ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas

Pennsyhusker

Athletic Director
Aug 6, 2009
Harveys Lake, PA
So Kansas has fired Les Miles and, once again, needs a new coach. Does anyone else feel sorry for Kansas? I do. Lawrence is a great little college town, KU is a good school academically, and the folks down there are solid and nice people. All of my experiences there at the many away games I attended were positive. The fans were super friendly and were very gracious even if we pounded them into oblivion.
It is sad because Les Miles was a bit of a splash hire for them. I thought at the time, and I am sure many KU fans did as well, that he had a real chance to bring them some respectable football.

lawrence is a great college town and have had some good fun there.
in the 80’s, the wheel was one of the better college bars around and the ‘wheat meet’ had a great after party.
there were some super hot girls there, but there were a lot who thought their sh1t didnt stink - maybe it didnt?!
it didnt get the nickname ‘snob hill’ for nothing.
still confounding theyve been mostly bad for over a century.
shoulda stuck with mangino, but i guess that woulda come undone at some point with the abuse allegations.
its hard to say what ku can do, but our recent lack of even modest success is more troubling.
they have basketball.

My whole life I can remember KU only having 3 great teams.

2007- 12-1 with Mangino Won Orange Bowl
1995- 10-2 with Glen Mason Won Aloha Bowl
1968- 9-2 with Pepper Rodgers Lost Orange Bowl

KU has become a hotspot for Omaha kids. Far away but still close, they started doing an in-state tuition thing for Nebraska kids (That might have stopped), and they are "south" but not crazy south.

I like Les, seems like a fun guy that loves football and he has obviously had success. But I said from Day 1 this was a bad hire for Kansas. Les consistently lost 3-5 games a year at LSU with a roster full of 5-stars. He was used to recruiting at a high level and winning because he had better players, that was never going to happen at KU. KU needs a coach that provides them a strategic advantage by running schemes completely different than everyone else. Someone like Monken at Army.

trivia:

Which football program last played in a major bowl game and finished a season ranked in the top 10

Kansas or Nebraska?
Which school is most likely to regain a winning football program? Which program would a football coach rather coach at? Which football program has the richest history of winning? Geezus you need to get help.

I like Les, seems like a fun guy that loves football and he has obviously had success. But I said from Day 1 this was a bad hire for Kansas. Les consistently lost 3-5 games a year at LSU with a roster full of 5-stars. He was used to recruiting at a high level and winning because he had better players, that was never going to happen at KU. KU needs a coach that provides them a strategic advantage by running schemes completely different than everyone else. Someone like Monken at Army.
I thought he could make them respectable over a 3-4 year period. KU should have stuck with Gill. He would have eventually taken them to bowl games.

Reactions: headcard
I thought he could make them respectable over a 3-4 year period. KU should have stuck with Gill. He would have eventually taken them to bowl games.

Gill was a disaster that was getting worse and the players didn't really care for his style. At least that's how I remember it. Gill ended up where he was supposed to be in the end IMO.

Gill was a disaster that was getting worse and the players didn't really care for his style. At least that's how I remember it. Gill ended up where he was supposed to be in the end IMO.
Why was he a disaster at KU? Why was he so successful everywhere else? Good heavens he was trying to clean up a mess that had literally gang turf wars going on between basketball and football players. People criticize his strict rules but he was trying to weed out the gangsters and start by building a culture of discipline. Things were completely out of control when he took over. IF the boosters had stayed out of it, he would have eventually been able to recruit enough talent to win bowl games. I AM confident of that. I about puked when he took that job. You may recall that he was in the mix for the Auburn job earlier right? Gill is a helluva head coach who made the mistake of taking the KU job. KU needs to hire somebody under 60 and stick with them instead of firing guys every 2-3 years. You lose a year of program building every time you fire your head coach. Hiring re-tread old coaches doesn't usually work.

Why was he a disaster at KU? Why was he so successful everywhere else? Good heavens he was trying to clean up a mess that had literally gang turf wars going on between basketball and football players. People criticize his strict rules but he was trying to weed out the gangsters and start by building a culture of discipline. Things were completely out of control when he took over. IF the boosters had stayed out of it, he would have eventually been able to recruit enough talent to win bowl games. I AM confident of that. I about puked when he took that job. You may recall that he was in the mix for the Auburn job earlier right? Gill is a helluva head coach who made the mistake of taking the KU job. KU needs to hire somebody under 60 and stick with them instead of firing guys every 2-3 years. You lose a year of program building every time you fire your head coach. Hiring re-tread old coaches doesn't usually work.
His players were skipping classes and failing drug tests and he was doing nothing about it. But he had his cell phone policy though. :rolleyes:

Gill was an abject failure there, Weis was even worse. Beatty was probably the worst D1 hire in the history of the sport. The whole Zenger/BLG/Bowen deal was weird stuff. Lots of funny stuff going on there with a few of the big money boosters.

i forgot the turf war issue.
it should be a low-threshold job.
its not, i guess sku gives ku alum grief.

I used to feel sorry for KU football fans. Many years ago when we were still good we had a regular KU fan visitor here who seemed like a good guy, though a fan of a pathetic team.

Now, I don’t feel sorry for any program or their fans. We need KUs of the world to remind us that things could always be worse — though not much worse. For example, Athlon picks us to be #9 in the 2021 B1G. Sounds terrible, huh? BUT they predict KU #10 in Big 12. So obviously that should make us feel much better.

So Kansas has fired Les Miles and, once again, needs a new coach. Does anyone else feel sorry for Kansas? I do. Lawrence is a great little college town, KU is a good school academically, and the folks down there are solid and nice people. All of my experiences there at the many away games I attended were positive. The fans were super friendly and were very gracious even if we pounded them into oblivion.
It is sad because Les Miles was a bit of a splash hire for them. I thought at the time, and I am sure many KU fans did as well, that he had a real chance to bring them some respectable football.
No one can save Kansas, it's too late. ;)

players weren’t able to go on social media he didn’t allow it for one..He basically took their cell phones away from them..

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
i'll bet they opt for something sexier on offense.

I feel no pity for that school. They fired the last coach who put a decent team on the field for them for stupid reasons (Mangino). They're getting what they asked for.

Reactions: tpmcg
KU went the easy way in looking for relevance. Hire a big brand name. They need to pay attention to Iowa State and find the 30-something up and comer to build and develop from the ground up. Their goal should be immediate respectability. Then build from their. They can't even build a foundation.

trivia:

Which football program last played in a major bowl game and finished a season ranked in the top 10

Kansas or Nebraska?
EwAoURmWQAAWwvP

Les Miles gets $2 million to leave and Ku deservedly is left with this to carry on ...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT