Kim Mulkey had it right…NC State got reamed

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskerdrb

Sophomore
Gold Member
Feb 3, 2004
Piney woods of East Texas
Wouldn't it be a shame to keep COVID testing and then you got kids that end up having tested positive or something, and they don't get to play in the Final Four, so you need to just forget the COVID tests and let the four teams that are playing in each Final Four, go battle it out," she said.

Im sure you read someone highly qualified to debunk that study but it seems in some circles the data still holds credence. But we all know the Big Heart agenda.

https://www.heart.org/en/news/2021/...ation-put-your-covid-19-vaccine-plans-on-hold

Although the data is still coming in on apparent myocarditis following the COVID-19 vaccine, CDC numbers through late May estimated that 16 cases of myocarditis or pericarditis would be reported for every million second doses given to people ages 16 to 39. That works out to 0.0016%, or roughly 1 in 62,000.

By contrast, de Lemos said the best studies on college athletes put the chances of a young person getting myocarditis after COVID-19 at between 1% and 3%. That's roughly 1 in 50.

So, a young person's risk of myocarditis "is much higher if they get COVID than it is if they get vaccinated," de Lemos said.”

I’m not sure my opinion on concussions matters regarding the topic discussed.

Reactions: salsa red
Im sure you read someone highly qualified to debunk that study but it seems in some circles the data still holds credence. But we all know the Big Heart agenda.

https://www.heart.org/en/news/2021/...ation-put-your-covid-19-vaccine-plans-on-hold

Although the data is still coming in on apparent myocarditis following the COVID-19 vaccine, CDC numbers through late May estimated that 16 cases of myocarditis or pericarditis would be reported for every million second doses given to people ages 16 to 39. That works out to 0.0016%, or roughly 1 in 62,000.

By contrast, de Lemos said the best studies on college athletes put the chances of a young person getting myocarditis after COVID-19 at between 1% and 3%. That's roughly 1 in 50.

So, a young person's risk of myocarditis "is much higher if they get COVID than it is if they get vaccinated," de Lemos said.”

Why? Concussions are a much bigger risk than COVID for athletes.. Fear mongering is wearing off for most, but you’re having a hard time letting go. How many handles does this now make for you?

Why? Concussions are a much bigger risk than COVID for athletes.. Fear mongering is wearing off for most, but you’re having a hard time letting go. How many handles does this now make for you?
Because we are talking about a covid policy and not concussion policy.
I asked what level of risk others were willing to accept with athletes playing with heart inflammation if we are willing to let covid run it’s course in that population. Other than claiming the data is false, nobody has responded.

If you really care about my opinion on concussions - I am very concerned about them and the toll they take later in life. Not sure what that has to do with this topic. I also have no idea what you mean by handles.

I asked what level of risk others were willing to accept with athletes playing with heart inflammation if we are willing to let covid run it’s course in that population. Other than claiming the data is false, nobody has responded.

If you really care about my opinion on concussions - I am very concerned about them and the toll they take later in life. Not sure what that has to do with this topic. I also have no idea what you mean by handles.

I think athletes should be given all the facts and data (even if some contradict each other), and let them make their own decisions. I know you like to decide what’s best for others, but athletes should make their own choices.

Don’t play coy.. you know what handles are. You are up to at least three.

Here’s some additional info…

https://www.tctmd.com/news/true-myocarditis-uncommon-covid-19-review-concludes

Yeah I’m all for people making their own decisions but policies are geared towards the collective. I don’t wear a mask out and about because I am vaccinated and I am not concerned about my exposure, but when I work I wear a surgical mask because it is mandatory. If I am infected and somehow a vector for transmission I do not want to pass it on to one of my patients who may be vulnerable or unable to vaccinate. I am fine with these policies in place to protect others from me. It is far from fear mongering.

That link you sent is completely in line with the one I posted. Your article says heart inflammation occurs in less than 5% and my article which was posted three days ago states that it is closer to 2%. That is not insignificant and I think if you let infected players exert themselves physically you are putting them at risk of heart related incident. I’m not a cardiologist so I can’t say what kind of risks this presents but I assume some of the policy you see today is driven by this data.

As for the multiple handles - I really think you overestimate the amount of free time and care that I have. But that’s fine.

Seems to me that if you are sick, like any other time in life (except for Michael Jordan), you don’t play until you are well. Baseball is outdoors with limited contact with the other team or fans. There have been so many false positives with the tests. One day you are positive next day clear. There should have been way more flexibility with baseball, and NC State should have been able to play if they had minimum number of players. The games could have been postponed until it got sorted out. TV has been flexible all Covid long, so they could have accommodated this.

Not sure who to trust at this point. Epidemiologists and immunologists or politicians and radio talk show hosts. I go back and forth on it.

Yeah I’m all for people making their own decisions but policies are geared towards the collective. I don’t wear a mask out and about because I am vaccinated and I am not concerned about my exposure, but when I work I wear a surgical mask because it is mandatory. If I am infected and somehow a vector for transmission I do not want to pass it on to one of my patients who may be vulnerable or unable to vaccinate. I am fine with these policies in place to protect others from me. It is far from fear mongering.

That link you sent is completely in line with the one I posted. Your article says heart inflammation occurs in less than 5% and my article which was posted three days ago states that it is closer to 2%. That is not insignificant and I think if you let infected players exert themselves physically you are putting them at risk of heart related incident. I’m not a cardiologist so I can’t say what kind of risks this presents but I assume some of the policy you see today is driven by this data.

As for the multiple handles - I really think you overestimate the amount of free time and care that I have. But that’s fine.

So are you ok with players making their own decisions or not? You are speaking out of both sides of your mouth.

Reactions: Vleny

the policy is outdated (by 12 months) and was created by hand-wringing pussies like you

So are you ok with players making their own decisions or not? You are speaking out of both sides of your mouth.
Are you ok with answering my original question rather than just repeatedly asking me questions in return?

I accept the nuances of life in these circumstances. OSHA exists to mitigate illness and injury to hazardous workplace conditions and practices. It does not entirely reduce risk to zero for many occupations. Policies are implemented and individual choice follows. An individual has the choice to disregard policy but they aren’t immune of consequences of those actions.

The NCAA made a policy regarding COVID at the advice of knowledgeable doctors and lawyers. I’m sure this wasn’t an easy job and I’d bet there was some scale of opinion before the concluded result. After such, the participants have their ability to make personal decisions regarding risk and consequence. That is what is playing out, unfortunately, for NCState.

There is some difference between a communicable illness like COVID and a long term sequelae of concussions such as progressive neurological degeneration. The overlap and existence is real (though I’m not sure that CTE is a greater risk than COVID at this point). But the policy difference is probably a greater reflection of accountability estimation of those in charge. Do you think Mark Emmert is more concerned with someone having a heart attack on the field tomorrow or someone’s mental state in middle age, 20 years from now?

Are you ok with answering my original question rather than just repeatedly asking me questions in return?

I accept the nuances of life in these circumstances. OSHA exists to mitigate illness and injury to hazardous workplace conditions and practices. It does not entirely reduce risk to zero for many occupations. Policies are implemented and individual choice follows. An individual has the choice to disregard policy but they aren’t immune of consequences of those actions.

The NCAA made a policy regarding COVID at the advice of knowledgeable doctors and lawyers. I’m sure this wasn’t an easy job and I’d bet there was some scale of opinion before the concluded result. After such, the participants have their ability to make personal decisions regarding risk and consequence. That is what is playing out, unfortunately, for NCState.

There is some difference between a communicable illness like COVID and a long term sequelae of concussions such as progressive neurological degeneration. The overlap and existence is real (though I’m not sure that CTE is a greater risk than COVID at this point). But the policy difference is probably a greater reflection of accountability estimation of those in charge. Do you think Mark Emmert is more concerned with someone having a heart attack on the field tomorrow or someone’s mental state in middle age, 20 years from now?

I did answer your original question. Athletes should decide.

I hoped you stretched, because these are some impressive mental gymnastics you are performing.

Eh I just love challenging the beliefs of partisan hacks on either side in my spare time. Truth is usually somewhere in the middle so the extremes are always easy to piss off. Most of the complainers here just happen to be red. I really don’t know this Cap fellow, but if he is under your skin I’d buy him a drink.

Eh I just love challenging the beliefs of partisan hacks on either side in my spare time. Truth is usually somewhere in the middle so the extremes are always easy to piss off. Most of the complainers here just happen to be red. I really don’t know this Cap fellow, but if he is under your skin I’d buy him a drink.
Lame. So go buy yourself a drink goober.

The fact that anyone is continuing to listen to the "experts" and all these restrictions and testing they are doing is proof positive that they either did not read or did not understand the moral of The Boy Who Cried Wolf.

I think these players should sue the NCAA for being robbed of life experiences.

Cowards all.

The fact that anyone is continuing to listen to the "experts" and all these restrictions and testing they are doing is proof positive that they either did not read or did not understand the moral of The Boy Who Cried Wolf.

I think these players should sue the NCAA for being robbed of life experiences.

Cowards all.

did 600,000 people die when the original boy cried wolf????? Please read up on what’s happening in Springfield , Missouri, and other areas with low vaccination rates. Rip on the NCAA all you want (they deserve it). But don’t act like you know even a small percentage about covid vs the actual experts.

did 600,000 people die when the original boy cried wolf????? Please read up on what’s happening in Springfield , Missouri, and other areas with low vaccination rates. Rip on the NCAA all you want (they deserve it). But don’t act like you know even a small percentage about covid vs the actual experts.
You're pathetic

I mean you sound like you have a PhD in the school of hard knocks so why wouldn’t we trust your opinion.

Here is how it should work.

If a player tests positive and still wants to play and all his teammates and the team he is playing against are okay with it, then he should get to play.

That is it. It should be the choice of the player and players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT