ADVERTISEMENT

Keegan Johnson

To answer this- Watts and Johnson are similarly ranked players from Rivals and 247. Dickerson obviously higher ranked.

But it’s much more about optics for me, and Frost achieving his goal of keeping local talent here. Not that any of the three players are irreplaceable, but there’s a clear advantage to locking down homegrown talent. Johnson being a legacy kid doesn’t help.

Watts was more of a one off for me, but now losing 3 local kids we wanted? Not a good look. Two to division rivals?? Even worse.

Sure we’ve landed some other local talent, but we don’t produce enough talent to miss on 3 in 2 years.

I won’t blame coaches even as I don’t know what happened, but no question it’s a bad situation.

There’s an easy fix- the oft-beaten deader than dead equine.... winning some games.

I’ll like our recruiting chances much more once we can prove something on the field. The recent negative trajectory is getting dangerously close to the point of no return.

We get W’s and new facilities and recruiting will pick up— and it hasn’t been awful, but also attrition has made it worse.
What do you mean by the recent negative tragectory?

"This staffs track record and usage of TE's." Would you point out to me exactly what the track record of the past two years for using TE. The room has size and some talent. Is there a lack of confidence in the TE or game planning? This is an element of the team I was excited to be see used, but so far they have been none existent.
Aikins was a 3rd round pick at UCF and Still has caught almost as many balls the last two years (46) as Kittle did his whole career at Iowa (48)

Reactions: dinglefritz
Aikins was a 3rd round draft pick for Frost at UCF.

What do you mean by the recent negative tragectory?

3 losing seasons in a row.... 4 losing seasons in 5 years.

We’re pretty irrelevant for high school age kids until we stop the downward slide.

I’ve not lost hope and like a lot of what is coming together on the roster, but if W’s don’t come soon the recruiting will tank. Frost is only recruiting ok because he still has credibility. If losing continues HS kids won’t care what he accomplished 5+ years before.

We’re pretty irrelevant for high school age kids until we stop the downward slide.

I’ve not lost hope and like a lot of what is coming together on the roster, but if W’s don’t come soon the recruiting will tank. Frost is only recruiting ok because he still has credibility. If losing continues HS kids won’t care what he accomplished 5+ years before.
I agree we need to win, now. But not sure about the recruiting doom and gloom. Our recruiting has been good. We had back to back Top 20 classes and have pulled in some top end guy that we haven’t gotten in years. Some fans are freaking out about losing an instate kid with offers from KSU and Iowa, while just last week we got a verbal from a kid with offers from: Florida, FSU, Miami, Georgia, Penn State, etc.

Aikins was a 3rd round pick at UCF and Still has caught almost as many balls the last two years (46) as Kittle did his whole career at Iowa (48)
10.5 per catch for Stoll and 15.4 for Kittle. I don’t understand your argument. TE’s are used for short routes under Frost? That’s a great selling point. ;)

10.5 per catch for Stoll and 15.4 for Kittle. I don’t understand your argument. TE’s are used for short routes under Frost? That’s a great selling point. ;)
Jordan Akins averaged 16.1 (senior) and 15.1 (junior) ypc under Frost; his best average under the previous staff was 11.3 ypc. Stoll's not the model for his system. Akins was and Fidone is.

This. Nebraska can thump it’s chest about greatness 20 years ago (which is valid) but that doesn’t translate to high school kids committing. The best recruiters in world can only do so much. The losing seasons didn’t happen in a vacuum. Recruits want to win now, and a chance at the nfl. The numbers in recent history are not on Nebraska’s side.

Last edited:
This. Nebraska can thump it’s chest about greatness 20 years ago (which is valid) but that doesn’t translate to recruits high school kids committing. The best recruiters in world can only do so much. The losing seasons didn’t happen in a vacuum. Recruits want to win now, and a chance at the nfl. The numbers in recent history are not on Nebraska’s side.
Then why does Nebraska still consistently out recruit Iowa. Perhaps Nebraska has more to sell than you want to believe.

Last edited:
I would think a troll could spot another troll. But no one ever accused you guys of being intelligent.

From the father today, says it all. It's why Iowa was the easy choice:

Clester: Let me tell you, I want to commend Scott Frost and his staff. Those guys are great coaches and did a fabulous job recruiting him. At the end of the day, what it comes down to is winning. If you go back 5 years, when Keagan was 12 and starts paying attention to college football more, they like people who are winners. C.J. and Cade when they grew up, they liked USC because of Reggie Bush. It's not my Nebraska today. They can see not winning and not going to bowl games. Do I want to go down there and be a part of that? When do I think things will get going again? Will it be a couple years? Three years? Four years? He wants to go to a place where things are rolling pretty good and he wants to help enhance that.

The why does Nebraska still consistently out recruit Iowa. Perhaps Nebraska has more to sell than you want to believe.

They out-recruit Iowa? According to what, a Rivals recruiting ranking? What matters most is how does recruiting translate to performance on the field. For the past 20 years Iowa has been better--20 years! You can have your recruiting rankings-- I'll take on the field performance.

The last 20 years? Better scale that back to ten....

Iowa W/L 2000-2009: 80-45
Nebraska W/L 2000-2009: 84-44

Iowa W/L 2010-2019: 81-49
Nebraska W/L 2010-2019: 75-54

We can keep it a 20 years though, that's fine.

2000-2019:

Nebraska has played in one National Championship game.
Iowa has played in zero.

Nebraska has played in four conference championship games.

Iowa has played in one, but shared two championships.
*Nebraska would have shared the Big XII conference title with Oklahoma in 2010 had the Big XII not had a conference championship game.

Let's look at some factors, though.

Iowa's HCs during that time: Kirk Ferentz

Nebraska's HCs during that time: Frank Solich, Bo Pelini (interim), Bill Callahan, Bo Pelini, Barney Cotton (interim), Mike Riley, Scott Frost

Nebraska has done literally EVERYTHING to try to elevate their success during this time including changing offensive schemes at least four times and going from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense just three years ago.

On top of that, they had the added handicap of changing conferences and having to familiarize themselves with an entirely different region of teams and their playing styles.

Iowa instead stayed the course and played against mostly the same teams they have for decades...and Ol' Steady Eddie racked up 2, yes 1+1, more wins than Nebraska during that 20 year span.

Congrats, Hawks. Huge ups. Best 20 years of your football lives.

Slice it how ever you want, Iowa has had the better program by on-the-field performance for the past 20 years now. Throw in all the lame ass excuses you want, but doesn't change the result.

Again, from the father of Keagan Johnson today as how Nebraska is today vs. his day in the mid 1990's. He actually played for NE while you were hugging your Husker teddy bear in the stands:

Clester: Let me tell you, I want to commend Scott Frost and his staff. Those guys are great coaches and did a fabulous job recruiting him. At the end of the day, what it comes down to is winning. If you go back 5 years, when Keagan was 12 and starts paying attention to college football more, they like people who are winners. C.J. and Cade when they grew up, they liked USC because of Reggie Bush. It's not my Nebraska today. They can see not winning and not going to bowl games. Do I want to go down there and be a part of that? When do I think things will get going again? Will it be a couple years? Three years? Four years? He wants to go to a place where things are rolling pretty good and he wants to help enhance that.

They out-recruit Iowa? According to what, a Rivals recruiting ranking? What matters most is how does recruiting translate to performance on the field. For the past 20 years Iowa has been better--20 years! You can have your recruiting rankings-- I'll take on the field performance.
Except you haven’t been. Over the best stretch in Iowa history and the worst stretch in Nebraska history, you still aren’t better. That’s pretty sad. Not as sad as running to another teams message board to flap your gums, but pathetic none the less.

Slice it how ever you want, Iowa has had the better program by on-the-field performance for the past 20 years now. Throw in all the lame ass excuses you want, but doesn't change the result.

Again, from the father of Keagan Johnson today as how Nebraska is today vs. his day in the mind 1990's. He actually played for NE while you were hugging your Husker teddy bear in the stands:

Better by two games in 20 years, son. Nebraska's fired four coaches for that much failure. You guys are gonna build a Ferentz statue and paint a mural on your bus for the guy. If only he had more NFL talent, amirite?

Clester knows. Clester also knows Nebraska will be back, too. Enjoy your pinnacle because these two programs are ships passing in the night and Iowa can't go where Nebraska was or where they'll be again.

Last edited:
Except you haven’t been. Over the best stretch in Iowa history and the worst stretch in Nebraska history, you still aren’t better. That’s pretty sad. Not as sad as running to another teams message board to flap your gums, but pathetic none the less.

Love how some of you have been turned inside out and have such a hatred now for Iowa out of one thing- envy. Dude, stop being so consumed by Iowa.

Reactions: BC Hawk
If that’s the case, Nebraska can keep out recruiting Iowa till the end of time for all I care. You win in June, we win in November.
You really think Iowa is impressive. If only there was a board where someone might agree.

Does this trolling and shit talking really make you feel good about Iowa or yourself? Because, honestly it is pathetic. But it is the Iowa way apparently.

Last edited:
Better by two games in 20 years, son. Nebraska's fired four coaches for that much failure. You guys are gonna build a Ferentz statue and paint a mural on your bus for the guy. If only he had more NFL talent, amirite?

Clester knows. Clester also knows Nebraska will be back, too. Enjoy your pinnacle because these two programs are ships passing the night and Iowa can't go where Nebraska was or where they'll be again.

At the end of the day, what it comes down to is winning. If you go back 5 years, when Keagan was 12 and starts paying attention to college football more, they like people who are winners. C.J. and Cade when they grew up, they liked USC because of Reggie Bush. It's not my Nebraska today. They can see not winning and not going to bowl games. Do I want to go down there and be a part of that? When do I think things will get going again? Will it be a couple years? Three years? Four years? He wants to go to a place where things are rolling pretty good and he wants to help enhance that.

Reactions: Bonerfarts
At the end of the day, what it comes down to is winning. If you go back 5 years, when Keagan was 12 and starts paying attention to college football more, they like people who are winners. C.J. and Cade when they grew up, they liked USC because of Reggie Bush. It's not my Nebraska today. They can see not winning and not going to bowl games. Do I want to go down there and be a part of that? When do I think things will get going again? Will it be a couple years? Three years? Four years? He wants to go to a place where things are rolling pretty good and he wants to help enhance that.
5 years. Nebraska's been really bad for about five years and good on Johnson for paying attention. Iowa's been Iowa forever. They're 7-10 wins and a December bowl game. Book it. That's purgatory, you deserve it.

Love how some of you have been turned inside out and have such a hatred now for Iowa out of one thing- envy. Dude, stop being so consumed by Iowa.

Even you can see the irony of posting this on a Nebraska message board, right? If you aren’t worried about Nebraska and aren’t jealous of Nebraska why are you spending so much time here, begging for validation?

It is one thing, but it sure as hell isn't envy. It’s posters like you. But you already know that, and you love playing the troll role.

Reactions: headcard
I agree we need to win, now. But not sure about the recruiting doom and gloom. Our recruiting has been good. We had back to back Top 20 classes and have pulled in some top end guy that we haven’t gotten in years. Some fans are freaking out about losing an instate kid with offers from KSU and Iowa, while just last week we got a verbal from a kid with offers from: Florida, FSU, Miami, Georgia, Penn State, etc.

Agreed. I never meant to say recent recruiting is awful. It’s been solid especially considering circumstances.

These are just tough close to home losses. But recruiting will surely diminish if W’s don’t come.

As for Clester’s quote:
1. I get it. I do.
2. F*kk that- sounds like someone wanting it easy and bailing on their alma mater not wanting to be part of the solution. Husker Nation needs some unity of purpose right now, and former National Champs should want to be part of that taking the challenge head on- not running away from Florida Orange Bowl curse. Nat Champs didn’t come to those who gave up on the vision and Clester should know.

Time to get the kids who wanna believe. I hope so much the turnaround happens while the kids who bailed are still playing to see it up close and personal.

giphy.gif

Yep, this thread was as bad as they said it would be. From both sides.

LOL If you going to go that rout, you can also say Nebraska has never won a national championship on the field, they have all been voted on. The last Big ten championship Iowa tied Ohio State, but since they were not on each other's schedule they tied. Kind of like Nebraska and Michigan shared the 97 National championship. I don't hold teams responsible for how they win championships, they can only play the teams on their schedule. LOL If only they had conference championships and national championship games since the NCAA's inception. Well, if they had that, fan bases wouldn't have as much to argue about. LOL

LOL, Better look up 1971 season than..

Beating the 2, 3 and 4 ranked teams..

Going back to Iowa, Ohio St never lost did they that season and Iowa lost to Iowa St and USC...

So Nebraska, Michigan and Ohio St were National Champs... Iowa lost to Iowa St... Let that sink in.

82, 99, 00 were Top 5 type Nebraska teams and all killed Iowa. ISU beat a solid Nebraska team in 92, that would have been equal to Iowa’s 81 win.
Yes,Fry was still rebuilding at Iowa in the early 80's. I wouldn't be bragging about losing to ISU either. LOL BTW, that 1992 Iowa State team lost to Iowa, that was ISU's 10th loss in a row, and a losing streak that lasted 15 games. LOL

Yes,Fry was still rebuilding at Iowa in the early 80's. I wouldn't be bragging about losing to ISU either. LOL BTW, that 1992 Iowa State team lost to Iowa, that was ISU's 10th loss in a row, and a losing streak that lasted 15 games. LOL
No one is bragging about losing to ISU. Following that ISU loss, Nebraska lost one game the next three years. That’s why it was an upset, like losing to Iowa in 81. Your ignorance is shocking. Even for an Iowa fan.

Last edited:
LOL, Better look up 1971 season than..

Beating the 2, 3 and 4 ranked teams..

Going back to Iowa, Ohio St never lost did they that season and Iowa lost to Iowa St and USC...

So Nebraska, Michigan and Ohio St were National Champs... Iowa lost to Iowa St... Let that sink in.
Yes, your correct. However, tOSU won the national championship that year. Are you going to look down on Ohio State for tying Iowa as big ten champs? I doubt it. You can't do much if you don't meet on the field. I bet a lot of Penn State fans were unhappy to finish undefeated and finish second to Nebraska when Nebraska won by a vote. Who knows the outcome if they played the game. Same with Iowa vs Ohio State, anything can happen. ;)

I'm a Husker fan, it is why I am here. But I don't buy into the manufactured "rivalry" between Iowa and Nebraska.

That said, Iowa has most definitely been better than Nebraska in recruiting and in playing. Since 2015, Iowa has had 20 NFL draft picks, 4 in the first round. Nebraska has had 11, 0 in the first round. And that margin will widen next year.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Jordan Akins averaged 16.1 (senior) and 15.1 (junior) ypc under Frost; his best average under the previous staff was 11.3 ypc. Stoll's not the model for his system. Akins was and Fidone is.
You’re hitching your ride to a TE that played against AAC defenses and wasn’t recruited by Frost? Hockenson and Fant’s numbers blow Akins out of the water. 4 TD’s his senior year? Jock and Fant had more playing on the same team, their third year on campus.

You can’t argue that Kirk is proven, while Frost is still a question mark.

No, there is more about college football then just winning. ;) See Penn State there.
Lol....the entire Iowa fan playbook has been played out ITT and here we have the “we don’t have an elite history of college football relevance, but at least our program is clean” fan.....RollingLaugh

BTW, the mother of at least one sexual assault victim doesn’t think highly of KF or the Iowa football program..

Reactions: headcard
Check Iowa's record over the past 20 years and check Nebraska's and while at it, during those last 20 years, check final top 10 rankings of both schools (Iowa has 4)-- then get back to us with the results.

Iowa actually has 5 Top 10 finishes (02, 03, 04, 09, 15).

Yes, your correct. However, tOSU won the national championship that year. Are you going to look down on Ohio State for tying Iowa as big ten champs? I doubt it. You can't do much if you don't meet on the field. I bet a lot of Penn State fans were unhappy to finish undefeated and finish second to Nebraska when Nebraska won by a vote. Who knows the outcome if they played the game. Same with Iowa vs Ohio State, anything can happen. ;)

Never said Penn St didn’t deserve their share but they made their bed joining a conference that would have rather go play in the Rose Bowl than play for the National Title..

I’m not looking down on Ohio St or iowa for sharing the title, but you can’t claim it outright can you and iowa didn’t go unbeaten did they ? and I did mention tOSU won the National title you didn’t have to retype it when I told you in the first place.

Iowa actually has 5 Top 10 finishes (02, 03, 04, 09, 15).
And only two other seasons where they were ranked at all. That's right despite all the stability, the best run in Iowa football has had them even ranked about a third of the time.

Despite having 5 different Head Coaches, Nebraska has been ranked 9 times. Nebraska has also played for a National Championship, Iowa has not. Nebraska has played in 4 Conference Championships, Iowa 1. Nebraska has won their division outright 3 times, Iowa 1. Nebraska has at least shared their division 7 times, Iowa 3. And that is comparing the best 20 years of Iowa football to one of the worst for Nebraska. So spare us all the mighty Iowa talk.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT