ADVERTISEMENT

Lane Kiffin = Bo Pelini?

Kiffin lost by 25 as recent as 10 days ago against a now ranked opponent.

Personally, I'm not going to make a distinction between losing by 3 scores vs losing by 4+ scores. 3 scores is the line where it becomes a borderline blowout and evidence the team was outmatched.
Happens when you roll,the dice as many times as he does in a game…That’s my only beef against the guy but he knows offensive football running and passing..

Reactions: BleedRed78
Lane Kiffin has been a hot name lately, so it got me thinking. What's his signature win? How does he fair against ranked opponents? Is he even better than Pelini was?

Here's a look at his games against ranked teams:

Tennessee
[COLOR=%s]#1 Florida: 13-23
#1 Alabama: 10-12
#21 South Carolina: 31-13
#12 Virginia Tech: 14-37[/COLOR]

USC
[COLOR=%s]#16 Stanford: 35-37
#1 Oregon: 32-53
#18 Arizona: 24-21
#4 Stanford: 22-43
#4 Oregon: 38-35
#21 Stanford: 14-21
#2 Oregon: 51-62
#17 UCLA: 28-38
#1 Notre Dame: 13-22[/COLOR]

FAU
[COLOR=%s]#9 Wisconsin: 14-31
#7 Oklahoma: 14-63
#16 UCF: 36-56
#5 Ohio State: 21-45
#18 UCF: 14-48[/COLOR]

OLE MISS
[COLOR=%s]#5 Florida: 35-51
#1 Alabama: 48-63
#11 Indiana: 26-20
#1 Alabama: 21-42
#16 Arkansas: 52-51
#18 Auburn: 20-31
#11 Texas A&M: 29-19[/COLOR] (this A&M team finished unranked at 8-4)
[COLOR=%s]#7 Baylor: 7-21
#7 Kentucky: 22:19[/COLOR] (this Kentucky team is currently unranked and 5th in the SEC East)
[COLOR=%s]* LSU: 20-45[/COLOR] (LSU was unranked when the game occurred, but are currently #15)

so here's where we are when comparing the two:
Bo PeliniLane Kiffin
Overall Record100-55 (0.645)84-42 (0.666)
Record Against Ranked Opponents8-17 (0.32)7-21 (0.25)
Bowl Game Record4-3 (0.571)2-3 (0.4)

The LSU game 10 days ago felt like a major indictment on Lane Kiffin, in part because it reminded me of Nebraska's 2014 game against Wisconsin (yes, the Melvin Gordon one). Like Nebraska, Ole Miss jumped out to an early lead against a team they very well should've beat, but were outscored 42-6 in the final 3 quarters. Out-coached and physically dominated for the majority of the game.

Something in my gut tells me Kiffin is the better coach, maybe it's the eye test or simply the magnification of emotions from watching your own team get crushed. But why? Kiffin is going to win a lot of the games on his schedule, but he seems to rest on the bottom of the 2nd tier of coaches (Saban/Kirby/Meyer/Petersen being tier 1, Lincoln Riley/Brian Kelly/Aranda/Gundy/etc being tier 2) in that there isn't really a body of evidence to suggest he's going to consistently compete for Conference Championships or do well against the titans of the conference.

It is easy to say "I would love to have Pelini's success right now" because its true for almost all of us. I think the feeling of always being on the outside looking in against top opponents would quickly return if we were to achieve that level again. Beating the Marylands and Rutgers, then getting stomped by the Wisconsin's and Ohio States.

What do y'all think?
I love the time you took to do this…. Food for thought!!!

Reactions: thall_
He underachieved at USC

went the rehab route to try to better himself

OC at Alabama then took a lower coaching job at FAU to and now is 23-9 at Ole Miss after going 5-5 his first year (an improvement over the record he inherited)

coaches can evolve and improve

His offense can be pass or run heavy based on personnel. They lead the nation in rushing among power 5 schools this year

Pelini on the other hand went to Youngstown and LSU and flopped

He underachieved at USC

went the rehab route to try to better himself

OC at Alabama then took a lower coaching job at FAU to and now is 23-9 at Ole Miss after going 5-5 his first year (an improvement over the record he inherited)

coaches can evolve and improve

His offense can be pass or run heavy based on personnel. They lead the nation in rushing among power 5 schools this year

Pelini on the other hand went to Youngstown and LSU and flopped
unfortunately, Kiffin's best win (#4 Oregon) was 11 years ago. his winning % hasn't deviated much anywhere

Reactions: bshirt73
Lane Kiffin has been a hot name lately, so it got me thinking. What's his signature win? How does he fair against ranked opponents? Is he even better than Pelini was?

Here's a look at his games against ranked teams:

Tennessee
[COLOR=%s]#1 Florida: 13-23
#1 Alabama: 10-12
#21 South Carolina: 31-13
#12 Virginia Tech: 14-37[/COLOR]

USC
[COLOR=%s]#16 Stanford: 35-37
#1 Oregon: 32-53
#18 Arizona: 24-21
#4 Stanford: 22-43
#4 Oregon: 38-35
#21 Stanford: 14-21
#2 Oregon: 51-62
#17 UCLA: 28-38
#1 Notre Dame: 13-22[/COLOR]

FAU
[COLOR=%s]#9 Wisconsin: 14-31
#7 Oklahoma: 14-63
#16 UCF: 36-56
#5 Ohio State: 21-45
#18 UCF: 14-48[/COLOR]

OLE MISS
[COLOR=%s]#5 Florida: 35-51
#1 Alabama: 48-63
#11 Indiana: 26-20
#1 Alabama: 21-42
#16 Arkansas: 52-51
#18 Auburn: 20-31
#11 Texas A&M: 29-19[/COLOR] (this A&M team finished unranked at 8-4)
[COLOR=%s]#7 Baylor: 7-21
#7 Kentucky: 22:19[/COLOR] (this Kentucky team is currently unranked and 5th in the SEC East)
[COLOR=%s]* LSU: 20-45[/COLOR] (LSU was unranked when the game occurred, but are currently #15)

so here's where we are when comparing the two:
Bo PeliniLane Kiffin
Overall Record100-55 (0.645)84-42 (0.666)
Record Against Ranked Opponents8-17 (0.32)7-21 (0.25)
Bowl Game Record4-3 (0.571)2-3 (0.4)

The LSU game 10 days ago felt like a major indictment on Lane Kiffin, in part because it reminded me of Nebraska's 2014 game against Wisconsin (yes, the Melvin Gordon one). Like Nebraska, Ole Miss jumped out to an early lead against a team they very well should've beat, but were outscored 42-6 in the final 3 quarters. Out-coached and physically dominated for the majority of the game.

Something in my gut tells me Kiffin is the better coach, maybe it's the eye test or simply the magnification of emotions from watching your own team get crushed. But why? Kiffin is going to win a lot of the games on his schedule, but he seems to rest on the bottom of the 2nd tier of coaches (Saban/Kirby/Meyer/Petersen being tier 1, Lincoln Riley/Brian Kelly/Aranda/Gundy/etc being tier 2) in that there isn't really a body of evidence to suggest he's going to consistently compete for Conference Championships or do well against the titans of the conference.

It is easy to say "I would love to have Pelini's success right now" because its true for almost all of us. I think the feeling of always being on the outside looking in against top opponents would quickly return if we were to achieve that level again. Beating the Marylands and Rutgers, then getting stomped by the Wisconsin's and Ohio States.

What do y'all think?
Well we can do better than another "Bo Pelini" - his wins were OK but so much verbal baggage. That said I'm at the point where I'd settle for anyone that wins after the horrible last few years. Believe we can do better though with a decent coach who can win.

Well we can do better than another "Bo Pelini" - his wins were OK but so much verbal baggage. .
that was the least of my concerns with Pelini, and being pissy that a coach was profane is a naive mentality that proves you've never been in a locker room

unfortunately, Kiffin's best win (#4 Oregon) was 11 years ago. his winning % hasn't deviated much anywhere
Who knows if kiffin would win here, but I see all those games against SEC teams you have listed and realize that most years the only team better than any of them in the BIG is OSU - and there are none in the west

last years and likely this years Ole Miss team would be 11-1 or 10-2 this year playing for a conf title in the BIG

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedRed78
Who knows if kiffin would win here, but I see all those games against SEC teams you have listed and realize that most years the only team better than any of them in the BIG is OSU - and there are none in the west

last years and likely this years Ole Miss team would be 11-1 or 10-2 this year playing for a conf title
has he ever beaten a team as good as this years illinois?

he's 0-3 against Harbaugh, and Kiffin had the talent advantage.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr.Scary13
Never understood the love for lane by the cfb world.

Id rather have mickey, easily.
Why Would you rather have Mickey? Just because he Is a Nebraska guy? Gotta be a reason more than that you just don’t like Kiff? Because Mickey has pulled a couple of recruits, which all P5 schools do…..and Nebraska should do more of? Just trying to understand this thought process. Being okay with Mickey as a head coach is an absolute disaster waiting to happen. 5 more years of purgatory.

• Love
Reactions: mgbreis
Why Would you rather have Mickey? Just because he Is a Nebraska guy? Gotta be a reason more than that you just don’t like Kiff? Because Mickey has pulled a couple of recruits, which all P5 schools do…..and Nebraska should do more of? Just trying to understand this thought process. Being okay with Mickey as a head coach is an absolute disaster waiting to happen. 5 more years of purgatory.
Because Mickey can recruit. I also like his no nonsense approach. I believe hes a good man. He also wants to get back to the run game. I also do not inderstand the obsession with lane. This is by far his best year, he imploded at two other stops. He hasnt earned it either, no different than mickey.
Im not “on the mickey train” as I posted in another thread. But I would rather hire him than lane.

that was the least of my concerns with Pelini, and being pissy that a coach was profane is a naive mentality that proves you've never been in a locker room
When you take it to the level Bo did it becomes a problem. When your head coach’s over the top profane rants cost you 15 yards and thwarts a game ending go ahead drive, it’s a problem that had to be addressed. Medication helped for a few weeks ..,,,,,

Lane is still coaching, correct? What’s Bo up to these days? Still living off unearned wages, and trying to sell bar supplies?
74e7a039007a43018810c4a4277613fd_400x400.jpeg

Reactions: dinglefritz
Yeah, I have no idea what a good number would be.
Bo sucked at recruiting because he didn't like recruiting. How he did not cash in (recruiting-wise) off of Callahan's recruits I will never understand. I figured he'd have 5-star recruits lining up after Suh, Nakamura and that 2009 season. Nope.

Reactions: Minn1954
Bo sucked at recruiting because he didn't like recruiting. How he did not cash in (recruiting-wise) off of Callahan's recruits I will never understand. I figured he'd have 5-star recruits lining up after Suh, Nakamura and that 2009 season. Nope.
He did in hindsight land a few future NFL DTs. The Davis twins and Maliek Collins. The other fat boy who the Patriots drafted got a cup of coffee.

He did in hindsight land a few future NFL DTs. The Davis twins and Maliek Collins. The other fat boy who the Patriots drafted got a cup of coffee.
Valentine? Man, I forgot about him.

I think Collins still plays, but I am not sure.

has he ever beaten a team as good as this years illinois?
Yes - every win you listed is better than Illinois along with multiple wins against unranked teams

you need to watch a little (a lot) more college football and expand your horizons beyond the big ten west

Illinois - 😂

Yes - every win you listed is better than Illinois along with multiple wins against unranked teams

you need to watch a little (a lot) more college football and expand your horizons beyond the big ten west

Illinois - 😂
projection, you haven’t watched enough football to know that Kentucky is now at the bottom of the SEC 😂

projection, you haven’t watched enough football to know that Kentucky is now at the bottom of the SEC 😂
Please refresh my memory where I mentioned or inferred anything regarding the 2022 Kentucky Wildcats?

anything else you need help with?
thank you for the correction -

Kentucky would kick the shit out of Illinois and would walk away with the big ten west this year

you are forgetting that when 2 shitty big ten teams play - someone is going to get a w and end up with an inflated record

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: thall_
thank you for the correction -

Kentucky would kick the shit out of Illinois and would walk away with the big ten west this year

you are forgetting that when 2 shitty big ten teams play - someone is going to get a w and end up with an inflated record
Lmao no

Kentucky struggled to beat Northern Illinois. Illinois is no worldbeater but they’d dog walk Kentucky this year

Lmao no

Kentucky struggled to beat Northern Illinois. Illinois is no worldbeater but they’d dog walk Kentucky this year
Kentucky is 6-3 with 2 wins over ranked teams

Illinois has lost to 3-5 Indiana and a 3-5 Michigan state

none of the teams Kentucky lost to have losing records

Kentucky is 6-3 with 2 wins over ranked teams

Illinois has lost to 3-5 Indiana and a 3-5 Michigan state

none of the teams Kentucky lost to have losing records
Illinois is 7-2.

nobody that Kentucky has beaten is ranked right now.

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
Hmmmm guess my 67-27 record with 9/10 win seasons was not good enough.

No, no it wasn’t. 0 conference championships, 0 major bowl games, 0 appearances in the playoffs, 0 seasons where you were in the discussion for the championship. 4 of 7 seasons you finished in the rankings. Those were seasons 2-5, those rankings were 14, 20, 24, and 25. See the trend there, by season 6 the pollsters had seen enough, they knew your 9 win seasons were garbage. Any team with a pulse could have won those 9, then get boat raced in the game against real teams. Finished out of the rankings in the last 2 seasons.

No, no it wasn’t. 0 conference championships, 0 major bowl games, 0 appearances in the playoffs, 0 seasons where you were in the discussion for the championship. 4 of 7 seasons you finished in the rankings. Those were seasons 2-5, those rankings were 14, 20, 24, and 25. See the trend there, by season 6 the pollsters had seen enough, they knew your 9 win seasons were garbage. Any team with a pulse could have won those 9, then get boat raced in the game against real teams. Finished out of the rankings in the last 2 seasons.
You forgot the whale trophy...

well this didn't age well. Vanderbilt?

anyways, little bit of Kiffin's shine starting to wear off now that the L's are coming in with their ranked opponents. Today was certainly not an awful loss like the blowout to LSU, but this was one of the more beatable Alabama teams in recent memory. it's really starting to feel like one of those Bo Pelini teams where we would start out hot, then cringe at the scheduled Wisconsin/Ohio State beatdowns coming at the end of the year.

Klieman would probably dogwalk Kiffin's team. hope to see them in a bowl against each other this year to compare.

A lot of Husker fans could not handle Lane.

He calls out the fans
He flirts with other jobs
Those wouldn’t be the worse problem is how many times he goes for it on 4th down..

That being Said I would be very happy if it’s him leading us out of this 8 year dumpster fire..

Reactions: headcard
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT