ADVERTISEMENT

Keegan Johnson

It’s screwed up, I can’t believe he’s letting Ferentz and Iowa dictate his recruitment. He went from wanting to visit both Iowa and Nebraska and trying to schedule a visit with KSU to suddenly he’s ready to commit just because Iowa MIGHT not have a spot for him if the other WR commits. I’d say screw Iowa and keep on the path he was on.

It’s screwed up, I can’t believe he’s letting Ferentz and Iowa dictate his recruitment. He went from wanting to visit both Iowa and Nebraska and trying to schedule a visit with KSU to suddenly he’s ready to commit just because Iowa MIGHT not have a spot for him if the other WR commits. I’d say screw Iowa and keep on the path he was on.
This is common, not just an Iowa thing. We do it as well... when a position fills, that’s it. You snooze you lose.

That’s how I feel about it.

I agree with your take. We need to bring in the best player, period. If a better receiver comes from out of state, then let’s go after them instead.

This is common, not just an Iowa thing. We do it as well... when a position fills, that’s it. You snooze you lose.

That’s how I feel about it.

right but he had other options. Iowa wasn’t his lone Power 5 team. It’s one thing when it’s you lone good offer. He could kill at KSU or Nebraska.

right but he had other options. Iowa wasn’t his lone Power 5 team. It’s one thing when it’s you lone good offer. He could kill at KSU or Nebraska.
I totally agree. Just saying what Iowa has done here is the same thing we have done as well. Johnson could easily tell Kirk to go fly a kite, but Iowa must interest him enough that he’s willing to commit before he intended to.

Reactions: RothMatt
I totally agree. Just saying what Iowa has done here is the same thing we have done as well. Johnson could easily tell Kirk to go fly a kite, but Iowa must interest him enough that he’s willing to commit before he intended to.

im pretty confident they are playing the playing time card with him. And that’s one area we can’t promise him. We have 8 4 star WRs and one high 3 star WR in past 2 recruiting classes.

Could it be where pops tells him to commit to Iowa now since the offer is on the table but still take the visit to us later, assuming we’ll still take him?

Could it be where pops tells him to commit to Iowa now since the offer is on the table but still take the visit to us later, assuming we’ll still take him?

definitely. This could be a move just to lock Iowa’s spot down and he could still look into KSUcks and the Huskers as well. He won’t sign Wednesday and it will be far from over.

Reactions: CatColumbia
All things aside, as a WR I'd have a hard time seeing the big appeal to Iowa over Nebraska when it comes to the system. Lots more opportunities to see the field with the 3+ WR sets we run compared to Iowa's pro style offense.

oh no doubt, we will most definitely get our guys. WR is one position I’m never worried about. Lubick and Frost will get talented players regardless.

I'm not as confident about WR, it's a position that has not produced much under Frost these first 2 years. We landed some promising recruits last class, but they they still have to prove themselves. Maybe Walters was the problem, but Lubick hasn't landed any recruits yet. And other than Jaylin Noel, we don't seem to be in on many top WRs for 2021.

I'm not as confident about WR, it's a position that has not produced much under Frost these first 2 years. We landed some promising recruits last class, but they they still have to prove themselves. Maybe Walters was the problem, but Lubick hasn't landed any recruits yet. And other than Jaylin Noel, we don't seem to be in on many top WRs for 2021.

Walters was the obvious issue with development, not Frost. Lubick wont have those same issues, he’s known for developing players. Look at what he did at Washington and Oregon.

Except Kirk shuts down the recruitment of guys who are committed. Will pull offer if they shop around on visits. So, no.

That will be on the Johnson’s. They can still talk the coaches and position coaches. If he likes what he sees at KSU or Nebraska better, he can literally flip Kirk the finger and go on visit and then commit. All in that order even :)

That will be on the Johnson’s. They can still talk the coaches and position coaches. If he likes what he sees at KSU or Nebraska better, he can literally flip Kirk the finger and go on visit and then commit. All in that order even :)
Yeah, he could, but like most of the stuff you post theres zero indication its a possibility.

If he flips kirk the bird it will be wednesday or never.

Yeah, he could, but like most of the stuff you post theres zero indication its a possibility.

If he flips kirk the bird it will be wednesday or never.

right, and like most things you or any of us post on here are guessing and speculations. That’s all any of us can do on here. I don’t think any of us are Power 5 coaches. And that’s your thoughts, if you think Wednesday is literally it, then that’s on you. The young man can and will do what he feels right then and months from now.

Every WR coach has a different mindset also in recruiting. It remains to be seen what kind of WR Matt Lubick will land in his first class.
Last year Ryan Held and others had a hand in the WR haul.
Nebraska doesn't typically hard sell recruits and put pressure on them. If this is the case, Iowa expects K Johnson to shut down his commitment.
In the last five year offensive trend for Iowa, I'm not sure Ferentz can sell him on a huge opportunity within the offense, especially considering how their TEs are used in the passing game.
Iowa Passing Offense
2015 204 yds/game
2016 154 yds/game
2017 190 yds/game
2018 226 yds/game
2019 228 yds/game

I'm not sold that it's K Johnson's best opportunity within an offense

right, and like most things you or any of us post on here are guessing and speculations. That’s all any of us can do on here. I don’t think any of us our Power 5 coaches.
You often post as though its not guessing or speculation. Usually very outlandish with zero fact to back it up. Your fantasies get a little strange, especially this one. There is zero indication or reason to believe Johnson's dad told his son to commit Wednesday to the Hawkeyes to secure a spot and then go on other visits just to flip kirk the bird later. Zero rational reason to even think that.
Again, if he wants the hawkeyes he will commit there wednesday. If he doesnt, he wont. There is no other reason or motive.

You often post as though its not guessing or speculation. Usually very outlandish with zero fact to back it up. Your fantasies get a little strange, especially this one. There is zero indication or reason to believe Johnson's dad told his son to commit Wednesday to the Hawkeyes to secure a spot and then go on other visits just to flip kirk the bird later. Zero rational reason to even think that.
Again, if he wants the hawkeyes he will commit there wednesday. If he doesnt, he wont. There is no other reason or motive.

wow, having a bad day or what? Literally everything any of us talk on this free message board is all based around hopes, guessing, speculating and so on...don’t try and flip all this bad on me. I have never CLAIMED to be an expert and all knowing. No one knows a thing what’s going on with these guys. None of us. But you feel need to hammer on my thoughts based off our past disagreements? Talk about holding grudges. And yes, everything I talking about in this thread is me just talking and thinking out loud, as I’m sure everyone I’m chatting with knows. Point taken, none of us know a thing and have no clue what’s going on...can we move along now?

Frost's first season at Nebraska, we had the first 1,000 yard receiver in school history and another with 800+.

Just two years ago we were an injury away from having two 1000 yard recievers... The opportunities are there for wide recievers.

Iowa makes sense for him and if that is where he wants to be, he should jump on it. Nebraska had an amazing haul at WR last year and I am confident we will sign multiple WR's ranked as high or higher than KJ when all is said and done, again this year.

agreed my man. Since Frost has been here we have constantly gotten some decent WR recruits that may or may not do great here at Nebraska. Sorry, trying NOT to act like I I’m all knowing and get my hopes up to high ;)

@huskerssalts on the Iowa board less than a week ago:

You guys are a bunch of sore losers. Once proved to you guys Wiltfong didn’t predict Iowa, you guys flip it to Rival predictions and act like Johnson will actually end up a Hawkeye...classic. Face it, you guys have a few IOWA GUYS guessing Iowa. Either way, best of luck but Johnson nor Fidone will end up Iowa.

now have fun talking smack because I’m literally leaving after I post this, you will be talking to yourselfs.

oh no doubt, we will most definitely get our guys. WR is one position I’m never worried about. Lubick and Frost will get talented players regardless.
So who other than Robinson has Frost brought in that has contributed? As far as I can remember, there were three recruits last year, Robinson was one. The experts had all three contributing. One is all ready gone. Recruits the previous years ?? I can't even remember there names.

Some people are kool aid drinkers so bad that I'm starting to see how Jim Jones was able to do what he did. People are blindly faithful and overtly brainwashed for no rhyme or reason.

In a state where there are only 4 or so power 5 conference material type players it's bad enough if 1 decides to go elsewhere but 2 or more is abysmal and telling. No sugarcoating, no "I saw him in person and wasn't impressed, no "we didn't want him anyway".

Hopefully he commits to Nebraska and they flip Dickerson back b4 signing day. These other schools see it's blood in the water and they gone really start coming in here heavy and harder if Frost doesn't start WINNING!

MAYBE he is just playing with Iowa’s emotions and is planning to commit to Nebraska... that would be pretty sweet. Either way you have to imagine this one isn’t over regardless of which team he commits to tomorrow.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Iowa makes sense for him and if that is where he wants to be, he should jump on it. Nebraska had an amazing haul at WR last year and I am confident we will sign multiple WR's ranked as high or higher than KJ when all is said and done, again this year.

Aren't you worried about how the optics look when your fan base starts going down the road of not caring about "legacy", good in-state recruits? It's not like he'd be a walk-on, he'll be pretty good.

Reactions: Red I 73
Wow. No way to spin this. We are losing some very good in-state talent and it has to stop. The losses on the field are coming home to roost. Still believe it Frost and staff but the climb out is getting steeper and harder.

Aren't you worried about how the optics look when your fan base starts going down the road of not caring about "legacy", good in-state recruits? It's not like he'd be a walk-on, he'll be pretty good.
No. Not as long as we can keep getting talent as good or better than him.

Reactions: WHCSC
Yes. That will be a much bigger issue than losing the player himself. The meltdown will be bad.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Maybe Frost offered to shut up his old man and we aren't really recruiting him that hard. Who knows. If he leaves, he leaves.

Yes. That will be a much bigger issue than losing the player himself. The meltdown will be bad.
I mean, I guess in the end it won't be too bad as long as this doesn't start a trend of legacy players leaving for other programs. But Frost made that one statement about locking down the state of Nebraska and lost (or is losing) two great recruits to rivals. We'll see I guess.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Wow. No way to spin this. We are losing some very good in-state talent and it has to stop. The losses on the field are coming home to roost. Still believe it Frost and staff but the climb out is getting steeper and harder.
I agree to a degree. However, last week we got a kid with offers from Florida, Florida State, Miami, Georgia, Penn State, etc and it was crickets, but now we want to freak out about losing a kid with offers from KSU and Iowa?

I agree to a degree. However, last week we got a kid with offers from Florida, Florida State, Miami, Georgia, Penn State, etc and it was crickets, but now we want to freak out about losing a kid with offers from KSU and Iowa?
I think it's more so who the kid is. He's not just some random 3* kid off the street. Didn't his dad go to Nebraska? So he's a great player that's a legacy recruit an hour from campus. You need to lock down kids like that.

I mean, I guess in the end it won't be too bad as long as this doesn't start a trend of legacy players leaving for other programs. But Frost made that one statement about locking down the state of Nebraska and lost (or is losing) two great recruits to rivals. We'll see I guess.
Of course he wants to keep instate kids, but I’m not sure why we would need to freak out over losing KJ and I am not sure what makes you classify him as a “great” recruit.

ADVERTISEMENT