ADVERTISEMENT

Kurt Rafdal enters the portal

always thought he should've been getting more pt. with all the other talent at the same spot it was hard to do. think he will become very successful wherever he ends up. best to the youngman. to me, this is exactly what the portal should be used for.

always thought he should've been getting more pt. with all the other talent at the same spot it was hard to do. think he will become very successful wherever he ends up. best to the youngman. to me, this is exactly what the portal should be used for.
The little PT he did get, it's obvious why he wasn't getting more. He makes Allen and Stoll look like Travis Kelce by comparison.

Allen and the kid from Rutgers are a clear 1-2. Hickman is a tweener mystery man and Fidone is an exciting prospect. He’d be battling it out with Hickman and the freshman for 3 on the depth chart.

The little PT he did get, it's obvious why he wasn't getting more. He makes Allen and Stoll look like Travis Kelce by comparison.
not in my eyesight. it seems obvious you may either want an eye exam or maybe sober up a little while watching the games. allen and stoll while both being serviceable will never be confused with kelce. 2019 rafdal looked pretty dam good at times and just needing more experience and reps. same with both stoll and allen. now if we come up with someone to hit them when they are running wide fricken open in the secondary!

not in my eyesight. it seems obvious you may either want an eye exam or maybe sober up a little while watching the games. allen and stoll while both being serviceable will never be confused with kelce. 2019 rafdal looked pretty dam good at times and just needing more experience and reps. same with both stoll and allen. now if we come up with someone to hit them when they are running wide fricken open in the secondary!
The gap between Kelce and our starting TE's is about the same gap as our starting TE's and Rafdal. He was never going to get significant playing time here.

While I hate to see any kid leave the program, if Rafdal wants to see the field this is probably what's best for him. Can't say anything bad about someone that wants to play football and not just be a guy that stands on the sideline. Even if that means dropping down a division, getting on the field when you get the chance is worth it.

Listen to Beckton from earlier today when asked about Rafdal sticking with it despite not playing. Funny in hindsight.

Listed height's. Lot of tall kids in the TE and WR groups. With talk of lining up Toure in the slot, we could see a lineup of Betts, Manning, Toure, and Allen/Vokolek. And still a lot of height if one of the more traditional size slot guys is playing.
Liewer - 6-3
Hickman - 6-6
Falck - 6-2
Toure 6-3
Betts - 6-2
Manning - 6-4
Fidone - 6-5
Vokolek - 6-6
Allen - 6-8

I had totally forgotten about Rafdal. He was a big target and former commit of IU’s. He blew up, de-committed and picked Nebraska over LSU and Iowa iirc.

How come he couldn’t get on the field there? Not sure if IU’s Hendershot was also committed at the time, or took his scholarship spot, but he certainly flourished in Rafdal’s absence.

why wouldn't we spread out all our trees and create some serious mismatches?
A.) those TEs have no ball skills
B.) disregard A, because martinez couldn't put the ball where a mismatch would matter, anyway

we should just hand it off every play

Listed height's. Lot of tall kids in the TE and WR groups. With talk of lining up Toure in the slot, we could see a lineup of Betts, Manning, Toure, and Allen/Vokolek. And still a lot of height if one of the more traditional size slot guys is playing.
Liewer - 6-3
Hickman - 6-6
Falck - 6-2
Toure 6-3
Betts - 6-2
Manning - 6-4
Fidone - 6-5
Vokolek - 6-6
Allen - 6-8
As the saying goes, the most important ability in football is availability. We've had a real run lately of the most promising guys in that room going onto milk cartons and/or leaving the program, so I guess I'm reserving judgement.

I wonder what percentage of receiving targets height becomes a statistically relevant factor. It definitely impacts catch radius but the guy has to have the body control and ball skills to make it matter.

I definitely remember Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffrey making it matter a LOT when the Bears were trotting out Josh McCown at QB and they were just grabbing jump balls and back-shoulder throws. But they were also a pair of NFL WR1 talents.

This really hasn't been an offense predicated on throwing to a spot and having WRs go up and get it. It's a "scheme you open" kind of system. My hunch is these body types will be more useful in run blocking.

ADVERTISEMENT