Blueprint for beating Iowa:

1. Don’t beat yourself...
2. Stop the run
3. Control time of possession
4. Force turnovers and win field position
5. DONT FORGET - Score more points than IOWA LOL

You forgot one pretty important one..
Win 2 out of 3 fazes on special teams

Definitely need to hold our own on both sides of the line of scrimmage...

keys%20rainier_837925_ver1.0.JPG

Let’s move on from last weeks debable. What must be done to beat Iowa?
I’d say to have a strong running game. Is Mills going to be back?

On defense. I think it is all about stopping their running game and making them throw the ball. In the NW game they threw the ball over 50 times and looked pretty rough doing it. Petras had 3 INT's and could have had several more. That is the blueprint on defense, not sure we can actually do it. Honestly, I don't think we have to stop the running game completely, because I think Lil Farentz will go away from it if they aren't getting explosive plays. But we can't lose our lanes and give up big plays in the run game, like we have far too often.

On offense. Just don't turn the ball over. Iowa plays a field position game and sits back and waits for the other team to make more mistakes, which we love to do. We can't turn it over and give them short fields and free possessions.

If we show up to play. It doesn't take big things, like trick plays, drastic changes, etc. We just have to do these basic things we have struggled with far too often. If the defense can play similar to how it did in last years game and we can take care of the ball for once, it will go a long ways.

Grow a mustache.
That's a given.

Also, Friday is apparently grab ass day for the program, which might be problematic since it's gameday this week.

Hopefully someone in the program is details oriented enough to remember to move that activity up to today or tomorrow.

On defense. I think it is all about stopping their running game and making them throw the ball. In the NW game they threw the ball over 50 times and looked pretty rough doing it. Petras had 3 INT's and could have had several more. That is the blueprint on defense, not sure we can actually do it. Honestly, I don't think we have to stop the running game completely, because I think Lil Farentz will go away from it if they aren't getting explosive plays. But we can't lose our lanes and give up big plays in the run game, like we have far too often.

On offense. Just don't turn the ball over. Iowa plays a field position game and sits back and waits for the other team to make more mistakes, which we love to do. We can't turn it over and give them short fields and free possessions.

If we show up to play. It doesn't take big things, like trick plays, drastic changes, etc. We just have to do these basic things we have struggled with far too often. If the defense can play similar to how it did in last years game and we can take care of the ball for once, it will go a long ways.
Totally agree. Id like to add a few though. Control/Limit penalties. And dont let them kill momentum when they do occur. On offense, Id like to see us attack the 10-20 yard range in our passing attack. Pull the safeties out of the box a bit. If Martinez starts, we need Luke to play the same role he did against OSU. THAT is his best role. The swiss army knife. On a semi related note, is Mills back? I really wish we'd get more on the injury front from Scott, but oh well, his call.

On defense, you nailed it. Control the box, limit the run, make them pass. But then dont give up the big play either.

With Miller out for the season, who steps up in the Middle. We have Reimers and Honas, but then who? Hannah? Mauga-Clements? Snodgrass?

O

Reactions: headcard
Totally agree. Id like to add a few though. Control/Limit penalties. And dont let them kill momentum when they do occur. On offense, Id like to see us attack the 10-20 yard range in our passing attack. Pull the safeties out of the box a bit. If Martinez starts, we need Luke to play the same role he did against OSU. THAT is his best role. The swiss army knife. On a semi related note, is Mills back? I really wish we'd get more on the injury front from Scott, but oh well, his call.

On defense, you nailed it. Control the box, limit the run, make them pass. But then dont give up the big play either.

With Miller out for the season, who steps up in the Middle. We have Reimers and Honas, but then who? Hannah? Mauga-Clements? Snodgrass?

O

Hannah and Snodgrass were mentioned by Frost at the PC

Realistically we don't win. Assuming we can limit turnovers and penalties I think that keeps us in the game. But above all we need an offense. This team isn't built on defense. If we're relying on the D to shut down Iowa I think we've already lost. We have to score points, which we haven't done all year.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
1. Linebackers HAVE to come down hill. Cannot read and react on zone runs
2. Don't turn the ball over. Kirk has insane drop off when they lose the TO battle

Reactions: 3buzzmable
Just like all the previous contests, the team that wins the battle at the LOS will win the game. Watch the ground game for both and you will know fairly early.

One exception: turnovers. Multiple TOs ruin even the most masterful plans.

Yep. That sounds right to me.

1. Linebackers HAVE to come down hill. Cannot read and react on zone runs
2. Don't turn the ball over. Kirk has insane drop off when they lose the TO battle

Neither team can afford to lose the turnover battle, when either does they lose the game..

Reactions: onll2004
Did anyone actually watch Snodgrass in the game? We are extremely thin at the LB position, especially looking for playmakers.

We have been playing a high risk blitzing game and so far it has not worked. We stop teams on occasion and then they guess right on our blitz and coverage and just kill us with a big third down play. This D was supposed to get us the turnovers which it has not done.

Right now this team is not playing with confidence and will be short handed coming into the game which could be a big problem.

Did anyone actually watch Snodgrass in the game? We are extremely thin at the LB position, especially looking for playmakers.

We have been playing a high risk blitzing game and so far it has not worked. We stop teams on occasion and then they guess right on our blitz and coverage and just kill us with a big third down play. This D was supposed to get us the turnovers which it has not done.

Right now this team is not playing with confidence and will be short handed coming into the game which could be a big problem.
When the blitzing backer runs into the glob of offensive linemen it’s not a good scheme

We’ve got to figure out a way to score some points, and IMO that means playmakers have to be on the field. I’d like to see Wandale not in the backfield, he’s 185 and we need to get him in space. Figure out a way to get Betts the ball. That Jet sweep against Penn St was beautiful and we haven’t seen it since? Why? The players blocked well and clearly knew how to execute it. We can’t run away from the few things that have worked for us. Also throw the kitchen sink at Petras. He’s not good, and if our line can man up and slow the run down we may have a shot to keep this close. And goodness please limit the penalties

Reactions: bshirt73
We’ve got to figure out a way to score some points, and IMO that means playmakers have to be on the field. I’d like to see Wandale not in the backfield, he’s 185 and we need to get him in space. Figure out a way to get Betts the ball. That Jet sweep against Penn St was beautiful and we haven’t seen it since? Why? The players blocked well and clearly knew how to execute it. We can’t run away from the few things that have worked for us. Also throw the kitchen sink at Petras. He’s not good, and if our line can man up and slow the run down we may have a shot to keep this close. And goodness please limit the penalties

Teams have Frost figured out. They play zone D and keep everything in front of them. That's why when you see a screen pass of something to the outside it looks like the entire D is there. For some reason we can't hit receivers on the run, only when they are sitting down in the zone. We need some big YAC on receptions. The jet sweep as worked one time and hat against PSU, it was a fluke and good teams in a zone will sniff it out immediately because you can't run guys off.

We have tried all year to throw the kitchen sink and it has not worked. When we do that we leave the middle wide open and poor match ups on the outside. Certainly we have to get pressure on the QB but not by bringing the house, it just does not work and teams are picking us apart.

Illinois did exactly what I stated on here before the game. Run your base plays, get stuffed here and there but keep running it, we will take ourselves out of the play eventually. We stop teams on 1st and 2nd down and then go full monty on the blitz and can't cover. The other thing teams do is find our players and go after them - teams look for #7 and pick on him all day long. Run at 13, not away from him. We are very susceptible to screens with our Cosgrove blitz ever down from all directions D.

Cam was progressing nicely until he reaggrevated his foot again. That kid/guy cant stay 100%.

As far as the Betts sweep, AT LEAST motion him and fake it to open up something else.

I agree. We’ve hit 2 big plays this year, and that was one of them. Even if they are in the zone a playmaker still has a chance.

Based on what we’ve seen so far, Nebraska winning Friday would be a big surprise. I’m afraid an end of the season rematch with PSU could be in store for our Huskers. Just hoping we can win our way out of that mess.

You know the Big Ten would love that irony. Sure hope BB/VB bail us out of this trap

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT