ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Lightner

Red I 73

All-American
Nov 25, 2007
West Des Moines, Iowa
In Lincoln hospital with Covid. LJS article says he has been vented but took it out himself. It took nine staff members to restrain him. His former wife said doctors said it was one of worst cases they've seen.

In Lincoln hospital with Covid. LJS article says he has been vented but took it out himself. It took nine staff members to restrain him. His former wife said doctors said it was one of worst cases they've seen.
IF he pulled his trach tube out on his own, the hospital and docs didn't have him medicated heavily enough. I would probably rather just take my chances with the high flow oxygen than be put on a ventilator. He's 55. Hope he can beat it.

I would probably rather just take my chances with the high flow oxygen than be put on a ventilator.

Make sure to indicate that in your advance directive and communicate it to your decision maker so you don’t get put on one

Lightner held the squat record for many years if I remember correctly.
Unfortunately he played at a time when PED use was rampant and he could have residual cardiac effects if he used them. Having been put on a ventilator already, I would guess his prognosis is not great.

Reactions: TheBeav815
IF he pulled his trach tube out on his own, the hospital and docs didn't have him medicated heavily enough. I would probably rather just take my chances with the high flow oxygen than be put on a ventilator. He's 55. Hope he can beat it.
That was my reaction as well, if he was actually intubated for a vent my understanding is they don't just let you lie awake and decide if you enjoy that or not. Probably they were giving him some oxygen or he had some kind of nasal tube if he pulled something out.

On a related note,

My wife's cousin has had the virus for the past 2 weeks. She got it having random sex at a bar. She has sinus congestion and that is about it.

What is odd about this is that she is one of the most unhealthiest people I know.
- Morbid Obesity. (350+)
- Has Colitis
- Chain smoker for last 30 years
- 50 years old
- Doesn't sleep
- Drinks copious amounts of alcohol and energy drinks
- Stressed to the gills

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
That was my reaction as well, if he was actually intubated for a vent my understanding is they don't just let you lie awake and decide if you enjoy that or not. Probably they were giving him some oxygen or he had some kind of nasal tube if he pulled something out.

there has been a huge evidence based shift in approach to mechanical ventilation over the past decade where it is the goal to have patients as awake and interactive as possible while on a ventilator

good evidence that higher levels of sedation for longer periods of time lead to worse outcomes - both survival and poor neurocognitive outcomes - Alzheimer's like

we routinely have patients sitting in a chair, sitting at the edge of the bed, standing, marching and even walking on a ventilator

being awake also allows patients to communicate about pain and discomfort, interact with loved ones etc - have had patients writing, on ipads, etc

delicate balance and much more labor intensive than just keeping everyone comatose
usually start heavily sedated and then rapidly deescalate sedatives

http://www.mobilization-network.org/Network/Welcome.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/12/health/12icu.html

Photo_PtPic4.jpg

Last edited:
On a related note,

My wife's cousin has had the virus for the past 2 weeks. She got it having random sex at a bar. She has sinus congestion and that is about it.

What is odd about this is that she is one of the most unhealthiest people I know.
- Morbid Obesity. (350+)
- Has Colitis
- 50 years old
- Doesn't sleep
- Stressed to the gills
The big question here is, how drunk does a person have to be to hit that?

On a related note,

- Morbid Obesity. (350+)
- Has Colitis
- 50 years old
- Doesn't sleep
- Stressed to the gills
You find it odd that she's not having a more difficult time with it?

On a related note,

- Morbid Obesity. (350+)
- Has Colitis
- 50 years old
- Doesn't sleep
- Stressed to the gills

I didn't know I had it when we banged it out in the men's room.

there has been a huge evidence based shift in approach to mechanical ventilation over the past decade where it is the goal to have patients as awake and interactive as possible while on a ventilator

good evidence that higher levels of sedation for longer periods of time lead to worse outcomes - both survival and poor neurocognitive outcomes - Alzheimer's like

we routinely have patients sitting in a chair, sitting at the edge of the bed, standing, marching and even walking on a ventilators

being awake also allows patients to communicate about pain and discomfort, interact with loved ones etc - have had patients writing, on ipads, etc

delicate balance and much more labor intensive than just keeping everyone comatose

Photo_PtPic4.jpg

Reactions: GretnaShawn
On a related note,

- Morbid Obesity. (350+)
- Has Colitis
- 50 years old
- Doesn't sleep
- Stressed to the gills
I can't imagine what the "rando" who gave it to your wife's cousin looks like.

we routinely have patients sitting in a chair, sitting at the edge of the bed, standing, marching and even walking on a ventilator

Photo_PtPic4.jpg
And then you get the non-compliant patient who pulls their trach out. Personally I can't imagine having an endotracheal tube in without being heavily sedated.

And then you get the non-compliant patient who pulls their trach out. Personally I can't imagine having an endotracheal tube in without being heavily sedated.

it is not a patient issue or question of compliance if the endotracheal tube gets dislodged - occasionally happens but shouldn’t- every case gets debriefed and reviewed in M+M

We don’t blame the patient

Last edited:
it is not a patient issue or question of compliance if the endotracheal tube gets dislodged - occasionally happens but shouldn’t - every case gets debriefed and reviewed in M+M
IF the patient pulls the tube out on purpose then in fact it IS a patient issue. The LJS story made it sound as if he pulled it out on purpose.

IF the patient pulls the tube out on purpose then in fact it IS a patient issue. The LJS story made it sound as if he pulled it out on purpose.

do you think a patient who most certainly has recently been on or is on some degree of sedative/opioid medications (anesthesia) and is critically ill is responsible for their actions? Do you think if he would have died the hospital could have just shrugged and said oh well he pulled it out on purpose - not our problem. Better yet why did they put the tube back in if he wanted it out.

It is up to the medical team to keep the patient safe. We don’t blame the patient

do you think a patient who most certainly has recently been on or is on some degree of sedative/opioid medications (anesthesia) and is critically ill is responsible for their actions? Do you think if he would have died the hospital could have just shrugged and said oh well he pulled it out on purpose - not our problem. Better yet why did they put the tube back in if he wanted it out.

It is up to the medical team to keep the patient safe. We don’t blame the patient
What's your point? Clearly in hindsight he needed more sedative. My original post which I edited because I don't like to throw medical professionals under the bus said "somebody screwed up if he pulled his trach tube out on purpose". It happens.

What's your point? Clearly in hindsight he needed more sedative. My original post which I edited because I don't like to throw medical professionals under the bus said "somebody screwed up if he pulled his trach tube out on purpose". It happens.

Maybe he needed a different sedative or none at all or just pain focused meds

There are meds that allow you to be calm and awake

maybe the rate of medication withdraw was too quick.

the most at risk time for these events is coming out of deep sedation - have to be ready to intervene

so no ... I disagree with the statement that “clearly he needed more sedative” That is often not the case and if it was then then staff was not in a position to intervene to keep him safe

Agree it happens .. but the answer is rarely more sedation

Last edited:
Maybe he needed a different sedative or none at all or just pain focused meds

There are meds that allow you to be calm and awake

maybe the rate of medication withdraw was too quick.

the most at risk time for these events is coming out of deep sedation - have to be ready to intervene

so no ... I disagree with the statement that “clearly he needed more sedative” That is often not the case and if it was then then staff was not in a position to intervene to keep him safe
Ok. The term "sedative" encompasses a lot of drugs. Sedative effects can be achieved by a wide range of drugs some of which can keep you calm and still be awake. IF the medication was withdrawn too quickly then at that point in time, he needed more. Right? Somebody f'd up. I'll leave it there.

Amazingly some guys like big girls. Some are just plain desperate and probably aren't any more attractive than her.

Yes, it is amazing. Our local Walmart daily shows women bigger than than a TRex and always with little skinny guys. Lol! It's really something.....

On a related note,

- Morbid Obesity. (350+)
- Has Colitis
- 50 years old
- Doesn't sleep
- Stressed to the gills
She’s like a fat Keith Richards

This thread has restored my faith in humanity. There is hope that anybody, and I mean anybody, can get laid.

On a side note I'm glad I was eating breakfast by myself. It would have been awkward to explain to the family what the laughter was about.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT