ADVERTISEMENT

Lane Kiffin ... Hugh Freeze

SLOHusker

Senior
Aug 7, 2001
A few seasons ago nobody wanted anything to do with Lane Kiffin. Every negative word was said about him. Now LSU fans want him and if they strike out on the MSU coach don't be surprised if he gets a big deal. We could have gotten Kiffin a few years ago and it's hard for me to think he wouldn't be better than what we are dealing with now.
Which brings the question to Hugh Freeze. Similar damaged goods situation. Actually worse. I'm not sure the guy's success at Ole Miss was purely the result of coaching, but in the INL world that stuff doesn't matter much. But the guy was a longtime coach and has had success everywhere he's been. So if we end up without a coach at year's end should it make sense to rule this guy out instead of giving him a new chance?

A few seasons ago nobody wanted anything to do with Lane Kiffin. Every negative word was said about him. Now LSU fans want him and if they strike out on the MSU coach don't be surprised if he gets a big deal. We could have gotten Kiffin a few years ago and it's hard for me to think he wouldn't be better than what we are dealing with now.
Which brings the question to Hugh Freeze. Similar damaged goods situation. Actually worse. I'm not sure the guy's success at Ole Miss was purely the result of coaching, but in the INL world that stuff doesn't matter much. But the guy was a longtime coach and has had success everywhere he's been. So if we end up without a coach at year's end should it make sense to rule this guy out instead of giving him a new chance?
I dealt with him up close. Nebraska does not want him. The end

I dealt with him up close. Nebraska does not want him. The end
He certainly seems to have some issues. I don't think he would be a good fit at NU. I would rather have an up and comer with Zac Taylor's people skills than Lane. JMO. Somebody like Jeff Traylor at UTSA would be a better hire than Lane IMO.

As AD for the day I think you can take a shot at the guy who has had winning records at the head coaching position everywhere he's been.

Be that Freeze or another coach who is out there with the same penchant for creating winning programs.

...or you can take the fantasy shot, it's that simple.

Freeze would be a home-run hire. probably wouldn't sit well with the boomers here that prioritize "being a nice guy" over winning games.

Kiffin's not coming here, and if he ever did, he would've used us like a stepping stone.

which brings me to something interesting about the radical "fire Frost" crowd. their reality begins at thinking he hasn't shown enough improvement at a dumpster fire program, but stops just short of the reality that Nebraska isn't going to poach a proven P5 coach, let alone one from the SEC. hell, Mark Stoops probably turns his nose up at this point.

Freeze would be a home-run hire. probably wouldn't sit well with the boomers here that prioritize "being a nice guy" over winning games.

Kiffin's not coming here, and if he ever did, he would've used us like a stepping stone.

which brings me to something interesting about the radical "fire Frost" crowd. their reality begins at thinking he hasn't shown enough improvement at a dumpster fire program, but stops just short of the reality that Nebraska isn't going to poach a proven P5 coach, let alone one from the SEC. hell, Mark Stoops probably turns his nose up at this point.
there's a difference between how dr. tom and bo dealt with NU fans.
dr. tom would say he's grateful for them in general, but then might look at a individual one as if they are a loon.
bo on the other hand...I know it was in private...but that might be worse..as far as intent.

I think frost does a good job keeping things balanced as far at that.because really at the end of the day the football team would look silly playing in a empty stadium, and the fans would look silly in a full stadium with no team. so there got to be balance.

I think bo got better talent then frost to start...not that I have any problem with current players, but I haven't seen a suh yet. but I think bo did a better job with special teams...both have decent defenses, but both had struggle offenses..

Reactions: glaciersx
there's a difference between how dr. tom and bo dealt with NU fans.
dr. tom would say he's grateful for them in general, but then might look at a individual one as if they are a loon.
bo on the other hand...I know it was in private...but that might be worse..as far as intent.

I think frost does a good job keeping things balanced as far at that.because really at the end of the day the football team would look silly playing in a empty stadium, and the fans would look silly in a full stadium with no team. so there got to be balance.

I think bo got better talent then frost to start...not that I have any problem with current players, but I haven't seen a suh yet. but I think bo did a better job with special teams...both have decent defenses, but both had struggle offenses..
CFB may never see another Suh. i firmly believe he is the best to ever do it at the position.

Reactions: redwine65
As AD for the day I think you can take a shot at the guy who has had winning records at the head coaching position everywhere he's been.

Be that Freeze or another coach who is out there with the same penchant for creating winning programs.

...or you can take the fantasy shot, it's that simple.
Hugh would be a great hire and the nerds that think he is a bad guy have their head in the sand about all the shit that TO and the staff let go on in the 90's and swept under the rug.

Hugh would be a great hire and the nerds that think he is a bad guy have their head in the sand about all the shit that TO and the staff let go on in the 90's and swept under the rug.
I would hire Freeze in a heartbeat if he would look me in the eye and tell me that he is done calling lot lizards with the university cell phone I'd give him a chance. He should of just used a burner.... And who really knows if he wasn't ordering the girls for the recruits...that's a possibility 🤔

But that is in the past and maybe he has changed. I doubt he's calling up girls at Liberty, and his record there is stellar.

The man just wins.

Edit: I'm not gonna bash on Tom. He was probably as good of a coach all around as we are ever going to see at Nebraska.

Reactions: SuperBigFan
Lane has himself a stud at QB. Not trying to dismiss what he's done down there but it may be similar to what Frost had with Milton.

I like Lane, too

The program badly needs to start winning or it's going to be incredibly difficult to get recruits or any coaches worth a darn to come. If we went back in time 4 years ago nobody here wanted Kiffin but he was definitely hirable at that time. Now he nor most other coaches on the upward trajectory will give us a look. I'm not saying I would have hired Kiffin over Frost 4 years ago, but the attitude toward him was negative to the point that he wasn't a consideration. His success in the interim vs Frost is undeniable.
Right now if NU wanted to get Freeze it would be an easy hire at low cost. I'm not sold on the guy but I don't want to continue to pass up guys that have some past issues that could turn the program around in big ways.
Another guy that nobody wanted a few years ago is Sarkisian. His USC tenure was a train wreck and he was an alcoholic. Alabama brought him in as an assistant and now he's HC at Texas.

Another guy that nobody wanted a few years ago is Sarkisian. His USC tenure was a train wreck and he was an alcoholic. Alabama brought him in as an assistant and now he's HC at Texas.
I still wouldn't trade Frost for Sarkisian.

constantly surrounded by 5* talent and still underachieves.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I was calling for us to hire lane kiffin in 2017.

I would hire Freeze in a heartbeat if he would look me in the eye and tell me that he is done calling lot lizards with the university cell phone I'd give him a chance. He should of just used a burner.... And who really knows if he wasn't ordering the girls for the recruits...that's a possibility 🤔

But that is in the past and maybe he has changed. I doubt he's calling up girls at Liberty, and his record there is stellar.

The man just wins.

Edit: I'm not gonna bash on Tom. He was probably as good of a coach all around as we are ever going to see at Nebraska.
use his personal phone.

Mike Riley was the nicest coach in Nebraska football histoey.

A 7-4 coach at Liberty who had a shady past at Ole Miss is a home run hire. All I can say is “Wow”.

A 7-4 coach at Liberty who had a shady past at Ole Miss is a home run hire. All I can say is “Wow”.

Freeze is the only active coach to have beaten Nick Saban in back-to-back years. He had Ole Miss, who is sandwiched between Rutgers and Cincinnati for all time wins, routinely in the top 10 and rarely out of the top 25. his winning percentage in the SEC alone is better than Matt Campbell, Dave Aranda, and probably whatever other milquetoast candidates you boomers like to float.

Furthermore, Liberty was an FCS school the year before Hugh Freeze took over, so i'm not bothered that he lost a couple games to ranked P5 schools when he's made a bowl game every year since. the only explanation for how they went from a middling FCS team to a winning G5 team is that they finally hired a legit coach.

so no offense, but your interpretation of his career is pretty stupid.

Reactions: Sinomatic
He has also been fired multiple times and just left a job after 1 year. Perhaps the most overrated coach in CF history
he was fired from a dysfunctional Raiders team because he opposed the drafting of JaMarcus Russell, and has since been vindicated since Russell turned out to be one of the worst draft busts of all time.

He then took over a heavily sanctioned USC, proceeded to never have a losing season, then was fired so they could hire a drunk whose team will soon be getting blown by Kiffin's in the USC. They've been great since he left!

Save for Tennessee, he's won 10 or more games at every college gig he's had. you don't accomplish that by being a "terrible coach" as you said. Nobody is saying he's the next Nick Saban, but you're lying if you say you wouldn't love to have the success Ole Miss is having with him.

i feel like half this board watches nothing except old 90s highlights and our weekly heartbreak special.

Hugh Freeze.

You want a proven head coach ripe in position to just be plucked from a bowed branch by some big time program thirsty to win?

Drop your purse and hire Freeze.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT