ADVERTISEMENT

LA RB- Barnes Commits

Yantzeee

Junior
Nov 25, 2021
for those that don’t believe MJ will be here in some sort of fashion next year. Read

"Mickey knows what it takes to make it to the next level, he is a Nebraska legend and he is from The Boot so I believe we could get along well and make things pop,” Barnes told 247Sports...I just feel Mickey Joseph has got some things cooking up in Nebraska.”

everything he talked about was MJ. Kids like him aren’t coming to NU w/out MJ. And MJ wouldn’t BS these kids

I’m not going to bitch to much about this commit just because the circumstances are poor for MJ to do any meaningful recruiting in, but he literally said yesterday we need better recruiting, then gets a commit from 5.5 3 Star with a list of offers that has includes no schools of substance.

Sounds like Whipp is done with or w/out Mick

wouldn’t mind Whipp staying as QB coach
Not sure if there is not some sort of tension between those 2 with his comments today. MJ said something like we tried to get the run game going "but we like to pass the ball."

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I’m not going to bitch to much about this commit just because the circumstances are poor for MJ to do any meaningful recruiting in, but he literally said yesterday we need better recruiting, then gets a commit from 5.5 3 Star with a list of offers that has includes no schools of substance.

He visited Iowa last weekend (which proves your point :)).

But seriously. It's not all just about getting the highly-ranked guys. It's also about evals and being right on the other guys. Justin Jefferson was a 2-star recruit, as an example.

for those that don’t believe MJ will be here in some sort of fashion next year. Read

"Mickey knows what it takes to make it to the next level, he is a Nebraska legend and he is from The Boot so I believe we could get along well and make things pop,” Barnes told 247Sports...I just feel Mickey Joseph has got some things cooking up in Nebraska.”

everything he talked about was MJ. Kids like him aren’t coming to NU w/out MJ. And MJ wouldn’t BS these kids

Kids like him? 3-star recruits with only one other Power 5 offer? I don't think this is a recruit that is going to convince Trev to give him the job.

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
Kids like him? 3-star recruits with only one other Power 5 offer? I don't think this is a recruit that is going to convince Trev to give him the job.
True I will say though that RB is a hard position for recruiting services to figure out sometimes. Ameer was a 3 star who came in and beat out 2 4star running backs that were ahead of him.

But seriously. It's not all just about getting the highly-ranked guys. It's also about evals and being right on the other guys. Justin Jefferson was a 2-star recruit, as an example.

Mickey: “We ain’t chasing Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin. We are chasing Ohio State.”

Mickey the next day: Signs a recruit whose only other Power 5 offer is from Iowa.

I'm sure there is some tension. The problem for MJ is the more loose he gets with his comments, the less attractive he'll be to Trev as a HC candidate.
True Trev seems to enjoy doing all his work in the background and creating no noise if the coach search is any indication.

No seriously I get it. I’m mainly just messing around. I realize all classes minus a few of the SEC power houses are going to have players like this commit. Hopefully these are the exception and not the rule going forward however if Mickey is sticking around.

True I will say though that RB is a hard position for recruiting services to figure out sometimes. Ameer was a 3 star who came in and beat out 2 4star running backs that were ahead of him.

Ameer had offers from Auburn, Alabama, USC, South Carolina, Texas A&M, Tennessee, Texas Tech, West Virginia, Louisville, and NC State. Some of them wanted him as a defensive back, but still, he had attention from many SEC schools.

Ameer had offers from Auburn, Alabama, USC, South Carolina, Texas A&M, Tennessee, Texas Tech, and NC State. Some of them wanted him as a defensive back, but still, he had attention from many SEC schools.
I thought that was very late in the recruiting period. My memory of that class and his recruitment fails me so i could be wrong about that.

I remember how people bitched when Callahan got a commitment from Roy Helu. Rivals had him as a 4.7 40 guy and 3 star.
Yeah, that is crazy, and he started the 2008 to 2014 run of Nebraska having 1000-yard backs again. In my opinion star rating esp of most QBs and RBs can be completely thrown out the window.

Reactions: king_kong_
It's time to get a staff that can properly develop players.

If we go by recruiting rankings the last 5 years, ranked or "raw" talent isn't the issue. Sure, there are probably some semantics regarding how talent can be defined.

Why has much of the "talent" failed here?

It's mostly player development (Coaching, S&C and vetting of character)

The W-L column and recent NFL drafts don't lie.

IMO if there is tension with anyone it should be Raiola and Duval. Our OL can’t even stand up straight. If MJ gets it I hope he flips the entire staff except for Bush.
Duval isn't getting the job done, but there's more to blame than just him. Frost was in love with measurables and since internet recruiting raters also love measurables, the recruits they brought had 3 and 4 star ratings. Sounds fine. But the problem is that most of those guys aren't good enough to play in the Big 10. People rip on Benhardt, but just think about how bad some of the other guys must be! That Yeager kid from Utah didn't even last one month.

Mickey: “We ain’t chasing Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin. We are chasing Ohio State.”

Mickey the next day: Signs a recruit whose only other Power 5 offer is from Iowa.
I hope the kid surprises us but hardly going to dance a jig for his commitment. Just looking at his film it seems clear he doesn't have separation speed which doesn't mean he can't be successful. Ameer had the second gear

Yeah, that is crazy, and he started the 2008 to 2014 run of Nebraska having 1000-yard backs again. In my opinion star rating esp of most QBs and RBs can be completely thrown out the window.
I think the rankings have some merit but there are WAY too many kids who either don’t live up
To their ranking or vastly outperform them to get too excited by the rankings

IMO Frost counted on recruiting services too much for player evaluations. …..
If you want to compete for championships, stars count, and the statistics of the top teams bear that out. Second to that is actually keeping your highly touted kids around for more than one year. Third would be player development. Yes, you can be an 8/9 win team with top 35 recruiting classes, good player retention, and great player development, but you'll never win championships.

Duval isn't getting the job done, but there's more to blame than just him. Frost was in love with measurables and since internet recruiting raters also love measurables, the recruits they brought had 3 and 4 star ratings. Sounds fine. But the problem is that most of those guys aren't good enough to play in the Big 10. People rip on Benhardt, but just think about how bad some of the other guys must be! That Yeager kid from Utah didn't even last one month.
One thing Bo always talked about was the kid needed to LOVE the game. Rankings can’t measure that. And most of you know I wasn’t a Boliever but I think he had that right. Most of us who played the game but weren’t talented enough to garner a D1 scholarship loved the game. Clearly Betts didn’t love the game. We’ve had some other highly ranked guys who clearly looked like they were just going through the motions.

If you want to compete for championships, stars count, and the statistics of the top teams bear that out. Second to that is actually keeping your highly touted kids around for more than one year. Third would be player development. Yes, you can be an 8/9 win team with top 35 recruiting classes, good player retention, and great player development, but you'll never win championships.
Saban still cycles through 4 star guys who never pan out. You will note that I NEVER SAID THAT STARS DON’T MATTER

today-show-yes.gif

Welcome

ADVERTISEMENT