ADVERTISEMENT

Lack of commits.

husker2612

Recruiting Coordinator
Nov 29, 2010
Currently Nebraska is sitting at 47th in the country with 3. I would like to have more, but Im not to concerned about it yet. Im wondering do you think some of it could be these recruits are waiting to see how Nebraska does this year? If we start out good, beat teams like Ohio St, Wisc could we see the flood gates open so to speak?

It’s not even June. Worrying about recruiting now is pointless. And being 47th with 3 recruits is pretty damn good. Recruiting rankings don’t matter until the February signing day.

I think the staff is going to be even more selective this year. They've made a lot of offers but not sure how many of those they'd actually take as commitments right now. Think they're willing to take only those they really, really want right now and willing to wait until the fall to sort the rest out. JMO.

I think the staff is going to be even more selective this year. They've made a lot of offers but not sure how many of those they'd actually take as commitments right now. Think they're willing to take only those they really, really want right now and willing to wait until the fall to sort the rest out. JMO.
I agree, I think if they would let anyone commit who wanted to we would also be above 10. They only want a select few

We will have around 10 commits by the time of the South Alabama game.
I agree with this. A lot of guys are making summer decisions.
Even if we don’t hit 10, we should have several more by game 1.

Then the season will allow the nation to see we are on the rise, and the rest of our class should fall into place nicely by the early signing period.

Reactions: husker2612
I'd imagine quite a few recruits may want to see if Nebraska takes that step forward on the field this year. Last year I think they were able to still sell recruits on getting guys to fit their system and a chance of coming in and making an impact early.

How many offers have they extended and they are being “very selective?” Something doesn’t add up.

Perhaps players are waiting to see how good the team is, that is a blanket statement for a lot of players.

The fact is as time goes by and more recruits commit across the country, the pool shrinks. The top 10 schools in the rivals rankings have no less than 10 commits. North Carolina is #9 with 13. Iowa and Northwestern both have 10 each.

Not saying recruiting is bad, we suck, or we are going to lower level kids but facts are facts and numbers tell us something. Sure, some may flip, not many though as history tells us.

Would anyone complain IF we did have 10 right now? I doubt it.

How many offers have they extended and they are being “very selective?” Something doesn’t add up.

Perhaps players are waiting to see how good the team is, that is a blanket statement for a lot of players.

The fact is as time goes by and more recruits commit across the country, the pool shrinks. The top 10 schools in the rivals rankings have no less than 10 commits. North Carolina is #9 with 13. Iowa and Northwestern both have 10 each.

Not saying recruiting is bad, we suck, or we are going to lower level kids but facts are facts and numbers tell us something. Sure, some may flip, not many though as history tells us.

No, nobody would complain. I do think a lot has to do with kids are in wait and see approach with Nebraska. None of these recruits remember Alabama level Nebraska. We are not a big deal to them. Similar to how I feel about Minnesota and how they dominated back in the 30s and 40s. None of us remember. I just know MN as a crappy team and in my mind that is all they have ever been.
These recruits know Frost and they know what he did at UCF. I think they want to see if he gets it going here. Lets face it kids want to be in programs that are winning. Thats why the top programs keep getting the top recruits. If Nebraska can get things going and get into the top 15 this year and next. I think recruiting becomes a bit easier.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigRedTed37
This staff has gotten some home run commitments since they've been here. See Adrian Martinez. I think they're trying to increase the amount of home runs per class. That will take more time at first. But next year and after we'll have normal commit frequency.

What doesn't add up is that people don't understand the staff's recruiting strategy. They're extending a boatload of offers to kids they think fit their system BUT those offers are NOT immediate commitments they'd accept.

The staff wants to have their "foot in door" as things shake out to keep their options open but they will only take their top most wants at the beginning of the cycle. Those type of kids of course have lot's and lot's of choices so most of them won't make a quick decision.

It's a good strategy to NOT be settling for good (but less than stellar) recruits - they have their goals set to a higher standard than we've been used to under previous recent regimes.

What doesn't add up is that people don't understand the staff's recruiting strategy. They're extending a boatload of offers to kids they think fit their system BUT those offers are NOT immediate commitments they'd accept.

The staff wants to have their "foot in door" as things shake out to keep their options open but they will only take their top most wants at the beginning of the cycle. Those type of kids of course have lot's and lot's of choices so most of them won't make a quick decision.

It's a good strategy to NOT be settling for good (but less than stellar) recruits - they have their goals set to a higher standard than we've been used to under previous recent regimes.
I think this is right on the money.

Reactions: HuskerDana

I am not sure we, as the casual fans truly "understand" the overall strategy. We may want to think we do. But I will give you that this strategy is indeed true. Then what you are saying to a recruit who gets a non-committal offer - we are going to offer you a scholarship but it is only good if we don't get the better guys ahead of you. So in essence they are offering plan A - C in one fell swoop. Then they wait on the plan A guys which you say have lots of choices and most won't make a quick decision.

Well, that probably doesn't square with how the top teams are filling their rosters with talent. Look at how many 5* guys are off the board already. The usual number of 5's is around 25-35 and that is just a reference, not saying we were in on the 5* kids. The same could be said for 4* as well I am sure.

I am not saying it is time to panic or claim the sky is falling. But to disregard it all and say, oh we will get our guys isn't exactly a dream I would bet money on as well. Maybe someone could tell me of all the offers out there, how many have already accepted somewhere else? Were they plan A or B or C?

Eventually I would hope that Scott and Co. would like to get to the point where their classes are pretty full by this time of the year, that would be an awesome change. Oh and one more thing, of course they are going to recruit athletes that fit their system, that does seem pretty intuitive does it not? BTW, I am not worried, concerned or anything but there is a numbers game to play in all of this.

Our on the field results have not been good recently, but we have reason to hope we are on the upswing and are striving to recruit accordingly. Quantity of recruits right now would probably come at the cost of quality. That will change once as the winning takes shape, and we get a bigger uptake on the elite recruits that do commit early.

It seems a little dramatic now, but the staff probably feels very good about several recruits deciding this summer that are in their top tier. And if we can extend the momentum from the end of last season into this season, we should do very well competing for the remaining studs to finish off the class.

I am not sure we, as the casual fans truly "understand" the overall strategy. We may want to think we do. But I will give you that this strategy is indeed true. Then what you are saying to a recruit who gets a non-committal offer - we are going to offer you a scholarship but it is only good if we don't get the better guys ahead of you. So in essence they are offering plan A - C in one fell swoop. Then they wait on the plan A guys which you say have lots of choices and most won't make a quick decision.

Well, that probably doesn't square with how the top teams are filling their rosters with talent. Look at how many 5* guys are off the board already. The usual number of 5's is around 25-35 and that is just a reference, not saying we were in on the 5* kids. The same could be said for 4* as well I am sure.

I am not saying it is time to panic or claim the sky is falling. But to disregard it all and say, oh we will get our guys isn't exactly a dream I would bet money on as well. Maybe someone could tell me of all the offers out there, how many have already accepted somewhere else? Were they plan A or B or C?

Eventually I would hope that Scott and Co. would like to get to the point where their classes are pretty full by this time of the year, that would be an awesome change. Oh and one more thing, of course they are going to recruit athletes that fit their system, that does seem pretty intuitive does it not? BTW, I am not worried, concerned or anything but there is a numbers game to play in all of this.
You can't compare Nebraska's recruiting strategy/approach to that of a lot of other schools. As has been discussed forever, Nebraska just doesn't sit in a geographic hotbed for those 5 stars. A lot of the schools collecting the 5 stars you refer to are at a significant geographic advantage. So the reality is that we have to have a recruiting strategy that suits our situation. That means offering a lot more kids across the nation and trying to manage the situation to get the best we can out of that big pool of kids. We have to work a lot harder and be a lot smarter than many other schools but it can be done.

Well for 2020:
We have a total of 6 QB offers. The top guy(ranked 33rd) is committed to USC. The other 5 were all in the same ball park including smothers. From a rankings wise he was 5th of the 6.
We have 39 RBs offered. Of the top 10 ranking wise, 4 have already committed elsewhere. Of the 39 offers only 9 have committed elsewhere.
We have 60 Wr offered. OF the top 10, 5 have committed elsewhere. Of the 60 Only 17 have committed . We have the 15th on our board, and 100th overall guy in Betts
We have 15 TE 4 of the top 10 are committed. 6 of the 15 are committed.
We have 31 Offensive tackles we have the #2 guy on our board and 31 overall. 6 of the 10 are committed. 15 of the 31 are committed.
We have 37 corners. 7 of the top 10 are committed. 16 of the 37 have already committed.
We have 23 Safety 4 of the top 10 have committed. 9 have already committed
We have 31 "athletes" 3 of the top 10 have committed. 6 of the 31 are committed
We have 32 Outside LB 3 of the top 10 have committed. 7 of the 32 have committed
We have 17 Inside LB 7 of the top 10 have committed. 9 of the 17 have committed
We have 29 D tackles 5 of the top 10 have committed. 11 of the 29 have committed
We have 22 Strong Side D end 4 of the top 10 have committed. 5 of the 22 have committed
We have 27 weatk side d end 4 of the top 10 have committed. 7 of the 27 have committed.
We have 5 centers 2 of the 5 are committed
We have 19 O guards 5 of the top 10 have committed. 8 of the 19 have committed.

Lots of guys on our list still available, even what I assume are some of the top guys.

Well for 2020:
We have a total of 6 QB offers. The top guy(ranked 33rd) is committed to USC. The other 5 were all in the same ball park including smothers. From a rankings wise he was 5th of the 6.
We have 39 RBs offered. Of the top 10 ranking wise, 4 have already committed elsewhere. Of the 39 offers only 9 have committed elsewhere.
We have 60 Wr offered. OF the top 10, 5 have committed elsewhere. Of the 60 Only 17 have committed . We have the 15th on our board, and 100th overall guy in Betts
We have 15 TE 4 of the top 10 are committed. 6 of the 15 are committed.
We have 31 Offensive tackles we have the #2 guy on our board and 31 overall. 6 of the 10 are committed. 15 of the 31 are committed.
We have 37 corners. 7 of the top 10 are committed. 16 of the 37 have already committed.
We have 23 Safety 4 of the top 10 have committed. 9 have already committed
We have 31 "athletes" 3 of the top 10 have committed. 6 of the 31 are committed
We have 32 Outside LB 3 of the top 10 have committed. 7 of the 32 have committed
We have 17 Inside LB 7 of the top 10 have committed. 9 of the 17 have committed
We have 29 D tackles 5 of the top 10 have committed. 11 of the 29 have committed
We have 22 Strong Side D end 4 of the top 10 have committed. 5 of the 22 have committed
We have 27 weatk side d end 4 of the top 10 have committed. 7 of the 27 have committed.
We have 5 centers 2 of the 5 are committed
We have 19 O guards 5 of the top 10 have committed. 8 of the 19 have committed.

Lots of guys on our list still available, even what I assume are some of the top guys.
Wow, that was a lot of work - thanks.

I wouldn’t worry. Fred Hoiberg is mentoring Scott on how to fill up classes in less than 30 days. The other good news is our current team is moving around well in the weight room.

Frost made reference to the summer camp scene also. It will be a good opportunity to further their scouting and relationship building.

You can't compare Nebraska's recruiting strategy/approach to that of a lot of other schools. As has been discussed forever, Nebraska just doesn't sit in a geographic hotbed for those 5 stars. A lot of the schools collecting the 5 stars you refer to are at a significant geographic advantage. So the reality is that we have to have a recruiting strategy that suits our situation. That means offering a lot more kids across the nation and trying to manage the situation to get the best we can out of that big pool of kids. We have to work a lot harder and be a lot smarter than many other schools but it can be done.

I know the longer these go, the initial point gets lost. I was not questioning the recruiting strategy. I don't and I venture to say not a single person on here really knows what it is. Offering a ton of scholarships is not itself a strategy although it may be part of the overall strategy.

I am fully aware of the challenges of the remoteness of Nebraska and the lack of top end talent in the state and area. That is why SF made the comment about making inroads to the St. Louis area.

The 5* comment, as stated in the original post, was intended as an example. The data supplied by 2612 is good and points out in some positions how the top guys are substantially reduced. The point is the longer it goes, more of the top players come off the list. So to say, ah well, it is just June so it doesn't matter. Well, it does to a certain extent as the players available in the pool is reduced.

I do agree getting the seasons turned around will make a big difference. Getting some kids in the league will also help. Right now, Scott and Co. have to sell the future and what they accomplished in Florida. Eventually that will change. Obviously this all works out but when one is downplaying only having 3 commits would hopefully rather have 10 high rated commits at this time that were the pick of the liter.

I know the longer these go, the initial point gets lost. I was not questioning the recruiting strategy. I don't and I venture to say not a single person on here really knows what it is. Offering a ton of scholarships is not itself a strategy although it may be part of the overall strategy.
I agree the in depth strategy as far as the exact type of players coaches are looking for, we don't know. The overall strategy has been discussed I believe by coaches and reporters in the know. Basically it goes: According to most experts kids now days will not go on official visits unless they have an offer in hand. Frost has said many times, Nebraska sells it self and how important it is to get kids on campus.
As mentioned and known, Nebraska is at a recruiting disadvantage location wise. So it goes without saying that we are going to have to "cast a wider net" than say schools like Alabama. Hence we are going to have way more offers out there. Coaches see a kid with potential they throw out an offer to them. If a kid shows return interest they try to set up a visit and get him on campus. Held has said only a select group of kids from that pool of offers would be allowed to commit at any time. All others are in the "interview" phase. Basically coaches want to talk with them, meet them, see them play in person, meet their family and most importantly try and get them to Lincoln. Coaches have also said they want to make sure they get the right type of kid, not just take the most talented necessarily.

Iowa sucks.
Iowa has more than 3 kids that want to come here.

1254172884282.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT