ADVERTISEMENT

KC Royals have the best record in the American League

Correction for you - the Royals have the best record in the Major Leagues, not just the AL :).

I doubt the Royals will finish with baseball's best record. However, it is certainly possible that they contend for a playoff spot all season.

The pros are that they lengthened their line-up by adding Carlos Santana and Andrew Benintendi, Their bullpen has been consistently good this season, and that is with Holland and Davis definitely showing their age. They have also been doing this without who is considered their most talented player (Mondesi), albeit who is certainly not consistently their most productive player. Their presumed 'ace' - Brad Keller - has been pretty much awful in most of his starts this season, too. Aside from that, the starting pitching has been surprisingly good most of the season.

The cons are that Danny Duffy will not have a sub-zero ERA all season. They will rely heavily on Brady Singer, in just his second season (if you can count last year as his first) - who has been very good early, but you wonder if he can sustain if through 35 starts. They have another rookie making his debut tonight (Lynch), as injuries seem to have forced them to move Junis (who has been great in the rotation) back to the bullpen to cover for an injury to Zimmer. They have also had some games where their defense turns into the Bad News Bears (when Buttermaker was still drinking).

Overall, the Royals are a solid team. They may lack the star-power and raw talent that the White Sox have in their line-up, so I think it will be hard to stay in front of Chicago. But it is fair to suggest they could contend for a playoff spot this Summer.

They are fun to watch - no doubt about that.

Correction for you - the Royals have the best record in the Major Leagues, not just the AL :).

I doubt the Royals will finish with baseball's best record. However, it is certainly possible that they contend for a playoff spot all season.

The pros are that they lengthened their line-up by adding Carlos Santana and Andrew Benintendi, Their bullpen has been consistently good this season, and that is with Holland and Davis definitely showing their age. They have also been doing this without who is considered their most talented player (Mondesi), albeit who is certainly not consistently their most productive player. Their presumed 'ace' - Brad Keller - has been pretty much awful in most of his starts this season, too. Aside from that, the starting pitching has been surprisingly good most of the season.

The cons are that Danny Duffy will not have a sub-zero ERA all season. They will rely heavily on Brady Singer, in just his second season (if you can count last year as his first) - who has been very good early, but you wonder if he can sustain if through 35 starts. They have another rookie making his debut tonight (Lynch), as injuries seem to have forced them to move Junis (who has been great in the rotation) back to the bullpen to cover for an injury to Zimmer. They have also had some games where their defense turns into the Bad News Bears (when Buttermaker was still drinking).

Overall, the Royals are a solid team. They may lack the star-power and raw talent that the White Sox have in their line-up, so I think it will be hard to stay in front of Chicago. But it is fair to suggest they could contend for a playoff spot this Summer.

Good analysis! I'm conflicted about moving Junis to the pen because he's been so good. And obviously Keller can't stay in the rotation if he doesn't get fixed fast. Other than that, I think the lineup has a lot of room to get better as the weather heats up and Mondesi hopefully returns healthy. The White Sox have their own injury issues and the Twins are just as likely to fall on their face as they are to be the dominating force that the media predicts. No way Buxton keeps this up. I like our chances for an interesting summer!

And hey - how about Salvy? I just love the guy.

Good analysis! I'm conflicted about moving Junis to the pen because he's been so good. And obviously Keller can't stay in the rotation if he doesn't get fixed fast. Other than that, I think the lineup has a lot of room to get better as the weather heats up and Mondesi hopefully returns healthy. The White Sox have their own injury issues and the Twins are just as likely to fall on their face as they are to be the dominating force that the media predicts. No way Buxton keeps this up. I like our chances for an interesting summer!

And hey - how about Salvy? I just love the guy.

I have to say, I’m impressed with how Salvy has matured as a hitter. He still chases more than I’d like l, but not nearly as bad as when he was younger. If Dozier and Soler warm up with the weather, they may mash a little.

Agree with this completely. It’s going to be a battle to win the division. It’s possible, but they are the underdog to win it. But they are going to be a Wild Card contender no doubt. I expect them to play in October.

that said if they are first or second in the division after the break, they may be in the market for another bat and maybe another lockdown starter. Get a couple of FA’s before the deadline and they could try to make a run. But I hope they don’t want to sell the farm to make a long shot run.

Looks like will be a 2-team race between the Tribe and my Sox. Hopefully the Royals can help out the Sox vs Cleveland. Nice to see the Twins sucking though.

It literally doesn't matter how their season goes, they're not winning a game in the playoffs! It's their thing.
sad but true. They pucker up against the AL East when the bright lights come on.

ADVERTISEMENT