ADVERTISEMENT

Kind of an odd situation going on at TCU

Totally fair for Patterson to call out players of all races about the use of that word...ending in the hard er or a.....that being said he certainly could have called him out privately without actually using the word himself. A white man in a position of authority will always have to be delicate when dealing with the use of this word by black players.

But if some black buddies are talking and a White friend of their’s and came up to them and Says “ ha n- - - a’s what’s happening”

Is this acceptable? Where do you (they) draw the line ?

But if some black buddies are talking and a White friend of their’s and came up to them and Says “ ha n- - - a’s what’s happening”

Honestly as someone that has a lot of black friends these situations happen all the time... I don’t think I can count how many times my friends have said what’s up my N***** to me using either the a or the ER at the end... I know for me no matter how close I’ve been with some of them Ive never said it back it’s a simple what’s up.. and left at that so i think it’s all just a personal preference...

I personally think the word has way too much derogatory meaning to be used as a sort of enduring term to be used within a group, words should not be ok to used by some but bad by others... they are either offensive or not, and that particular word is offensive either way you cut it because of the historical value of it.

If he respects them in the least he shouldn't say it at all. I deal with this in the classroom (when we actually had those) but it's 13 year Olds who don't grasp the history of that word. In that particular situation I would think that they would have checked him on the use of it so that it wouldn't happen again. If they didn't then ones comfort using that word in mixed company will eventually lead to someone making sure that it's not used again. I show the episode of Blackish in class that deals with the use of the word

Nope, not acceptable. White people should not be saying the N word, not even the "a" version.

Reactions: scarletred
I think Patterson should have outed him on social media and doxed him and then kicked him off the team. Fair is fair. #cancerculturerules!!!

....mostly kidding

If he respects them in the least he shouldn't say it at all. I deal with this in the classroom (when we actually had those) but it's 13 year Olds who don't grasp the history of that word. In that particular situation I would think that they would have checked him on the use of it so that it wouldn't happen again. If they didn't then ones comfort using that word in mixed company will eventually lead to someone making sure that it's not used again. I show the episode of Blackish in class that deals with the use of the word

Reactions: HuskerO
Nope, not acceptable. White people should not be saying the N word, not even the "a" version.
Nobody should use the word. Black people perpetuate division by casually using a word that is for some reason a Cardinal sin when uttered by someone of a different skin color. Its "their word". B.S. Either its offensive, or it isnt. Let's call a spade a spade.

What I find most interesting is the early playing time comment. Sounds like that's why he chose TCU.

Yep, sounds like the kid that spends $300 his first time at the t!t joint because he’s convinced the stripper is in love with him.

Then he’s actually surprised and takes it out on everyone else the next day when he finds out she gave him a fake number.

Nobody should use the word. Black people perpetuate division by casually using a word that is for some reason a Cardinal sin when uttered by someone of a different skin color. Its "their word". B.S. Either its offensive, or it isnt. Let's call a spade a spade.
We shouldn't call people spades either. :Cool:

I'm fine with POC making it their word. Not much different from gay people calling each other "f@g", but it's not a word straight people should use.

I'm fine with POC making it their word. Not much different from gay people calling each other "f@g", but it's not a word straight people should use.
POC shouldn't call white people "crackers" and gay people shouldn't call straight people "breeders"

Reactions: OzzyLvr

Gay people call eachother fag endearingly? Read up on "call a spade a spade". Not a directive at anybody. It's only offensive if a white guy says it? Give me a break. SJW'S like you think you positively impact the social climate, when division is usually the end result. How can someone call their father, grandfather and close friends nigga, than lose their mind if a white person endearingly reflects their behavior and culture back to them? Either it hurts and evokes slavery when uttered, or it's a heavily used, casual word that fills black movies, music, cartoons, sports you name it. Evil is evil no matter who does it. Is it evil or not? Never heard of gay people endearingly referring to one another as fags.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Gay people call each other fag endearingly?
Yep. You need to get out more.

Read up on "call a spade a spade". Not a directive at anybody. It's only offensive if a white guy says it? Give me a break.
I'm familiar with the phrase, that little emoji thing was supposed to indicate my comment was in jest.

SJW'S like you think you positively impact the social climate, when division is usually the end result.
SJW? That's laughable, you don't know a freakin' thing about me.

Yep. You need to get out more.

I'm familiar with the phrase, that little emoji thing was supposed to indicate my comment was in jest.

SJW? That's laughable, you don't know a freakin' thing about me.
You say POC my friend. And i suppose a small amount of gay people may call eachother fags, but entire black families and vast majority of black people in general use the word endearingly. Not even close to comparable with the small fraction of gays using fag endearingly.

You say POC my friend. And i suppose a small amount of gay people may call eachother fags, but entire black families and vast majority of black people in general use the word endearingly. Not even close to comparable with the small fraction of gays using fag endearingly.
Are you saying that using the term "POC" makes a person a SJW?

First you've never heard of gays using the term endearingly, and now "I suppose a small amount of gay people may call each other fags". Hmmm... The numbers don't even matter, my point was that it's a similar concept.

It seems we agree that white people shouldn't use the n word, and straight people shouldn't use the f word. I guess as a white, straight person, I don't think it's may place to decide what people of another race or sexual orientation call themselves or each other. If they want to co-opt words that are considered offensive for me to use, I don't care.

Reactions: headcard
Are you saying that using the term "POC" makes a person a SJW?

First you've never heard of gays using the term endearingly, and now "I suppose a small amount of gay people may call each other fags". Hmmm... The numbers don't even matter, my point was that it's a similar concept.

It seems we agree that white people shouldn't use the n word, and straight people shouldn't use the f word. I guess as a white, straight person, I don't think it's may place to decide what people of another race or sexual orientation call themselves or each other. If they want to co-opt words that are considered offensive for me to use, I don't care.
Either all can say those WORDS or none. I think the widespread embedding of saying nigga amongst blacks (toddlers on up to elders, men and women) is apple's to oranges with fringe radical gays (blue hair and drag)that use derogatory terms toward eachother. "POC" lumps every non white into one little convenient group for you to pander to and defend. It is a divisive term.

Your stances and terminology point me toward believing you are a "Politically Correct " individual that believes you are in a position to defend groups you feel cant defend themselves. You believe they should be able to use words others can't. I want a level playing field where we quit trying to interject race/sexual identity as a justifying condition.

Reactions: RedMyMind
I guess as a white, straight person, I don't think it's may place to decide what people of another race or sexual orientation call themselves or each other. If they want to co-opt words that are considered offensive for me to use, I don't care.
This concerns me. Logic and common sense transcend your color, gender and sexual preference.

Either all can say those WORDS or none. I think the widespread embedding of saying nigga amongst blacks (toddlers on up to elders, men and women) is apple's to oranges with fringe radical gays (blue hair and drag)that use derogatory terms toward eachother. "POC" lumps every non white into one little convenient group for you to pander to and defend. It is a divisive term.

Either all can say those WORDS or none.

You don't get to decide that.

is apple's to oranges with fringe radical gays (blue hair and drag)that use derogatory terms toward eachother.

You're funny. First you never heard gays used the term, then it's a very small portion, now it just the "fringe radical gays". Just stop dude, you're making things up.

"POC" lumps every non white into one little convenient group for you to pander to and defend. It is a divisive term.

Now you just sound like a crazy old racist white guy.

You don't get to decide that.

You're funny. First you never heard gays used the term, then it's a very small portion, now it just the "fringe radical gays". Just stop dude, you're making things up.

Now you just sound like a crazy old racist white guy.
Gotcha bud. Keep fighting the good fight of racial division, by lower expectations. Condemn offensive words by one race but dont apply the same logic to another.

Reactions: baseball31ne
"People of color” is a term primarily used in the United States and Canada to describe any person who is not white. It does not solely refer to African-Americans; rather, it encompasses all non-white groups and emphasizes the common experiences of systemic racism,"

Gotcha bud. Keep fighting the good fight of racial division, by lower expectations. Condemn offensive words by one race but dont apply the same logic to another.
There are ALWAYS going to be "groups" (race, sexual orientation, countries, states, families, religions, civic groups, sports teams, book clubs, whatever). It's impossible to erase all of those boundaries. What happens within a group might be considered perfectly acceptable among the members, but if someone outside of the group says or does it, there could be problems. I don't consider it divisive to respect a group's right to have their own customs, words, etc.

Last edited:
There are ALWAYS going to be "groups" (race, sexual orientation, countries, states, families, religions, civic groups, sports teams, book clubs, whatever). It's impossible to erase all of those boundaries. What happens within a group might be considered perfectly acceptable among the members, but if someone outside of the group says or does it, there could be problems. I don't consider it divisive to respect a group's right have their own customs, words, etc.
I suppose I consider both sides. You consider the needs of the small groups and I view society more inclusively. At the end of the day, treat others the way you want to be treated. That includes calling people nigga.

Reactions: baseball31ne
I suppose I consider both sides. You consider the needs of the small groups and I view society more inclusively. At the end of the day, treat others the way you want to be treated. That includes calling people nigga.
I do think we need to consider the needs of groups, no matter what the size, and the groups need to respect each other as collectively they comprise and are part of the same society.

At the end of the day, treat others the way you want to be treated.

Definitely. I consider myself a golden rule kind of person.

I do think we need to consider the needs of groups, no matter what the size, and the groups need to respect each other as collectively they comprise and are part of the same society.

Definitely. I consider myself a golden rule kind of person.
I would enjoy in person dialogues with folks like yourself that share some principle values but maybe differ in issue sorting techniques (conscious or not). I come off far more abrasive in a forum setting than in person I'm sure, I dont see trouble with you're concerns of the small groups, but I hope you value the contrast that prevents those small groups from hindred growth through coddling, or low expectations more accurately. And I dont mean through hate rhetoric, but simply viewing them as equal and to the same standards.

I'm not allowed to publicly state that the issues with the black community in america starts with black moms and dads.

This is all very confusing but not sure how to figure it out. When my wife is in a good mood I can grab her ass and say what's up slut? When she she's in a bad mood I wouldn't want to be within 10 feet if I called her a slut or bi***.

So maybe I live a double standard too.

This is all very confusing but not sure how to figure it out. When my wife is in a good mood I can grab her ass and say what's up slut? When she she's in a bad mood I wouldn't want to be within 10 feet if I called her a slut or bi***.

So maybe I live a double standard too.

probably the biggest difference that at no time are you grabbing your wife's ass and saying what's up slut in front of a large group of people, good mood or bad.

Reactions: scarletred
ADVERTISEMENT