ADVERTISEMENT

Kolarevic no longer a nickel

I can't believe they even put him there to begin with. He's way to slow to try and fill JoJo's shoes. He was absolutely exposed from the opener while playing nickel. JMO. No way he was a better fit in that role than a safety or CB with more speed and length.

We’re way too small up the middle IMO. I don’t care what they’re listed at on the roster. Our DEs and backers get manhandled
Looking at NU's 2010 2 deep, one of the present DEs (Nelson) is a little light, but Wynn, Ty and esp Hutmacher are bigger than the 2010 DTs. LBs of 2010 and 2022 are comparable. Less an issue of player size than player quality.

Looking at NU's 2010 2 deep, one of the present DEs (Nelson) is a little light, but Wynn, Ty and esp Hutmacher are bigger than the 2010 DTs. LBs of 2010 and 2022 are comparable. Less an issue of player size than player quality.
Different league, different coaches. Can't necessarily blame player quality.

Ouch for NPG
One of these days, we'll learn the story. So much potential in high school...why is he always passed over? why didn't he transfer? I'm willing to blame Frost/Chinander but what am I actually blaming them with?

Good. He never made any sense at Nickel. Maybe Brown can get on the field and make an impact. Also, don’t really know what Tannor does at SAM.
Tannor is most definitely not of the size to play up on the Dline. And after the LB play we’ve seen, I’m sure they are looking for solutions. Better for running downs? Can he cover a TE? The D is currently sucking at all levels. Limiting run yardage is a start.

tbh, I’m more interested in whether/how the approach sucks with the players we have. The talent on hand isn’t high shelf, but neither is it nearly the worst in CFB. How much of a factor is sloppy play? Are schemes changing post-Chins?

Now the third guy at ILB, Hausman's reps will decrease. Omar Brown now the backup nickel. Sanford now ahead of NPG as the backup safety.
Terrible decision from the start to have him playing nickel. Then we try to makeup for terrible personnel decisions by relying on a true freshman. It's a recipe for something, but it sure isn't success.

Now the third guy at ILB, Hausman's reps will decrease. Omar Brown now the backup nickel. Sanford now ahead of NPG as the backup safety.
Need to mix up the entire front 7, because what we have now isn't working.

Reactions: headcard
And one of Pelini’s problems was a lack of size at DT after Suh and Crick left. Hutmacher never seemed to be in the game on short yardage situations when I looked for him. If you’re backers and DEs are smallish, you better stunt and blitz which means your DBs better be good.

And one of Pelini’s problems was a lack of size at DT after Suh and Crick left. Hutmacher never seemed to be in the game on short yardage situations when I looked for him. If you’re backers and DEs are smallish, you better stunt and blitz which means your DBs better be good.
Is there any hope for the rest of this season?

Terrible decision from the start to have him playing nickel. Then we try to makeup for terrible personnel decisions by relying on a true freshman. It's a recipe for something, but it sure isn't success.
We’ve got to change up some things to get better athletes on the field at some spots. If that means a freshman plays so be it

I refuse to believe the NPG is that bad, I'm actually surprised he's still here. His girlfriend on the volleyball team transferred. The biggest issue I've had with Nebraska is player management.

Let players fail or succeed in a game when it matters. F*cking Wyatt Liewer or however you spell his name has failed. It is so weird who gets 1 chance or multiple chances to thrive at Nebraska.

Gifford's young and he's not slow and he's had no help on the edge. He's been getting blamed for things that aren't necessarily his fault.

Missed tackles are someone ekses fault

To slow to cover receivers is someone ekses fault.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Missed tackles are someone ekses fault

To slow to cover receivers is someone ekses fault.
Who else is there to help him? On a slow stretch play, he shouldn't be the only guy out there. Safeties, linebackers, etc. should all be swarming to the ball and yet noone's out there.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Gifford's young and he's not slow and he's had no help on the edge. He's been getting blamed for things that aren't necessarily his fault.
Are you sure he is not slow or maybe he is just slow to react. Gifford always looks like he is chasing to catch up. I've also seen him let backs/receivers slip through his grasp. Have not been impressed with him.

He's not playing linebacker. He's a nickle so he has to cover wide receivers. He struggles tackling and in coverage, so why is he out there. He is a classic case of a tweener. To small for backer to slow for nickle.
Was supposed to be Buddha Wright's spot, but that hasn't materialized.

He's not playing linebacker. He's a nickle so he has to cover wide receivers. He struggles tackling and in coverage, so why is he out there. He is a classic case of a tweener. To small for backer to slow for nickle.
Gifford is not slow. You got me on the LB comment. I’ve always heard of him discussed with the backers up until this fall.

Are you sure he is not slow or maybe he is just slow to react. Gifford always looks like he is chasing to catch up. I've also seen him let backs/receivers slip through his grasp. Have not been impressed with him.
He's not slow, and he's still a young guy with zero help most of the time. He's not doing near as bad as many people make it out to be.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
Who else is there to help him? On a slow stretch play, he shouldn't be the only guy out there. Safeties, linebackers, etc. should all be swarming to the ball and yet noone's out there.

Lol..he sucks get over it.

It's his job to tackle the man in the flats. Hes never going to have help.

It's his job to cover the crossing route.

You expect him to get help to do his job.

Cmon man. Help comes when you at the very least get a hand on the guy and hold on until.help arrives.

He whiffs everytime.

Gifford is not slow. You got me on the LB comment. I’ve always heard of him discussed with the backers up until this fall.
From the depth chart, I thought Tannor would be playing SAM is a "normal" 4-3, with Gifford swapping on downs where coverage is needed.

Go back and look at the list of LB recruits signed from 2019-2021 and then look at the current depth chart. Don't think there is a need to even have watched the team play to have significant concerns about the position.

Reactions: RaulJones
I wish we would just play a guy like Kolarevich there in base and a guy like Brown in Nickel. Finding a guy like JoJo that can do both is very rare.
Kolarevic and Hausmann jobs are to give Heinrich and Reimer some reps off. Tannor was actually punching above his weight playing up on/near the line. It's hard to judge his play off of the last two games, as they have been a track meet and a blow out. But does he have any feel for the SAM psn?
Brown was an FCS All American. Can he give competent play in the B1G?

Lol..he sucks get over it.

It's his job to tackle the man in the flats. Hes never going to have help.

It's his job to cover the crossing route.

You expect him to get help to do his job.

Cmon man. Help comes when you at the very least get a hand on the guy and hold on until.help arrives.

He whiffs everytime.
No, it's similar to how Garett Nelson was always blamed because he's the only guy who was ever close to the ball. Most of the time when Nelson was blamed, it was an interior lineman or linebacker's fault for not doing their assignment correctly. It's the same thing with Gifford. Gifford has to engage 1 or multiple blockers while being the only guy on the edge. It's not an easy job, especially when the other guys are lazy or doing God knows what and not getting over there to help him.

The fact that it took this long to realize that Kolarevic isn't a nickle, the body type of a nickle, coverage skills of even a WILL linebacker is just weird.

I know that there are at least a couple talented football coaches on this team and it doesn't make sense. Kolarevic had an interview in the summer that he was almost 270lbs.

• Wow
Reactions: BleedRed78
I mean there are very few out there on defense that are any good at all. Much easier to comment on those that are good then spend a bunch of time discussing those that are bad. Gifford well, he would not be talked about because he is ...

ADVERTISEMENT