ADVERTISEMENT

Lane Kiffin

I agree he is doing well, but he's also at Liberty. If he were such a hot commodity why is his name not on any list when big schools are going through change? You run the risk of players and parents not buying what he is selling after his issues. I think he's a pretty good coach, but his personality and affinity for not telling the truth hurt him.

Huskers just had a coach per all accounts abused his power and that is exactly what Freeze did at Ole Miss. He thought he was above it all. That he could do anything he wanted to do (There were lots of rumors of cheating, too). I see no reason why the Huskers would want a take a gamble on another coach who has been involved in a scandal?

Huskers just had a coach per all accounts abused his power and that is exactly what Freeze did at Ole Miss. He thought he was above it all. That he could do anything he wanted to do (There were lots of rumors of cheating, too). I see no reason why the Huskers would want a take a gamble on another coach who has been involved in a scandal?
We just went through that, and if any of it comes to light, I bet Frost has similar treatment to Freeze. I just don't see any way Freeze gets hired.

I agree he is doing well, but he's also at Liberty. If he were such a hot commodity why is his name not on any list when big schools are going through change? You run the risk of players and parents not buying what he is selling after his issues. I think he's a pretty good coach, but his personality and affinity for not telling the truth hurt him.
So one point is that he is coaching at a Christian school, and parents are still sending their little darlings there to be coached by Hugh Freeze, so there is hope for even Hugh right?

I think you would be hard pressed to find a 17 to 22 year old player, especially nowadays, that would care so much about him paying players. And in any case you won't find enough to make a difference.

Some parents might care, but again I don't think there are as many as you think to make a sea change negative impact on recruiting.

This is a non issue today whereas it might have been back when you were younger. You've got to think 2022 and beyond. The game of ameture football is gon. Welcome to the semi pros

Reactions: BleedRed78
So one point is that he is coaching at a Christian school, and parents are still sending their little darlings there to be coached by Hugh Freeze, so there is hope for even Hugh right?

I think you would be hard pressed to find a 17 to 22 year old player, especially nowadays, that would care so much about him paying players. And in any case you won't find enough to make a difference.

Some parents might care, but again I don't think there are as many as you think to make a sea change negative impact on recruiting.

This is a non issue today whereas it might have been back when you were younger. You've got to think 2022 and beyond. The game of ameture football is gon. Welcome to the semi pros
So Hugh Freeze is the answer? Like I said, he is basically on no lists. You could be right, but there is a reason he isn't getting any publicity right now. There are many many other candidates I would risk it on than Freeze.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
He went 8-5, 10-2, 7-6, 3-2 (28-15) at USC, so it's not like he was a complete disaster there and he has obviously grown as a coach since then. I would put him near the top of my wishlist of perspective coaches.
Hmm that's an interesting perspective.

Reactions: bshirt73
Man, we have to stop thinking things like, banging or cheating is some huge ****ing scandal.

The starting QB is not at the LOS reading the defense and all of a sudden thinking "Man, coach really let down his wife when he ****ed that other girl...I wonder if he will let me down too..."

So Hugh Freeze is the answer? Like I said, he is basically on no lists. You could be right, but there is a reason he isn't getting any publicity right now. There are many many other candidates I would risk it on than Freeze.
Yes I think he'd be a high percentage chance of success type of hire. After all the question to the answer is how does Nebraska put winning back into it's tradition. It is not how to find the next virginal Boy Scout wunderkind.

I'd give him a chance to prove himself a winner at Nebraska after all he's done it everywhere else. Nebraska didn't get to where they are hiring spotless lambs.

Devaney was married yet rumors abound of his imbibing and womanizing.

Osborne hid guns.

Solich rumored to be banging college coeds

Pelini staff rumored to be banging a players wife.

Frost...who knows exactly what. It's not sounding promising though.

Good luck finding touchdown Jesus leading from the sidelines at Memorial.

Yes I think he'd be a high percentage chance of success type of hire. After all the question to the answer is how does Nebraska put winning back into it's tradition. It is not how to find the next virginal Boy Scout wunderkind.

I'd give him a chance to prove himself a winner at Nebraska after all he's done it everywhere else. Nebraska didn't get to where they are hiring spotless lambs.

Osborne hid guns.

Osborne hid guns? What is that all about? That one slipped by me.

Osborne hid guns.

I’m not looking for Jesus. I want Urban, and he has way more baggage. Freeze is just not my answer. I don’t love the guy. Not that hard. I want a guaranteed winner, Freeze isn’t that.

Osborne hid guns? What is that all about? That one slipped by me.
"Osborne’s detractors also point out that two other Nebraska players, Riley Washington and Tyrone Williams, remain on the team despite having felony charges still pending against them. Washington, a reserve junior wingback, was charged with attempted second-degree murder after an altercation with a Lincoln man last summer.

Based on interviews he personally conducted with those involved, Osborne has publicly stated his belief that Washington is innocent. Williams, a senior who is a two-time All-Big Eight defensive back, was charged with firing a gun into a moving car two years ago. (Osborne was accused of having an assistant coach lock the gun in a safe for two days, but another of Osborne’s assistants said they were doing that on the advice of the campus police chief.)"

Now don't get me wrong. I'm a fan of Tom Osborne. I think what he was doing with Philips was admirable considering. But other people have different opinions. My opinion on Freeze is that what he did isn't, to me a ban for life type of thing. Now rape, murder, child abuse... yeah those are

Reactions: Wasker77
I still like the idea of Art Briles. He can coach and would kill it here. Save some bucks also.

"Osborne’s detractors also point out that two other Nebraska players, Riley Washington and Tyrone Williams, remain on the team despite having felony charges still pending against them. Washington, a reserve junior wingback, was charged with attempted second-degree murder after an altercation with a Lincoln man last summer.

Based on interviews he personally conducted with those involved, Osborne has publicly stated his belief that Washington is innocent. Williams, a senior who is a two-time All-Big Eight defensive back, was charged with firing a gun into a moving car two years ago. (Osborne was accused of having an assistant coach lock the gun in a safe for two days, but another of Osborne’s assistants said they were doing that on the advice of the campus police chief.)"

Now don't get me wrong. I'm a fan of Tom Osborne. I think what he was doing with Philips was admirable considering. But other people have different opinions. My opinion on Freeze is that what he did isn't, to me a ban for life type of thing. Now rape, murder, child abuse... yeah those are
I forgot about Tyrone. Wasn’t he leaving a party thrown by the NU baseball players when he fired off the gun. I believe he was in a taxicab. Who does that?

Beat Mark Stoops today. I wonder how the crowd was?

I don’t know. Things change and perhaps Lane is a really good coach now. Ole Miss is winning in the toughest division and conference in the country.

But I’ll remain skeptical of a guy who couldn’t win at USC with all their talent and resources. Same thing for Tom Herman at Texas and Dan Mullen at Florida. If you can’t win at those places with their built in recruiting advantages and near-unlimited money and resources I just don’t see how they would be successful at Nebraska which has unique challenges, particularly in recruiting, those other schools don’t.
Lane was young and immature when he was at USC. He went thru coaching rehab at Alabama and has since been successful at Florida Atlantic and Ole Miss.

posted in another thread as well

what is very - very interesting from reading is that a Mississippi law prohibits a public employee from signing a contract longer than 4 years

so at any one time the most guaranteed money he has is 30 million

8mill x 8 years would more than double his guaranteed money

hot damn -- I still don't think he would come but they can't offer him more than 4 years - although I suspect a loophole would quickly be created if he was seriously considering leaving

"Kiffin will make $7.25 million in 2022 and receive a $100,000 raise every year through the contract's expiration in 2025. Mississippi law prohibits a public employee from signing a contract longer than four years."

Kiffin contract

Last edited:
source.gif

Husker nation if we get Lane....

Would be one of the biggest shockers ever. His path to the playoffs would be easier year in, year out at Nebraska.
agree ... we can easily more than double his current contract value without having to pay much more in annual salary
his buyout may be limited as well given he can only have a max 4 year contract

unless Miss law changes or a loophole is created if someone offers him 8million per year for 8 years -- Mississippi would have to counter with an annual salary of 16 million dollars to match the guaranteed money

Last edited:
Alimony is a bitch.....

yes ..

"The leaving of his job and sparing money for alimony left him in financial crisis for a while then. In an interview with Pete Thamel, he spoke about this saying “I pay about 52% of my income in taxes. Layla will receive 34.5 percent of the divorce settlement, while Jimmy Sexton (Lane’s agent) will receive 3%. I make around 9% and live in Tuscaloosa.”

yes ..

"The leaving of his job and sparing money for alimony left him in financial crisis for a while then. In an interview with Pete Thamel, he spoke about this saying “I pay about 52% of my income in taxes. Layla will receive 34.5 percent of the divorce settlement, while Jimmy Sexton (Lane’s agent) will receive 3%. I make around 9% and live in Tuscaloosa.”
Totally reasonable that his ex would get that much. Makes total sense!

Divorce/Custody settlements are draconian.

yes ..

The more I read this the more I laugh at it for so many different reasons.

ADVERTISEMENT