ADVERTISEMENT

KOOL-AID BREAK!

Native Nebraskan

Sophomore
Feb 20, 2006
Its Kool-Aid break time on the "Big Red". Got burned on the hype between last winter, spring and summer. I am tired of getting teased by the media so they can sell their newspapers, internet services, and blogs. It hurts worse when you anticipate something for 9 months and it goes to pot. I can just wait and see what Frost puts on the field and make up my own mind.

Maybe change the title of the thread. Kind of misleading, really. I thought I was going to be served some Kool-Aid. I’m going back to the Troy Walters/Helfrich thread.

tenor.gif

Its Kool-Aid break time on the "Big Red". Got burned on the hype between last winter, spring and summer. I am tired of getting teased by the media so they can sell their newspapers, internet services, and blogs. It hurts worse when you anticipate something for 9 months and it goes to pot. I can just wait and see what Frost puts on the field and make up my own mind.
Thank you for your interest in NU football.

January 10th seems like the right time for this post. He must've been mulling it over for a few weeks.

Reactions: headcard
Being a CF fan has multiple seasons. All are equally important. January to August are hype time. If you cut that out you lose your fan base. The media is driven by hits and they will fan the flames of hype because that is what people want to read. If a headline says.."Husker fans likely need to wait three more years to get excited" then that is a headline that is ignored and doesn't warrant subs. Unsubstantiated hype is free, and feel good...like somebody telling you that you are great and do a good job. No proof needed. August to December is the season and is likely depressing and horrible for most fans because the team rarely if ever meets expectations. Even an OSU fan is sad AF because of the outcome of their season. December through February is the recruiting season and can create positivity or negativity. Early spring is also coach season and this can lead to some good distractions. The reality is our program is going to be middling for another two years at least...if you want your fans to go away then skip the hype, but hype is the reason for the season.

Reactions: headcard
Being a CF fan has multiple seasons. All are equally important. January to August are hype time. If you cut that out you lose your fan base. The media is driven by hits and they will fan the flames of hype because that is what people want to read. If a headline says.."Husker fans likely need to wait three more years to get excited" then that is a headline that is ignored and doesn't warrant subs. Unsubstantiated hype is free, and feel good...like somebody telling you that you are great and do a good job. No proof needed. August to December is the season and is likely depressing and horrible for most fans because the team rarely if ever meets expectations. Even an OSU fan is sad AF because of the outcome of their season. December through February is the recruiting season and can create positivity or negativity. Early spring is also coach season and this can lead to some good distractions. The reality is our program is going to be middling for another two years at least...if you want your fans to go away then skip the hype, but hype is the reason for the season.
Nebraska has several consecutive offseason championships between January and August.

I never get this hostility toward the sports media stuff. Like it’s their fault we blew leads against Indiana, Colorado and Purdue. I like reading about the team year round. I want to know how position battles are going, what the coaches have to say, etc. I thought we would be better last year (or win more games at least). I had us pegged as an 8 win team. I thought we could be all the mediocre teams and we had 7-9 mediocre teams on the schedule. I’m not pissed at the people covering the team because it didn’t happen. Conversely, I think we probably win 7 next year. I think we will be improved in several areas, but still not good enough to consistently beat good, Top 15, type teams. I am probably not going to change this outlook too much when I start reading about Piper winning the LG spot, or Manning tearing up a scrimmage, or God forbid Frost saying we had a good practice.

Nebraska has several consecutive offseason championships between January and August.
I think we are in the top 25 of offseason ratings but some Iowa fans thought they might play for the national title...so every fanbase has this formula they follow....logic + 3 wins= expectations.
People tend to make exceptions for the positive and ignore the negatives. Like...We will have Mo at Rb for the whole season. There was a 3% chance of that, but most fans thought a 3% chance would happen 100% of the time. Once we lost our kicker fans just thought we would somehow score anyway on 4th and 10 from the 20, fans just thought a freshman at center was easy to overcome, fans just ignored the fact that nearly every sophomore qb regresses from their freshman year...

I never get this hostility toward the sports media stuff. Like it’s their fault we blew leads against Indiana, Colorado and Purdue. I like reading about the team year round. I want to know how position battles are going, what the coaches have to say, etc. I thought we would be better last year (or win more games at least). I had us pegged as an 8 win team. I thought we could be all the mediocre teams and we had 7-9 mediocre teams on the schedule. I’m not pissed at the people covering the team because it didn’t happen. Conversely, I think we probably win 7 next year. I think we will be improved in several areas, but still not good enough to consistently beat good, Top 15, type teams. I am probably not going to change this outlook too much when I start reading about Piper winning the LG spot, or Manning tearing up a scrimmage, or God forbid Frost saying we had a good practice.
This is the most common sense post I've read on here in a long time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT