ADVERTISEMENT

KIZLA: Buffs and Cornhuskers in conferences where they don't belong...

Chief Wiggum

Sophomore
Sep 29, 2001

Guy makes some points. I've said it to friends many times, to this day, I can still be entertained by a KSU-Oklahoma State game and we aren't even in their conference. A Maryland-Minnesota game does absolutely nothing for me. I don't even hate Iowa, OSU, Wisky even though they have owned us recently...but CU, I could get behind that dislike.

Last edited:
I'm ok with the big 10, it's alot closer to the big 8 then the big 12. everybody gets the same cut from the big 10 network.
and I understand the pc on the covid cause of real and perceived liability.
it just is not fun having no football in fall.
could be worse though, like the black plague.
I guess I would be more disappointed if we had a shot at the NC, like osu

They identify more with the East Coast as that is where most of their students come from. Rich Mommy and Daddy's sending their derelict kids out to ski.
Not accurate. According to their 2020 open enrollment profile, 10% come from California, 3% come from Illinois and 3% come from Texas. The majority come from in state. The state has been overrun with former Californians. Fortunately for us, people on the coast have an overall low opinion of Nebraska and other flyover country states.

The state has been overrun with former Californians. Fortunately for us, people on the coast have an overall low opinion of Nebraska and other flyover country states.

I slightly disagree. While politicians and celebrities think we're mostly deplorable, I've always been treated with great respect when I tell people I'm from Nebraska. Only negative comment I remember were a couple of Disney employees (of all places) who were hourly workers, but I've got a pretty sharp tongue when provoked and quickly put them in their place. They had no response.

Kizla pining for the days of Nebraska, funny. I certainly don't want to see UNL go back to a conference with cu or the Big 12, Frost & Co. need to start winning more games and beating tOSU, Wisconsin, Penn State now and then, that's my concern these days. cu needs to do the same in the PAC, someday when both teams start to win more than they lose and pull off wins against the best in conference, this wanting for the old days will cease to exist.

Reactions: arf_man
I can understand some Nebraska and Colorado fans wishing their teams were back in the Big 12 or Big 8. Where they lose me is the notion that conference affiliation is the reason those teams have played so much bad football in recent years. Colorado played plenty of awful football before it ever joined the Pac-12. And while there are many things I don't like about the Big Ten, the conference didn't force NU to make horrible hiring blunders like Shawn Eichorst and Mike Riley.

Reactions: drubendall
Again, the billions in research grants maintained by the Big Ten Academic Alliance absolutely dwarfs the BTN revenues. For that reason, Nebraska will not leave the B10 even if another conference would guarantee twice the amount of their B10 athletic revenue allocation.
If that's the case then we're dead in the water. We'll never be allowed to compete and grow back to where our football program used to be. Why even cheer them on anymore?

Do you think Moos and Frost believe this, knowing that they'll lose a lot of support from the fan base if we stay in the conference? I mean it's sad for us to believe we're an academics first university when were clearly not, and to commit suicide on the one thing we're renown for...

Reactions: ssmill777
The AD and university president who coordinated the move to the BIG should be expunged from any association with the Univ of Neb from this day forward - their traitorous names should henceforth never be spoken aloud by any one loyal to the university.

Last edited:
The best thing Frost can do is taking a page out of Tom Osborne's play book and go with the aw shucks routine, all the while quietly building up a ferocious competitive atmosphere and dynamic team chemistry. We've got to make it so that win or lose, our opponents have misgivings about playing us because of how sore they'll be the next day. That's the Nebraska way, to be dominant and wear down your opponent mentally and physically.

If that's the case then we're dead in the water. We'll never be allowed to compete and grow back to where our football program used to be. Why even cheer them on anymore?

Do you think Moos and Frost believe this, knowing that they'll lose a lot of support from the fan base if we stay in the conference? I mean it's sad for us to believe we're an academics first university when were clearly not, and to commit suicide on the one thing we're renown for...
Not sure if serious. Just win again, its as simple as that. Husker football isn't losing support of their fan base if they stay in the B10. Occasionally winning the Big Ten West isn't exactly conquering Mt. Everest without snowshoes. From there, the BTCG brings invaluable national recognition and a shot at the CFP. Its not easy but it isn't a mission to Mars either.

Reactions: WHCSC
Not accurate. According to their 2020 open enrollment profile, 10% come from California, 3% come from Illinois and 3% come from Texas. The majority come from in state. The state has been overrun with former Californians. Fortunately for us, people on the coast have an overall low opinion of Nebraska and other flyover country states.

This is a recent trend then. Used to live in CO and the majority of the out of state folks had Eastern roots. I guess things have changed.

When push comes to shove, the athletic department will understand the reality that they are a part of the university and without it there is no reason for having athletics. They $10 million donated by the athletic department is peanuts compared the to what the academic side receives in grants and that includes the med center. I guess I would prefer research money for the advancement in medical and job creation for the economy over getting upset over not being able to play some small college in Tennessee in a football game.

Reactions: nu2u
When push comes to shove, the athletic department will understand the reality that they are a part of the university and without it there is no reason for having athletics. They $10 million donated by the athletic department is peanuts compared the to what the academic side receives in grants and that includes the med center. I guess I would prefer research money for the advancement in medical and job creation for the economy over getting upset over not being able to play some small college in Tennessee in a football game.
You can get pushed around, but I'd rather push back. Make those turds think twice the next time they try to screw us over. University presidents would prefer to stay anonymous I suspect. I prefer that their corruption and incompetence be brought into the light. The stupid presidents acted politically and not in the best interest of the student-athletes and fans who send their children to said universities. Nebraska football is worth 60 to 100 million dollars to the city of Lincoln and the university.

You can get pushed around, but I'd rather push back. Make those turds think twice the next time they try to screw us over. University presidents would prefer to stay anonymous I suspect. I prefer that their corruption and incompetence be brought into the light. The stupid presidents acted politically and not in the best interest of the student-athletes and fans who send their children to said universities. Nebraska football is worth 60 to 100 million dollars to the city of Lincoln and the university.
Pushing back against the B10 administration and university presidents is fine but threatening to leave the Big Ten will only induce belly laughter.

Reactions: Red I 73

Sir, a truly MASSIVE under-statement.

Pushing back against the B10 administration and university presidents is fine but threatening to leave the Big Ten will only induce belly laughter.
I get that and am nowhere near advocating we leave. I think we're on the cusp of having very good football and basketball teams at the same time. Let's start winning and the rest is academic as they say

CU fans identify with the left coast. That's where they fit. We belong with the Kansas teams, okies, iowa st and missouri.

Unfortunately big tv money rules the day.

I noticed you did not include one Texas school. I loved the old Big 8. Still like to watch those schools play. There is no way an eight team conference would survive in today's world and so the Big 8 will never comeback. As much as Nebraska identifies itself with the old Big 8 schools I don't think it is a good fit with Texas schools.

I noticed you did not include one Texas school. I loved the old Big 8. Still like to watch those schools play. There is no way an eight team conference would survive in today's world and so the Big 8 will never comeback. As much as Nebraska identifies itself with the old Big 8 schools I don't think it is a good fit with Texas schools.
Yeah, that was by design. I wasnt interested in those Texas games. They felt like meaningless games, similar to playing Rutgers or Maryland now. We had 100 Years of tradition against some of the old big eight teams. We are still in the same footprint geographically. It sucks that all went away

I honestly think we are a pretty good fit with both the Big 12 and Big 10, especially the west division teams, and even the Michigan schools. I do get tired of hearing how our fans are being whiny. We don't want to be treated special. What we want is to be treated FAIRLY. That has not been the case with the administration and some of the member schools. There is no common sense in this conference, and they are certainly not looking out for the best interests of the student-athletes or most of the east would have been kicked out already.

Reactions: Wasker77

Guy makes some points. I've said it to friends many times, to this day, I can still be entertained by a KSU-Oklahoma State game and we aren't even in their conference. A Maryland-Minnesota game does absolutely nothing for me. I don't even hate Iowa, OSU, Wisky even though they have owned us recently...but CU, I could get behind that dislike.
I believe MIssouri is also out of place!

I honestly think we are a pretty good fit with both the Big 12 and Big 10, especially the west division teams, and even the Michigan schools. I do get tired of hearing how our fans are being whiny. We don't want to be treated special. What we want is to be treated FAIRLY. That has not been the case with the administration and some of the member schools. There is no common sense in this conference, and they are certainly not looking out for the best interests of the student-athletes or most of the east would have been kicked out already.
Shantel has a good article in today's OWH about this subject. As he points out in conclusion we have three options. Put up with it and fall in line. Leave. WIN as we were supposed to do. Nebraska's not holding up their end by not winning.
It seemed like Nebraska has always wanted to be independent and act on its own even in the Big 12 and Big 8. We blamed Texas for ruining our Big 12 experience and then the rest of the Big 12 for siding with Texas. Do you see a pattern here?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT