ADVERTISEMENT

LA RB- Barnes Commits

Mickey: “We ain’t chasing Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin. We are chasing Ohio State.”

Mickey the next day: Signs a recruit whose only other Power 5 offer is from Iowa.
From Rivals...

COMMITMENT ANALYSIS​

A big, stocky back that combines brute power with a streak of elusiveness, Barnes almost perfectly fits the mold of a Big Ten running back that can touch the ball over 20 times per game and remain effective.
His long speed in the open field won't blow away Big Ten defenses, but making a one-on-one tackle in the open field on the bowling ball that is Barnes is next to impossible for lanky defensive backs.

I’m not going to bitch to much about this commit just because the circumstances are poor for MJ to do any meaningful recruiting in, but he literally said yesterday we need better recruiting, then gets a commit from 5.5 3 Star with a list of offers that has includes no schools of substance.

There may not have been many 4* running back left to choose from.

One thing Bo always talked about was the kid needed to LOVE the game. Rankings can’t measure that. And most of you know I wasn’t a Boliever but I think he had that right. Most of us who played the game but weren’t talented enough to garner a D1 scholarship loved the game. Clearly Betts didn’t love the game. We’ve had some other highly ranked guys who clearly looked like they were just going through the motions.
Pelini was also able to land players who were difference makers on defense.

for those that don’t believe MJ will be here in some sort of fashion next year. Read

"Mickey knows what it takes to make it to the next level, he is a Nebraska legend and he is from The Boot so I believe we could get along well and make things pop,” Barnes told 247Sports...I just feel Mickey Joseph has got some things cooking up in Nebraska.”

everything he talked about was MJ. Kids like him aren’t coming to NU w/out MJ. And MJ wouldn’t BS these kids
No doubt, Mickey can recruit a little.

Reactions: headcard
for those that don’t believe MJ will be here in some sort of fashion next year. Read

"Mickey knows what it takes to make it to the next level, he is a Nebraska legend and he is from The Boot so I believe we could get along well and make things pop,” Barnes told 247Sports...I just feel Mickey Joseph has got some things cooking up in Nebraska.”

everything he talked about was MJ. Kids like him aren’t coming to NU w/out MJ. And MJ wouldn’t BS these kids
I agree that MJ will be here next year with a nice boost in salary. How big a boost is yet to be seen.
I also like the skill set this recruit brings to the RB room.

Reactions: headcard
Even if we don't win another game this season, I think he's the right guy. He's going to need his own staff and players. I have no problem giving him 4 years.
I am 100% behind this. Unless we get Urban, NO coach coming in is surefire.

Watched his film. He has very good balance, vision and elusiveness. Absolutely trucked a guy on a TD run.

Top end speed was the only thing that might be questionable but he has plenty of long TD runs.

Looked at his stats on Hudl. A lot 200 yard, 150 yard games.

Remember Ozigbo didn't have great offers coming out of high school either. I think he was committed to iowa state?

This guy visited and had an offer from Iowa who is usually pretty decent at spotting workhorse backs. Also Louisiana=good.

Great

Great kid but he is not a BIG 1st team NT.......MJ does that then he is cooking.

IMO if there is tension with anyone it should be Raiola and Duval. Our OL can’t even stand up straight. If MJ gets it I hope he flips the entire staff except for Bush.
That's where I sit as well. Or if it's not HCMJ, the new guy can retain those 2

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
If MJ is passionate about NU and is a grinder, the new HC would be foolish to not pay him well and keep him here.

Watched his film. He has very good balance, vision and elusiveness. Absolutely trucked a guy on a TD run.

Top end speed was the only thing that might be questionable but he has plenty of long TD runs.

Looked at his stats on Hudl. A lot 200 yard, 150 yard games.

Remember Ozigbo didn't have great offers coming out of high school either. I think he was committed to iowa state?

This guy visited and had an offer from Iowa who is usually pretty decent at spotting workhorse backs. Also Louisiana=good.
kid is basically a short but thick bowling ball

True I will say though that RB is a hard position for recruiting services to figure out sometimes. Ameer was a 3 star who came in and beat out 2 4star running backs that were ahead of him.
So you’re using one example in the past 10 years. Now so the whole thesis 🤪. Let me know how that works out. 20 plus years on no conf titles is a good data point.

Nebraska Legend?

Love the prospect of this recruit. I agree with dingle - those bowling balls can be the hardest to tackle. Short like Vaughn and built like Maurice Jones Drew.

Hopefully just underrated at three stars. Mickey's done it before with who was it, Chase or Jefferson?

It's time to get a staff that can properly develop players.

If we go by recruiting rankings the last 5 years, ranked or "raw" talent isn't the issue. Sure, there are probably some semantics regarding how talent can be defined.

Why has much of the "talent" failed here?

It's mostly player development (Coaching, S&C and vetting of character)

The W-L column and recent NFL drafts don't lie.
You’re a fan who actually Get‘s it. 15 years of futility doesn’t just change overnight.

ADVERTISEMENT