ADVERTISEMENT

Kinda interesting trivia from Sipple in his column today!

mgbreis

Defensive Coordinator
Dec 16, 2004
According to Sipple:

"* Here's something you perhaps didn't know: One of NU baseball coach Will Bolt's freshman starters, infielder Brice Matthews, was the starting quarterback for his high school, Atascocita, in the Houston area. In fact, he made the 2019 Texas Associated Press Sports Editors Class 6A all-state team.
The right-handed gunslinger finished his senior season 233-of-372 passing for 4,001 yards and 43 touchdowns, with 12 interceptions, while adding 108 carries for 744 yards and 11 scores.

Just a little something to file away."

Not too shabby! I think we should start a movement on this board that the best QB on campus is on the baseball team. Seems like something that is in our wheelhouse! (sarcasm)

According to Sipple:

"* Here's something you perhaps didn't know: One of NU baseball coach Will Bolt's freshman starters, infielder Brice Matthews, was the starting quarterback for his high school, Atascocita, in the Houston area. In fact, he made the 2019 Texas Associated Press Sports Editors Class 6A all-state team.
The right-handed gunslinger finished his senior season 233-of-372 passing for 4,001 yards and 43 touchdowns, with 12 interceptions, while adding 108 carries for 744 yards and 11 scores.

Not too shabby! I think we should start a movement on this board that the best QB on campus is on the baseball team. Seems like something that is in our wheelhouse! (sarcasm)
Playing qb in high school and baseball in college should tell you something.

According to Sipple:

so, Will Bolt has a better QB room than Frost! Nice.

That he's a great athlete?
He could very well be a great athlete.
On the other hand,, I have seen several high school qbs who had no business playing QB.
So get what you are referring to and lets hope he turns out to be a very good one for the Baseball team.

On the other hand,, I have seen several high school qbs who had no business playing QB.
So get what you are referring to and lets hope he turns out to be a very good one for the Baseball team.
Did you read the stats in my OP? Does that sound like someone who has no business playing QB? But keep digging.

Lol 43 tds... in 6a Texas ball. No business playing qb. Fans like you are frost enablers. Part of the problem.

According to Sipple:

What a brilliant post. He was all-state in Texas' largest class. You think he couldn't have played college football if he wanted to? Try harder.
Lol 43 tds... in 6a Texas ball. No business playing qb. Fans like you are frost enablers. Part of the problem.

Matthews only had football scholarship offers to play QB from the D2 schools in Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas. I think Matthews could've opened up some scholarship options at the D1 level had he decided to move positions.

But he is not a D1 Caliber QB.

Oh... and there are lot of former Texas HS legends who went on to play D2 football. Shit, just this year, there is a kid out of El Paso, who set all kinds of passing records in 5A. He signed with an NAIA school in Kansas.

Matthews was always going to play baseball in college. He is a bit of a skinny kid at 5'10 and 170. From what I understand, he never really pursued football scholarships and his coaches never really pushed the issue.

There is no doubt in my mind that he could play at a D1 level, he just didn't love football like he did baseball.

Matthews was always going to play baseball in college. He is a bit of a skinny kid at 5'10 and 170. From what I understand, he never really pursued football scholarships and his coaches never really pushed the issue.

There is no doubt in my mind that he could play at a D1 level, he just didn't love football like he did baseball.
I was hoping you'd chime in, I figured you probably had some insight on him. Baseball is my favorite sport and the only one my boys play, so he chose correctly! I can't wait to sit in the stands in a full Haymarket Park and watch him play.

According to Sipple:

Here is his NU baseball bio. He is listed as 6' 0", 175 lbs. If he was a couple inches taller and 25-30 lbs heavier, then yes, College Football may have been his avenue. And, we dont know his arm strength or passion / interest for the game of football vs baseball. Couldnt have had a weak arm to have had all that success. If he was focused on football, he would have no doubt hit the weights and be up to 200+ by now. So, seems by outside observation that baseball is his thing.
NU Baseball bio for Brice Matthews

Reactions: mgbreis
Here is his NU baseball bio. He is listed as 6' 0", 175 lbs. If he was a couple inches taller and 25-30 lbs heavier, then yes, College Football may have been his avenue. And, we dont know his arm strength or passion / interest for the game of football vs baseball. Couldnt have had a weak arm to have had all that success. If he was focused on football, he would have no doubt hit the weights and be up to 200+ by now. So, seems by outside observation that baseball is his thing.
NU Baseball bio for Brice Matthews
Just a fun conversation starter from Sipple. His dream is to play in the MLB. I heard from some guys named Bubba Starling, Monte Harrison and Carl Crawford that some people prefer baseball (and huge contracts).

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Now don't get me wrong, McKenzie Milton is not much bigger than Matthews so I am not sure that size was the issue. I will say, he isn't 6' tall and probably doesn't weigh 175 lbs.

When choosing between baseball and football, and longevity is the reason why, baseball always wins.

From what I can remember, arm strength wasn't really an issue.

Now don't get me wrong, McKenzie Milton is not much bigger than Matthews so I am not sure that size was the issue. I will say, he isn't 6' tall and probably doesn't weigh 175 lbs.

When choosing between baseball and football, and longevity is the reason why, baseball always wins.

From what I can remember, arm strength wasn't really an issue.
He's basically Noah Vedral with a better arm and better passing stats....:)

Matthews only had football scholarship offers to play QB from the D2 schools in Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas. I think Matthews could've opened up some scholarship options at the D1 level had he decided to move positions.

Oh... and there are lot of former Texas HS legends who went on to play D2 football. Shit, just this year, there is a kid out of El Paso, who set all kinds of passing records in 5A. He signed with an NAIA school in Kansas.
Oh you never know. But what are you saying?

Like I said. If he were that great he would be playing QB somewhere on Saturdays
Don't be fooled.
You mean like Bubba Starling? What was the name of the other QB who was committed to NU and ended up a MLB all star outfielder? Oh yeah Crawford. Yeah, I think there's a gaping hole in your statement.

Reactions: stucknks
You mean like Bubba Starling? What was the name of the other QB who was committed to NU and ended up a MLB all star outfielder? Oh yeah Crawford. Yeah, I think there's a gaping hole in your statement.
Bubba Starling.....nobody knows if he makes it playing QB.
Good baseball player. Sure he is good, not great but indeed a good athlete.

We need a QB who can come in with a chip on his shoulder. A kid who will work and bulk up like the Gills, Crouch, Frazier.
We need a winner! A kid with a winning attitude and perhaps a slight cocky attitude. One who can pass and run.
There isn't that many out there who fits the bill.

So, he is smaller than the QB that left a month ago.
Just be careful making statements about a kid playing baseball who you say should be playing QB.
Crawford was in a whole different league! Everyone understands this!

Just be careful making statements about a kid playing baseball who you say should be playing QB.
Not a single person in this thread has said he "should" be playing QB. Not one. You're the one drawing the conclusion from the fact that he's playing D1 baseball he must not be capable of playing D1 football. Which, obviously is a dumb conclusion to reach.

I didn't say anything about he should be playing QB and I didn't compare him to Crawford.

I compared the height/weight of the player in question, from the linked profile, to Dylan McCaffrey (who left about a month ago) and said that the the player in questions was smaller that McCaffery. Implying that I thought he was too small to play QB in D1.

Maybe you quoted the wrong post.

Reactions: stucknks
Not a single person in this thread has said he "should" be playing QB. Not one. You're the one drawing the conclusion from the fact that he's playing D1 baseball he must not be capable of playing D1 football. Which, obviously is a dumb conclusion to reach.
Rest assured

I didn't say anything about he should be playing QB and I didn't compare him to Crawford.

I compared the height/weight of the player in question, from the linked profile, to Dylan McCaffrey (who left about a month ago) and said that the the player in questions was smaller that McCaffery. Implying that I thought he was too small to play QB in D1.

Maybe you quoted the wrong post.
I agree with your points! Good post.

RE D2 Texas legends... you are right. Dvorak from CSM should have went D1, but undersized. Go look at his stats and tell me it wouldn’t have translated to a better q than Cali soft.

Playing qb in high school and baseball in college should tell you something.
That he is a great athlete and smart enough to understand the life changing money comes faster this way if he's good enough. If he's not his body isn't shot in 8 years.

Reactions: Reditus
Agree with the above post.

He's got a much better chance of getting paid in baseball vs football after college and baseball is not as punishing on the joints&brain. Looks like he's off to a great start as a Husker. I really like his range on defense. Good player. Glad he's a Husker.

I do think Bubba could of been a great QB but it's hard to pass up on 7.5 million when your that age, along with a better chance of staying healthy. I'm a royals fan but I wasn't that day. They stole him away. Wish we could of saw Crawford play as a Husker, and Monte Harrison too!

Future Husker baseball commit Chase Mason, I think is a guy, if the MLB draft doesn't get him and if he doesn't develop into a hitter at Nebraska and decides not too pitch as well, could play a little football as a backup plan. Not sure what position but he's got some strength to go with some athletic ability. (QB?WR?LB?) Regardless, I want to see if he can hit some HR's for the Big Red so hands off and back to the subject at hand Matthews is doing great right where he is!

Last edited:
Reactions: saluno22
Pretty sure you need to be at least 6'4 and 225 to be an effective QB.

Russell Wilson and Kyler Murray should have stuck to baseball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT