ADVERTISEMENT

Keys to beating Iowa

Our chances of beating Iowa are slim. I give us only about a 10% chance of winning. As I say in a post above, the key is our defense has to stop the run. But I highly doubt we will do that. My guess is Iowa will constantly be in 2nd and 3 mode. Our offense, therefore, is going to have to keep up. But so far this year they have shown no sign of being able to do that. Iowa is peaking right now and they have a solid defense and a solid offense. And the pysche of our team has to be very fragile right now. If we get down by a couple of TD's early we will probably get blown out big time. This game could get very ugly very fast.

You want to beat Iowa then do it the same way Purdue and NW did. Use the hurry up offense. Iowa defense softens up after it gets gassed.

Reactions: headcard
Let’s move on from last weeks debable. What must be done to beat Iowa?
I’d say to have a strong running game. Is Mills going to be back?
Frost has got to have the stones to throw the ball downfield. Otherwise this gamr is going to be our quarterback running for his life trying to pick up first downs. Throw in a handful of turnovers and well be left crying in our beer

Cam was progressing nicely until he reaggrevated his foot again. That kid/guy cant stay 100%.

As far as the Betts sweep, AT LEAST motion him and fake it to open up something else.

Can we move Cam to guard permanently? I can’t take 2 more years of high snaps. I’d say let Cam rotate with Farniok and Piper. Let Lil Farniok take the center reins.

Maybe that transfer receiver brought his playbook with him so we know their calls

Develop an attitude that "losing is not an acceptable outcome" ... and fast.

Reactions: c3o
Stop trying to be a tempo driven scheme with such an aggressive defense.

Play old school defense where you make the other team earn every yard, the entire length of the field.

Play old school offense where you hand the ball off 40+ times a game.

Use a center than can snap the ball.

Grind for 60 minutes.

Not better than Northwestern and Wisconsin..
i believe he said 'as well as', which is hard to dispute. They in some respects let NW off the hook with woeful second half TOs in a 1 point game. NW v Iowa 10 times would go the other way often. Big Red must play clean - Iowa can do some things to opponents that NW can't easily do b/c of caliber of offensive RBs/ WRs/TEs while both will make it really hard for any opponent to move the ball to the goal line.

Last edited:
About the only way it isn't just a complete stomping is hoping that all the Iowa players have to sit out the game due to Covid Protocols and Nebraska can garner either a forfeit or Iowa chooses to replace it's football team with some fill in's from the local high school teams. Even then, I'm not sure with our junior high defense that we could stop them, but it would at least have a chance of being close.

Iowa in a rout.

Nebraska needs to win the turnover battle. If they do this it should mean we are playing good complimentary football. This is what will keep us in the game for 4 quarters. If we are a few possessions to the negative it doesn’t bode well for the scoreboard.

We also need to capitalize big time on Iowa’s mistakes. They don’t make many. When they do, it really needs to bite them.

1. Don't fumble deep in your own territory on the first play of the game.
2. Maybe just consider having fewer than 3 false starts on 3rd and short
3. Just spitballing here, but maybe run something other than QB draws on 3rd and long
3a. And no, I wasn't talking about swing passes.
4. Any time Iowa has 3rd and long, maybe draw up something besides playing soft coverage and zero pass rush.

I know I'm asking for a lot.

1. Don't fumble deep in your own territory on the first play of the game.
2. Maybe just consider having fewer than 3 false starts on 3rd and short
3. Just spitballing here, but maybe run something other than QB draws on 3rd and long
4. Any time Iowa has 3rd and long, maybe draw up something besides playing soft coverage and zero pass rush.

Should we go full strength on punts too?

Reactions: mgbreis
i believe he said 'as well as', which is hard to dispute. They in some respects let NW off the hook with woeful second half TOs in a 1 point game. NW v Iowa 10 times would go the other way often. Big Red must play clean - Iowa can do some things to opponents that NW can't easily do b/c of caliber of offensive RBs/ WRs/TEs while both will make it really hard for any opponent to move the ball to the goal line.
Iowa's QB is bad.

After seeing our passing game, perhaps we should just stay out of third and long all together.

Reactions: TFrazier
I will take the opposite angle and tell you how you beat Iowa from an Iowa fan.

On D:
Load the box on the run and stunt your LBs.
Play zone coverage and mix it up with blitzes but bring people all day long. Our QB does not handle getting flushed from the pocket well and has made some really bad decisions here and there. Bracket LaPorta as Petras usually tries to force it to him.

On O;
Spread the field and run McCaffery over and over mixed with long shots down the field and hope you hit a couple.
Will have to be accurate with short passing and hitting the corner route over the LB/Corner and the Safety. That is the soft spot in our D that Purdue has mastered hitting against us.

On D:
Play zone coverage and mix it up with blitzes but bring people all day long. Our QB does not handle getting flushed from the pocket well and has made some really bad decisions here and there. Bracket LaPorta as Petras usually tries to force it to him.

On O;
Spread the field and run McCaffery over and over mixed with long shots down the field and hope you hit a couple.
Will have to be accurate with short passing and hitting the corner route over the LB/Corner and the Safety. That is the soft spot in our D that Purdue has mastered hitting against us.

This is the best post I have seen from an Iowa fan on this board in a long time, maybe ever. Appreciate the take, amigo.

We're going to have to stop the run! If we can't stop or at least slow that down, we're toast! Everything else that they do revolves around the stretch play!

On D:

On O;
Small thing, and my friends here in Iowa City make the same mistake, BUT it's "McCaffrey" not "McCaffery," like your basketball coach and half his team.

On D:

On O;
this is accurate but treasonous.

Speaking of stoping the run:

tenor.png

I find this thread interesting for several reasons. One, it makes light of recent Husker ineptness. Second and most of all, the high praise for Iowa when the talk on this board by many was how down they would be with a new QB and losing so many to the draft. Guess they are now a team that doesn't rebuild but reloads - not to imply they are NC caliber.

Last edited:
Reactions: cecilB
1. Hit open receivers
2. Not call so many swing passes or qb draws on 3rd and 17.
4. Take 6-10 shots downfield
5. No dumb penalties.
6. don’t give up fake punts
7. Fire Chinander

Reactions: bshirt73
I find this thread interesting for several reasons. One, one it makes light of recent Husker ineptness. Second and most of all, the high praise for Iowa when the talk on this board by many was how down they would be with a new QB and losing so many to the draft. Guess they are now a team that doesn't rebuild but reloads - not to imply they are NC caliber.
I mean they have already lost to NW and Purdue. Reloading indeed.

PU and NW scored 24 and 21 not because they gassed the iowa d with uptempo O. Iowa’s inept offense and miscues did much of the damage.

They didn't score a lot but they were grinding it out. If you didn't see that the Iowa D was gassed then you weren't paying attention. Losing Doyle has impacted this team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT