ADVERTISEMENT

Late Summer " Spring Game"

husker2612

Recruiting Coordinator
Nov 29, 2010
Could this happen? What if this all starts winding down in the next couple months. Since schools missed all of spring ball. Could the NCAA allow a longer fall camp. Maybe instead of starting in Aug then are aloud to start in say, June. Then could they maybe have a "spring game" towards the end or in the end of this longer stretch.
As a fan I would much rather seeing a finished product play vs in the spring a half ass practice game.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Could this happen? What if this all starts winding down in the next couple months. Since schools missed all of spring ball. Could the NCAA allow a longer fall camp. Maybe instead of starting in Aug then are aloud to start in say, June. Then could they maybe have a "spring game" towards the end or in the end of this longer stretch.
As a fan I would much rather seeing a finished product play vs in the spring a half ass practice game.
Depends on practice. We can deem any practice a 'game'

Brian Kelly drew a line in the sand that said we'd need to have full authorization to by July 4th to have a normal season start. And even that was probably too highly compressing strength and conditioning run up to fall camp.

I would imagine that given no political consideration coaches around the country will use every bit of their 45 ish calendar days to prep the team rather than prep for a glorified peep show. They love the fans right but they still will be fired if they dont have the performance on the field... shortened timeline or not.

That said...it's a scrimmage and Frost could more or less sell tickets to the final scrimmage and call it a spring game and have it be successful.

Edit...then there's the ever present vanilla fight. Traditionally there's a war about how basic things are from a playbook perspective. If Frost's get an extremely limited run up time does he want to waste a day late in prep to hand out balloons and run vanilla plays.

If we get up and going for a compressed practice schedule.... I would rather have the coaches get full practices in behind the curtain and work on the plays we actually plan to run rather than go vanilla for a public showing for the fans.

Reactions: leodisflowers
If we get up and going for a compressed practice schedule.... I would rather have the coaches get full practices in behind the curtain and work on the plays we actually plan to run rather than go vanilla for a public showing for the fans.
But, vanilla will be more of a theme this year. Hiding things are different than reading things.
If we want to power it down their throats, there'll be no hiding, however, if they line up, or tip their hat to gain numbers ,more in the box for example, things can change quickly pre snap.

So, I don't think it's our common plays that will be hidden, and a vanilla game will be what we will mostly see on staurdays.
It's when those defenses shift to this, we can hide that, and still put on a good game, it's what they do anyways.
Remember, no defensive blitzing etc?

ADVERTISEMENT