ADVERTISEMENT

Lardarious Webb—DB Comitts to NU

His dad, Lardarius Sr., was a versatile athlete. Played two seasons at Southern Miss ('05-'06) as a DB before transferring to Nicholls State ('07-'08). In his first season there, the coaches decided to have him play QB and DB since he had been an option QB in high school.

He is the only player in NCAA Division I history to receive the conference awards of Offensive Player of the Week, Defensive Player of the Week and Special Teams Player of the Week in a single season. He was also a 1st Team All-American at the FCS level.

He parlayed all of that into a 9-year NFL career with the Ravens. Let's hope the apple didn't fall too far from the tree.

His dad, Lardarius Sr., was a versatile athlete. Played two seasons at Southern Miss ('05-'06) as a DB before transferring to Nicholls State ('07-'08). In his first season there, the coaches decided to have him play QB and DB since he had been an option QB in high school.

He is the only player in NCAA Division I history to receive the conference awards of Offensive Player of the Week, Defensive Player of the Week and Special Teams Player of the Week in a single season. He was also a 1st Team All-American at the FCS level.

He parlayed all of that into a 9-year NFL career with the Ravens. Let's hope the apple didn't fall too far from the tree.
Lardarious. Junior.

Ch2jnmX.gif

Great post. Papa kind of pioneered what we think of now as a true slot corner in the NFL. Terrific player.

Any chance Fish and this kids Dad are friends from the NFL? Does that overlap at all?

Right you are. See #2 below from Nate Clouse's takes:

1. Defensive coordinator Erik Chinander and defensive backs coach Travis Fisher did an excellent job of evaluating and being the first to offer an under the radar prospect in Webb Jr. Chinander found him in Alabama before he transferred to Mississippi and Fisher helped to seal the deal along with Chinander and head coach Scott Frost.

2. Fisher's NFL background came into play once again for Webb Jr. However, this time it wasn't simply because Fisher played in the NFL for nine seasons. Fisher actually played with Webb Jr.'s father, Lardarius Webb Sr. while in Baltimore with the Ravens.

3. If we've learned anything about Fisher it's that he operates in the quiet and knows exactly what he's looking for in a defensive back. A lot of schools and coaches were waiting until they could see Webb Jr. in person before offering and he really was not on the recruiting radar until about a week ago. Fisher didn't have to see any more though as he's confident in his ability to evaluate and knew he wanted to lock Webb Jr. up as soon as possible.

4. At 5-foot-10, 170-pounds, Webb Jr. isn't the biggest defensive back you've ever seen. While he may not be a 6-foot-1 giant, Webb Jr. can run with the best of them and plays much bigger with just how physical he is. If you're a smaller corner that's going to play for Fisher you've got to be able to run and hit. Webb Jr. can definitely do that.

5. We know that Fisher really likes versatile defensive backs. Players that can excel at corner, nickle and/or safety that way he can get all of his best players in the secondary one the field at the same time. Webb Jr. shows the ability to play all over in the back end of the defense and be a playmaker in doing so.

6. Webb Jr. is a twitchy athlete. He is very sudden and can cover extremely well. He has great hips, feet and overall technique. I also really like how dedicated Webb Jr. is to perfecting his craft. He made the move to Mississippi so he could be raised and coached by his father who play in the NFL for nine years and won a Super Bowl. So not only does Webb Jr. have great genes to begin with, but he also is getting taught by someone who has played at the highest level every single day.

7. Even though Webb Jr. is now living in Mississippi with his father, he's originally from Alabama which has sudden become a state where the Huskers have snagged some really, really talented prospects from. That trend should continue.

did I say end of the week? went from UNR to 3-star in less than 90mins post-commitment

good perspective for rankings and the way they're happened upon, I suppose
Trying to figure out what that tells me about the rating system.

Some people wont like this. I do. I would like to see a couple kids like this every class. Under the radar from talent rich areas. But they need to be great athletes, which it appears this kid is. Find a lightly recruited small town qb and move him to wr or qb.

Apparently the coaches see something in him that others don’t...

Hopefully he’s a true diamond in the rough player for us![/QUOTE]

Or possibly these coaches see something in him that others haven't. Could possibly be overlooked as opposed to evaluated and not liked.

Apparently the coaches see something in him that others don’t...

Hopefully he’s a true diamond in the rough player for us!
Diamond in the rough players are a great for feel good stories, but they don't happen often. I would feel much better if Frost was pulling in 4 star guys with 20+ offers. I love the positive attitude and optimism many of you show towards these type of commits . I wish I could as well, but all I can think of with these type of commits is, taking up a scholarship spot to sit the bench 4 years. In today's day and age uber talented guys just to go "under the radar" . His only offer is from Southern Miss, there is probably a reason for that.
I hope he blows up this year year, get tons of offers, turns into a 4 star and becomes a contributing starter for the Huskers. I really do hope I have to eat my words on him 3 or 4 years from now, but if I had to place money on it I doubt he even sniffs playing time at Neb and probably transfers out to play at Southern miss by year 2.
I know Im sounding like a little bitch. Im just tired of this lower level, Iowa type recruiting thing we got going on. Then I look at recruiting rankings and see a basketball school like North Carolina, who killing it in recruiting year 2 under Brown. We have to do better in recruiting.

Reactions: Oldie but goodie
Diamond in the rough players are a great for feel good stories, but they don't happen often. I would feel much better if Frost was pulling in 4 star guys with 20+ offers. I love the positive attitude and optimism many of you show towards these type of commits . I wish I could as well, but all I can think of with these type of commits is, taking up a scholarship spot to sit the bench 4 years. In today's day and age uber talented guys just to go "under the radar" . His only offer is from Southern Miss, there is probably a reason for that.
I hope he blows up this year year, get tons of offers, turns into a 4 star and becomes a contributing starter for the Huskers. I really do hope I have to eat my words on him 3 or 4 years from now, but if I had to place money on it I doubt he even sniffs playing time at Neb and probably transfers out to play at Southern miss by year 2.
I know Im sounding like a little bitch. Im just tired of this lower level, Iowa type recruiting thing we got going on. Then I look at recruiting rankings and see a basketball school like North Carolina, who killing it in recruiting year 2 under Brown. We have to do better in recruiting.

I feel the same way, but we have to start winning 8 games a year or more before that becomes easier. Right now, I trust Fisher as a recruiter and developer of talent and hope this kid turns out to be good. Honestly, he's stocked the DB room with enough talent and a mix of "we'll see" guys that I'm pretty confident our secondary is going to be just fine for years. The success of the team does not hinge on having this kid turn into his father, but if he does, hey, kick ass!

I feel the same way, but we have to start winning 8 games a year or more before that becomes easier. Right now, I trust Fisher as a recruiter and developer of talent and hope this kid turns out to be good. Honestly, he's stocked the DB room with enough talent and a mix of "we'll see" guys that I'm pretty confident our secondary is going to be just fine for years. The success of the team does not hinge on having this kid turn into his father, but if he does, hey, kick ass!
I know at that is what I have to realize. Winning will fix recruiting. It just takes a season or 2 of winning and recruits will be knocking down the door.

Let's hope he is much better than Bootle
This, this kid is smooth, normally I've been one to bitch about stars but when it comes to Fish its best not to question him. Lardarius will end up high 3 low 4 star if there's a high school football season.

ADVERTISEMENT