ADVERTISEMENT

KeShawn Greene being picked as a potential BIG 10 freshman of the year.

Not helpful IMO to be on such a list before you've played in a single college game. It's like the kiss of death or jinx for some because some kids can handle the hype and others can't. It just leads to too high of fan expectations.

All the pre-season Heisman hype for Adrian Martinez, for example, was not at all helpful. Looks like it probably messed with his mind judging by the huge sophomore slump he had.
I can agree with that, sometimes, but it's up to his teammates to bring him down to earth.
Competition, experience, he has to beat that out first.
I don't see this staff just handing over the keys to the defense here. I get it that young guys are the greatest in their own minds, but they have to earn it, and we have alot of space for him to do just that, but it wont be handed to him.

Reactions: huskerssalts
I can agree with that, sometimes, but it's up to his teammates to bring him down to earth.
Competition, experience, he has to beat that out first.
I don't see this staff just handing over the keys to the defense here. I get it that young guys are the greatest in their own minds, but they have to earn it, and we have alot of space for him to do just that, but it wont be handed to him.

you are definitely correct their. KeShawn Green will have plenty of opportunities to play. We have a number of holes on defense. I can definitely see Greene and Henrichs seeing the field soon.

it’s like you’re straight outta special ED my man... I have said the whole time I understand that it can motivate the players... but total disrespect does not equal wins... as a fan of a team you probably shouldn’t be totally disrespectful to your teams players, should probably be supportive.... now being supportive doesn’t mean getting on your knees and slobbing all over their man bits... I could be wrong here but I’m not seeing people going up to players saying “ dude you’re going to be the best ever” what I do see is people here speculating on certain players potential, which is very valid... now this will be my last response to you as I have better things to do with my life, so if you want to be the fan that follows players on twitter and tell them how big of a husker fan you are and then continue to tell them how much they suck that’s well within your right... you do you boo... I’m going to be me and me being me means I’ll support my team, but be critical, and not naïve enough to think that me tossing shade at our players will do anything more then turn them off of our fan base and potentially harm us with future recruits

Well then let me tell you something in response to that, you’re not part of the problem. If you really do have an objective mind and are supportive while not “sucking off their man bits” but yet “critical” when need be, then this message is not targeted towards you specifically. You’re good. It’s most of our fanbase, the media, and some of the coaches (just look at who we had starting at QB this past season for crying out loud with all the praise and hype in the world from every one of those sources I named) that I have an issue with.

Because I got to tell you, we’ve had fans, media, and coaches up there telling us how great our players were, how great our season would be, and all that yatta yatta before the season started and it apparently turned out that everyone didn’t know what they were talking about. You had coaches in camp who’ve seen these players all off-season last year hyping this team up. You’ve had media crews who literally went in each Big Ten camp to see the teams and came out still saying they see Nebraska winning the West at the very least. It made me sick because I would expect maybe the fans and media to be ignorant and not know what they’re talking about, but the coaches too?!?! So that means when these coaches looked at our team and examined with their close eye how good they actually were, they all either:

A. Lied to themselves

B. Lied to the Public

C. Actually looked at what they had in camp and thought “Hey this looks pretty good.”

You tell me which you think it is, but for all intents and purposely I hope for the love of god that it wasn’t “ C. “

So these coaches apparently don’t know what they’re “praising” before the season starts. The media doesn’t. Nor does our fans. The only thing we know for sure is what they do when they actually hit the field in front of our very eyes, then it’s all clear then if they should be “praised” or not.

Again, this message is not directly meant for you, but to the public, to the fans, to the media, and to the coaches to just hold off on the “praise” before the season even starts. And that doesn’t mean you say “nothing” the whole time, but instead do a little ridicule and lampooning to see if that helps motivate these players and this team on top of the “support” obviously being spread a little here and there. But no more blind “you’re going to be the best ever” sh*t. Why? Because it unequivocally doesn’t WORK! Period! That’s why!

Greene should have excellent growth getting in the SnC. He will be on a snap count, no doubt, and I bet he gets alot of them.
He's likely our gest defender since Gregory, actually, if he grows much, close in size as well.

Bo disrespected the fans,Bo. He also disrespected the media, Bo. He also disrespected his bosses, Bo.
In doing so, he disrespected his players, Bo.

Now there was a good example, right Bo?

Listen, Bo's only problem was that he didn't have the recruiting skills Frost has to build a great team. Bo, had Nebraska as one of only 3 teams over the 7 years he was here winning 9 to 10 games a year. Bo. Bo beat Iowa 3 our of 4 times and mostly had no problem with them. Bo. Both won the West division in his time here. Bo. Bo beat Ohio State, Michigan, went undefeated against Penn State, etc. Bo. Bo was the last Nebraska coach to beat Wisconsin. Bo.

So again, there was no problem with his antics except he just didn't have the recruiting capabilities to build a great team but he had the very best teams Nebraska has ever had since Solich was fired. Bo.

Not helpful IMO to be on such a list before you've played in a single college game. It's like the kiss of death or jinx for some because some kids can handle the hype and others can't. It just leads to too high of fan expectations.

All the pre-season Heisman hype for Adrian Martinez, for example, was not at all helpful. Looks like it probably messed with his mind judging by the huge sophomore slump he had.

Somebody give this man a medal. This guy's logical is exactly what I'm talking about that we all as fans, media, and coaches need to apply to our players. The only praise any player needs to get from the public is when he goes out and has a great football season. Period!

This "praise them before they play a college game" or "before the season starts" sh*t is not what seems to WORK for Nebraska now a days.

I wonder if our AD gives a tell this year as well.
I know there's some fans who just don't get it, they love to b1 tch and criticize, but ignore real facts.
Oh, yea, that tell? Since some fans regard our program as not knowing whats going on, well the tell was, get to a bowl.
But disregard this if you just are disruptive, offer no clue as to whats going on on the field, the players, their play, and wouldn't know if it's a coach or a player who screwed up on any given play.
There's a reason the best coaches go to the nfl, their players get drafted, they dont have to get guys that screw up, they get paid by scheming the game.
Some fans don't get that part, the part where in college, you already need that part, the schemes, in game changes etc, but, you're stuck with who you have, there is no draft, no bonafide players, but we know who they are.

why are you STILL ranting on this? This is GOOD thing and not a bad thing. And it’s not even close. Go look at all those other Top 100 players over the past 5 years...all those 5 star and high 4 star players like Greene, they all think they can come right in and play right away. They ALL DO IT. So stop already, you should be enjoying this, not ranting over it...my Lord.

When the recruiting experts see talent like this, they assume they will play early and often. Go look at what they say about other Top 100 players...it’s all the same. And if you haven’t watched the Huskers LBs play...they aren’t very good. So it’s understandable to think KeShawn Greene will play early and often...hell players like Greene, Nick Henricks, J Hannah, Snodgrass, Gunnerson all could see the field early.

I’m going to tell you something that maybe might shock you, I don’t know, but I actually like your optimism as a fan. I like how you point out what these types of players have done, how they get talked about, and how good their chances are to start early and play often. But you’re missing the point.

Point is that we should not want ANY optimist talk about ANY of our players whether coming in or that are on this team already because of how bad of a jinx that tends to put on us come time those very players hit the field for us on Saturdays. It doesn’t work. The “praise” the “optimism” talk doesn’t…. WORK! PERIOD! So stop doing it. Stop being fools and doing it over and over again expecting a different result.

We SHOULD be suspect of these players at all times at this point. We should discourage the media from speaking highly of ANY Nebraska recruits or players coming in and if anything to just ridicule them with harsh satire seeing if it’ll get them motivated to do much better than “expected” on Saturdays when they get on the field. I’d much much much much MUUUUUUCH rather see multiple articles of disrespect, doubting if they’ll succeed at Nebraska, lampooning them, or any kind of disrespect they’d have to say about those players when they get here to play for Nebraska because that’s what tends to motivate players to do well.

3 years of making No bowl games because of this:

https://www.cornnation.com/2017/9/1...ll-arkansas-state-red-wolves-five-reasons-win (And we’ve seen how that guy turned out).

https://247sports.com/Article/Adrian-Martinez-Heisman-trophy-Nebraska-football-129265445/

So screw that noise. I’m done with this stupid “hype” and “praise” stuff. Hell we did that sh*t with Hoiberg too and it didn’t help him in basketball this season one bit.

Point is we need to stop being fools and do something different for once since what we’ve been doing clearly has not been WORKING.

I’m going to tell you something that maybe might shock you, I don’t know, but I actually like your optimism as a fan. I like how you point out what these types of players have done, how they get talked about, and how good their chances are to start early and play often. But you’re missing the point.

Point is that we should not want ANY optimist talk about ANY of our players whether coming in or that are on this team already because of how bad of a jinx that tends to put on us come time those very players hit the field for us on Saturdays. It doesn’t work. The “praise” the “optimism” talk doesn’t…. WORK! PERIOD! So stop doing it. Stop being fools and doing it over and over again expecting a different result.

We SHOULD be suspect of these players at all times at this point. We should discourage the media from speaking highly of ANY Nebraska recruits or players coming in and if anything to just ridicule them with harsh satire seeing if it’ll get them motivated to do much better than “expected” on Saturdays when they get on the field. I’d much much much much MUUUUUUCH rather see multiple articles of disrespect, doubting if they’ll succeed at Nebraska, lampooning them, or any kind of disrespect they’d have to say about those players when they get here to play for Nebraska because that’s what tends to motivate players to do well.

3 years of making No bowl games because of this:

https://www.cornnation.com/2017/9/1...ll-arkansas-state-red-wolves-five-reasons-win (And we’ve seen how that guy turned out).

https://247sports.com/Article/Adrian-Martinez-Heisman-trophy-Nebraska-football-129265445/

So screw that noise. I’m done with this stupid “hype” and “praise” stuff. Hell we did that sh*t with Hoiberg too and it didn’t help him in basketball this season one bit.

Point is we need to stop being fools and do something different for once since what we’ve been doing clearly has not been WORKING.

TL;DR

buddy, you're off your rocker

ADVERTISEMENT