ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky has a chance at starting the season 30-0... Did you know...

chicolby

All-American
May 3, 2012
Did you know the last time we had a team start the season 30-0 was.........

LAST YEAR.

There is so much hype to this year's Kentucky team and their undefeated run, it's a little over the top. Last season, Wichita State finished the regular season 34-0, yet you'd think it has been 30 years the way they are hyping this Kentucky run.

I think Kentucky is very good, of course. I think Kentucky is probably deeper than any other team in college basketball right now. But I think Kentucky is not invincible. Personally, I'd take my chances on a Wisconsin winning it all over Kentucky, but there are a number of teams who can actually contend this year.

Kentucky
Duke
Wisconsin
Virginia
Arizona
Hell, maybe even Wichita State can get redemption for last season.

Should be a fun NCAA tournament. Too bad the Huskers wont' even sniff the NIT.

Nobody cared because everyone knew Wichita State was a product of playing in a weaker conference and nobody really thought they'd win it all. Yes I know the SEC isn't great, but it's lite years ahead of the MVC top to bottom. Every reasonable person knew when the brackets came out last year, that WSU was going to have to play their best game of the year to get by Kentucky, and they did, and it still wasn't enough. Kentucky is getting some well deserved praise this year because most reasonable think they have a real shot of going undefeated the rest of the way, WSU didn't. It's like when South Florida football was 10-0 about 8 or so years ago, nobody thought they were really a top 5 team, even though they were ranked there. I am not a big CBB fan, but this Kentucky team has my attention, and I assume a lot of other people's attention, hence the hype. This might actually happen.

I don't mind the hype but I still don't see them running the table and going undefeated. They are the best defensive team I have ever seen but even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes and some team is going to catch fire and beat them. My guess will be in the tourney either Sweet 16 or Elite 8. I still have Wisconsin picked to win it all because IMO they are the best TEAM on both sides of the ball and very well coached.

I think you're wrong. This Kentucky team will be very hard to beat. They've taken a lot of people's best shot and have come out. Can they lose? Sure. I think Duke is very good, as is Gonzaga and Wisconsin. But I think Kentucky has too much skill over everyone and expect them to win it all.

In regards to Wichita State. I cant stand that team, that program and their coach. Comes from my time living in Wichita. But I think they're actually going to do better in the tournament this year than last. Last year they had to run into Kentucky, That won't happen this year. I think WSU is capable of another Final Four run Van Fleet and Baker are a very good tandem.

yeah......Wichita St. shouldn't even enter the Kentucky conversation. Kentucky has at least 6 draft picks on this squad.....in a 2 round draft.

Any team that beats this Kentucky squad in the tourney will be credited with one of the bigger upsets in NCAA tourney history.

Originally posted by chicolby:
Did you know the last time we had a team start the season 30-0 was.........

LAST YEAR.

There is so much hype to this year's Kentucky team and their undefeated run, it's a little over the top. Last season, Wichita State finished the regular season 34-0, yet you'd think it has been 30 years the way they are hyping this Kentucky run.

I think Kentucky is very good, of course. I think Kentucky is probably deeper than any other team in college basketball right now. But I think Kentucky is not invincible. Personally, I'd take my chances on a Wisconsin winning it all over Kentucky, but there are a number of teams who can actually contend this year.

Kentucky
Duke
Wisconsin
Virginia
Arizona
Hell, maybe even Wichita State can get redemption for last season.

Should be a fun NCAA tournament. Too bad the Huskers wont' even sniff the NIT.
How's that Creighton to a real conference thing working out? Same difference.

I think Kentucky's run is impressive considering what they lost from last years runner-up team. Maybe that's why they're getting so much hype? I don't know....

I see Kentucky losing a round-of-32 game or a sweet sixteen matchup to a surprise team. Sleeper alert! No idea who, but that's my gut feeling. Once they get past that, they will be hard to beat, even for Wisconsin, Duke, Arizona, and Virginia. My feel is it's gonna be a sleeper. Great team, great players, great coach. But down with the cats!!!

at the risk of being called a "Shocks-ker"

...and knowing several of you HATE WSU with a passion, I must make a statement and then I'll drop it.

I watched WSU play 9 times in person last year, and they were VERY good...the league was weak, but they were challenged once.Would they have gone undefeated in the Big 12 or Big 10? Of course not! BUT the year before, they were a Final Four team, beating a #1, a big 10 power, and frankly getting Karl Hess-ed against Louisville. I STRONGLY disagree that they played their best game against Kentucky last year...EARLY played his best game, but they played well, in what was called by SI the single best game in any SPORT last year. The fact that Kentucky reached the finals shows the level of TEAM that WSU was...and is.

No one disputes that Kentucky is vastly superior talent wise, but it's not ALL about talent.

Lest you forget my TRUEST passion....GO BIG RED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: at the risk of being called a "Shocks-ker"

"Would they have gone undefeated in the Big 12 or Big 10? Of course not!"

Which validates the argument that what WSU did last year, wasn't anything to write home about. No one said they weren't a very good team.
This post was edited on 3/5 11:30 AM by jflores

Re: at the risk of being called a "Shocks-ker"

I agree WSU was very good last year, but Kentucky is great and has a real shot to go undefeated, and is deserving of all the hype. WSU probably wouldn't have gone undefeated in any P5 conference last year, Kentucky could waltz thru any of them this year. I ain't saying the Shockers weren't good, they were a legit top 10 team IMO, which is freaking awesome. But they aren't on the same level as this years Kentucky team, which oh by the way, beat the Shockers last year. I like the Shockers, always rooted for them. Lived in Goddard for a few years when I was younger and "adopted" the Shockers and still root for them to this day, but they ain't Kentucky.

Oh, I agree....BUT....

...it's not like Kentucky hasn't played a little close to a loss this year either...

Having said that, I HOPE Kentucky runs it...love their kids, if not Cal...

Re: Oh, I agree....BUT....

Originally posted by spartanhusker:
...it's not like Kentucky hasn't played a little close to a loss this year either...

Having said that, I HOPE Kentucky runs it...love their kids, if not Cal...
For sure. They have won a couple of OT games and they are incredibly young. I would love nothing more than to see them get upended in the tourney.

Re: Oh, I agree....BUT....

Originally posted by spartanhusker:
That's what happens when you play in a real conference :)

The SEC only has one other ranked team. Among the major conferences, it's not that strong. Kentucky has looked their best against tougher opponents, but I'm not sure I would like their chances of going unbeaten in the ACC, Big Ten, or Big 12.

I said I was done...BUT....

...it's NOT like they CAN choose to be in a power 5 conference...you play where you play.

Originally posted by BetterRed:

I think you're wrong. This Kentucky team will be very hard to beat. They've taken a lot of people's best shot and have come out. Can they lose? Sure. I think Duke is very good, as is Gonzaga and Wisconsin. But I think Kentucky has too much skill over everyone and expect them to win it all.

In regards to Wichita State. I cant stand that team, that program and their coach. Comes from my time living in Wichita. But I think they're actually going to do better in the tournament this year than last. Last year they had to run into Kentucky, That won't happen this year. I think WSU is capable of another Final Four run Van Fleet and Baker are a very good tandem.
I think you have size mixed up with skill. Kentucky isn't even close to be the most skilled team in the country. They beat people because of size and rebounding. Duke is by far the most skilled team in the country and IMO would be a bad matchup for Ky. Yes, Kentucky would whip them on the boards, but they would have a hard time guarding Duke. Good luck having 6'10" guys guarding guys that can shoot the ball, plus they have a big that nobody on Kentucky can handle. I also believe a team with two or three shooters will give Kentucky fits.

If it's defense you like, maybe you haven't seen Virginia play this year. One would be hard pressed to say Kentucky plays better D than Virginia.

Originally posted by Mr.Scary13:

I think you have size mixed up with skill. Kentucky isn't even close to be the most skilled team in the country. They beat people because of size and rebounding. Duke is by far the most skilled team in the country and IMO would be a bad matchup for Ky. Yes, Kentucky would whip them on the boards, but they would have a hard time guarding Duke. Good luck having 6'10" guys guarding guys that can shoot the ball, plus they have a big that nobody on Kentucky can handle. I also believe a team with two or three shooters will give Kentucky fits.
You don't think Willie Cauley-Stein isn't as skilled as Okafor, or is just a good tall player? I think he's among the best players in the country. I'm not a Kentucky fan. In fact, hardly a fan of Calipari. But if the 'Cats don't win it all, I'll be shocked.

Originally posted by GraveyardFields:
The SEC only has one other ranked team. Among the major conferences, it's not that strong. Kentucky has looked their best against tougher opponents, but I'm not sure I would like their chances of going unbeaten in the ACC, Big Ten, or Big 12.
This. Kentucky is the only SEC team in the kenpom top 25. The BiG TeN, Big 12, ACC, PAC12 and Big East are all much better basketball conferences.

Not to take anything away from 30-0 though. That is not easy to do, no matter the conference. They are the team to beat, no doubt, but I think they are more beatable than many believe.

You don't think Willie Cauley-Stein isn't as skilled as Okafor, or is just a good tall player? I think he's among the best players in the country. I'm not a Kentucky fan. In fact, hardly a fan of Calipari. But if the 'Cats don't win it all, I'll be shocked.
Cauley-Stein is not skilled, he is athletic. He is only effective in transition. His sidekick Karl Anthony Towns is the guy.

Seriously? Have you even watched Okafor at all? WCS isn't on the same planet as Okafor as far as skill goes. If Duke and Kentucky play Okafor will destroy any guy UK has if they try and man up on him without double teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT