ADVERTISEMENT

Keegan Johnson

I think it's more so who the kid is. He's not just some random 3* kid off the street. Didn't his dad go to Nebraska? So he's a great player that's a legacy recruit an hour from campus. You need to lock down kids like that.

Tell us how we do that very thing? WE have signed 8 4 star WRs and a high 3 star WRS and if Johnson is looking for playing time, then how do you do that? Frost and Lubick offer KJ right away, they been all over him and done what appears to be the right things but Iowa can offer something we can’t..so again, how do you lock said player down then?

Reactions: bigredhunter
I r
wow, having a bad day or what? Literally everything any of us talk on this free message board is all based around hopes, guessing, speculating and so on...don’t try and flip all this bad on me. I have never CLAIMED to be an expert and all knowing. No one knows a thing what’s going on with these guys. None of us. But you feel need to hammer on my thoughts based off our past disagreements? Talk about holding grudges. And yes, everything I talking about in this thread is me just talking and thinking out loud, as I’m sure everyone I’m chatting with knows. Point taken, none of us know a thing and have no clue what’s going on...can we move along now?
I remember you saying on the Hawkeye bird that for a fact he is taking visits to both. Nobody takes any information you provide with a grain of salt. And if you look at what Iowa’s offense did last year their top 4 wr had collectively more yards and catches than Kansas state or Nebraska. Food for thought Salty.

I r

I remember you saying on the Hawkeye bird that for a fact he is taking visits to both. Nobody takes any information you provide with a grain of salt. And if you look at what Iowa’s offense did last year their top 4 wr had collectively more yards and catches than Kansas state or Nebraska. Food for thought Salty.

It’s exactly what was posted on here and on your very own Iowa site. He had officials for Iowa and Nebraska in place and was working on a KSU visit. It was right on the front page of Huskersonline and your Hawkeye Rivkas page. So yes, he wanted to take visits first. Not my fault Kirk gave him an ultimatum.

I r

I would probably look at the offenses from every single year Frost has coached, rather than just last year. Food for thought.

Reactions: huskerssalts
I remember you saying on the Hawkeye bird that for a fact he is taking visits to both.

200.gif

Johnson won’t make a decision till he takes his officials which will be to Nebraska and Iowa.

Reactions: chaneccooms
wow, having a bad day or what? Literally everything any of us talk on this free message board is all based around hopes, guessing, speculating and so on...don’t try and flip all this bad on me. I have never CLAIMED to be an expert and all knowing. No one knows a thing what’s going on with these guys. None of us. But you feel need to hammer on my thoughts based off our past disagreements? Talk about holding grudges. And yes, everything I talking about in this thread is me just talking and thinking out loud, as I’m sure everyone I’m chatting with knows. Point taken, none of us know a thing and have no clue what’s going on...can we move along now?
What past disagreements? I don’t know what you’re talking about.

I didn’t know my post would offend you so much. The sunshine pumping and outlandishly positive predictions get a little heavy. And a lot of people on this board post speculation based on some sort of fact or information. And for the love of all things, stay off Iowas board. You're better than them.

I guess I’d take your kool aid lovin arse over the constant negative nancys, so there’s that.

Again, that was his plans. You giving me crap because Kirk said commit now or chance losing your scholarship? Because that’s exactly what he wanted to do was take visits first. This is even per Iowa’s board.

Reactions: headcard
Best of luck to the kid.

Ask yourself how you have always responded when a 3-star WR commits to a school, be it yours or another, and act accordingly when he announces.

My response if it's Nebraska (which it won't be): We need to recruit 4* or 5* guys or 3* guys with elite size or speed. This guy doesn't fit that criteria, but I trust the staff.

My response if it's Iowa: Iowa had a 3* receiver commit. Next.

It COULD be Nebraska.
I’d certainly like it to be. I think this is an important recruit.
I have no idea if the staff thinks so or not. We don’t and likely won’t know.

Tell us how we do that very thing? WE have signed 8 4 star WRs and a high 3 star WRS and if Johnson is looking for playing time, then how do you do that? Frost and Lubick offer KJ right away, they been all over him and done what appears to be the right things but Iowa can offer something we can’t..so again, how do you lock said player down then?

I'm not a head coach so how would I know how to lock down a state's recruiting? I'm just quoting what he said.

I would probably look at the offenses from every single year Frost has coached, rather than just last year. Food for thought.
I don’t disagree that the past says Nebraska uses them more, but Iowa has 2 seniors graduating and playing time will potentially be available early. Iowa also has run the shotgun and 4 wide more than ever without 2 first round tight ends to take up yards and catches. My unbiased opinion is that Frost didn’t make a Johnson a priority and Iowa winning 10 games last year and more specifically how Iowa used their wr against USC was attractive to him

no doubt, how did 2018 look.

Huskers top 2 WRs went for Stan Morgan 70 rc and 1004 yards and JD Speilman 66 rc and 818 yards

Iowa’s top 2 WRs Nick Easley had 52 rc for 494 yards and TJ Hockenson had 49 rc for 760 yards.

I don’t disagree that the past says Nebraska uses them more, but Iowa has 2 seniors graduating and playing time will potentially be available early. Iowa also has run the shotgun and 4 wide more than ever without 2 first round tight ends to take up yards and catches. My unbiased opinion is that Frost didn’t make a Johnson a priority and Iowa winning 10 games last year and more specifically how Iowa used their wr against USC was attractive to him
I do think you are right about the staff not making him a priority. I think he noticed that Nebraska waited until Iowa and KSU offered to throw their hat in the ring. I’m not sure I buy Iowa’s passing attack being a big factor, as they still didn’t throw it around much. Either way, Iowa made him a priority and it’s a good fit for him.

I do think you are right about the staff not making him a priority. I think he noticed that Nebraska waited until Iowa and KSU offered to throw their hat in the ring. I’m not sure I buy Iowa’s passing attack being a big factor, as they still didn’t throw it around much. Either way, Iowa made him a priority and it’s a good fit for him.

No doubt. Recruiting is a weird game. Either way best of luck to you guys. I just hope there is a football season to watch.

I think it's more so who the kid is. He's not just some random 3* kid off the street. Didn't his dad go to Nebraska? So he's a great player that's a legacy recruit an hour from campus. You need to lock down kids like that.

Eh...You want to try and lock up legacy's, but I think school's continue to go after the best kids they can get. If legacy's fit in that fine, but some of this is overblown. He's a nice target for anyone who gets him, but it is fact we are recruiting better players than him, and hell Iowa might even be doing the same. I don't really follow their recruiting. If he goes to Iowa there is going to be a huge fuss especially if 2 years down the road he tears it up, but it is what it is. You win some and lose some in recruiting. This won't be the first or last time a Nebraska kid goes elsewhere and succeeds.

what the hell does that have to do with recruiting WRs? What, disliked losing so now you’re getting desperate and going for a different stats?

I mean congrats on getting all these highly ranked WR's the last couple recruiting cycles. It doesnt seem to be translating to many wins for Nebraska.

Let me guess, this season is going to be different.

I mean congrats on getting all these highly ranked WR's the last couple recruiting cycles. It doesnt seem to be translating to many wins for Nebraska.

let’s see how year 3-5 look first. I mean Kirk Ferentz at Iowa went 1-10, 3-9 and then 6-5 his first 3 years of his rebuild. Not to mention those WRs we recruited are true freshmen or just redshirted (some haven’t even hit campus yet)....maybe we see how they do first before laying any claims?

Reactions: headcard
3rd thought: Nebraska must suck more
4th and final thought: There isn't any such thing as "suck more" than Iowa; it's an impossibility. Iowa is "suck." In fact, it is redundant to say "Iowa sucks." It's saying "suck sucks." The two words are interchangeable. Instead of "It sucks that we have to go to Iowa," you can say "It Iowas that we have to go to Iowa," or "it sucks that we have to go to suck."

And congrats to you on living through the pinnacle of Iowa football, seems amazing. 8 win seasons, pig trophies and what not.

But let me guess, this season will be different.

no doubt, how did 2018 look.

Huskers top 2 WRs went for Stan Morgan 70 rc and 1004 yards and JD Speilman 66 rc and 818 yards

Iowa’s top 2 WRs Nick Easley had 52 rc for 494 yards and TJ Hockenson had 49 rc for 760 yards.
Easley and Morgan got the same draft status for all that. Hockenson is a multimillionaire and jd left frost and neb lol. Solid argument I guess ;)

Hell, Kirk Ferentz during his rebuild at Iowa went 10-24 his first 3 years and so far Frost has gone 9-15...he’s doing better the Captain Kirk so far. Just saying...

Easley and Morgan got the same draft status for all that. Hockenson is a multimillionaire and jd left frost and neb lol. Solid argument I guess ;)

this wasn’t a “Who got drafted higher” thing. We where talking about college WR stats. And JD is far from gone. He took a leave of absence. Until he says “I’m transferring” he’s still a Husker. You are desperately trying to knock the Huskers that your grasping for anything you can right now.

Reactions: dochay and headcard
this wasn’t a “Who got drafted higher” thing. We where talking about college WR stats. And JD is far from gone. He took a leave of absence. Until he says “I’m transferring” he’s still a Husker.

There’s no dialogue between JD and our staff. I’d be highly surprised if he’s back. My guess is he retires. Transferring to Minnesota will be almost impossible scenario due to transfer rules.

And one of those two is a TE.
Both were the actually te he just didn't include fant over Easley. Crazy that when you have two 1st rounders that they might lead the team. Been probably a decade since you've seen a 1st rounder, so I forgive your ignorance.

this wasn’t a “Who got drafted higher” thing. We where talking about college WR stats. And JD is far from gone. He took a leave of absence. Until he says “I’m transferring” he’s still a Husker. You are desperately trying to knock the Huskers that your grasping for anything you can right now.
Lol ok. He just went on vacation.

I think most play NCAA to get NFL money not NCAA stats, but keep thinking that is what matters ;)

Both were the actually te he just didn't include fant over Easley. Crazy that when you have two 1st rounders that they might lead the team. Been probably a decade since you've seen a 1st rounder, so I forgive your ignorance.

for my ignorance? Again we where talking about top 2 WRs from each school. TJ had 49 rc vs Fants 39...that’s the only reason why I listed TJ. I said top 2 receivers from each school. I forgive you for your ignorance...

for my ignorance? Again we where talking about top 2 WRs from each school. TJ had 49 rc vs Fants 39...that’s the only reason why I listed TJ. I said top 2 receivers from each school. I forgive you for your ignorance...
So receptions are how you decide the top ones instead of yardage? Lol, right on then...

Reactions: herkyshere
He's not a high priority for this staff Imo. Guys like this are readily available. I think we've got bigger fish to fry before we fall back. Of course the player doesn't like to be slow played, but we simply need to be upgrading talent constantly and using schollies wisely.

Reactions: WHCSC and headcard
Frost's first season at Nebraska, we had the first 1,000 yard receiver in school history and another with 800+.

True, though I don't think you can give this staff much credit for developing Morgan and Spielman. Their stats were pretty much exactly the same in 2018 as they were in 2017 under Mike Riley. Morgan didn't even get drafted and Spielman just quit football altogether. No other WRs that year had more than 122 receiving yards.

Last year, even with the injury to Wandale and plenty of playing time available, our 3rd best receiver only had 17 catches for 245 yards, and our 4th best receiver only had 5 receptions for 109 yards and zero TDs. Meanwhile, Iowa had 4 WRs with at least 36 receptions and 439 yards.

So overall, yes our WR productions has been quite poor under Frost these first 2 years. We have only had 2 decent WRs each year, one of whom quit, and the rest have done almost nothing - in an offense that regularly uses 4 WRs at a time.

Last edited:
4th and final thought: There isn't any such thing as "suck more" than Iowa; it's an impossibility. Iowa is "suck." In fact, it is redundant to say "Iowa sucks." It's saying "suck sucks." The two words are interchangeable. Instead of "It sucks that we have to go to Iowa," you can say "It Iowas that we have to go to Iowa," or "it sucks that we have to go to suck."

I like this game, and even though I went to Iowa, I think I've got it figured out. For instance, you could say, (or is that should say?), "It Iowas that the Cornhuskers have lost five in a row to Iowa on the gridiron, including three in Lincoln. In one of those home games the Huskers really Iowa-ed, giving up 56 points and losing by 42."

No matter the decision tomorrow, I agree Johnson's recruitment is far from over. Player development is crucial, and recruiting rankings don't mean much when the game is played on the field. Too many factors at play to rely so heavily on player recruiting rankings out of highschool. Hope Frost can turn things around for your program, because our annual game is a lot more fun with more on the line every year. Hopefully we can agree on that.

True, though I don't think you can give this staff much credit for developing Morgan and Spielman. Their stats were pretty much exactly the same in 2018 as they were in 2017 under Mike Riley. Morgan didn't even get drafted and Spielman just quit football altogether. No other WRs that year had more than 122 receiving yards.

Last year, even with the injury to Wandale and plenty of playing time available, our 3rd best receiver only had 17 catches for 245 yards, and our 4th best receiver only had 5 receptions for 109 yards and zero TDs. Meanwhile, Iowa had 4 WRs with at least 36 receptions and 439 yards.

So overall, yes our WR productions has been quite poor under Frost these first 2 years. We have only had 2 decent WRs each year, one of whom quit, and the rest have done almost nothing.
It will be interesting to see if things are better under Lubick. For some reason, it seemed that under Walters the standard to meet for playing time was too high, from what I’ve seen on this board.

Hopefully Lubick trains them up and spreads the wealth around more.

No matter the decision tomorrow, I agree Johnson's recruitment is far from over. Player development is crucial, and recruiting rankings don't mean much when the game is played on the field. Too many factors at play to rely so heavily on player recruiting rankings out of highschool. Hope Frost can turn things around for your program, because our annual game is a lot more fun with more on the line every year. Hopefully we can agree on that.
Good post, but I can’t get behind your screen name. 3 of the fan bases that I am brought up to despise... Colorado, Iowa and Missouri.

Is there a way you can change that while posting over here? :)

ADVERTISEMENT