ADVERTISEMENT

Lawrence Phillips letters from jail

Wow...really sad. LP certainly is not an idiot with these well written letters...and where did the guy learn that penmanship?!? Just shows that something else is going on inside him.

Reactions: huskerdude88
Not only that, but it lends credence to those who are stating this may have been self defense, that he was a target of gang members.

I feel for the guy... It seems he knew he might get in trouble if he got the wrong cell mate.

even from prison LP could tell Bo was a wrong fit ...even comments about how they should be practicing

That practice reference was "glory days" talk. How can one even think of implying that anything specifically to do with Bo based on what he wrote here? Seriously...how? Was LP ever even present at any practice under Bo to form a real opinion?

Good on LP if he realizes his mistakes and trying to make good decisions (even if he's in a place that doesn't care).

GBR

That practice reference was "glory days" talk. How can one even think of implying that anything specifically to do with Bo based on what he wrote here? Seriously...how? Was LP ever even present at any practice under Bo to form a real opinion?

Good on LP if he realizes his mistakes and trying to make good decisions (even if he's in a place that doesn't care).

GBR

Because Bo was the Coach at the time he wrote that? The point is moot, because NOBODY will ever practice like those teams used to "practice". And by that I mean, on OR off the field, including but not limited to going under the stands as an entire OLine and DLine unit to fist-fighting each other out of sheer hatred and the need to "win".

If that is your ruler, really everything pales in comparison, does it not?

It would be interesting to know policies on placing inmates in cells with murderers and known gang members. Clearly he knew he was better off in a cell by himself. I thought from the beginning this could have been self defense in the murder alligations. What is heart warming are the coaches who are writing him. If a murder charge does not stick....I wonder how much time he still has to serve

Holy Crap! LP's writing is far more articulate than I would have ever imagined.

LP is actually a pretty smart guy. When he transferred to a different, supposedly much better HS after his sophomore year the counselor there sat him down and told him that his grades were right on the NCAA cut-off for getting a scholarship and that he needed to do better. But instead of just concentrating to improve his junior years grades, he took his entire sophomore course load over, as well as his junior year course load, which was allowed under CA HS rules. The student ends up with an official GPA for the academic year averaged from the two years. LP had (IIRC) a 3.3 GPA for the double course-load.

Just felt sorry for him when I read that the other day. He deserves the criticism heaped on him for everything else he's done prior to prison, but it sounds like he was being threatened by a gang member and doing everything he could to avoid being placed with said gang member.

ADVERTISEMENT