ADVERTISEMENT

"Lack of energy or something going on"

hddude55

Defensive Coordinator
Jan 14, 2002
Arizona
Even the announcers of today's game can recognize a train wreck. One more year and if this doesn't turn around, Miles needs to go.

Second game in a row where the team came out with no intention of competing. Our talent isn't great, but our hustle and discipline is even worse.

Yeah, it looks like a sinking ship. Just an overall lack of effort. Not sure why it is happening. While he's got his weaknesses, I am a Miles supporter. I think we could do far worse.

Next year's team should be noticeably better.

I don't know what exactly is going on, because I really believe Miles is a great guy (before you criticize my opinion keep reading) and I do believe he could be a good D1 coach. I have not met him personally but I know more than enough people (15+ off top of my head) who have met him and each one of them told me how awesome of a dude he is to be around. I understand that statement that he's "a good dude" who is "positive, upbeat, etc" does not fully apply to being a D-1 basketball coach in a Power 5 Conference.

However, whether the problem is talent and the lack of a center (3/4 of my suspicions), or perhaps the staff's message not resonating, the scheme is not resonating...it's plain obvious to everyone that something is not adding up. Whenever something like this happens to a team in general, I always believe there is a weak link or a player behind the scenes that drags some of the others down. In my mind, it's not Shavon, Andrew White or Glynn Watson and I am totally against the argument of Miles being the weakest link of the team. I personally think that a other couple players have egos big enough that they drag the others down (other 1/4 of my suspicions). The hard thing to comprehend is, how did they play so well (even though they were really close losses) against Miami, Ohio State, and even played Michigan and Purdue well during lengthy spurts in those games, then turn around and look like we don't know how how to pass the ball. It could be scheme and I could be completely wrong about everything I just said, but those are my thoughts.

Really, really sucky loss today. Nebraska Basketball is lost at sea right now.

Nebraska will never be anything in basketball if we continually fire coaches. We have a terrible program. Miles has had more success than any coach since Nee. He shouldn't be fired any time soon.
If we see the same crap next year he should

If we see the same crap next year he should

No, he shouldn't. He should be safe through next season but a repeat puts him on the hottest of seats in 2017-2018. I don't see a repeat though, it's at the least an NIT roster with enough hope to be in discussion for the dance.

Osborne was forced to sign Miles to a 7-year deal, just like Northwestern did with Collins. It's not a coincidence either.

I don't blame this team for being demoralized at this point in the season because I think this team has worked really hard. It just hasn't been clicking the last few weeks for whatever reason. I'm under the impression that AW3 has/had a pretty bad shoulder injury the second half of the season that has affected his shot. That coupled with lack of a front court presence (Morrow has started to emerge as of late which is awesome to see) and Sheilds nearly dying on the court really crippled our team.

No, he shouldn't. He should be safe through next season but a repeat puts him on the hottest of seats in 2017-2018. I don't see a repeat though, it's at the least an NIT roster with enough hope to be in discussion for the dance.

Osborne was forced to sign Miles to a 7-year deal, just like Northwestern did with Collins. It's not a coincidence either.
If next year is more of the same, that would result in yet another year below .500 which would be 4 out of 5 years. I'd deffinately say that he could get fired

Reactions: Bill_Callahan2.0
Great coaching can mitigate marginal talent. That can get you to better recruits. Miles has been successful where the stakes were lower and had a great year at NU. But that is now in the rear view mirror and recruits might begin to smell the stench of failure. The B1G is a tough league. Can Miles get the team to a point where it competes most nights in the B1G? Who knows, but at some point he begins to look like roadkill on the coaching highway.
OTOH, NU has to at some point give a guy a chance to build a program. Maybe in a year or two he gets 2-3 really solid guys and is able to compete night in and out and NU evolves into a legit mid pack league team. We'd probably be OK with that.

Reactions: dpnavy
Nebraska will never be anything in basketball if we continually fire coaches. We have a terrible program. Miles has had more success than any coach since Nee. He shouldn't be fired any time soon.
This. Some people need to realize this is Nebraska basketball we are talking about.

I really would be intrigued on fan reactions about this year if the 2014-2015 team flipped seasons with the 2013-2014 team.

First you say should, now you say could.

Make up your mind.
I said he should be fired in my original post if he has another bad year, to which you said he will be safe even after next year. Then I said he could be fired because of the below .500 seasons. Reading comprehension isn't a strong suit of yours I gather.

Granted, Doc never took the Huskers to the NCAA's, but his overall record in Lincoln was 101-89, while Miles is currently sitting at 61-65. Just a little perspective, at the same point in their Husker careers, Sadler was 70-58. I don't think anyone would argue that they wished Doc was still here, but it is very reasonable to debate if the program is actually on a better trajectory right now than what it was with Doc. I'll support Coach Miles, I like him, but I don't buy that Nebraska can't be a consistent winner. Iowa and Wisconsin have what advantage over Nebraska? Facilities? No. Resources? No. Superior talent? Maybe, but not enough to tip the scales this much. Coaching???????

I said he should be fired in my original post if he has another bad year, to which you said he will be safe even after next year. Then I said he could be fired because of the below .500 seasons. Reading comprehension isn't a strong suit of yours I gather.

Ho. Lee. Fook

If he can't put a winning season together next year then there absolutely will be some decisions to make within the program.

Doc Sadler's 08-09 team was a feisty bunch with no player over 6'6( except for the 5 mins a game from Chris Balham) and went 18-13 with an NIT appearance.

Something isn't right, but I really hope it gets figured out

Reactions: huskerfan1414
How does Miles have anything to do with the current "trajectory" of the program? The current positives are the game and practice facilities. That's it. In game effort and coaching have been dismal here the last few weeks (at least Sadler's team tried to play D...I've seen senior citizens slide their feet faster than Jack McVeigh...how about post defense). Fan support has been amazing-but then again, that's more the new arena than it is anything else. All I will say is Doc never got it this easy (as evidented by the even tho his record was better we still hate him more than the current guy comment. Geez...apparently winning doesn't matter here). Pretty bad that Danny Nee still looks like Nebraska's best all time bball coach...

Hey, some people gave up their football tickets for this basketball team so I guess things could be worse...

GBR

I don't know about you or anyone else, but the 16 schedule (especially OOC) > 09 schedule.
According to CBS, 96th ranked schedule this year and 94th in 08-09. Right about OOC but it all counts and Doc beat a 20-10 Creighton team that year, something Miles can't do. Also Sadler did had a bad loss against UMBC which can cancel out with Samford.
Miles isn't cutting it and except for a stretch when players got hot shooting in his "hope something happens" offense, no he has not been a better coach than Doc Sadler. Sorry, all the well-wishing in the world doesn't change that.
(Que response "wow you want doc sadler back" even though that's not what I said)

According to CBS, 96th ranked schedule this year and 94th in 08-09. Right about OOC but it all counts and Doc beat a 20-10 Creighton team that year, something Miles can't do. Also Sadler did had a bad loss against UMBC which can cancel out with Samford.
Miles isn't cutting it and except for a stretch when players got hot shooting in his "hope something happens" offense, no he has not been a better coach than Doc Sadler. Sorry, all the well-wishing in the world doesn't change that.
(Que response "wow you want doc sadler back" even though that's not what I said)

According to KenPom, 16 > 09, and I'm not even sure anyone would cite CBS when discussing hoops SOS. Congrats to Doc for beating a 20-win Missouri Valley team, one that ended up in the NIT, that's something to hang a hat on!

2016 OOC
1 seed Villanova (away)
3 seed Miami
10 seed Cincinnati (neutral)
NIT Creighton (away)
Not to mention, Rhode Island is a NIT bubble team right now

2009 OOC
6 seed Arizona State (away)
NIT Creighton

So ya, go ahead and try to tell me - or anyone else - that Doc didn't have it easier in 2009 compared to Miles in 2016. :rolleyes:

We can also add the conference games as well...

2016 conference
2 seed Michigan State (away)
3 seed Indiana (x2)
4 seed Maryland
5 seed Purdue (x2)
5 seed Io_a (away)
6 seed Wisconsin (away)
NIT, 3 opponents (Ohio State, Northwestern x2)

2009 conference
2 seed Oklahoma (away)
3 seed Kansas (x2)
3 seed Missouri (x2)
7 seed Texas
8 seed Oklahoma State
9 seed aTm
NIT, 3 games (Baylor, Kansas State x2)

Last edited:
If you can't see that Miles is a top 3 coach in the Big Ten...that is your problem

I'm honestly asking, because I want to believe that Miles is the answer but what are you basing that on? He's certainly brought in more talent than we've had the last few years. We've also finished the both of last two seasons in an absolute tail spin. I get we were young this year, and some of those losses were close, but this team doesn't look like one poised to turn the corner right now. He's been completely incapable of recruiting a big man, and despite that, continues to trot out an offense that appears reliant on having a big man to pull defenders away from the perimeter.

Our defense has been incredibly mediocre as well. If we're going to be this short, we need to be WAY more uptempo. I don't get why he doesn't see that.

How does Miles have anything to do with the current "trajectory" of the program? The current positives are the game and practice facilities. That's it. In game effort and coaching have been dismal here the last few weeks (at least Sadler's team tried to play D...I've seen senior citizens slide their feet faster than Jack McVeigh...how about post defense). Fan support has been amazing-but then again, that's more the new arena than it is anything else. All I will say is Doc never got it this easy (as evidented by the even tho his record was better we still hate him more than the current guy comment. Geez...apparently winning doesn't matter here). Pretty bad that Danny Nee still looks like Nebraska's best all time bball coach...

Hey, some people gave up their football tickets for this basketball team so I guess things could be worse...

GBR
Where did these expectations come from? We still haven't won an NCAA tournament game, man. AND we're playing in (imo) the best league in the country year in and year out. We have the best Freshman class we've had in a long time, and I'm excited to see them grow. Trust me I complain about Miles plenty but trying to compare him to Sadler at this point won't win you many arguments. Also, didn't Kenny get 7 years?

Where did these expectations come from? We still haven't won an NCAA tournament game, man. AND we're playing in (imo) the best league in the country year in and year out. We have the best Freshman class we've had in a long time, and I'm excited to see them grow. Trust me I complain about Miles plenty but trying to compare him to Sadler at this point won't win you many arguments. Also, didn't Kenny get 7 years?

Kenny got seven years because Tom Osborne was an incredibly bad AD.

Kenny got seven years because Tom Osborne was an incredibly bad AD.
Have we ever had a good AD then? The basketball program has never been good. The 90's we had some good teams but our pinnacle was winning the big 8 tournament in '94. Our next pinnacle was...building the new pinnacle and beating Wisconsin when nobody sat down. Does that sound about right?

Oh I don't have any expectations for NU hoops...I'm sorry to mislead you there. we can't even field a team with a winning record when we have some of the best facilities in the nation.

There are some peeps here who really piled it on the old coaches (mainly for lack of winning). New coaches are doing even worse and yet there is not the same standards being held currently in accessing win/losses...

I think it's fair to say in looking yr to yr at tenures, that we're no better today than we were before. That's not good.

The good news is that if football continues to lose to than we may not be considered a "football first", "basketball second" school...oh and maybe some of the talent on the roster will increase in the future.

GBR

The AD only matters when the coaches aren't getting the job done (ahem winning). We were solid in the mid 90's...had several NCAA appearances. Should've had a tourney win then but didn't. It's doable...but you have to have 2-3 guys that can be potential all conference (with one being a big).

GBR

Have we ever had a good AD then? The basketball program has never been good. The 90's we had some good teams but our pinnacle was winning the big 8 tournament in '94. Our next pinnacle was...building the new pinnacle and beating Wisconsin when nobody sat down. Does that sound about right?
As much as I hate to say it, Bill Byrne was likely our best AD. He brought in Van Horn, he brought in Nee, he wanted to bring in someone other than Solich. The athletic department as a whole was never better than when he was helming it. Now, I know there are arguments to be made that it was in spite of him, but someone was doing something right during that period of time.

Oh I don't have any expectations for NU hoops...I'm sorry to mislead you there. we can't even field a team with a winning record when we have some of the best facilities in the nation.

There are some peeps here who really piled it on the old coaches (mainly for lack of winning). New coaches are doing even worse and yet there is not the same standards being held currently in accessing win/losses...

I think it's fair to say in looking yr to yr at tenures, that we're no better today than we were before. That's not good.

The good news is that if football continues to lose to than we may not be considered a "football first", "basketball second" school...oh and maybe some of the talent on the roster will increase in the future.

GBR

I believe you meant to type assessing not accessing. I'm over the " next year" excuse. It is time for Miles to meet the expectations of this fan base.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Sadler only got six years BTW.......his last year was horrible and the future really didn't look all that bright under his recruiting. Miles will surely get to his sixth year but if his sixth year is like his past two I'm not sure he gets to keep his job.

Reactions: Bill_Callahan2.0

GBR

Nuance isn't really your strong suit is it? The old coaches deserved to be piled on for not winning. The "new coaches" have largely avoided that because they haven't had the same length of tenure. Having said that, two straight losing seasons including runs to end both years in which the team just bottomed out, should have Miles' seat pretty hot. Another 6-7 season out of Riley next year will do the same.

Sadler only got six years BTW.......his last year was horrible and the future really didn't look all that bright under his recruiting. Miles will surely get to his sixth year but if his sixth year is like his past two I'm not sure he gets to keep his job.

All complete hypothetical's, but if we were to have two more seasons of losing basketball, does anyone think Miles shouldn't get fired?

All complete hypothetical's, but if we were to have two more seasons of losing basketball, does anyone think Miles shouldn't get fired?
There's no way he wouldn't get fired if he had four straight losing seasons. I honestly think he gets fired next year if he has a losing season. Missing the big dance, but making the NIT should honestly be bare minimum for next season. He'll be out of excuses.

There's no way he wouldn't get fired if he had four straight losing seasons. I honestly think he gets fired next year if he has a losing season. Missing the big dance, but making the NIT should honestly be bare minimum for next season. He'll be out of excuses.

Who knows what Eichorst is thinking but really no excuse to not make the NIT next year. This may request Miles finding a big man though...which for whatever reason is a difficult task for him. The early game vs Creighton is important...Miles losing to them 5 straight years and the fanbase will start to sound off.

ADVERTISEMENT