ADVERTISEMENT

Lamar Jackson?

I don't think he's hurt, but he hasn't gotten much PT lately. We've been using A. Williams at the Nickel and Reed at the Dime.

I think bigger question is who is coming off the field? Aaron William is playing lights out, kalu is solid, and chris jones is shutdown right now. Keiron Williams has really come on this year also. I think its just a numbers game right now, but I would like to see him get some extensive PT. Hopefully Purdue allows that to happen.

Reactions: GeauxBigRed
Special teams.

Lamar had made a lot of mistakes in the non-conferemce games. From my outside point of view, the game needs to slow down for him. This Saturday could be a big opportunity for that to happen, at least I hope so.

Reactions: SOHusker11
I think bigger question is who is coming off the field? Aaron William is playing lights out, kalu is solid, and chris jones is shutdown right now. Keiron Williams has really come on this year also. I think its just a numbers game right now, but I would like to see him get some extensive PT. Hopefully Purdue allows that to happen.

Props to the secondary too. They really answered the dinner bell this year. Sometimes it's hard to believe that's the same unit we trotted out last year. Really thought Lamar would be a starter by now.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
He played against Indiana

Yes he played. In fact he not only played special teams snaps he played defensive snaps as well. On the fake reverse that number 34 for Indiana scored on Jackson was on the field as he followed him into the end zone.

holla

Props to the secondary too. They really answered the dinner bell this year. Sometimes it's hard to believe that's the same unit we trotted out last year. Really thought Lamar would be a starter by now.

Lol... Its NOT the SAME UNIT.

- Chris Jones replaced Daniel Davie full time be week 6.
- Kalu was primarily a Nickel and replaced Jon Rose full time by November.. although Rose played a lot down the stretch.
- Kieron Williams didn't play at all.
- Aaron Williams was a true freshmen who didn't play much nickel.
- Nate Gerry listened to the negativity around him for about two months and didn't totally grasp the scheme until November.

Its a TALENTED unit.

- Chris Jones and Nate Gerry are NFL players RIGHT NOW.
- Kalu is a bigger and more athletic version of Ciante Evans
- Aaron Williams is an Eric Haag type athlete who can play all over the defense and cover up the slot.

- But the biggest key is the development of Kieron Williams. I doubt even the coaches saw that coming. He's a good athlete, but probably a future coach because he's so instinctual and understands opposing offenses, scheming, and his role at the back end.

One thing I note about all those backs is that they're all Bo's secondary recruits. One thing I liked about Bo's recruiting is that he generally found instinctive defensive backs. Seems like the new staff is going more for classic measurables. Not sure we'll get guys in the future like Kalu or A. Williams. Stewart (plus Banker) will need to do a good job of teaching the new players.
Not saying measurables are bad. Will be good to have big, fast defensive backs. Instincts are nice, too.

One thing I note about all those backs is that they're all Bo's secondary recruits. One thing I liked about Bo's recruiting is that he generally found instinctive defensive backs. Seems like the new staff is going more for classic measurables. Not sure we'll get guys in the future like Kalu or A. Williams. Stewart (plus Banker) will need to do a good job of teaching the new players.
Not saying measurables are bad. Will be good to have big, fast defensive backs. Instincts are nice, too.
:oops:Lamar Jackson says hello.......he's going to be special and BTW the guys that struggled last year were Bo's recruits. Even a blind pig can find an acorn now and then. You hit on some and you miss on others.

Lol... Its NOT the SAME UNIT.

- Chris Jones replaced Daniel Davie full time be week 6.
- Kalu was primarily a Nickel and replaced Jon Rose full time by November.. although Rose played a lot down the stretch.
- Kieron Williams didn't play at all.
- Aaron Williams was a true freshmen who didn't play much nickel.
- Nate Gerry listened to the negativity around him for about two months and didn't totally grasp the scheme until November.

Ok so It was basically the same unit that were playing last year.

Point stands after watching the secondary as a whole last year, I wouldnt have believed that we wouldn't be able to afford taking one of those guys out to make room for a borderline 5 star recruit. I'd be willing to bet the coaches wouldn't have thought that either.

Nobody saw Chris Jones coming this year. You couldn't bet on Nate Gerry to fully buy in over the off season. Kieron Williams was unproven to say the least.

The point of the post was giving credit to those guys.

Lol

No kidding. This is from people in my office the last year.

2015:
Our DB's are getting torched, this staff sucks.

2016:
Our DB's are good, Pelini knew how to recruit those positions.

Literally, you can't make this stuff up. No credit whatsoever to the players for getting better after their sophomore year & no credit to the staff for making coaching changes. It's all because Pelini knew how to recruit DB's, although around 50% of his signees didn't pan out; which is believed to be standard in the recruiting world.

Right around 50%, which is what some claim is the average percentage for recruiting. No?

not sure on the percentage. I think more important is how good your hits are. We played real good pass defense about every year. I'm sure some of that was scheme to stop the pass, but you still have to get the players to run it and that was not a problem under Bo.

i don't know what this same as last year stuff is either. Same as maybe the last part of the year when you had Jones and Kalu getting into the lineup and were just getting their feet wet. They've basically gotten better with each game and that is a credit to them and the staff.

Reactions: StrongArm517
not sure on the percentage. I think more important is how good your hits are. We played real good pass defense about every year. I'm sure some of that was scheme to stop the pass, but you still have to get the players to run it and that was not a problem under Bo.

He hit at a rate that is standard, that's the point of my response. Yes, his pass defensive scheme was dang good; a lot of that has to deal with other positions on the field and not just limited to the back 4 or 5 though.

It's tough to credit "recruiting" as the primary reason when his "hit rate" is standard. Had his percentage been higher than normal, I'd feel your original comment would have more validity behind it.

Thanks for the response.

He hit at a rate that is standard, that's the point of my response. Yes, his pass defensive scheme was dang good; a lot of that has to deal with other positions on the field and not just limited to the back 4 or 5 though.

It's tough to credit "recruiting" as the primary reason when his "hit rate" is standard. Had his percentage been higher than normal, I'd feel your original comment would have more validity behind it.

Thanks for the response.
There are some who say we got routed with backs running up thousands of yards rushing at times; because he was selling out to defend the pass ???

ADVERTISEMENT