has pretty good lawyers to, and are not going to be intimated by that at all, if it even happens.

If one player said "I feel like this is a social justice issue, I feel like the people in power, the people with authority, are dismissing us, they are treating us like they have all the rights and we have none. I feel like they are not treating us as equals, have we not learned anything in the last 5 months?"

That the Big Ten would quickly have a season.

If one player said "I feel like this is a social justice issue, I feel like the people in power, the people with authority, are dismissing us, they are treating us like they have all the rights and we have none. I feel like they are not treating us as equals, have we not learned anything in the last 5 months?"

yep, throw the groupthink bs right back into their face

Reactions: BigRedRising

It really simple. All players have to do is say the BIG10 is being racist. Since the majority of athletes are black and they are being discriminated against by not letting them play. Throw some protests, riots, maybe attempt to break into and burn the B1G headquarters down and the BIG10 will be doing back flips to get the season to start.

Last edited:

This. The first rule in any lawsuit is having "standing". Every senior that is exhausting their eligibility this fall has standing to sue for damages and can cite precedent for the level of damages from a lost senior season. Considering the size of NFL contracts, that can lead to 10s of millions of dollars for any individual player. Players are promised 4 full seasons by the college per NCAA rules so unless they allow a deferment for conferences that don't play, this is a potentially huge lawsuit.

Reactions: nwualum

It’s clearly a racist move as the majority of players are black.

Dennis Dodd did an article on this a few days ago. As Mars pointed out in that article,when the players protested over the total liability waivers that's when conferences said wait a minute. Conferences didn't want the risk. Now it's back on the players and their families to decide if they want the waivers or play football. My opinion, is if Nebraska was going to play outside the conference, they would be a fool not to have waivers.

Dennis Dodd did an article on this a few days ago. As Mars pointed out in that article,when the players protested over the total liability waivers that's when conferences said wait a minute. Conferences didn't want the risk. Now it's back on the players and their families to decide if they want the waivers or play football. My opinion, is if Nebraska was going to play outside the conference, they would be a fool not to have waivers.

I was going to say "of course they are going to have waivers," but then I remembered that they also gave Callahan a contract that didn't have a mitigation clause to his buyout, so . . .

The B1G has pretty good lawyers to, and are not going to be intimated by that at all, if it even happens.
normally I would agree with you on this, but the B1G has a lot more to lose in regard to their public image.

It probably would not have been this way if Delany was still the commish, but having players getting a bad image of the conference overall is a bad move for all the schools.

Heck, they're going to get sued either way right? So maybe the right thinking on this is, better to make some money to pay for those lawsuits than trying to pay for ones with no income.

It really simple. All players have to do is say the BIG10 is being racist. Since the majority of athletes are black and they are being discriminated against by not letting them play. Throw some protests in there and the BIG10 will be doing back flips to get the season to start.
I didn't want to say it, I just wanted to hint at that...but it is 100% true.

Reactions: husker2612
This. The first rule in any lawsuit is having "standing". Every senior that is exhausting their eligibility this fall has standing to sue for damages and can cite precedent for the level of damages from a lost senior season. Considering the size of NFL contracts, that can lead to 10s of millions of dollars for any individual player. Players are promised 4 full seasons by the college per NCAA rules so unless they allow a deferment for conferences that don't play, this is a potentially huge lawsuit.
We all want to see the Huskers play, but I think you're reaching on this lawsuit thing.

1) Kids aren't "promised" 4 years to play football or any other sport. The NCAA grants 5 years to compete in 4 seasons, so long as said student-athlete meets eligibility requirements. They are not "promised" anything. If that was the case, then member institutions would be required to allow any student onto their teams.

2) According to the NCAA, there are 16,380 NCAA players that are draft-eligible in a given year. There are 254 draft picks in the NFL draft, which comes out to 1.6%. That's an awful lot of people that you seem to think are entitled to damages, despite not actually having a future in pro football. What are you going to use in deciding who does and doesn't get damages when there's no guarantee that any single player makes a living playing pro football? How can you say for certain that Justin Fields has an NFL career, but Joe Studmuffin, the Division II All-American at Northwest Missouri State, doesn't?

Only 11% of the draft eligible players from P5 conferences were drafted in 2019.

There are far more NCAA players that aren't playing this fall than there are that, as of now, still have their seasons.

3) If the others pull the plug, this will be a moot argument.

We all want to see the Huskers play, but I think you're reaching on this lawsuit thing.

1) Kids aren't "promised" 4 years to play football or any other sport. The NCAA grants 5 years to compete in 4 seasons, so long as said student-athlete meets eligibility requirements. They are not "promised" anything. If that was the case, then member institutions would be required to allow any student onto their teams.

2) According to the NCAA, there are 16,380 NCAA players that are draft-eligible in a given year. There are 254 draft picks in the NFL draft, which comes out to 1.6%. That's an awful lot of people that you seem to think are entitled to damages, despite not actually having a future in pro football. What are you going to use in deciding who does and doesn't get damages when there's no guarantee that any single player makes a living playing pro football? How can you say for certain that Justin Fields has an NFL career, but Joe Studmuffin, the Division II All-American at Northwest Missouri State, doesn't?

Only 11% of the draft eligible players from P5 conferences were drafted in 2019.

There are far more NCAA players that aren't playing this fall than there are that, as of now, still have their seasons.

They most certainly are promised 4 years worth of eligibility. The conditions of that are based on the player following certain requirements, which if they did are essentially holding up their end of the agreement.

It wouldn't take a whole lot of "expert witnesses" to be called to prove financial damages to the player that only received 3/4ths of the agreement from the other side. Easy citation: Joe Burrow. How much did he increase his earning potential by playing a 4th year?

They most certainly are promised 4 years worth of eligibility. The conditions of that are based on the player following certain requirements, which if they did are essentially holding up their end of the agreement.

It wouldn't take a whole lot of "expert witnesses" to be called to prove financial damages to the player that only received 3/4ths of the agreement from the other side. Easy citation: Joe Burrow. How much did he increase his earning potential by playing a 4th year?
But for all any of the experts or us simpletons know, Joe Burrow ends up a bust (which I think is possible), while the kid from a Division II school that was drafted #253 plays 7 or 8 years.

If a Danny Woodhead-type player was going to be a senior this year at a Chadron State-type school, how are you calculating the damages a guy like him (who went undrafted) deserves? The guy had a career twice as long as the NFL average. How do you justify a guy like Vernon Gholston (drafted #6 in 2008....started 5 games in 3 seasons with the Jets, and spent 5 weeks on 2 other teams in 2011 and 2012) getting millions in damages if he had been a senior at Sparty heading into this season?

In other words....on one hand, we have a beast of a DL from a major Division I program (all B1G as a junior), and, on the other, we have a 5-8 RB from a small Division II school in northwestern Nebraska (yes, Harlon Hill winner....but still, a 5-8 RB). Imagine this event occurring heading into the 2007 season.

1) Which one do you think would have received more in damages?
2) Based on the NFL careers these guys ended up having, which guy would've actually deserved more?
3) If they do this now, how are you going to judge who should and shouldn't be awarded damages?

Last edited:

Imagine if that one player was a gay black player?!?!?! Might have a season the next day.

My GOODNESS this entire post is rich, but especially the part I bolded and underlined Laughing

Dude, your hypothetical doesnt hold a candle to the difficulty suing because you caught the covid considering you cant prove where you caught the covid.
Between the two, I know which lawsuit holds more water. And so does everyone with a brain.

I seriously cannot believe you exist.

Reactions: Bugeater
But for all any of the experts or us simpletons know, Joe Burrow ends up a bust (which I think is possible), while the kid from a Division II school that was drafted #253 plays 7 or 8 years.

If a Danny Woodhead-type player was going to be a senior this year at a Chadron State-type school, how are you calculating the damages a guy like him (who went undrafted) deserves? The guy had a career twice as long as the NFL average. How do you justify a guy like Vernon Gholston (drafted #6 in 2008....started 5 games in 3 seasons with the Jets, and spent 5 weeks on 2 other teams in 2011 and 2012) getting millions in damages if he had been a senior at Sparty heading into this season?

In other words....on one hand, we have a beast of a DL from a major Division I program (all B1G as a junior), and, on the other, we have a 5-8 RB from a small Division II school in northwestern Nebraska (yes, Harlon Hill winner....but still, a 5-8 RB). Imagine this event occurring heading into the 2007 season.

1) Which one do you think would have received more in damages?
2) Based on the NFL careers these guys ended up having, which guy would've actually deserved more?
3) If they do this now, how are you going to judge who should and shouldn't be awarded damages?
RollingLaughRollingLaughRollingLaughRollingLaugh
Why cant you apply your same logic to covid lawsuits!?
Because you are incredibly and blatantly biased with an agenda.
Everything you say about this from here out has zero value. Not that people didnt already know that.

(P.s....Imagine being such a loser you spend hours each day on the message board of a team you dont like.)

My GOODNESS this entire post is rich, but especially the part I bolded and underlined Laughing

Dude, your hypothetical doesnt hold a candle to the difficulty suing because you caught the covid considering you cant prove where you caught the covid.
Between the two, I know which lawsuit holds more water. And so does everyone with a brain.

I seriously cannot believe you exist.
What does suing over catching COVID have to do with this? I never once mentioned that, nor did anyone else (at least no one I don't have on ignore) on this thread.

Youre too dense to put 2+2 together.
Seriously, you are exposed.
1) 3 replies to 2 posts of mine...and I'm the loser with nothing better to do? Okie dokie.

2) My long post had to do with people suing for damages from potential NFL earnings, or lack thereof because of no season. That's it. No one on this thread has mentioned suing for catching COVID except for you.

Maybe get a clue as to what the thread is actually about before you go calling people dense...OK, pumpkin?

1) 3 replies to 2 posts of mine...and I'm the loser with nothing better to do? Okie dokie.

2) My long post had to do with people suing for damages from potential NFL earnings, or lack thereof because of no season. That's it. No one on this thread has mentioned suing for catching COVID except for you.

Maybe get a clue as to what the thread is actually about before you go calling people dense...OK, pumpkin?

Going to point 2, if the lack of a season isn't due to Covid-19, what is it due to?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT