ADVERTISEMENT

Keith Williams is grumpy...

1. Its Kevin Williams. Keith is a coach.

2. Nebraska football would be better if more players weren't happy with being labeled as backups.

3. He's right. If he doesnt suffer an ACL tear, he starts in 2012 and 2013.

4. He's pretty damn good for a "backup."
Yup. Love that attitude. First step to getting the Blackshirt attitude back of fighting tooth and nail to be "the man" at your position.

Williams is a good player. Hope he stays healthy because he will get plenty of playing time, even as a backup.

Reactions: JPR95
t65p5g.gif

1. Its Kevin Williams. Keith is a coach.

2. Nebraska football would be better if more players weren't happy with being labeled as backups.

3. He's right. If he doesnt suffer an ACL tear, he starts in 2012 and 2013.

4. He's pretty damn good for a "backup."
Success is never so sweet as to those that do not achieve. (I'm sure the quote is a little off but it's close.) Williams needs to not worry about being called a backup and let his play do the talking. IF he can stay healthy, he can make a huge impact this year.

Obviously the coaches and admin were ok with his statement. He has been injured; he has played at the level of a starter, announcers have marveled how well he played hurt when he could. Calling him a " backup ", in a way that infers a slightly lower level; well I can understand his frustration. I like the openness of this staff and players; there was no disrespect, and now a greater awareness. GBR

My wife and I were watching him on the news last night laying in bed, and when he was done we both turned to each other, and thought the exact same thing....There had to be a little better way to get that message across. Frankly, he isn't really a starter, so I'm not sure what he's angry about. We both thought he looked a little dorky, but if he feels disrespected, and that disrespect gets him fired up and turns him into a beast, then by all means, spout away.

Reactions: huskerbux
i got the feeling of.. 'he doth protest too much'

which kind of means, by protesting it, it makes him look guilty of it in the first place

To use coachspeak, Mr. Williams is "in the mix" at DT. He'll be part of whatever success is had by that group.

Ya I have zero issues with this

It may have been a little akward, but IMO this shows he has grown up, sees the light at the end of the tunnel, and he's determined to make the absolute most of this last year. Hopefully he stays healthy because he can be a force pass rushing. Good luck to him, hope he raises hell all season.

My wife and I were watching him on the news last night laying in bed, and when he was done we both turned to each other, and thought the exact same thing....There had to be a little better way to get that message across. Frankly, he isn't really a starter, so I'm not sure what he's angry about. We both thought he looked a little dorky, but if he feels disrespected, and that disrespect gets him fired up and turns him into a beast, then by all means, spout away.
Thought the same thing. I'm ok with the attitude of wanting to be acknowledged as one of the leaders in the rotation but frankly, he is a back-up at this point. Not sure why he chose to vent his frustration on that subject on the first day of practice. Stay healthy, make an impact and you'll get your "something nice" write-ups.
Sorry, but it had a bit of Bo mentality in there for me.....blame the media for reporting the facts. I don't think I read anywhere anything bad about him, so if it is just the term "back-up", he needs to get over it. At least he's being talked about.

6 yrs & hard work in battling back from major injuries will do that. Bravo to him for stating his opinion. The media is not there friend so why be friendly? These media guys will gladly stir the pot and it's gotta be hard for players to to read some of that crap from people that never played the game...

GBR

Reactions: k9_r
KW been through alot and plays his tail off, but he is clearly a backup DT.

Yeah, I was impressed with the fire but his anger was clearly misplaced. Media has been going on available facts. I'm sure he feels that when he's healthy he's clearly starting material. His luck has really sucked so far. Hopefully he can show us what he's got this year!

6 yrs & hard work in battling back from major injuries will do that. Bravo to him for stating his opinion. The media is not there friend so why be friendly? These media guys will gladly stir the pot and it's gotta be hard for players to to read some of that crap from people that never played the game...

GBR

But the media has always been friendly to him, I don't think I've ever seen anything negative written about the guy. Just stories about how tenacious he is while recovering from injuries.

So? Are you saying that doesn't give him the right to disagree with a comment written today about him? He had every right to correct what was written publicly if he disagreed with the author on an assumption made (correct or not). The author obviously didn't run it by him for his thoughts prior to printing. He obviously disagreed and wanted it known. So he responded in a manner that he felt like would get that message across. I'd say message received.

There are nasty games the media and programs play with each other (with big $$$$$ in the middle). Putting college kids in the middle is asking for it on both sides. This is not a professional team with professional players that is being written about here 24/7/365...

Love the desire and fire shown by this comment. Altho some may say he should've not said it there like that, I think everyone knows now that he's a competitor (even when written off in the press).

GBR

Reactions: k9_r
So? Are you saying that doesn't give him the right to disagree with a comment written today about him? He had every right to correct what was written publicly if he disagreed with the author on an assumption made (correct or not). The author obviously didn't run it by him for his thoughts prior to printing. He obviously disagreed and wanted it known. So he responded in a manner that he felt like would get that message across. I'd say message received.

There are nasty games the media and programs play with each other (with big $$$$$ in the middle). Putting college kids in the middle is asking for it on both sides. This is not a professional team with professional players that is being written about here 24/7/365...

Love the desire and fire shown by this comment. Altho some may say he should've not said it there like that, I think everyone knows now that he's a competitor (even when written off in the press).

GBR
What assumption? That he is a backup? As of now that is not an assumption, but a fact. He can change it, but this is not an assumption.

When the season starts he may well be the starter but until he is named the starter his history has been as a backup.

I have no issue with KW's fire... my main thinking when beginning the thread was... is there really that much ink dedicated to writing disparaging things about him, or merely that he's a "back-up". Was there an article or journo in particular that dismissed him unintentionally?

If he uses it as bulletin board material... that's cool. But seems kind of misplaced.

On a 1620 interview a writer says KW is part of a 3 man rotation of the first team. The second team goes elsewhere with other DT's. So imo kw is right. and they mentioned you don't lose your position to injury. I would not want to be made to look like a career back up in his position; he has pro potential and we want the right message out there. He has started when healthy; since his rs freshman year; he says it and I buy it. The reporter said he is known to be a good interview and good to the press; so I feel its legit for him to speak as to why - He was allowed to do it.

I might add; with the D line now freed to attack the O; BYU may see a hornets nest, our dt's are going to prove something. lol

The media is not there friend so why be friendly?

GBR[/QUOTE]

Uh... cuz it's the right thing to do??? It's a life lesson. Treat others with respect and be friendly whenever possible. To me, Williams made a WAY bigger deal out of this whole back-up thing than he needed to. Kind of looked dumb IMO...

To me you saw a man stick up for himself to let others know that he didn't agree with what was being said. He didn't do it with "kid gloves" on, so to speak, so naturally some are going to be offended...

There is nothing to not like about that type of internal FIRE..

GBR

Another Pelini guy running his mouth. Will be so glad in a few years to rid ourselves of his players. Dont expect a lot this year from this defense. I know most think it will be a drastic change under Banker but dont think much will change until we get his players onboard.

Reactions: nothingkevin
Another Pelini guy running his mouth. Will be so glad in a few years to rid ourselves of his players. Dont expect a lot this year from this defense. I know most think it will be a drastic change under Banker but dont think much will change until we get his players onboard.
Obviously we have to wait and see but I couldn't disagree more with this...

Don't you think the guys will want to show what they can do? They will bring it, not mope about their former coach...

Reactions: HuskerO
To me you saw a man stick up for himself to let others know that he didn't agree with what was being said. He didn't do it with "kid gloves" on, so to speak, so naturally some are going to be offended...

There is nothing to not like about that type of internal FIRE..

GBR
Then cite what was supposedly "said"... It just came out of no where (apparently). It was the first day of fall practice and lots of starting positions are up for grabs. I just have no clue why he felt the need to "make a statement" at that juncture and in that way. If it was a certain reporter that wrote something he didn't agree with, then he should have contacted that reporter and dealt with it. It looked to me like he caught ALL the reporters off guard with his mis-guided rant...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT