ADVERTISEMENT

Latest on Martinez?

But speaking of Martinez.... I think he should not play against Michigan unless he has returned to 100%. Not 95% or 90%. 100%. Why? Because, quite frankly, I don't think we can beat Michigan even with him in the game. If he is not100% Michigan's defense can really rough him up again and ruin his whole season. And, as I said, I think we lose even if he plays.

So just accept 0-3. Do our best with Bunch. I am not saying we just mail it in. Heck, miracles happen. But realistically, we lose this game. Just swallow our pride and say... ok, 0-3. But then we get Martinez back and other than Ohio State, we have games against opponents we have a chance to beat. A 7-5 or 6-6 season is thus not out of the question.

But speaking of Martinez.... I think he should not play against Michigan unless he has returned to 100%. Not 95% or 90%. 100%. Why? Because, quite frankly, I don't think we can beat Michigan even with him in the game. If he is not100% Michigan's defense can really rough him up again and ruin his whole season. And, as I said, I think we lose even if he plays.

So just accept 0-3. Do our best with Bunch. I am not saying we just mail it in. Heck, miracles happen. But realistically, we lose this game. Just swallow our pride and say... ok, 0-3. But then we get Martinez back and other than Ohio State, we have games against opponents we have a chance to beat. A 7-5 or 6-6 season is thus not out of the question.

I don’t think SF is going to rush him, I agree we will see him when he is 100% healthy and can stand the punishment and run without hesitation...

I’m just hoping it’s this week..

I don’t think SF is going to rush him, I agree we will see him when he is 100% healthy and can stand the punishment and run without hesitation...

I’m just hoping it’s this week..
A return this week would be ideal, if he is 100%. Because even though I think we will lose, we need, as a team, to get better every week and not get blown out. If we are at least competitive with Michigan on their home field that will boost our confidence going into the rest of the season. And if Martinez is healthy, he gets more experience if he plays Michigan. And who knows... with him at the helm, and if we play defense well, we have a chance. A small one.... but a chance.

But not if he isn't 100%. Sit him and get him ready for the rest of the schedule.

It’s not a fair comparison. Look, I’m not saying I expect to run on Michigan. I’m not. But Troy wouldn’t have dominated our oline if AM was playing. They crashed on the run game and dared us to throw. They couldn’t have done that with AM in the game and it would have opened up the run. Having a QB that can stretch a defense does wonders for an offensive line.

This ^^^^ All Day Long...
It would have been a different scheme for Troy's Defense night and day if AM had played.

It’s not a fair comparison. Look, I’m not saying I expect to run on Michigan. I’m not. But Troy wouldn’t have dominated our oline if AM was playing. They crashed on the run game and dared us to throw. They couldn’t have done that with AM in the game and it would have opened up the run. Having a QB that can stretch a defense does wonders for an offensive line.
That’s the question. Can Martinez carry a game w/his arm? We’re probably not going to win games against the upper echelon of the B1G with his legs, or Washington, or whatever committee we have.

For however long we’ve been in this conference, people can’t be so blind to realize how far the fall has been along the lines... have we?

It’s why games are lost, and why we make excuses- over and over and over- one like ‘the game against ______would’ve been different if TM, or TA, or TL, or AM would have played or been healthy’. We have not built a team to get our QB through a season. It’s easy to see the programs that have. Recruiting rankings will mean nothing next year, the year after and so on if we don’t get a better D front and an above average OLine.

Agree, we are one dimensional offense with Bunch..
I have only had time to review the first quarter today, but I'm not sure I agree with all the shade being thrown Bunch's way. First thing is he was going into the game without a lot of fall camp reps. Second, the Oline didn't do him any favors when he did pass and he was still 70%. Third, when the receivers got separation he hit them, it didn't appear they were getting all that open a lot of the time. And fourth, the game plan did not appear to include keeping the defense honest with mid-range throws, screens, etc. Frost admitted in his PC they had a plan (dominate the run game) that he didn't want to go away from. Granted, Bunch locked onto receivers and threw into coverage,but I don't consider his performance terrible. They should have just run their normal offense with him. I would even go as far as to say he may have been somewhat setup to look bad.

Yep. We need an offensive line. With or without Martinez we will lose to Michigan. No way our offensive line does a damn thing again that defense. If Troy's front seven could maul and manhandle our offensive line then just think what Michigan's will do

Thanks, but I'd rather not think about our OLine vs Michigan. Some things are just far to brutal to seriously consider.

all-is-well.jpg

I have only had time to review the first quarter today, but I'm not sure I agree with all the shade being thrown Bunch's way. First thing is he was going into the game without a lot of fall camp reps. Second, the Oline didn't do him any favors when he did pass and he was still 70%. Third, when the receivers got separation he hit them, it didn't appear they were getting all that open a lot of the time. And fourth, the game plan did not appear to include keeping the defense honest with mid-range throws, screens, etc. Frost admitted in his PC they had a plan (dominate the run game) that he didn't want to go away from. Granted, Bunch locked onto receivers and threw into coverage,but I don't consider his performance terrible. They should have just run their normal offense with him. I would even go as far as to say he may have been somewhat setup to look bad.
The only pass Bunch was able to make was to the sideline, and it's easy to get a high completion percentage but still not accomplish anything on offense. It's the same offense Arizona State runs and why they suck so bad every year even though people think they have good qb's. The fact is Bunch can't run this offense. It's way too risky for him just to even make a downfield throw. He makes bad decisions and rolls out right into the defenders. Ryker Fyfe is 10× the qb Bunch is.

Reactions: scarletred
The only pass Bunch was able to make was to the sideline, and it's easy to get a high completion percentage but still not accomplish anything on offense. It's the same offense Arizona State runs and why they suck so bad every year even though people think they have good qb's. The fact is Bunch can't run this offense. It's way too risky for him just to even make a downfield throw. He makes bad decisions and rolls out right into the defenders. Ryker Fyfe is 10× the qb Bunch is.

Wrong...Bunch threw very well down the field...against colorado and troy. His line was absolutely terrible in drop back situations...and he stood strong on multiple situations. We once again had drops, fumbles after completions, and wrs not fighting defenders for the ball. His first INT was a poor decision but was on the money and the defender beat our guy 1 v 1. HIs 2nd pick occurred because the wr ran the wrong route and was in the same position as the TE...the WR reached up and tipped it to the defense. The TE just looked at the coaches and shrugged cuz it was a missed route. I know it is convenient to blame Bunchy because we can replace him easily but he was a bright spot...the oline, lbs, wrs played really poor, and those are some of our more experienced positions...coincidence? I think not.

I don’t either. I think Bunch will be the guy. If we clean up the penalties and turnovers we’ll have a chance.
cant even beat troy at home, yet you think we have a chance against Michigan at Ann Arbor in a big 10 opener? I want what youre smoking

I think Frost will keep AM out one more week

No need to shatter the kid physically and emotionally at Michigan

Andrew Bunch. The kid is a freshman walk-on. He played reasonably well in the moment. Yes a couple pics.

We lost b/c penalties and unforced errors

I think Frost will keep AM out one more week

No need to shatter the kid physically and emotionally at Michigan

Andrew Bunch. The kid is a freshman walk-on. He played reasonably well in the moment. Yes a couple pics.

We lost b/c penalties and unforced errors

Bunch is a Sophomore walk-on.

Reactions: timnsun
@oldjar07 are you going to just take this comment?

What happened to all the talk about Bunch being the best QB in the spring game, and Bunch really being 2nd team but they just wanted to keep Gebbia in the fold. Can you set @scarletred straight please.
Did you hear, Tuco? Bunch is a 3-star. Three stars, Tuco. THREE OF THEM.

I didn't come here to shit on Andrew Bunch, but you guys who act like he's a fully legit P5 starting quarterback leave me no choice. Stop it and stop it as soon as you possibly can. It's like Groundhog Day with this team and this board. People pour their lives into talking up some walk-on QB like he's gonna lead us all the way because the staff doesn't rip on him to the press when he's forced to start.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Bunch wasn't the main reason we lost. Martinez was probably worth a TD and a narrow win, but it's clear the problems are clearly more than Bunch. Maybe we win if Bunch was allowed a better chance to make some passes that were not horizontal in nature.

Reactions: frostonthegrass
Bunch wasn't the main reason we lost. Martinez was probably worth a TD and a narrow win, but it's clear the problems are clearly more than Bunch. Maybe we win if Bunch was allowed a better chance to make some passes that were not horizontal in nature.

The offense was scaled back because there was a back up walk on QB starting. So, indirectly, Bunch is the reason we lost.

The offense was scaled back because there was a back up walk on QB starting. So, indirectly, Bunch is the reason we lost.
The question is how many points Martinez was worth in that game. I'd say conservatively a TD. The fubar punt return D and the D not being able to get a third down stop when it counted and then the blown assignment(s) on Troy's TD run right up the middle of the D was worth 14 points.
So what would have been a relatively comfortable win turned into a narrow loss. The team is not good enough to get out of its own way. Martinez give the team some cushion and Bunch does not.

The question is how many points Martinez was worth in that game. I'd say conservatively a TD. The fubar punt return D and the D not being able to get a third down stop when it counted and then the blown assignment(s) on Troy's TD run right up the middle of the D was worth 14 points.
So what would have been a relatively comfortable win turned into a narrow loss. The team is not good enough to get out of its own way. Martinez give the team some cushion and Bunch does not.

Tough to say. Once again when you change the outcome of the first play, it changes the outcome of the next play and so on and so on.

Reactions: saluno22
I watched a 12 minute version of the game on YouTube and saw Bunch throw two horrendous picks, like "why would you try to throw to him in the first place" horrendous. Saw a handful of other plays where he needs to get the ball out in the face of that pass rush and just doesn't do it. Takes sacks going backwards.

Especially rolling right and nothing is open, man you gotta sail that piggy into the 5th row.

Did he lose it by himself? No, he didn't. But he didn't do anything to really win it that I saw either. Kid is what he is, pretty good for a walk-on.

Listening to the analysis of how Troy just stunted and blitzed certain looks every time suggests to me that the guys just can't execute the adjustment. There's no way the staff doesn't see that happening and know how to counter it. I think these guys only know so much offense and it looks like opposing DCs know about as much offense as they do.

We saw a lot of that with Langsdorf. "Oooh I can see where that was a perfect play to call in that situation. Too bad the guys can't run it."

You guys must have been watching a different game than I was. It's not even comparable what the outcome of the game would have been if we had Martinez instead of Bunch. Just having Martinez in the backfield would have opened our offense up tremendously and with much better decision making and the ability to actually pass it down field, Troy would have been a completely different game. With a healthy Martinez, we would have blown out Troy by at least 3 touchdowns.

You guys must have been watching a different game than I was. It's not even comparable what the outcome of the game would have been if we had Martinez instead of Bunch. Just having Martinez in the backfield would have opened our offense up tremendously and with much better decision making and the ability to actually pass it down field, Troy would have been a completely different game. With a healthy Martinez, we would have blown out Troy by at least 3 touchdowns.

I think that's probably quite correct. A real-deal dual threat qb is a major stress to any opponent's DC. I most desperately hope AM is ready to go Saturday. Sure, we still have a marginal (at best) OLine but our defense is doing fairly well & Michigan's offense is hardly overwhelming.

If AM can start, we have a real chance of winning.

I will not be content until the coaching staff details AM's diagnosis, subsequent check-ups, and plan of treatment in a press conference and then posts it on the Husker's website.
I'd like martinez's doctors to call me during lunch break at work, daily for updates

Reactions: timnsun
Any chance he plays this Saturday?

I don't know why Frost won't be more forthcoming on injuries. Obviously it drives fans like us crazy. However, I don't see how it helps the rest of the team to have the constant questions, wondering if your qb might play, suiting him up without any intention of playing him, etc.

The advantage you might get from the other team wondering which qb will play is negligible in my opinion. Just be honest and don't let the issue hang on.
I will not let him play this Saturday if our offensive line isn't ready to protect him!

I think that's probably quite correct. A real-deal dual threat qb is a major stress to any opponent's DC. I most desperately hope AM is ready to go Saturday. Sure, we still have a marginal (at best) OLine but our defense is doing fairly well & Michigan's offense is hardly overwhelming.

If AM can start, we have a real chance of winning.
we have no shot of winning even if AM starts sadly. Dont sleep on michigans offense, I watched they last game. When Harbaugh opened up the playbook in the second half they were scoring with ease. They have weapons on that offense. Especially Donovan-Peoples Jones. If we couldn't beat colorodo in a home opener then a big 10 opener at Michigan is doubtful to come out

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT