ADVERTISEMENT

Keegan Johnson

giphy.gif

Was Nebraska pursuing him all that hard?
People close to his recruitment have said, KJ did not think he was a priority for Nebraska. I thought this was always a tough one for the staff. It wasn't like Watts or Dickerson, where he was near the top of their board, that's for sure. It seemed like they were forced to offer him after Iowa did and, honestly, if Iowa hadn't offered, I'm still not sure Nebraska would have. This is a guy with only 3 P5 offers. It sucks losing an in-state legacy kid, but if he wasn't a legacy, we would be whining about taking a commit from a kid with his profile. A bit of a no win situation.

This sucks! Huge loss for us Huskers! Good get, Iowa.
Losing any instate is bad. This is going to sound bad, but his talent is a dime a dozen. This doesn't suck for the fact we lost out on some uber talented kid, we can pull in 5 kids just like him, it sucks because we need to keep any instate talent home. Again Im sure this comes across as "we didn't want him anyways". I did want him,wish he would have picked here. I just don't think it is a massive miss from a talent perspective.

4th and final thought: There isn't any such thing as "suck more" than Iowa; it's an impossibility. Iowa is "suck." In fact, it is redundant to say "Iowa sucks." It's saying "suck sucks." The two words are interchangeable. Instead of "It sucks that we have to go to Iowa," you can say "It Iowas that we have to go to Iowa," or "it sucks that we have to go to suck."
It must suck losing to Iowa every season...It must suck sitting home during bowl season...yessir Stinkin Lincoln is where it all happens!!!

Reactions: Bucky712
Nebraska is stocked at WR and may not be as desperate. Iowa is not and could be pressuring him to verbal.

Agreed with your comments until you got to this point. Outside of Robinson, there's not a guy in the Nebraska WR room I'd swap with an upcoming Hawkeye WR. (maybe Spielman assuming he's even playing again). I just don't think you're aware of what Iowa has in the WR room IMO, and that's OK, you're a Husker fan so that's understandable.

It must suck losing to Iowa every season...It must suck sitting home during bowl season...yessir Stinkin Lincoln is where it all happens!!!
Nebraska has been to 53 bowl games, Iowa 33.

Nebraska is 29-18-3 against Iowa head-to-head.

You guys come over to brag about getting a first down in a game you're losing by 30. It's adorable.

Iowa has only had 3 WRs drafted in the last 20 years. Nebraska, 5.

Fidone will likely choose Nebraska. Nebraska's had 1 TE drafted in the last 20 years. Iowa, 11.

Tell us again which one is making the bad choice? Don't let the data get in your way.

The Johnson kid is. Iowa hasn't had a WR drafted since 2012! Yikes!

People close to his recruitment have said, KJ did not think he was a priority for Nebraska. I thought this was always a tough one for the staff. It wasn't like Watts or Dickerson, where he was near the top of their board, that's for sure. It seemed like they were forced to offer him after Iowa did and, honestly, if Iowa hadn't offered, I'm still not sure Nebraska would have. This is a guy with only 3 P5 offers. It sucks losing an in-state legacy kid, but if he wasn't a legacy, we would be whining about taking a commit from a kid with his profile. A bit of a no win situation.

Not that it matters but Iowa State and Nebraska offered, Iowa did the next day.

Recruiting: Johnson currently has offers from Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas State, Nebraska, North Dakota State, Northern Illinois, South Dakota State and Wyoming.

"[Nebraska and] Iowa State [offered] on the same night and then, Iowa the next day. It was a surreal feeling because it's what you work for. I try not to get frustrated over the whole recruiting process because everyone has their different times. It's hard to see that time coming, but I try to keep that same mindset that everyone has a different road. I knew when it was my time, it was my time. That's basically it.

https://n.rivals.com/news/in-state-tour-bellevue-west-9

Reactions: Clouserp
Not that it matters but Iowa State and Nebraska offered, Iowa did the next day.

Recruiting: Johnson currently has offers from Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas State, Nebraska, North Dakota State, Northern Illinois, South Dakota State and Wyoming.

"[Nebraska and] Iowa State [offered] on the same night and then, Iowa the next day. It was a surreal feeling because it's what you work for. I try not to get frustrated over the whole recruiting process because everyone has their different times. It's hard to see that time coming, but I try to keep that same mindset that everyone has a different road. I knew when it was my time, it was my time. That's basically it.

https://n.rivals.com/news/in-state-tour-bellevue-west-9

Thanks. I seemed to recall him taking that visit to Iowa and then us offering, right away. Either way, congrats.

Thanks. I seemed to recall him taking that visit to Iowa and then us offering, right away. Either way, congrats.

Thank you
I see you have the POY in Hawaii visiting. Looks like a good receiver. It is really hard to tell how any of them will do in college. Game really changes from HS to D1.

Good luck in recruiting and next season. Ready to get back to some good discussion about football. I thinks a few fans really ruin good conversations between fan bases. I am too old for that crap.

Agreed with your comments until you got to this point. Outside of Robinson, there's not a guy in the Nebraska WR room I'd swap with an upcoming Hawkeye WR. (maybe Spielman assuming he's even playing again). I just don't think you're aware of what Iowa has in the WR room IMO, and that's OK, you're a Husker fan so that's understandable.
Agree, Im not talking current WR. Im saying we are stacked on the young guys incoming. Plus whatever we get in the 2021 class. He would have a up hill battle to beat many of these guys out. At Iowa he will stand out. I don't fault him. Go where you will get guarantee playing time and have a chance to shine.
2020 class
Zavier Betts .9506
Alante Brown .8897
Marcus Fleming. 9075
Omar Manning . 9053
William Nixon .8647

Compare that to Iowa 2020 class

Diante Vines .8530
Quavon Matthews .8296 .

Last edited:
Reactions: scarletred
Agree, Im not talking current WR. Im saying we are stacked on the young guys incoming. Plus whatever we get in the 2021 class. He would have a up hill battle to beat many of these guys out. At Iowa he will stand out. I don't fault him. Go where you will get guarantee playing time and have a chance to shine.
2020 class
Alante Brown .8897
Marcus Fleming. 9075
Omar Manning . 9053
William Nixon .8647
Jimari Butler .8621
Niko Cooper .8594

Deontae Craig .8897
Diante Vines .8530
Quavon Matthews .8296 .
Why did you include Butler and Cooper, they are OLB's. Also, you left off your highest rated WR, Betts .9506

Reactions: leodisflowers
Well you would know about below average results. Funny how you think the B1G is so powerful. Was it a big boy conference when Pelini (an average coach) won 9+ every year and owned Iowa? Or did it just become a big boy conference when Nebraska hired a bad coach?
owned iowa. he was 3-1(a few points from 2-2, a couple scores from 1-3) and outscored us by 1 point while he was coaching for you.

that is your definition of "owning" these days.

Arguing who is a better program is irrational on here. Historically Nebraska is a Blue blood yes. Who has been a better program since these kids have been alive is the question that needs answered. I’m not bored enough to look up statistics. Recruiting is all about momentum and right now 5 in a row is making a difference. I think the biggest flaw for Nebraska is offering 400+ kids and not having an actual identity about what type of kid they want. Get back to making offensive and defensive line play being priority rather than all these scratch and dent 4* from who knows where and you’re back. Just my undeducated opinion.

2020 class
Alante Brown .8897
Marcus Fleming. 9075
Omar Manning . 9053
William Nixon .8647
Jimari Butler .8621
Niko Cooper .8594

Deontae Craig .8897
Diante Vines .8530
Quavon Matthews .8296 .

I'm not going to speculate on kids who haven't even stepped on to the college field yet, that is a fool's errand and scout rankings amount to a pool of spit. Johnson will have to earn his playing time just like any walk-on or 5* recruit would as well.

That being said, from a current WR perspective, the path to playing time appears clearer in Lincoln than Iowa City currently, but as you know a lot can change from year to year.

I'm glad to have Johnson, not necessarily a speed merchant, but I really like his physicality and overall athleticism. Seems like a great kid as well, which is a trait many programs don't emphasize when throwing out offers. Character counts, and it counts even more in Iowa City.

Arguing who is a better program is irrational on here. Historically Nebraska is a Blue blood yes. Who has been a better program since these kids have been alive is the question that needs answered. I’m not bored enough to look up statistics. Recruiting is all about momentum and right now 5 in a row is making a difference. I think the biggest flaw for Nebraska is offering 400+ kids and not having an actual identity about what type of kid they want. Get back to making offensive and defensive line play being priority rather than all these scratch and dent 4* from who knows where and you’re back. Just my undeducated opinion.
Why are Iowa fans obsessed with the number of recruits Nebraska offers? BTW, I would say recruiting has been pretty darn good for Nebraska, since Frost got to town. Also, our OL recruiting has been the best it's been in a long time. Unfortunately you might have a point on our DL recruiting, it has ben pretty underwhelming.

Why are Iowa fans obsessed with the number of recruits Nebraska offers? BTW, I would say recruiting has been pretty darn good for Nebraska, since Frost got to town. Also, our OL recruiting has been the best it's been in a long time. Unfortunately you might have a point on our DL recruiting, it has ben pretty underwhelming.

I can only speak for myself and I’m not obsessed. I’m just assuming it’s pretty difficult to develop a culture of any sort without actually having mold or cast of what type of football player/kid you want. Doesn’t matter if he is best prospect in the world if he’s not there mentally. Some of the highest ranked recruits Iowa ever never saw the field because of that. Once again that’s just my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT