ADVERTISEMENT

Keem Green

What's the story here? We were told that he would be a major force this season.

I wanna see Mauga-Clements, Hannah, more of Farmer, more Betts, and Cooper.
I think Keem is better than some of the guys we've seen. No idea why he isn't playing more. He should rotate in with Daniels. I think those are the only two guys that are big and strong enough to play the NT position while also having decent quickness. Riley is unbelievably slow and not very strong for his size.

I had heard on the radio show that Hannah has been a big disappointment and very undersized. If Mauga Clements is 190lbs soaking wet, I'd be shocked.

Hannah was the most shocking to all of them, he had shown well at many camps and many thought he was the best defensive player in that class and their #1 target at that position.

I think we're cursed.
Maybe our staff doesn't know how to evaluate talent. I would say Miles Farmer is a starter but he rides the pine for some unexplainable reason.

Hannah was the most shocking to all of them, he had shown well at many camps and many thought he was the best defensive player in that class and their #1 target at that position.

I think we're cursed.
Happens all the time. Most teams find a way to cover up the busts and don't miss a beat. We can't do that because we're a very poorly coached and bad team.

When you real the local newspaper and listen to @Sean who get paid to hype the local kids and can’t speak honestly what do you expect. There’s a reason they come here vs UAB, Troy, MAC schools, and DII schools. There’s a reason the ones that get recruited by OSU, OU, Mich, Wisc, they end up not at Neb. Rinse repeat. The 500 mile radius is dead for talent and we’ll never win with legit stars consistently.

Maybe our staff doesn't know how to evaluate talent. I would say Miles Farmer is a starter but he rides the pine for some unexplainable reason.
I don't understand why so many people think they have all this "talent". The recent NFL draft results should speak volumes, that this is not the case and there's a huge player development issue. I also feel that the ratings system is somewhat flawed. I feel like many of their 4 and even 3* don't have offer lists that align with many of their ratings. The player development issue is much more alarming to me.

Looking at this roster as it stands today, I don't see 5 NFL draft picks.

I had heard on the radio show that Hannah has been a big disappointment and very undersized. If Mauga Clements is 190lbs soaking wet, I'd be shocked.

he showed up to camp at ND and earn an offer and reports were that he was small and slow (hence no offer). kind of head scratching that he was a 4*

Rankings of players don't matter after a certain point. Like, you honestly think they are able to rank someone as the "38th best DT in the country" that is the lamest thing ever.

Once you get past the top 5 or 10, it is all a guess...
I've been saying that for about a decade now. Top 5-6 at every position are consensus elite talent that all the top programs want and usually end up as a recruiting battle between teams like Ohio State, Clemson, Notre Dame, Alabama, etc.

The process then becomes increasingly arbitrary. Ranking services like Rivals reserve a limited number of 4-star spots, you might have a half dozen players or more vying for that last 4-star spot. Is Rivals last 5.8 4-star player better than their first 5.7 3-star player? Totally arbitrary ranking. And its undeniable that these rankings have an implicit regional (South) and population (urban/suburban) bias. Huskersalts will hype all the 4-star prospects with Nebraska offers next Spring. Rinse, repeat.

For most programs, It is the so-called 3-star recruits (Rivals 5.7, 5.6, 5.5) which make a team. Evaluating that pool of talent and developing that talent is critical; that is where the coaches make their money. Wisconsin signs Midwest 3-star linemen year in and year out, adds a 4-star RB, then proceeds to lead the league in rushing year in and year out - WI develops OL and it is their engine to success. Ferentz has sent a train load of so-called 2-star and 3-star talent to the NFL.

Pay attention to development of the "3-star" recruits. If the coaches have done their homework and evaluated that player correctly (including character) and those players are improving and contributing then the coaches are doing their job and earning that 7 figure paycheck.

Last edited:
Put them at safety! Talents there regardless, so might as well makes it work.

When you real the local newspaper and listen to @Sean who get paid to hype the local kids and can’t speak honestly what do you expect. There’s a reason they come here vs UAB, Troy, MAC schools, and DII schools. There’s a reason the ones that get recruited by OSU, OU, Mich, Wisc, they end up not at Neb. Rinse repeat. The 500 mile radius is dead for talent and we’ll never win with legit stars consistently.
Gotta bring back the power run game and option. That's our only hope and Frost knows it. Too bad he's too stubborn and will probably be fired before he ever wakes up and smells the roses.

I don't understand why so many people think they have all this "talent". The recent NFL draft results should speak volumes, that this is not the case and there's a huge player development issue. I also feel that the ratings system is somewhat flawed. I feel like many of their 4 and even 3* don't have offer lists that align with many of their ratings. The player development issue is much more alarming to me.

Our recruiting classes have been decent...so there must be some talent. Certainly more than the likes of Illinois, Northwestern, Iowa. But we just are incapable of developing them and finding the right spots on the field.

Put them at safety! Talents there regardless, so might as well makes it work.
I'm not sure Hannah runs well enough to play S. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in the portal.

Mauga has been playing ST, I almost feel like he is a guy without a true position. I think they wanted to move him to ILB or he already manned that position. I'm not sure what his eligibility is, but he needs a lot of S/C work.

I've been saying that for about a decade now. Top 5-6 at every position are consensus elite talent that all the top programs want and usually end up as a recruiting battle between teams like Ohio State, Clemson, Notre Dame, Alabama, etc.

The process then becomes increasingly arbitrary. Ranking services like Rivals reserve a limited number of 4-star spots, you might have a half dozen players or more vying for that last 4-star spot. Is Rivals last 5.8 4-star player better than their first 5.7 3-star player? Totally arbitrary ranking. And its undeniable that these rankings have an implicit regional (South) and population (urban/suburban) bias. Huskersalts will hype all the 4-star prospects with Nebraska offers next Spring. Rinse, repeat.

For most programs, It is the so-called 3-star recruits (Rivals 5.7, 5.6, 5.5) which make a team. Evaluating that pool of talent and developing that talent is critical; that is where the coaches make their money. Wisconsin signs Midwest 3-star linemen year in and year out, adds a 4-star RB, then proceeds to lead the league in rushing year in and year out - WI develops OL and it is their engine to success. Ferentz has sent a train load of so-called 2-star and 3-star talent to the NFL.

Pay attention to development of the "3-star" recruits. If the coaches have done their homework and evaluated that player correctly (including character) and those players are improving and contributing then the coaches are doing their job and earning that 7 figure paycheck.
Statistics show you’re wrong. Look at the last 15 NC or 70% of nfl draft picks. Stars matter. Take Neb and the mid 3* SF is known for. I’d say it aligns with what’s on the field.

I think most guys start off relatively the same and you have to mold them into good players through good coaching. Only 10%, if that, have the ability and mentality to become good players on their own regardless of coaching. Even Alabama and Clemson's rosters are mostly made up of guys who need to be molded into good and great players.

Statistics show you’re wrong. Look at the last 15 NC or 70% of nfl draft picks. Stars matter. Take Neb and the mid 3* SF is known for. I’d say it aligns with what’s on the field.
That's the point and Nebraska is not going to out-recruit Ohio State, Notre Dame, Penn State, Oklahoma, or top level SEC schools. Nebraska is not going to sign a majority 4-star or better recruiting classes. Sorry if you believe otherwise.

Therefore, to have a greater chance of success,, coaches at Nebraska (and Wisconsin, Iowa, Northwestern, et al) need to work harder in order to identify the under-valued 3-star talent, develop those players, and keep most of them eligible and committed. These 3-star or lower players are going to be a majority of your 2-deeps in any given season. If you are correct, about one-third of every NFL draft class were under-rated as high school players. You better be able to fish in that pond.

Last edited:
Reactions: bshirt73
There's so much film available on every kid in the country that there are very few gems to uncover. So then it comes down to development and filling for your system. Scary part is, we may be recruiting for the wrong kind of system in our part of the country. Pelinis staff complained that they had all of these wco kids. Callahan complained about the roster he took over. Frost didn't like the makeup of Riley's roster. as much as I like Nebraska football of the past, I now want a heads up quarterback that can distribute the ball to four or five potential playmakers on any given play with consistency. Expecting explosive plays with your QB running the ball is not a winning formula. Frost has become Solich because his quarterbacks aren't good passers

Reactions: countrybob
Let's look at Fitz.
He won the west in 2018 and he's gonna do it again this year
How does he do it?
We know he doesn't load up on 4/5 stars, because Northwestern doesn't offer a degree in Ebonics.
So ...
Chemistry
Work ethic
leadership skills
putting the kid at the right position
molding scheme to available talent

Unlike PJ Fleck (who may be a flash in the pan, too early to tell) Fitz has been at his school for 20 years and head coach since 2006. He's had bad years and good years. But the kids he coaches know he isn't going anywhere, and that helps establish a tradition.

Reactions: WHCSC
I'm not sure Hannah runs well enough to play S. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in the portal.

Mauga has been playing ST, I almost feel like he is a guy without a true position. I think they wanted to move him to ILB or he already manned that position. I'm not sure what his eligibility is, but he needs a lot of S/C work.

He has the Poly blood in him. Give him a year in the S&C and he will put on enough mass. The real question is whether he will master the scheme enough to perform without thinking too much.

ADVERTISEMENT