ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Cosgrove

Chinander's defense has given up 30+ points in 7 of our 10 games. Let that sink in. He has to be related to Cosgrove.
Do you remember Minnesota and Ohio State last year? This defense is MUCH better than what we saw last year. Given a mostly new system. New coaches. LOTs of new players on D. This D has made progress. We're going to have to recruit better talent at multiple positions on D if we expect better results NO MATTER WHO IS COACHING IT.

You all seem to know so much about the defense, the scheme and the players, do you spend a lot time at their practices? Scott knows defense as well as anyone, once they get their own players things will improve!
In the past kids have quit this time of year, they’ve not shown any sign of quitting.......all you can ask for!

Do you remember Minnesota and Ohio State last year? This defense is MUCH better than what we saw last year. Given a mostly new system. New coaches. LOTs of new players on D. This D has made progress. We're going to have to recruit better talent at multiple positions on D if we expect better results NO MATTER WHO IS COACHING IT.
It doesnt take talent to tackle, it takes desire....and we have players on defense that do not seem to be interested in taking a player man on man and making a tackle

Reactions: oldjar07

You bring in a good DC and we're bowling...THIS YEAR! It generally takes much longer for an offense to gel than a defense, and there is plenty of talent on this defense.

Last edited:
And you're surprised that guys who mostly were recruited to a 4-3 defense would seem to fit better in a 4-3? Give them time to get guys to fit. We've got a 3-4 nose. We'll be fine. I'm fine with them putting in their system and then recruiting to it. No more half assed running something to appease the guys you have. Put in your system them recruit over the upper classmen if you have to.

Ok, I'll bite.

Daniels needs to improve, and yes he can be an average NT in a 3-4. Being "great" to me is being NFL caliber.

Neal needs to start at DE. He's the only guy who can lock down the end in this system. Stille is playing out of position, and so are all of our other DE, on next year's roster.

That leaves our LB group, and 2 of them will play on the inside as true freshman.

So color me skeptical on the 3-4 next year dingle. Better get Daniels and Neal in a room together pumping iron and eating steaks and shit. They are possible anchors, with Stille.

Agreed, defense is going to take more time to improve, but I think it's going in the right direction. I think the other thing working against the defense is the offense is getting so efficient, opposing teams get the ball more frequently and our defense is playing more snaps. With better conditioning and more depth, eventually the defense will be able to stick with that pace, just not there yet

Reactions: 9and4 and Husker-NJ
It doesnt take talent to tackle, it takes desire....and we have players on defense that do not seem to be interested in taking a player man on man and making a tackle
You must have watched a different game than I did. I saw guys at time either without enough athleticism to get in position to make a play OR I saw at times coverage busts. IMO there is no lack of want to with these guys anymore. It's a matter of getting more athletic and deeper at some positions.

Ok, I'll bite.

Daniels needs to improve, and yes he can be an average NT in a 3-4. Being "great" to me is being NFL caliber, and he should have probably redshirted to have ever seen that level.

Neal needs to start at DE. He's the only guy who can lock down the end in this system. Stille is playing out of position, and so are all of our other DE, on next year's roster.

That leaves our LB group, and 2 of them will play on the inside as true freshman.

So color me skeptical on the 3-4 next year dingle. Better get Daniels and Neal in a room together pumping iron and eating steaks and shit. They are possible anchors, with Stille.
Daniels is a freaking sophomore. Some of our most athletic guys appear to me to be newcomers. Frost and Chinander have patched together a D with what they have to work with. Should they have played a 4-3 this year to better fit their talent OR should they have coached their system so that in the coming years its in place and there won't be the learning curve to deal with. I for one, am just fine with suffering through some of the pain this year for hopefully some reward to come. We can make this work. We're Nebraska.

I'm fed up with Chinander's bullshit! We'd be bowling if it weren't for that POS!! We've given up 368 yards on the ground! WTF?!!

It's one thing if it's OSU but Illinois? Totally unacceptable.

New scheme aside there is zero improvement in season on defense. On the flip side with great coaching on offense we see huge strides in season.

Some people on here need to get their minds right. 500+ yards of offense given up to one dimensional Illinois and the DC shouldn't take any blame?

Fck it, throw the players under the bus. Couldn't possibly be related to the coaching.

It's one thing if it's OSU but Illinois? Totally unacceptable.

New scheme aside there is zero improvement in season on defense. On the flip side with great coaching on offense we see huge strides in season.

Some people on here need to get their minds right. 500+ yards of offense given up to one dimensional Illinois and the DC shouldn't take any blame?

Fck it, throw the players under the bus. Couldn't possibly be related to the coaching.

Bingo. And nobody is questioning the personnel I have posted in the scheme. Just Sunshine Pump on bringing in "the right guys."

Winning means fixing everything.

Daniels is a freaking sophomore. Some of our most athletic guys appear to me to be newcomers. Frost and Chinander have patched together a D with what they have to work with. Should they have played a 4-3 this year to better fit their talent OR should they have coached their system so that in the coming years its in place and there won't be the learning curve to deal with. I for one, am just fine with suffering through some of the pain this year for hopefully some reward to come. We can make this work. We're Nebraska.

So do you like our 3-4 personnel next year? I'm curious, because you deflected the personnel topic I brought up in my post.

Neal could be special, if he gets his head out of his ass. Daniels is big. Stille is a gamer.

That Omaha Burke kid better be ready to play right away. And the other 4 star. Immediately

I can’t get enough of these threads. It would be fun to take the 30 seconds it takes to show the “3-4 sucks and we need to be in a 4-3” crowd that the only difference in gap responsibility in most sets in college now is the nose and 3-tech are are different sides than they would be in a 4-3.

Reactions: SC_'sker
Our last 6 defensive coordinators.
harry-potter-defense-against-the-dark-arts-teachers-slice-600x200.jpg

When you play a 3-4 with a smallish nose and DE's, it will never work.

Period. End of story.

This team is a 8-9 win unit in a 4-3, with this improved OL play, against this schedule.

Chin sucks and as much as people like Frost might hate to say it, he still sucks if a 3-4 is his only calling card. Need to cut that cord eventually, or we will be mired in a quagmire of mediocrity.

Its isnt scheme. I wish it was that simple but it isnt.

Holla

Anyone that thinks trying a new dc every year is the answer to building a better defense is dumber than rocks. Defense is about assignment football and discipline. Can’t pick that up in a year especially when these kids haven’t had a defensive coordinator last longer than a year since they’ve been here.
This.

Anyone that thinks trying a new dc every year is the answer to building a better defense is dumber than rocks. Defense is about assignment football and discipline. Can’t pick that up in a year especially when these kids haven’t had a defensive coordinator last longer than a year since they’ve been here.

Yessir. These guys need some continuity. As maddening as it is sometimes, it will get better. That doesn't mean that Chin should get a pass for what he calls on 3rd down, though. Winking

I can’t get enough of these threads. It would be fun to take the 30 seconds it takes to show the “3-4 sucks and we need to be in a 4-3” crowd that the only difference in gap responsibility in most sets in college now is the nose and 3-tech are are different sides than they would be in a 4-3.

BS. One set has a hand in the dirt.

The other set has 3 down lineman getting their smallish asses kicked while a cobbled together Lb core can't fill a gap, cuz they can't cover a gap as wide as a Volkswagen.

GBR

If you put together a defensive unit of Nebraska players since 2000, does a single player from this year's team make it? What about from the last 10 years?

You all seem to know so much about the defense, the scheme and the players, do you spend a lot time at their practices? Scott knows defense as well as anyone, once they get their own players things will improve!
In the past kids have quit this time of year, they’ve not shown any sign of quitting.......all you can ask for!
I do not think setting a standard of well at least they have not quit will build this program

You're questioning the experts? The experts here are so good, if they coached the D, we'd hold teams to 0 yards.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT